Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
Hello thread
I might be going to look at a 2005 e46 330Ci soon. Anything in particular to watch out for? This one only has 39k miles on it and looks immaculate from the pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

coolskillrex remix posted:

3443lbs isnt that similar in weight to das volks e92 m3 that had basically no options? interesting.

This is a fully optioned 46 with a full tank and I'm fat as heck though.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Can any E46 owners with the sport package suspension comment on replacing springs/shocks? Mine are 80k old and I'm wondering if replacing them with OEM shocks (still sport) will be noticeably more comfortable. I'm honestly thinking of going back to the comfort package if not. I bought this thing so I don't have to feel every pebble in my rear end.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

destructo posted:

Can any E46 owners with the sport package suspension comment on replacing springs/shocks? Mine are 80k old and I'm wondering if replacing them with OEM shocks (still sport) will be noticeably more comfortable. I'm honestly thinking of going back to the comfort package if not. I bought this thing so I don't have to feel every pebble in my rear end.

I replaced sport springs with stock at 180k, half an inch higher and slightly firmer suited me but the old ones were so tired they aren't a good reference point.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Took the M3 up north for storage and brought the e30 down for winter fun. Finally saw an M4 on the interstate today it was in the crazy Phoenix Yellow or whatever. Looked and sounded stunning, I think I need one...

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Bought a house, remodeled the garage. Three cars two stalls.

:getin:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Tire rack turned out well

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Gotta make a decision on an E30 in the next couple hours, how much would I expect to pay a shop to replace the timing belt on a 91 325ix?

139K, pretty much original owner (mother in law -> this guy), great condition. $3500

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
500-800 maybe? It's not a very complicated job on e30s.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Agreed, it's not a bad job. I think $400-600 IMO. Either way, if it's clean it's probably worth it.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Powershift posted:

My 4.4 V8 sounds like pure sex, and if your lawn tractor does 50mpg on the interstate and my gas guzzler does 33mpg on the interstate, over 10,000 miles at 4 bucks a gallon, you'd only save $400.

That's like, 1/2 of an ABS module(sorry cornholio, on the plus side you read the codes before throwing $200 worth of parts at it to no avail)

Oh, it's not at all like my dad's '83 300CD. That was some serious marbles-in-a-blender. By BMW standards this engine does not produce evocative sounds, but in absolute terms it's no worse than any other four-cylinder engine ever, gasoline or diesel.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Buying it tomorrow. I can't wait to go broke into debt!

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
I am having the traction control, ABS, and e brake lights come on when I hit a pothole with my right rear tire. This is on a 2002 e46 330ci. I suspect the right rear wheel speed sensor, but suggestions are welcome. The lights turn off after shutdown and driving a few meters so I don't think there is a real issue in steady state driving. Just happens with Toronto potholes...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Have you checked the the wiring harness connectors? Something could be loose.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Is the button on this supposed to be spring loaded?

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-auto-trans-shift-lever-knob-25161216905

My E34's automatic shifter was missing the Shift Actuator Rod that locks it into place in Park ect without pulling the release button. I replaced that, but it still doesn't reliably lock into drive.

The Knob doesn't have a spring in it or anything of the sort, so it would seem the shift lock rod just falls into place by virtue of gravity. I'm not sure this is correct. Should I buy a new shift knob, or am I missing something else?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
By lock into drive do you mean actually lock into drive or notch into drive? No automatic transmission "locks" into drive. you're always able to push it up into neutral.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I would expect it to be able to move it up or down one from Drive ( N - D - S3) but not up from Neutral or down from S3 without depressing the Shift Release. It didn't seem to be doing this as cleanly as I would expect- it seems kind of weird that the Shift Actuator rod would rely on gravity instead of some kind of spring mechanism like most cars.

I got this car with the broken shifter however, so I don't know how it's normally supposed to go. Bonus pic of a Shift Mechanism that's never been cleaned:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
I don't even know how that crap could even get there. Its like it was purposefully deposited.

Edit: Wait, does the E34 have the brush surround on the shifter rather than an actual shift boot? I guess that would explain it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's the same shifter as auto e30s but the only thing that mine prevents me from shifting into without the trigger depressed is park and reverse iirc

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Cakefool posted:

I replaced sport springs with stock at 180k, half an inch higher and slightly firmer suited me but the old ones were so tired they aren't a good reference point.
Noted. I suppose I'll stick with the sport springs since STANCE IS EVERYTHING, but curious if there's a better damper option.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

It has a plastic sliding roller gate thing which predictably gets eaten over time, then it falls out and anything is free to end up in there. Mine was in three separate pieces when I pulled it out. This isn't mine, but it's basically how it came out:

http://s51.photobucket.com/user/mike_5er/media/0318111640.jpg.html

rscott: Is your trigger spring loaded? The trigger on mine just moves freely.

e: yeah, looks like I'm missing a spring somewhere: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747851

ultrabay2000 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 13, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

E46 touring poormobile. What sounds like bad rear anti roll bar links but isn't? They were replaced 6 weeks ago but something sounds like it's falling off back there and I can't see jack poo poo.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Looking for an early-2010s X5 (pref. '11 or '12). Anything dodgy I should be on the lookout for? Any major changes between models in that time?

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

destructo posted:

For not a lot more $, I HIGHLY recommend the Koni FSDs for the E46. Immediate improvement in ride quality without sacrificing anything in the way of handling. Swapped them on my sport pkg wagon last year and the difference was instantly discernible.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Bought at noon, drove up to the reservoir tonight (nice long twisty 1.5 width). I love my car. :3

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
iX? Look like Euro weaves / iX wheels. Nice looking :)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Cakefool posted:

E46 touring poormobile. What sounds like bad rear anti roll bar links but isn't? They were replaced 6 weeks ago but something sounds like it's falling off back there and I can't see jack poo poo.

In order of likeliness:

-Bad shock mounts
-Broken spring(s)
-Worn shocks
-Torn rear subframe

Alternatively, you might have bought a bad end link - I know when I did my fronts a while ago, I got a bad one.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

BlackMK4 posted:

iX? Look like Euro weaves / iX wheels. Nice looking :)

Yup, 91 ix. According to the pelican paperwork, the chip in it should be giving about 20 extra horsepower, dunno about the magnaflow. Other than replacing the timing belt, the only other issue is the bushing on the front right suspension mount, but that isn't urgent. I think I might need to replace the battery, the owner said he hasn't been driving it much the last few months, and it takes a few seconds to turn over (which he says is new). Once started though, smooth shifting, nice linear throttle response, and the suspension still feels pretty tight.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 14, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Yup, 91 ix. According to the pelican paperwork, the chip in it should be giving about 20 extra horsepower, dunno about the magnaflow. Other than replacing the timing belt, the only other issue is the bushing on the front right suspension mount, but that isn't urgent. I think I might need to replace the battery, the owner said he hasn't been driving it much the last few months, and it takes a few seconds to turn over (which he says is new). Once started though, smooth shifting, nice linear throttle response, and the suspension still feels pretty tight.

Replace or add new grounds from the starter to the motor / body and from the engine to the body for cheap first, usually the grounds turn to dust and cause weird issues.
Suspension is a rabbit hole on these cars - I just went through it. Worth it.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Bought at noon, drove up to the reservoir tonight (nice long twisty 1.5 width). I love my car. :3

Silver iX buddies! I love this car.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Man, the last version of small bumper E30s were so damned good looking.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

MrChips posted:

In order of likeliness:

-Bad shock mounts
-Broken spring(s)
-Worn shocks
-Torn rear subframe

Alternatively, you might have bought a bad end link - I know when I did my fronts a while ago, I got a bad one.

Thanks, the springs are 3 months old, the links are 6 weeks ish, I can believe the shocks are knackered at 180k but this rattle has come on suddenly in the last couple of days. I'll jack it up tomorrow and check the links properly, and hope it's not the subframe.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bad day to start... Then I took my 03 530i out. A tenth of a mile from my house I had to stop for a stop sign and felt that ABS kick in for a second, seemed like the front wheels... It was dry.

Half a mile later DSC, ABS and brake lights are on. No traction control working, haven't checked ABS, but I assume it's not working. Cruise is working, though, along with the speedo.

Any easy solutions? I kinda don't even want to gently caress around and just send the ABS module out and skip diagnosis... :smith:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

All these e39 abs failures almost make me want to stop driving my 540 like i stole it.

almost.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Powershift posted:

All these e39 abs failures almost make me want to stop driving my 540 like i stole it.

almost.

There does seem to be a rash of them. Mine is intermittent. Sometimes all 3 lights are on, sometimes none of them. It is all 3 lights every time, though, so I probably need to yank the module and send it off. I can drive it without that module, right? I just don't get ABS/Traction Control?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mechaet posted:

There does seem to be a rash of them. Mine is intermittent. Sometimes all 3 lights are on, sometimes none of them. It is all 3 lights every time, though, so I probably need to yank the module and send it off. I can drive it without that module, right? I just don't get ABS/Traction Control?

Or a speedo from what I've read.

In my case, I'll watch it for a couple days, but my thought is that the ABS engagement when it shouldn't have engaged was me feeling the module fail. Hopefully the lights will be off tomorrow, but I have a feeling they are just dead on.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
How hard is it to pull the cluster on an e30? My broken speedo is almost certainly a broken ground in the cluster since if I tap on the plastic I can get the needle to move, and going over bumps temporarily knocks it back into place. If it's something that can be done in an hour or so I might just pull it out at work and fix it there since they have a couple of nice soldering irons

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

How hard is it to pull the cluster on an e30? My broken speedo is almost certainly a broken ground in the cluster since if I tap on the plastic I can get the needle to move, and going over bumps temporarily knocks it back into place. If it's something that can be done in an hour or so I might just pull it out at work and fix it there since they have a couple of nice soldering irons

It can be a pain in the rear end. You drop the kick panel under the drivers dash to get out the front facing plastic piece undone to get at the bolts underneath. Getting the cluster out without breaking the tabs can sometimes be a challenge as well.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Any one have some advice for the rear ball joints on an e46? Because holy mother fucker they make me want to kill babies. C-clamp? No dice. Threaded rod and sockets? Striped. Punch and BFH? Just dents the bitch. Im going to run by harbor freight tomorrow and buy a ball joint press I think and hope that works. Everything else has been super easy so far. Pulled the rear sub frame in an afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

rscott posted:

Someone probably forgot the ground nut, or the ground trace on the board has come apart like you assume.

But yeah, first time will take an hour... I can do it in five minutes now. It's all about rolling the thing forward/backward after unplugging the three connectors and two bulbs.