Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

piss boner posted:

Holy crap this. People balk when I tell them my hourly rate is $75, pretty much the same hourly rate for an auto mechanic.

That's cheap as poo poo for a mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

KillHour posted:

Yeah, I charge $125/hr if I like you, with a two hour minimum. Really weeds people out.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Shampoo posted:

I quote them a stupid amount of money, and if they say yes, well, then I get a stupid amount of money. If they say no, then good.

Yep I do this too. I will charge based on how much I want to do each particular job. poo poo jobs get the "gently caress yeah" rate.

Also, I charge by the day. It's rare for a "day" to be more than 3-4 hours :)

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Z3n posted:

Up rates 50%, quote at +20% time a job would normally take. Anyone who balks you didn't want as a customer anyways. Charge according to actual time spent, which should be under the quoted amount, or cut people discounts if you like them / they don't cause trouble. If your problem is cheap assholes, easy fix, price them out up front.

Be up front with rates and storage pricing, have a rule and stick to it - when people as why say your good will was being taken advantage of. You'll have less work but will probably make the same amount of money with far less stressing over dickheads.

I'm being selfish here though cause I just wanna see you work on your projects more :buddy:

This, a thousand times. I stopped taking bullshit piecemeal jobs three years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. I've built two cars in the last two years, both were sweet projects I enjoyed working on, the clients were a pleasure to work with, and I got paid a fortune to build them.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

KillHour posted:

Is it? Guess I have been too low with it. Getting $80 to install a surround sound system this weekend, no wiring inside the walls.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I believe this is called the "principle of least regret". Name a price where you would be equally happy doing the job as not doing the job. If they take it, great, you make a bunch of money. If they don't, great, you don't have to work for them.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

the spyder posted:

Bandsaw progress: The DoAll is cleaning up nicely.

Awesome. The one at work here came off a WWII battleship (like most manual machinery in academia). Still has the gov't inventory plaque even. It also has feeds and speeds for cutting asbestos on the data wheel there. :supaburn: I have had more occasions where I've wanted more than our 16" DoAll can cut than I can count. Bully for you getting a big one right off the bat.

Does the welder on it work? If it does that alone would be enough for me to choose the DoAll over the other one. Band welders are so freaking useful not only for things like what's pictured below, but because you can buy bulk blade and/or if you only snap a few teeth, make blades for smaller saws on the side. Protip: keep this information to yourself.

Yours looks to be modified in different ways than ours, but if you need a hand identifying anything, I'd be happy to take pics. I think there's even a manual here somewhere.

glyph fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 8, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

piss boner posted:

Holy crap this. People balk when I tell them my hourly rate is $75, pretty much the same hourly rate for an auto mechanic.

My regular mechanic is $85/hr IIRC, though he'll throw the "gently caress you" rate at stuff he doesn't want to work on. That rate ranges from 1.5-2.5x his normal rate, depending how much he hates the car.

And worth every penny of it.

He also has a 1 person shop, with 2 lifts and full HVAC even in the shop area. I consider him to be affordable.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

piss boner posted:

Is it? Guess I have been too low with it. Getting $80 to install a surround sound system this weekend, no wiring inside the walls.

$100/hr 2 hour minimum. Plus travel time. $150/hr if you have to fix something the end user broke, and they don't have a support contract. That's what my company charges, and we're worth every penny.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for the support. I'm to the point where I really just need a break. Maybe in a few months I will want to start accepting more jobs, at a much higher/enforced rate. For now, I just need to get the leaches cleared out and finish this drat shop. :)

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Pile of mechanics liens, waiting process, pile of spare parts cars, happy dance.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
$500 in paint/supplies later…

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It looks like a little storage shed until you notice the man door.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Five gallon bucket for scale :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm confused about the actual size of the building, can you hold up a banana for size comparison?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Wait, is that a watchtower?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Just like a 13B, he can't be idle.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
With Spyder not accepting new work, who else would do a quality job cataloging an FD's faults in the American Northwest (WA/OR/ID)?

parid
Mar 18, 2004
TurboJeff is still taking projects but I think its more buying distressed cars and selling them on for a profit once healthy again.

You may be forced to do what the rest of us have. Become your own expert. Its a long road but a rewarding one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

He said it's something else when I asked before but I dismissed his answer and assumed it is indeed a watchtower.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Rhyno posted:

He said it's something else when I asked before but I dismissed his answer and assumed it is indeed a watchtower.

I think its an owlery now.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Rhyno posted:

It's a well house I think?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I thought it was a lookout tower to warn of ninja invasions. Gotta protect the FD's.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

leica posted:

I thought it was a lookout tower to warn of ninja invasions. Gotta protect the FD's.

gotta hold back the tide of s2000's and miata's somehow.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Alzabo posted:

With Spyder not accepting new work, who else would do a quality job cataloging an FD's faults in the American Northwest (WA/OR/ID)?

It's one step further north, but Alan Autotech in Vancouver, BC, were awesome when I had my FC. I spent nearly 2k at another 'rotary expert'(Eunos Automotive) in an attempt to fix an intermittent rough running issue and was about to ditch the car when I took it in to AA. They called me back when I was still returning home from them and told me they fixed it. (O2 sensor).
I continued to use them while I still had the FC and never felt overcharged. (Unlike Eunos)
They race RX3's (and other cars) and I suspect that the shops main purpose is really to support that.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Alzabo posted:

Jeff's Automotive in WA. Or just try bribing me.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Work is kicking my rear end and I've been sick most this week. For some reason I decided I needed a another project FC. This 1988 GTU popped up on CL while I was home sick and I was the first person to contact the seller. Nice guy. He was moving and decided to sell it after he couldn't get it to start. He bought it in 94 at 54k and drove it to 105k. He moved here in 06 and never registered the car. It was driven on and off for ~ 6 more years and garaged up to this point. Then two years ago he had a kid and his wife made him park it outside, under a tree :(. He really did not want to scrap it or sell it to someone who was going to drift it. It's 95% stock. There's a K+N intake and strut tower bar, along with aftermarket stereo that was all installed around 99'. Oh and it has full maintenance records. It's one of the cleanest FC's I have seen and I'm torn if I want to hang on to it or not.

The no start was pretty easy to diagnose. The plugs were dry and the fuel pump made no noise. Sadly my worse fears were confirmed when we drained the tank. The smell was overwhelming, even with a fan.

I did have a spare pump and after flushing the tank with a few gallons of gas, we reassembled everything. I'm trying to find a tank/sender- as this one's just too far gone.

The good news is: it started first turn of the key. It has perfect oil pressure and sounds really good. We did find a dried out oring on the thermostat housing/cap. Easy fix. Once we find a new tank, I'll start cleaning it up and changing the fluids. Oh, the bad news: the brake pedal is on the floor. The reservoir was dry, but I added fluid and I'm assuming I am going to find a puddle of fluid under on the wheels tomorrow. At least it will be easy to find the leak.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow that is super clean and a nice sound system to boot. I'd keep it if I were you, the odds of finding another one in that condition are probably pretty slim, how much did you pick it up for? Would make an awesome commuter car :)

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

That interior is immaculate. Keep it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
But cars! Too many cars! I'd love to keep it. I'm going to try to hold on to it until the spring, after that I'm not sure I can justify keeping it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If I didn't live in the opposite corner of the country I'd take it off your hands :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I can't even remember where you are but I'm wondering what you would sell it for...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It passed! Holy poo poo. One year later nearly to the date, we passed our final inspection for building, mechanical, and plumbing. Next up electrical!

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 28, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Congrats! So jealous. :allears:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good job, that's one good looking legal garage.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
It may have taken almost a year, but the end result was more than worth it. That is a great investment that frankly I am a bit jealous of. lucikly, I have a friend with a lift and a shop I can make use of when needed.

So if you aren't doing as much car stuff,how about another cool thread about the property like the one you use to have in The Goon DIY? I find it very interesting, and I'm sure some other AI goons would be as well. Thank you for sharing all your hard work with us!

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

the spyder posted:

But cars! Too many cars! I'd love to keep it. I'm going to try to hold on to it until the spring, after that I'm not sure I can justify keeping it.

wanna export it to Canada? :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

FullMetalJacket posted:

wanna export it to Canada? :)

I have wanted to build an FC RX7 coupe lifted on convertible springs for rallycross...

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Congrats on finishing and just in time for the rain and winter too. Now you can stay toasty and dry and work on cars and/or the inside!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Content:

Delorean at C+C PDX.

A few weeks back my dad sent me a CL posting asking if I could go check out a rolling chassis for him. Long story short we bought it. It's a 62 Scout, 99% rebuilt. The fellow who did the work passed away before he could get to paint and we bought it from a fellow who only wanted the body. For $1200 we got a rebuilt engine, transmission, transfer case, new clutch, slave, starter, exhaust, rebuilt axles, brakes, diffs, suspension, and mediablasted/painted frame. It has a larger Dana 44 rear end and we think it has a posi trac diff. This weekend we remove the spring over lift (Dad's a purest). We are going to take his 61, remove the body/wiring, paint the body, drop it on this chassis and sell the old one. Oh, and add in a overdrive at some point. Finding this saved not only thousands in work, but more importantly time we don't have.

Now there was one issue with the Scout chassis... it's to be stored in our barn. The barn that's full of our machine tools... Soooooo this weekend I quickly built a wall and started moving equipment. I sadly did not get the equipment moved from the barn- but that's the goal for the holiday weekend coming up. We did manage to pickup the lathe and bandsaw we had stored at friends shop.

One of the guys helping me move the equipment drove this. Paid $400 for it. On the way over it ate the driver side CV. Amazingly enough our local parts store had one in stock at 4pm on a Sunday.

Forgot this earlier- the guy who rents the shop space drives this.

Did you know you are supposed to grease ball joints? Oops. God drat it. Did the brakes while we were in there. Otherwise it's still running strong at 320k.

Cleaned up the welding area and got my new TIG/Plasma cart together enough to move it to the new shop.

It was a busy weekend, so ignore the lack of details. This coming weekend I'm hoping to move all the large equipment from the barn.
Time to take a nap at my desk.