Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Darunia's is definitely not among the most difficult level 3 missions.

I'm going to try applying the same strategy I just used for the Great Fairy, but for me he definitely is by default since those are the only three I've not beaten in 2 tries or less.

E: That didn't work at all. You can't do it fast enough. How is this not one of the most difficult?

E2: Oh hey look I just did Agitha's using the strategy posted earlier and it was easy. :geno:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I remember Darunia's being hard becaue there's so many Moblins. Maybe try using the critical backfire on them if you see them winding up? Might help clear some crowds.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I remember Darunia's being hard becaue there's so many Moblins. Maybe try using the critical backfire on them if you see them winding up? Might help clear some crowds.

That timing is extremely hard to pull off I find, since you have to be right at the correct distance when they do it to toss bombs.

Well I just managed to clear Zant's by the skin of my teeth so I guess I can just throw myself at Darunia's until I get it.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Regy Rusty posted:

Continuing in the vein of absolutely insane stages, the level 3 Great Fairy is totally ridiculous. I ended up ignoring: Zant, Girahim, Fortifier Captains, Seige Captains, a Dark Fairy to cure one of the keeps I needed to capture, and Healers (I did eventually kill the last ones) to go and capture the needed keeps and absolutely nothing else. I abused the fairy's invincibility during her combos to clear the barrier keep and then captured the other three, the last one a split second before one of the others was recaptured.

My allies were able to kill Zant and hold off Girahim all on their own while I took down the boss. It's nuts!

Now I've just got the 3 hardest ones left - Zant, Agitha, and Darunia.

E: Oh my god the level 3 Great fairy is dressed up like a Loftwing. :allears:

That is actually the last stage I cleared so far, and I pretty much did the same thing but since I'm so ground up I had time to get the Fairy and was lucky (is it random?) enough to have the siege and fortifier captains spawn in or near the keeps I was capturing. Not that they matter much. I do know that you can wholey ignore Girahim because your own forces take him out. I had to run back to base to take care of Zant but it ended up not costing me much time or health. My biggest hurdle there actually was the moblins getting random damage on me since the Great Fairy is a bit awkward to control in keeps. Sometimes my timing was off on my bomb drops I'd get punished. The end of that level is pretty crazy too, Cia takes FOREVER. She isn't difficult (She feels like the easiest of any of the character bosses) but man she has a lot of health.

For me I found Darunia's to be a lot easier using his full Y combo on mooks/moblins. If you can position yourself right you get to dodge most of the moblin spears and can clear massive waves quicker than the YYYX(i think that one? what ever his good one is). His full Y combo only has the one slow spot in it right before he starts spinning and once he starts he does some work.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

E: Oh my god the level 3 Great fairy is dressed up like a Loftwing. :allears:
Ahaha what? :stare: I'm too poo poo at video games to get this anytime soon, are there screenshots or videos anywhere?

Also this game is amazing.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I'm in this level in adventure mode near the top of the map (upper right corner). I have to play as Ganondorf and in order to unlock any more levels to the top or right of me, I have to clear the level with an A rank.

I really want to do this because the next level over is Sheik's rank 3 harp unlock.

I have failed this mission so much. I even grinded, level uped, crafted a better weapon, FINALLY I beat the level only I forgot I have to A rank it to proceed. So, 36 minutes of slaying and fighting an uphill battle I win, only to get no reward other than exp and rupees.

The strategy guide suggests level 40 Ganondorf, I'm about level 42. I guess I just suck that place is brutal! Gibdos everywhere!

Level starts, oh quick stop the reinforcers, oh dear, stop the enemy scout, oh dear save your in peril ally, oh dear you're losing a keep. Plus, it takes about 4 uses of my special meter to defeat the Gibdos and Stalmasters. This level is insane! If anyone has any tips I welcome them.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Use weak attacks on the Gibdos until they start charging for their scream. When their weak point is exposed, peg them with an arrow to stun them then run over and smash their weak point. For the Stalmasters, just smack them in the face then dodge behind them. This should force them to expose their weak point.

For Ganondorf in particular, YYYYYX (the giant arm swipe) is your keep-clearing combo. I like YYYYX for killing trash but the swipe is ok for that too. When fighting officers, launch them with YX, don't mash X, dodge cancel after the last hit, then just do a complete Y combo. Make sure you recognize which moves expose their weak points so you don't hit them out of the wind-up. Also dodge cancel your attacks liberally if you think you might get hit, your combo gets blocked, or you just want to reposition yourself to hit more dudes or something.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Vanrushal posted:

Use weak attacks on the Gibdos until they start charging for their scream. When their weak point is exposed, peg them with an arrow to stun them then run over and smash their weak point. For the Stalmasters, just smack them in the face then dodge behind them. This should force them to expose their weak point.

For Ganondorf in particular, YYYYYX (the giant arm swipe) is your keep-clearing combo. I like YYYYX for killing trash but the swipe is ok for that too. When fighting officers, launch them with YX, don't mash X, dodge cancel after the last hit, then just do a complete Y combo. Make sure you recognize which moves expose their weak points so you don't hit them out of the wind-up. Also dodge cancel your attacks liberally if you think you might get hit, your combo gets blocked, or you just want to reposition yourself to hit more dudes or something.

Thanks for the tips. You gave me some very detailed instructions and I greatly appreciate that.

Also, here's some Cia:

3 more days until this DLC comes to America!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You guys weren't kidding about that "Defeat the Demon King!" level. I have a 5 star Magical Sword and I still can't stop myself from losing.

I assume the trick is to kill enemies as fast as possible to get your allies' morale up, but with the bombchus and 2 keeps immediately in danger of falling on opposite sides of the map, I'm not sure how to get past the beginning. My best attempt ended up with me recapturing both my keeps after they'd been lost and getting a couple of additional morale boosts, but I still loss because the Allied keep fell despite me being in it desperately killing enemies for almost the entire time it was occupied.

I've got that one, the one it is required to beat to unlock, the Kill 1000 enemies one (:stare:) and then a couple others I skipped over earlier who probably won't be too hard.

Oh and A-ranking Darunia's mission. And then I'm done!*

*nowhere near done

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
To beat Spectacle Rock you have to race to 1000 kills as fast as possible. Like, that is priority one after you bump off the bombchus. Once you hit 1000 kills, your army gains a massive amount of morale. Then you just complete it more or less as normal, although fighting the map boss is tough because he likes to go directly for the allied base.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I just finished Darunia's. It seems like the main strategy is to divide your attention between capturing the keeps and maintaining a buffer between your base and the encroaching Moblins - don't bother fighting the Moblins directly, but make sure they always need to march through a few keeps, Captains, and Fi on the way to your base. My own allies were able to whittle down both Ganondorf and Zelda to nothing if I just kept swamping them in blue. Once you've captured the required four keeps, you can clear out the Moblins that made it to your base and then go take out Link.

Handy thing to know about Link, and possibly other officers: guard, don't dodge. Guarding against him baits him into busting out his special attacks. In the endgame maps, if you dodge/keep your distance, enemy officers will just try to poke you or spam guards of their own and waste all of your time.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Asimo posted:

Ahaha what? :stare: I'm too poo poo at video games to get this anytime soon, are there screenshots or videos anywhere?

Also this game is amazing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I just finished Darunia's. It seems like the main strategy is to divide your attention between capturing the keeps and maintaining a buffer between your base and the encroaching Moblins - don't bother fighting the Moblins directly, but make sure they always need to march through a few keeps, Captains, and Fi on the way to your base. My own allies were able to whittle down both Ganondorf and Zelda to nothing if I just kept swamping them in blue. Once you've captured the required four keeps, you can clear out the Moblins that made it to your base and then go take out Link.

Handy thing to know about Link, and possibly other officers: guard, don't dodge. Guarding against him baits him into busting out his special attacks. In the endgame maps, if you dodge/keep your distance, enemy officers will just try to poke you or spam guards of their own and waste all of your time.

Thank you! This was what I needed. The time I'd done the best before I'd stuck around Zelda too long and gotten ridiculous amounts of damage, because she's incredibly good at stunlocking me. This time I just kept recapturing the keeps they took ASAP after they fell, and didn't spend much time fighting anyone except for the Shield Moblin.

That and the tip about blocking to draw out special attacks (wow I wish I'd realized that ages ago) and I got it in one try.

Woo that's all the level 3 weapons!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You know, perhaps in some bizarro-reality the game teaching you that blocking exists to get you blown up is supposed to be the clue that blocking baits them into special attacks (so as to blow up your useless blocking.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

What is the dash button? Is co-op even useful in Adventure mode? I feel like the 2P actually takes away from my overall kills and makes it harder to get A ratings in some levels. And do the materials/weapons they collect even count?

Also, what is the fastest way to unlock everything? Even when I get an "A" it seems I often need to beat the level again to be able to search, and many of the map icons are confusing.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What is the dash button?

Hold dodge while moving.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What is the dash button? Is co-op even useful in Adventure mode? I feel like the 2P actually takes away from my overall kills and makes it harder to get A ratings in some levels. And do the materials/weapons they collect even count?

Also, what is the fastest way to unlock everything? Even when I get an "A" it seems I often need to beat the level again to be able to search, and many of the map icons are confusing.

Early on the search function is a bit of a pain because you'll have to replay some of the early levels repeatedly to get items like candles and bombs. Eventually though when you have more of the map open you'll know which squares you can easily and quickly re-do to get a particular item (hint, it's the "All Attacks are Devastating" levels).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
You know, on "all attacks are devastating" levels, people say to use the bow. This is absolutely 100% true, but I think people forget about Sheik's lightning shield, which is really funny on those levels.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

In co-op, both of your kills count towards your total. So if P1 gets 800 kills and P2 gets 600 kills, you count as having had 1400 kills that mission, which is more than the 1200 you need to A rank. Co-op play makes getting both the kill requirements and the time requirements on any mission a lot easier.

I find having a co-op partner is invaluable in every single "Kill all the bosses" levels, and it is useful in just about every mission that locks you into playing as a single person - P2 can play as anyone they want in those levels, and it can be a lot easier clearing an Agitha-locked level with Zelda's rapier on your side.

The only downside to co op is that the damage you each take is also totaled, so you need to be extremely careful. Taking even a little damage could be enough to push you off of an A rank if your partner ended up eating a big hit somewhere in there. Many of the game's stages are quite long, so having two players is twice as many opportunities for a careless moment to lose you your A rank.

Jsor posted:

You know, on "all attacks are devastating" levels, people say to use the bow. This is absolutely 100% true, but I think people forget about Sheik's lightning shield, which is really funny on those levels.

The one downside to this, I've found, is that each time you kill one of the captains, the game slows down and the camera angle switches. So against Poes, this often ends up with me running right into a fireball because I can't see anything when I trigger four camera switches simultaneously, as Sheik's lightning shield kills them all at once.

But another upside of co-op play is that the game never does those slow-down camera changes ever, so rushing through everyone with Sheik's lightning is a lot safer.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 14, 2014

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Flytrap posted:

Hold dodge while moving.
More precisely, you start running after a few seconds of not attacking or being hit. However if you dodge and then hold the button down, you'll immediately start running once the dodge is done without worrying about the delay. This is incredibly useful in escaping from large attacks, dodging out of an animation to pursue an enemy you knocked back, and similar stuff.

Regy Rusty posted:

(hint, it's the "All Attacks are Devastating" levels).
The early quiz ones are pretty good for this too.
:stonk:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jsor posted:

That is because Zelda's baton strong attack is better than both.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That is because Zelda's baton strong attack is better than both.

Nobody ever remembers the baton for anything more than that, but baton Zelda is a monster in general. Just not on the same tier as Shiek and Dorf. It makes me happy that Zelda is at least two of the best characters in the game.

Edit: Forgot gauntlet Link in "unstoppable god" tier.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 14, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think Midna, Link and Impa are probably better than Zelda, but that's me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Nobody ever remembers the baton for anything more than that, but baton Zelda is a monster in general. Just not on the same tier as Shiek and Dorf. It makes me happy that Zelda is at least two of the best characters in the game.

I like Baton Zelda but I've never quite gotten her to be a monster. She's so immobile which really hurts when trying to avoid damage.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Somehow I did Link's level 3 gauntlets mission in two tries even though I assumed initially that the poes would make an A rank impossible. That was a really fun mission, and best weapon in the game!

Also finally unlocked Zant & his combos and he's one of my favorites to play now.

It's ridiculous that almost every character/weapon in this game is fun.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

This is amazing, how do I make this happen. Fingers crossed for no "Defeat 231238 Imprisoned in 10 minutes!" missions.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

One last thing for the Impossible levels discussion, is the Master Quest DLC going to be like impossible difficulty high level stuff or just more of the same?

Lurkcopter
Aug 6, 2013

For a moment, I thought this costume was actually meant to be Dynablade from Kirby superstar.

Lurkcopter fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 14, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Lurkcopter posted:

For a moment, I thought this costume was actually meant to be Dynablade from Kirby superstar.

Well great, now all the DLC they release will disappoint me.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I've been playing this game for a couple of weeks and drat, I'm obsessed. I figured I'd drop by the thread and throw out my NNID. I added DrowningRabbit and RegyRusty so far, but I'll try to send some more later. My NNID is Chizou.

I admit, I'm looking forward to getting a new Adventure map. A part of me is completely frustrated by how many rare materials I still need, but I enjoy playing enough that I'm willing to bang my head against the wall until I get them all.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Turns out 14:59 is an A rank and 15:00 is a B rank.

I found this out on Lana's tier 3 portal mission. Fun times.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I like Baton Zelda but I've never quite gotten her to be a monster. She's so immobile which really hurts when trying to avoid damage.

Her range is longer than it looks even on basic combo swings, and almost all of her stuff hits a wide area, can be canceled out of, stuns things around her, or shoots her up to safety. She also has no attacks that I'd say are outright bad, and solid weakness and special attacks. Poes can still pose a problem and have to be planned around a bit, but they're not bad in general. I maybe overrated her a little bit, but I think her baton is better than the rapier and a lot of other characters, and it's fun being the most wizard-y character at the moment, at least until Cia and Wizzro arrive.

Also the level 3 baton mission is really fun, and I wish they'd actually open up restricted missions to any character after you A rank it, since it's just a fun mission overall. See how much you can get done before the onslaught begins.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 14, 2014

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

broken pixel posted:

I've been playing this game for a couple of weeks and drat, I'm obsessed. I figured I'd drop by the thread and throw out my NNID. I added DrowningRabbit and RegyRusty so far, but I'll try to send some more later. My NNID is Chizou.

I admit, I'm looking forward to getting a new Adventure map. A part of me is completely frustrated by how many rare materials I still need, but I enjoy playing enough that I'm willing to bang my head against the wall until I get them all.

I completely filled out Link's badge map and I think that's probably where I'll stop for now, the materials grind is so bad. I miiiiight try and at least get everyone their Attack Badges, and all the Farore's Winds, but the rest aren't astoundingly useful considering you shouldn't be getting hit in the first place.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I want a button-press cheat code for compasses because I am an old and forgetful and bad at games.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah I'm convinced getting a A rank on Lana's level 2 summon gate is impossible.

Level 50 or so and can't do it with a 420 deku spear, finally bit the bullet and tried the summoning gate and was mowing things down but lana would get hit so often it's unreal and dodge canceling couldn't help her at all. "At least I'll finish the mission with the required kills" I thought as I started attempting to find pockets of surviving enemies- only for Cia to go kill herself in the enemy base and the game not giving me enough time to get to her.

gently caress that mission, I refuse to believe it's doable.

IAD
Jan 28, 2011

Captain Marvelous!
Just played Ganondorf for the first time, my god :stare:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah I'm convinced getting a A rank on Lana's level 2 summon gate is impossible.

Level 50 or so and can't do it with a 420 deku spear, finally bit the bullet and tried the summoning gate and was mowing things down but lana would get hit so often it's unreal and dodge canceling couldn't help her at all. "At least I'll finish the mission with the required kills" I thought as I started attempting to find pockets of surviving enemies- only for Cia to go kill herself in the enemy base and the game not giving me enough time to get to her.

gently caress that mission, I refuse to believe it's doable.

Did it at level 40 with a 0-star Summon Gate. Do not use anything except the Summon Gate. Spam Argorok if possible.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oxxidation posted:

Did it at level 40 with a 0-star Summon Gate. Do not use anything except the Summon Gate. Spam Argorok if possible.

Every time I tried to do her normal strong attack to roll for it enemies would just show up and start beating on Lana, then the lizalfoes or whatever they're called came in and all of her animations for attacking take so long I get beat trying to even normal combo.

Then my base has all three armies in it so I have like 3 gibdos 4 lizafalos and a poe or two for good measure and argh

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Summoning gate level 2 is not only doable, it's easy. Her summons constantly stunlock everything onscreen so getting hit isn't a problem. You just need to pay attention to where the enemies are and position your swaths of destruction so they are all caught in it and can't get near you. Remember, aside from the occasional weak point smash, her actual weak attacks with the gate itself aren't important. Always be positioning yourself so that the summon at the end of the combo is catching all the enemies in the area.

Avoid using the powered up Manhandla combo since there is a significant pause while the first one disappears and the second two are coming out that enemies can slip through and you can't dodge cancel. Other than that all her powered up combos completely stun everything in front of her. As for her strong attack either use it right on top of a captain so the gate itself stuns them, or run far away if there are too many enemies around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I know it was posted before in the thread, but what the best way to A Rank the tiles that lead to Link's Fairy Bottle and Lana's Summoning Gate? The Zelda only map with the two armies wouldn't been so bad if Volga didn't take off half your health in one hit. And the other one sucks since the monsters take forever to kill...with the one time I was almost done was a failure because I ran out of time due to Imprison having too many invincible frames.

• Locked thread