Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Just a reminder when Columbus reached Hispaniola the native population was either worked to death under the direction of Columbus himself in the growing, harvesting, and processing of sugar or died of disease brought by the Spanish. Columbus was so cruel that Spanish royal officials were horrified by the treatment the natives suffered at the hands of Columbus and his men. Pretty much all of the Caribbean native population was wiped out. There are no native tribes of the Caribbean, they went extinct.

poo poo was so bad mothers were literally drowning their babies in a "wow, life sucks now, you shouldn't have to face this. Sorry, kid, nothing we can do" type of measure.

Let that sink in. Murdering your own infant child was preferable to letting it grow up to live under Columbus. He and his crew were so awful they'd test their blades on the natives to see how sharp they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The only moral genocide is my genocide.

Often with how these guys defend it it's more like genocide is always moral, as it is the inevitable result of the strong and superior culture overcoming the weak. If that sounds fascist as gently caress, well...

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

"One tribe has modern technology, the other doesn’t. The ones who don’t have it will want it. Conflict will occur, regardless of skin color."

Ah, gotcha, the Indians started it all out of their envy over our guns and horses. They deserved everything that happened to them then. Glad that's all sorted out.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Apparently Dr. Nancy Snyderman, a medical correspondent for NBC, violated a voluntary quarantine for her and her staff after someone they worked with in Liberia was diagnosed with Ebola. She wasn't symptomatic so there isn't any technical concern, but its basically giving right wing media and anti-vaxxers just the poo poo they're craving so expect to hear a torrent of smug and bullshit.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Might does make Right, but it is funny to then complain about Union thugs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Thump! posted:

"One tribe has modern technology, the other doesn’t. The ones who don’t have it will want it. Conflict will occur, regardless of skin color."

Ah, gotcha, the Indians started it all out of their envy over our guns and horses. They deserved everything that happened to them then. Glad that's all sorted out.

Black people want full auto AR-15s; therefore, white genocide is justifiable. :getin:

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Just a reminder when Columbus reached Hispaniola the native population was either worked to death under the direction of Columbus himself in the growing, harvesting, and processing of sugar or died of disease brought by the Spanish. Columbus was so cruel that Spanish royal officials were horrified by the treatment the natives suffered at the hands of Columbus and his men. Pretty much all of the Caribbean native population was wiped out. There are no native tribes of the Caribbean, they went extinct.
Seriously, Columbus was a leading figure in an important part of history, but he really is one of the villains of the story. I mean, sure the natives weren't saints or anything, but if we heard about some African warlord today doing the exact same things Columbus was doing we'd call the guy a monster and a war criminal without hesitation. He committed genocide. Normally we don't take kindly to people who do that.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Let's not forget taking child sex slaves and cutting people's hands off worn around their neck

Wait, are we talking about Columbus or Rush?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Guilty Spork posted:

[...]Normally we don't take kindly to people who do that.

Hey now, he did it to non-whites. So conservatives are just fine with it.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Fulchrum posted:

Wait, are we talking about Columbus or Rush?

Yes.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

beatlegs posted:

Columbus was a sick, sociopathic, racist gently caress. That conservatives are defending him is completely unsurprising at this point, even expected.

Of course they're defending him. They were taught as children that Columbus was this saint-like figure who had the courage to prove everyone else wrong and show that the world was round and discovered America all by himself. Anything else is sacrilege.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ToxicSlurpee posted:

poo poo was so bad mothers were literally drowning their babies in a "wow, life sucks now, you shouldn't have to face this. Sorry, kid, nothing we can do" type of measure.

Let that sink in. Murdering your own infant child was preferable to letting it grow up to live under Columbus. He and his crew were so awful they'd test their blades on the natives to see how sharp they were.

He was so awful he was actually hauled back to Spain in chains and then forbidden from ever setting foot on Hispaniola again.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think it's a big Holiday for Italian Americans. (in the same regard as Irish Americans with St. Patricks Day).

Really, I think that's the only reason it's still a thing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think it's a big Holiday for Italian Americans. (in the same regard as Irish Americans with St. Patricks Day).

Columbus Day was more significant when Italians were still discriminated against. It was kind of a big deal back in the early 1900s to have a holiday in the US centered around an Italian -- which is why you see resistance in Italian communities to removing it. Unfortunately, they picked a genocidal jerk.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
who is a good italian to have a day for?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Miltank posted:

Amerigo Vespucci.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
James Gandolfini. :colbert:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Miltank posted:

How about that guy that got all the trains running on time?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MariusLecter posted:

I'd take that day off.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I would totally celebrate a day dedicated to Pier Paolo Pasolini. :a2m:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I vote for Frank Zappa.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Miltank posted:

Mario Andretti.

Italian immigrant, came over to America and then kicked rear end in every form of the motor sport he had ever found himself strapped into.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

MariusLecter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4xIjWgBEMU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Columbus was Catalonian :colbert:

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

Sacco and Vanzetti

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Anubis posted:

Sacco and Vanzetti

Was ready to post this, found I had been beaten.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Little Caesar.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FuzzySkinner posted:

Most holidays are just recognition of a group's "arrival" as an Important Factor in national politics.

Irish-Americans = St. Patrick's Day
African-Americans = Martin Luther King Jr. Dar
Italian-Americans = Columbus Day
Unions = Labor Day
Veterans = Veteran's Day
and so on

There was a push in the 1980s to make Cesar Chavez's birthday a holiday, but it didn't take (Latinos didn't have quite enough political juice). Cinco de Mayo has become kind of an unofficial Latino holiday in some places. If you look at calendars from the 50s and 60s you'll often see "UN Day" highlighted (yeah, that didn't last). I wonder what would be the holiday or birthday that would signal Asian-Americans arriving on the political scene. George Takei's birthday?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
David Wu Day. Tiger suits for everyone!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Well the thing is, I could understand if you were an Italian-American and were up in arms over it being taken away from you. Obviously, to you it means more because it's source of pride and a celebration of one's heritage. It's likely less about Columbus, and more about those sorts of things.

As a german-american, I really wish I could go do a few Oktoberfests I see pop up around the US for example.

EVERY Culture should have a day to celebrate something, and invite others to become introduced to one's customs/traditions. I do wish we could have a day to honor Native Americans for example.

Stephen Crowder and others like him though? Just assholes looking for the next cross to bear against the imaginary "PC Police".

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Crowder being Crowder

Mayan is never properly used to refer to the civilization or ethnic group, it's Maya. Mayan refers strictly to the language. Also "Incans" is not a word, the society called Inca are more properly referred to as Tawantinsuyu, the Four Lands, and were a multi-ethnic empire. They were referred to as Inca by the Spanish because the title of their Emperor was Sapa Inca. It's like calling the British Empire and the people under the empire Her Royal Majesty the Queen. :goonsay:

As for the gold. They mined it. Usually with workers who were not slaves. God Crowder you are an ignorant idiot.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Well look at Herr Hitler trying to celebrate German culture. This is where national news causes problems. Growing up in the Midwest, Italians were just regular Americans (note: the only Italian family at my school was actually Lebanese). What could be more American than pizza and pasta, everybody's favorite food, right? But, for example, I know a fair number of people in the Philly area who were raised "not to like people whose names ended in vowels" and many of them keep a bit of that wariness. In areas where Italian is just another shade of white, nobody cares about Columbus Day. In areas where Italian is another shade of brown, Columbus Day is going to matter a whole lot. This is one of the areas where national media and regional difference combines to create an "oppression" narrative. In areas where Italian is just another shade of white, Columbus Day is kind of embarrassing. Why differentiate yourself and, also, wasn't he actually Spanish? Post-Watergate, heroes don't have to be perfect anymore, so throw in the whole genocide discussion and it becomes a complete non-starter. But if Italian is a shade of brown, he's a cultural hero. Imperfect, sure. But he loving discovered America! How could you not celebrate him? In case you didn't notice, America's name also ends with a vowel!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm a Euro-mutt: Dutch and German on one side (possibly Hessians who came over and quit the Revolutionary War to go farming), the entire British Isles on the other with a splash of "European Jewish" thrown in. Both sides were in America long enough to assimilate before my grandparents were even a sparkle in someone's eye. I'm not upset that there's no Welsh or Cornish Day but my genealogy is so muddled that I don't have an ancestral identity.

A "Native American Day" will likely never happen because there were and still are so many diverse nations and they weren't all terribly peaceful toward each other. It would be nice to see a couple weeks each year in history/social studies classes devoted to whichever nation happened to be most prominent in each region but that would mean facing up to what Uncle Sam has done to them over the years and that'll never happen.

Shbobdb posted:

But, for example, I know a fair number of people in the Philly area who were raised "not to like people whose names ended in vowels" and many of them keep a bit of that wariness.

I always wanted someone to speak up to noted anti-immigrant rear end in a top hat Tom Tancredo and say "You're awfully high and mighty about nativism for someone whose name ends in a vowel" just to see what he'd say.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

skaboomizzy posted:

A "Native American Day" will likely never happen because there were and still are so many diverse nations and they weren't all terribly peaceful toward each other. It would be nice to see a couple weeks each year in history/social studies classes devoted to whichever nation happened to be most prominent in each region but that would mean facing up to what Uncle Sam has done to them over the years and that'll never happen.
Arizona schools used to have a whole section of the curriculum in grade school devoted to the Prehistoric and Historic Native cultures of the state, including their life ways and histories. I'm not sure how much of the really lovely stuff was covered, but it was something. Of course it's not a required part of the curriculum and rarely taught anymore.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
If your last name ends in Y are you sometimes the wrong kind of immigrant?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm seeing a lot of slav in that Y, so I'm gonna say it usually acts like a vowel but some English names end in "y" so sometimes it can function as a consonant.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

moller posted:

If your last name ends in Y are you sometimes the wrong kind of immigrant?

If it's obvious that it used to end in an I and someone at Ellis Island 130 years ago just hit the Y key instead, then yes.

Fake Edit: God dammit, Shbobdb

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
My last name ends with 'Z' and Americans never spell my first or last name right on the first try so I'm like the worst immigrant.

:poland:

InvincibleMadHouse
Jan 19, 2009

by Ralp
"They ... brought us parrots and balls of cotton and spears and many other things, which they exchanged for the glass beads and hawks' bells. They willingly traded everything they owned... . They were well-built, with good bodies and handsome features.... They do not bear arms, and do not know them, for I showed them a sword, they took it by the edge and cut themselves out of ignorance. They have no iron. Their spears are made of cane... . They would make fine servants.... With fifty men we could subjugate them all and make them do whatever we want."

From the journal of Columbus upon meeting Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Which you could try to give him the benefit of the doubt on (he's being hypothetical, not tyrannical rear end in a top hat!) if he didn't do exactly that.