Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

I never heard of The Orion Conspiracy. Does it run on fine on Windows 7? Amazon has it for pretty cheap.

It's a DOS game so you shouldn't have any problem running it in DOSbox but there's also a Windows talkie version. I actually recommend the speechless DOS version because the terrible voice acting ruins the atmosphere. It's really bad even by 90s standards.

Download the brief comic book that came with the game called Devlin's Story. The guy really has a hosed up past.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Tossing my hat into the :skeltal:Halloween Roundup:skeltal:, I'm focusing on completing 4 games in my backlog:

Week 1: Deadly Premonition

This was around my third time trying to get into the game, and having this beginner's guide was a great help. I really like everything about this game, except for the combat. By the end of the game it took multiple headshots with the magnum to take down even the most basic enemy, and melee was always risky because of the invincibility frames that enemies have before attacking. Aside from that, I highly recommend this game, but make sure you do the sidequests that get you the helpful items, and play on easy.

Week 2: The Walking Dead, Season 1
Week 3: Dead Space 3
Week 4: ZombiU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Doctor Goat posted:

I played a bunch of Deadlight and thought it was okay until you drop into a sewer where you do nothing but jump around on wooden deathtraps made by a guy who can help you, but will only do so if you get through them all.

Then, right after that, I began trying a jump and kept launching off to the right through the geometry at mach 5.

I went back to Deadlight last night and played through this part and it almost made me quit forever. The part after that with the instant death helicopter has not improved matters either. I'd like to finish the game but I feel like even if I do, at this point I'm not going to have anything positive to add.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I could forgive Deadlight's faults if it weren't for the loose controls. Puzzle platformers use rigid grid movement to keep everything 100% consistent. It's difficult to judge things like distance and you'll clip through otherwise solid objects. Every time you turn around you take a half step which can throw you off a ledge.

Deadlight serves as the example for why Oddworld or Prince of Persia fall apart if they were designed like a Mario game or more free form platformer. The Flashback remake fell in the same trap.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dying Light looks like it could be interesting, a "have your cake and eat it too" approach to zombies. Weaksauce cannon fodder by day, deadly hunters by night.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Is there a way to not slam doors in Outlast when playing on console? It really takes me out of the game.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is there a way to not slam doors in Outlast when playing on console? It really takes me out of the game.

On PC you hold the action button down to slowly open or close doors. I guess it's the same on consoles.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

drat, these Halloween lists are putting mine to shame. My plan is basically to play Outlast: Whistleblower when I manage to tear myself away from Wasteland 2, and I'll probably end up buying Alien Isolation because the consensus seems to be it's awesome.

Neverending Nightmares has been out for a bit, it ended up getting a lot of criticism for the gameplay and length, which is a shame because I love it and think it's one of the most unique horror games in a long time. It's a great Halloween pick if those two issues don't bother you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
One thing that doesn't get mentioned enough about Deadly Premonition is that the ending is genuinely kind of hosed up and disturbing, the mood whiplash is intense. I kinda wish I hadn't watched the last few videos of SGF's LP.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I love Deadly Premonition but I did not like what I watched of SGF's LP. It was just kinda boring. I like the Best Friend LP more because of that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Weird Games days 1-4

5. Tecmo's Deception

Unjustly executed by your brother who framed you for the murder of your husband, you sell your soul to Satan for revenge. Acquiring a haunted mansion, your goal is to harvest the souls of intruders to revive the prince of darkness. Deception is a blend of RPG and dungeon construction. You create rooms and drop traps to murder the people invading your house. Some of the intruders are poor fools looking for a place to rest, others want to dominate or destroy you. You can harvest their souls for magic to power your traps, destroy their bodies for gold, or even save their bodies to turn into monsters.

Deception has spawned a long running series but the original stands out as being the most married to its concept. The later games lean towards fantasy/science-fiction with an anime style and a focus on stringing trap combos. The original has a heavy haunted house aesthetic It's a dark, bleak game that makes you feel awful with every kill.

6. Veil of Darkness

The early 90s was a transitioning period for RPGs and adventure games which lead to a lot of hybrids. Veil of Darkness follows in the vein of Ultima 7, being largely an isometric adventure game with RPG-like inventory management and combat. You're a cargo plane pilot whose plane goes down over Romania and are prophesied to defeat the vampire lord Kairn. The setting is generic European goth with small villages, creepy graveyards, and dark castles.

There's not much to say about Veil of Darkness but that's a good thing. It doesn't do anything unique but nails all its strengths. The 2D graphics are large and detailed and the non-linear hybrid gameplay works well (it has an automap, thank god!). The puzzles are far more naturalistic than most games in the genre. Horror games are rare enough but RPG-horror is practically unheard of.

7. Elvira

Coming from Veil of Darkness is Elvira, a similar blend of adventure and dungeon crawling RPG but from a first person perspective. Taking place after the events of the movie, hostess Elvira has inherited a castle but accidentally unleashes her ancestor's monsters from within. You, the player, must break the curse that haunts the castle.

This is the first game by Horrorsoft who would go on to make a sequel and Waxworks. With that said, I find the original Elvira to be the best of their games. Years before The Elder Scrolls, Ultima Underworld, Lands of Lore, and Eye of the Beholder, Elvira was a sleeper hit for advancing the genre Dungeon Master revitalized in 1987. Horrorsoft would establish their trademark gory death scenes with a few shockers like a demonic chef adding your head to her pot of stew.

Elvira 2 featured more detailed animations and scripted story sequences but it separates its adventure elements and dungeon crawling into two distinct zones while the first game mixes the disparate elements. It also has an obtuse magic system where it's possible to use plot critical items. These aren't long games and I definitely recommend playing with Gamefaqs open because they're noteworthy enough to be worth the 90-180 minutes it takes to beat them.

8. The Dark Eye

Edgar Allan Poe is the father of contemporary Gothic horror yet his influence is rarely felt in video games. The Dark Eye is a Myst-style cinematic adventure game that offers vignettes of Poe's stories framed around a story of a crumbling family. You, the one-eyed protagonist, are visiting your uncle Edwin and cousin Elise with your brother Henry who is ready to settle down after traveling the world. Edwin is getting on years and is becoming increasingly engrossed in his macabre paintings. As you fall under the ill effects of his paint thinner while learning about the affair between your cousins, you begin slipping into mad dreams. These nightmares retell Poe's classic stories The Cask of Amontillado, Berenice, and The Tell-Tale Heart with narrations of The Masque of the Red Death, Annabel Lee, and The Premature Burial during certain segments. William S. Burroughs narrates and plays crazy uncle Edwin.

The Dark Eye is notable for its highly detailed puppets. The animators would set the puppets against their CGI backgrounds and create lighting specific to the environment. For an FMV cd-rom game in 1995 the result is startlingly lifelike. I remember seeing the game and thinking how much it reminded me of James and the Giant Peach. If you want to get it to run you absolutely need a Windows XP virtual machine but it's a cinematic adventure game with no puzzles and should be experienced first hand.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 13, 2014

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So with The Evil Within now available on Steam, has anyone played it enough to form an opinion? The only visible review is a thumbs down with "Mouse Acceleration/10" as the comment. There are apparently 7 positive ones but they don't actually display so I'm guessing it's an automatic filter thanks to the review embargo/NDA crap.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Verizian posted:

So with The Evil Within now available on Steam, has anyone played it enough to form an opinion? The only visible review is a thumbs down with "Mouse Acceleration/10" as the comment. There are apparently 7 positive ones but they don't actually display so I'm guessing it's an automatic filter thanks to the review embargo/NDA crap.

That's just a Steam thing, nothing to do with embargoes or filters or anything. I think it just counts people clicking on the Yes/No buttons underneath the review text field regardless of whether they've actually written a review to go along with it.

From the few user reports I've read so far it sounds like the recommended requirements were incredibly overblown, and it runs fine in 1080p without 4 gb vram. Apparently the mouse and keyboard controls are indeed hosed, though.

ovaries fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 14, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Is it actually out though? I have it pre-loaded and it still says that it's unavailable, and from what I had heard was that the release date was the 14th and not the 13th?

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

It's getting a staggered release; it's unlocked in Europe but everyone in the US will have to wait six more hours.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Verizian posted:

Metacritic has 2 8/10 reviews up but yeah there isn't much of an opinion. Some goons in the PS4 thread have early copies and are liking it quite a bit. One guy is 5 hours in or so.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Anyone know if the PC version is better with KB&M or pad? Haven't heard too much about that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Within has been really good so far. Early goings and all, but it seems super ambitious and they really nailed that grungy 80s horror atmosphere - it's very Clive Barker, and it looks incredibly gorgeous. I can already tell the story is gonna go in some weeeeird directions.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Anyone know if the PC version is better with KB&M or pad? Haven't heard too much about that.
From all the talk so far, definitely pad.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I haven't heard anything...but I personally think any 3rd person game controls like crap with KB&M...I'm also the terrible person that will use an Xbox controller for FPS games if I can on PC.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh wow, Evil Within is coming out already? I'm kinda surprised there's not a thread for it.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh wow, Evil Within is coming out already? I'm kinda surprised there's not a thread for it.

I think once the game hits and people are actually playing it, someone will get sick of it derailing other threads and make one...just not me because I'm lazy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It seems to be pretty below the radar in general. I hadn't even heard of it until it was mentioned in this thread.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I remember the Horror games thread complaining about the unkillable Baron von Blubba ghost in the trailers for The Evil Within. Is it as annoying a mechanic as it may seen?

EDIT: Welp I thought I was in the steam thread.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 14, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I remember the Horror games thread complaining about the unkillable Baron von Blubba ghost in the trailers for The Evil Within. Is it as annoying a mechanic as it may seen?

The game is very rigidly divided into chapters so I'm thinking it's a specific mechanic for a section of the game, but I'm just assuming here, 'cause I haven't encountered it yet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's a no-commentary playthrough of the game starting here.

I really hope the textures aren't that bad on PC cause drat.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They aren't. I don't know which version that is, but it's flat and drab as gently caress. The PC version actually looks incredible. Here's a random screenshot I took.

http://imgur.com/QYFswtE

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's not bad, but incredible might be pushing it a bit.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, it does look better in motion than whatever random screenshot I took without really thinking much.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I really need The Evil Within to be good. I don't have anything horror related this October to play through. Please be Resident Evil 4 meets The Last of Us. Please let the enemy that randomly drops you to one health be the worst of the bullshit.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 14, 2014

Vakal
May 11, 2008

1stGear posted:

I just clicked to a random part of that video and the main character is running around like his life depends on him getting to a toilet and suddenly the game's title made a lot more sense.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Within's biggest flaw is that they didn't use the Japanese title PSYCHO BREAK

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vakal posted:

I just clicked to a random part of that video and the main character is running around like his life depends on him getting to a toilet and suddenly the game's title made a lot more sense.

Haw.

I said it elsewhere but the upgrade system here looks kind of boring, which concerns me. I mean, even Re4 made it fun by altering how some weapons functioned (stripper clip for your rifle, for example, or the kicker bonuses for maxing out a weapon). Here it looks like its just spend X horrorbucks to hold +1 medkit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Speedball posted:

Haw.

I said it elsewhere but the upgrade system here looks kind of boring, which concerns me. I mean, even Re4 made it fun by altering how some weapons functioned (stripper clip for your rifle, for example, or the kicker bonuses for maxing out a weapon). Here it looks like its just spend X horrorbucks to hold +1 medkit.

It's not like you got the interesting gun bonuses until a weapon was almost fully upgraded tbf

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Someone did make a thread for it a week or two ago but it's already long gone.

Also yeah in RE4 those fun alterations were basically endgame/new game+ only because only the final upgrade for each weapon did something beyond the basics of more damage, higher capacity, etc.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Despite showing as still unreleased, I've launched it on Steam, toyed around with it just a bit before I'm off to bed.

Jesus christ it looks incredible :stare:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

1stGear posted:

I'm going to take a guess and say it's PS3. I hope I hope I hope.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm anxious to hear if the pc version is truly locked at 720p?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

ethanol posted:

I'm anxious to hear if the pc version is truly locked at 720p?

1080p (at least that's what I'm on) but with the borders.

edit: yeah that video has to be ps3, it looks so much better on PC.

As usual, the film grain is not nearly as noticeable in-motion as it is in screenshots. You really want to see this played rather than shots.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I'm pretty interested to hear if that prepurchase survival pack makes any real factor for early on in the Evil Within. Initially it seemed like a pathetic pre-order bonus, but learning how sparse all the ammo is going to be makes it sound like it'll be more useful.