Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No love for the cantankerous old man of the thread who sort of stopped writing reviews for when real life started up again??

While we're on the subject, whatever happened to Nefud, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

TL posted:

No curls, 0/10, would not bang.

Seriously, DoctorWhat, that's awesome.

Please do not convince this man to get a perm.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Doctor Who series 8 (34): DoctorWhat Tumblr redirect page

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Barry Foster posted:

Prior Marcus wrote reviews?

:allears:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

You are the hero this thread deserves, but not the one it wants to associate itself with. :allears:

I always thought of him as the thread's dopey but basically good-hearted step-child.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Republican Vampire posted:

I always thought of him as the thread's dopey but basically good-hearted step-child.

Dopey? DOPEY!? I'll have you know...

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

When are you getting a perm, DWhat.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So my fiancee and I met with the pastor tonight to go over the last minute stuff for our wedding ceremony. As she's an organizational freak, my fiancee wrote down all the love quotes from famous "geek" movies/shows so we could make sure they were appropriate for church, and we're using one from Nine and one from Five.

However, I'm trying to come to terms with her writing Dr. Who next to them...

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

CobiWann posted:

So my fiancee and I met with the pastor tonight to go over the last minute stuff for our wedding ceremony. As she's an organizational freak, my fiancee wrote down all the love quotes from famous "geek" movies/shows so we could make sure they were appropriate for church, and we're using one from Nine and one from Five.

She's just being an old-school fan!

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Dopey? DOPEY!? I'll have you know...

I really wanna ruffle up your hair, kiss you on the forehead, and give you some pocket money.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Trin Tragula posted:

If nothing else, I'm sure it's good for your teeth.

Why would writing a review be good for his teeth? :confused:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

^^^ Go watch The Caves of Androzani already, it's only the best story that Doctor Who's ever done vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 14, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Why would writing a review be good for his teeth? :confused:

Presumably, a metaphorical gnashing of teeth is less dentally destructive than a literal one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

Go watch The Caves of Androzani already, it's only the best story that Doctor Who's ever done

If you haven't, you probably think he's exaggerating. He's not.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

People like you two are the reason I was very underwhelmed by Caves of Androzani the first time I watched it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh. I also had it hyped, which is why I was surprised that it WAS as good as the reputation. V:shobon:V

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Huh. I also had it hyped, which is why I was surprised that it WAS as good as the reputation. V:shobon:V

It was the first Five story that I watched because of the way it was hyped on here/in the fandom in general, and I just... really didn't connect with it. I appreciated it more after watching through Five's run, but it's still not, like, one of my all-time favourites.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

rocket_man38 posted:

Well the official doctor who FB page posted that Foxes cover and most people seem to not like it. I didn't find it bad, but Queen fans are calling it sacrilege.

It sort of misses the spirit of the song, since it's basically about having the most high-octane fun you can possibly have. Foxes' version is just fine by itself, but it isn't really Don't Stop Me Now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cleretic posted:

It sort of misses the spirit of the song, since it's basically about having the most high-octane fun you can possibly have. Foxes' version is just fine by itself, but it isn't really Don't Stop Me Now.

Because juxtaposition isn't a thing? :confused:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It works in context, and it could work wonderfully in different contexts- but straight up on its own it misses the point of the song.

However that's fine.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cleretic posted:

That's part of the beauty of it, though. This is a space train in the year whatever. It reminds me of the quote in Dreden Codak's Pretend to be a Time Traveler Day. “If the Future did a documentary of the last fifty years, this is how badly the reenactors would dress.”

Imagine you get this manuscript with lyrics of Don't Stop Me Now. Some self-styled "20th century music historian" says "oh, yeah, sure, I can reconstruct that, I know all about 20th century music :v:." There's a pretty good chance that you'd get something nonsensical. It might be Disco, it might be Late '80s Hiphop, it might be '90s Europop. Hell, maybe it's set to the tune of Eleanor Rigby because don'tcha know that was the foundational work of 20th century music?

It's like people who dress up like pirates or early vikings at the "Renaissance" festival. Late '70s music in a 1930's train sung in a slow Jazz style with modern-day vocal fry singing? Sure, why not?

I'm giving them way too much credit, honestly. I doubt they planned that, but I really like it from that perspective.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The fact that people in the distant future completely missed the point of the song is, uh, the point.

Jsor posted:

I'm giving them way too much credit, honestly. I doubt they planned that, but I really like it from that perspective.
What other way is there to read it, unless we're suggesting that the producers of Doctor Who literally do not realize that Don't Stop Me Now wasn't actually a 1920s lounge song? We hear it during the scene where they joke about poor historical accuracy, so it's clearly playing into that.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What other way is there to read it, unless we're suggesting that the producers of Doctor Who literally do not realize that Don't Stop Me Now wasn't actually a 1920s lounge song? We hear it during the scene where they joke about poor historical accuracy, so it's clearly playing into that.

Well, you can rewrite a song in a different style without explicitly tying into that stuff. It's done all the time. I missed the historical accuracy joke though, so maybe I missed that the point I was making was the real point after all.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fair enough I guess, I'm referring to the bit where a guy with a weird mechanical eye attachment walks past them just after The Doctor says how accurate the recreation is.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The most Who-appropriate Queen song is probably from A Kind of Magic anyway. I will accept either "Who Wants To Live Forever" or "Gimme The Prize." Because there's only one Time Lord now, you see.

Been listening to old Big Finish episodes and today's was Dust Breeding. The pseudo-companion in that one, Bev Terrant, I think she is--it sounds like she's in at least one previous episode but does she show up in any more?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It does, I suppose, really need the context of the scene to make sense. They're just sharing the cover devoid of all that, though, and without the scene outright saying 'this is a really lovely historical recreation' it's just a cover of Don't Stop Me Now that misses why the original is so great.

And regardless of whether or nor it was intentional, it is a bad cover in that respect.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

The most Who-appropriate Queen song is probably from A Kind of Magic anyway. I will accept either "Who Wants To Live Forever" or "Gimme The Prize." Because there's only one Time Lord now, you see.

Been listening to old Big Finish episodes and today's was Dust Breeding. The pseudo-companion in that one, Bev Terrant, I think she is--it sounds like she's in at least one previous episode but does she show up in any more?

Don't think so, pretty sure they just drop her outright after that. No great loss, she wasn't a bad character but she was pretty generic. Did you know about the Thing before it happened?

e: oh, hey, guess she shows up in the Bernice Summerfield line maybe? At least she's got like five paragraphs on the Doctor Who wiki. That seems like a lot for a two audio bit player, but then again that's not a real indication of anything where that wiki's concerned

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 14, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jet Jaguar posted:

If they turned '39 into an episode I would be incredibly giddy.

As is stands though I'll have to live with Interstellar doing that instead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Does she work for the post office and has recently massively improved their efficiency? :ohdear:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

thexerox123 posted:

It was the first Five story that I watched because of the way it was hyped on here/in the fandom in general, and I just... really didn't connect with it. I appreciated it more after watching through Five's run, but it's still not, like, one of my all-time favourites.

To be sure, while it is the Robert Holmesiest episode to come from Robert Holmes and is wonderfully acted and directed, it's meant to cap off Davison's run, particularly his last season. Davison's third season is one of pain and failure in a way that had never been seen before or since in the series. Obviously the idea of building emotional tension over an entire season has caught on since then, but it was drat experimental at the time. The telling-off Tegan gives the Doctor at the end of Resurrection would set the stage for current Who more than anything else at the time (for better or worse).

So one of the many reasons Caves is so special is that, for once, the Doctor doesn't care about the big picture. The only thing that matters is that this time he does right by his companion. No matter how terrible Adric was in theory and practice, his death set the tone for the rest of Five's era, which Davison acted through remarkably. JNT expected you to be thinking of this when you heard Five's last words.

Again, it's what we expect from the series now. But at the time it was groundbreaking.

<- I might be just a little biased.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I like Androzani, of course, but Davison has the honor of having TWO outgoing stories, and Circular Time: Winter is frankly superior, albiet with the benefits of hindsight made possible by being produced in 2006.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

If they turned '39 into an episode I would be incredibly giddy.

The Girl Who Waited is sort of similar thematically.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

cosplay in motion, by me

because someone built a TARDIS for NYCC and I had the opportunity

Ummm...I'm bad. Stop usss!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ewe2 posted:

Ummm...I'm bad. Stop usss!

Oddly, the layout of the Javits Center is actually very like a theoretical "web of caves"...

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
The Foxes cover was fantastic, but there again I love genre-swap music; it's not like anybody could have done it better than Freddy in his own style, so why not see if it's possible to switch the style? Nobody's saying it's better than Queen. It's not like it's the Scissors Sisters cover of Comfortably Numb (which, admittedly, I also quite like).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

One Swell Foop posted:

The Foxes cover was fantastic, but there again I love genre-swap music; it's not like anybody could have done it better than Freddy in his own style, so why not see if it's possible to switch the style? Nobody's saying it's better than Queen. It's not like it's the Scissors Sisters cover of Comfortably Numb (which, admittedly, I also quite like).

I loved their cover too :allears:. If you want some more good genre-swapping music, check out Postmodern Jukebox on Youtube.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jet Jaguar posted:

She was in "The Genocide Machine" and I think she was later a recurring character in the Bernice Summerfield audio plays.

After The War posted:

To be sure, while it is the Robert Holmesiest episode to come from Robert Holmes and is wonderfully acted and directed, it's meant to cap off Davison's run, particularly his last season.

For a while I've thought of it as an Eric Saward formula episode written by Robert Holmes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Bob Holmesiest serial is The Ribos Operation

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

^^^ Go watch The Caves of Androzani already, it's only the best story that Doctor Who's ever done vvv

I think Caves is very, very good, but it's also basically the Doctor wandering into a much grittier show and getting killed as a result. I like that it was done well once, but don't think it should be held up as an example of what the show "should" be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't know if Caves is the best Doctor Who story (though it is absolutely one of my favorites) but the third episode cliffhanger is without question one of Doctor Who's finest moments.

• Locked thread