Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
A couple people said Bates accent was a Maryland one and I thought they were full of poo poo because I grew up in the DelMarVa area and have never heard anything like that. Then last night I started season 4 of The Wire and a couple of the white women have that exact loving dialect/inflection. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

SomethingLiz posted:

Am I the only one who was a little disappointed with this episode? I love a good evil clown, but I didn't think he was very scary. And the rest of the show was definitely more freak show than horror show.

Yeah, the way the clown was presented did nothing for me. You immediately know he's murderous, so just watching him do tricks didn't really have any tension in it, and once he started murdering it was just dull. He looks pretty stupid to boot - feels like a late 2000s grime-core reboot of It. Pretty dull.

The song was completely out of place and too on the nose. I love Bowie, but I just rolled my eyes at that scene.

I might be more harsh on this season because of how let down I was with Coven. I'll give it one or two more episodes and then probably tune out if it doesn't grab me.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

fullroundaction posted:

A couple people said Bates accent was a Maryland one and I thought they were full of poo poo because I grew up in the DelMarVa area and have never heard anything like that. Then last night I started season 4 of The Wire and a couple of the white women have that exact loving dialect/inflection. :psyduck:

The "hon" is the giveaway. She's trying for a Baltimore accent.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

joylessdivision posted:

I want to say it was to prove a point that Laveau was as bad as Lalaurie?

Pretty much. Laveau believed that she was a good person because of all the good things she did with her powers, while ignoring having to steal a baby every year in sacrifice to Legba "Everyone pays the price"

She didn't want to torture Lalaurie's daughters for eternity because they hadn't directly hurt her, but that makes little sense seeing as she was ok with the mob justice killing them in the first place :shrug:

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

TheIndividual posted:

Yeah, the way the clown was presented did nothing for me. You immediately know he's murderous, so just watching him do tricks didn't really have any tension in it, and once he started murdering it was just dull. He looks pretty stupid to boot - feels like a late 2000s grime-core reboot of It. Pretty dull.

I think there's something intriguing about him. The costume is obviously just "dirty-bloody murder clown", but there's a weird sense that he wants something, or is looking for something. He seems really sad.

Like, the costume seems to be a put on because that's what he wants to be. He wants to be a friendly entertainer of children, which is why he kidnaps teenagers and children. He wants to be loved. He wants to be a clown, but he's a hideously deformed monster.

I bet you the reason his skull cap looks like someone's skin is because he literally murdered a clown and stole his costume and hair. He saw a clown performing for children and said "I want to be that", and so just murdered the clown, took all his poo poo, and is now kidnapping people for a party so he can be that clown.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 11, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

fullroundaction posted:

I watched the premiere with a few friends, one of whom is from Baltimore, and right away when she heard that she said "Oh god, that's a lovely Baltimore accent."

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Pretty much. Laveau believed that she was a good person because of all the good things she did with her powers, while ignoring having to steal a baby every year in sacrifice to Legba "Everyone pays the price"

She didn't want to torture Lalaurie's daughters for eternity because they hadn't directly hurt her, but that makes little sense seeing as she was ok with the mob justice killing them in the first place :shrug:

Don't forget Axeman being in Fiona's hell and loving it as like a reward for being a serial killer(?)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Power of Pecota posted:

Don't forget Axeman being in Fiona's hell and loving it as like a reward for being a serial killer(?)

I bet it's like the Axeman's copy and the Axeman has his own personal hell where he gets killed by a group of teenage girls for their team building exercise for all eternity.

Like Lalaurie's daughters are probably in their own personal heavens since they didn't really do anything wrong besides being children of a psychopathic slave owner. Their copies are just there to torment Lalaurie.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I watched the premiere with a few friends, one of whom is from Baltimore, and right away when she heard that she said "Oh god, that's a lovely Baltimore accent."

It really did remind me of a pared down version of some of the old John Waters regulars from his old films.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I only really enjoyed seeing the World's Smallest Woman. She seems adorable.
After Coven, I've gone in with very low expectations. Here's hoping this isn't a shitshow of epic proportions.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I could barely understand any of the lines the world's smallest woman said.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Not a terrible start to the season. I feel like judging anything right now is a hard task because as someone put it earlier AHS is not in a hurry. That being said, I really hope they take the Twisty character and turn him up to 11. Being as famous as this show is they really need to bring this clown character to life if they want it to look more than a cliche serial killing clown. I want that added layer of depth to the character that really brings the eeriness to fruition. I can't say I was a fan of the two headed girl. Maybe they will prove me wrong and use the inner thoughts and communication to it's advantage. If they are smart they will keep with the "hosed up innocence" type stuff throughout the season, as it is thoroughly unsettling. I enjoyed the first two seasons of this show a whole lot, and never got a chance to watch season 3 (heard I wasn't missing anything either). That being said, I understand how they can take a played out idea (haunted house / evil asylum) and turn it into gold. If they gently caress up the Freak Show concept they probably have lost all bearings on how to write horror.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

I could barely understand any of the lines the world's smallest woman said.

I couldn't understand anything at all.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
The completely incomprehensible part was the girl just standing there while a murderclown walks up to her. gently caress that. I see a murderclown and I am loving getting the hell out. I can poo poo myself, scream and run all at the same time, send over a murderclown and I'll prove it.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

TOOT BOOT posted:

I couldn't understand anything at all.

I vaguely made out something about a big car pulling up outside, so thank god for closed captions.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I get that she's saying lines in a language she doesn't speak but I wish they would have coached her more on inflection.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Honestly it's the pitch of her voice. It's so high I couldn't make out anything.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
She said that a chauffeur in a big car came and bought out the whole show. Which was the only mention of the rich kid and his mother before they were seen sitting alone.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Jesus is that what she said? haha, I guess that makes the following a lot more sensible.

There's no loving way to understand her helium'd chipmunk squeaking.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Power of Pecota posted:

My impression was that the Axeman's hell was turning his dream on its head. Legba gives the Axeman everything he wants: his cottage in the country, a life away from gawkers, and the woman he's always wanted. Yet, Fiona doesn't want him and the knowledge of her contempt makes him miserable. Everything he worked and aspired for becomes meaningless because Fiona despises him, the seclusion, and the cottage. The Axeman is going to spend eternity realizing just how hosed up his lover is.

I think LaLaurie's daughters are sent to hell because they do nothing to stop their mother's reign of terror. From what I remember, the girls are more concerned about potential suitors being scared away than the literal pit of slaves being tortured below them.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 12, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

empty sea posted:

The completely incomprehensible part was the girl just standing there while a murderclown walks up to her. gently caress that. I see a murderclown and I am loving getting the hell out. I can poo poo myself, scream and run all at the same time, send over a murderclown and I'll prove it.

That part was kind of dumb but when did anybody in any horror media outside of You're Next behave in a rational manor or care about self-preservation? Yeah if any normal, sane person saw a guy in a creepy clown costume obviously wearing a human scalp on his head and covered in blood they'd run the gently caress away. I wouldn't go "Aww, well I'm scared and all but this guy is producing flowers out of his blood-soaked costume so I'll just be delighted instead!".

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
At a certain point I could understand being so paralyzed by fear/confusion that I'd stay in place while he's right there going through the whole flower spiel. Sort of a "Holy poo poo, what the hell is he doing, this is obviously not right but now I don't want to make him mad by not going along with it" since he's already close enough to probably prevent you from getting away if you tried. At that point maybe I'd think it was better to see if an opportunity presents itself-- like something distracting him-- rather than just make a break for it and hope for the best.

But yeah, if he's still 50 yards away I'm running for the car. gently caress that poo poo.

(Also I think she thought her boyfriend just got a clown to surprise her, at least until it was too late-- she says something like "Wait, you didn't hire him?" when he comes back. Which just begs the question of why she thought her boyfriend would hire such a horrifying clown, but still.)

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

To play devil's advocate, this is the '50s, and there hasn't been a ton of "evil creepy clown" media. Yes he looks pretty disturbing and murderous to us, but he probably just looks bizarre to them. They also had her exclaim that she thought the boyfriend hired him.

I mean, it would appear that rich kid's mother doesn't think twice about hiring him herself, in broad daylight. And you could chalk that up to her naivety, but again, it's not like he's carrying around a bloody machete everywhere.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

When it comes to bad decisions, I'm more concerned about the sheriff who thought it would be a good idea to arrest a possible serial killer in the middle of the night, alone, while insulting other potentially dangerous suspects, and then decided not to immediately leave when it became clear that the group was hostile.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For what it's worth, even if things unravel badly (and I have a MUCH better feeling about this), they remembered the "horror" in the title this time out.

Season 3 felt like it was trying to be another show with random murders thrown in. This feels like a sequel to Aslyum so far.

Windows 98 posted:

I enjoyed the first two seasons of this show a whole lot, and never got a chance to watch season 3 (heard I wasn't missing anything either).

Kathy Bates was entertaining even if the script goes absolutely nowhere and fucks her character development completely over at the last second.

But other than that, stay away from X-Men Potter Story: Incomprehensible Edition. Nothing ever goes anywhere, continuity is all over the place, and they changed the plot every 3 episodes jumping from lackluster idea to lackluster idea. It's Heroes Season 3 caliber of poo poo writing. Fortunately AHS isn't bound by season to season continuity so it's in the very rare and unique position of being able to blow off mistakes consequence free.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 13, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

QuoProQuid posted:

When it comes to bad decisions, I'm more concerned about the sheriff who thought it would be a good idea to arrest a possible serial killer in the middle of the night, alone, while insulting other potentially dangerous suspects, and then decided not to immediately leave when it became clear that the group was hostile.

That scene was so bizarre. The sheriff's acting was really strange too, like someone they just pulled in off the street and said "you're an old-timey cop or something here are your lines."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The AHS twitter confirmed that the series has been renewed for a fifth season.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
There isn't any real plot going on with this, just disjointed scenes that have their moments of creepiness/scariness and lacking of any real horror. The best way I can explain this first episode was a bunch of decent plates of food but one is a taco, another is an ice cream cone, and another is a side of pesto sauce. Nothing goes together, but I like all the elements. The thing not bringing it together is the lack of a horror. The only reason the clown is scary is because he's a clown with a good makeup artist.

Bleh, it makes me sad.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Veskit posted:

There isn't any real plot going on with this, just disjointed scenes that have their moments of creepiness/scariness and lacking of any real horror. The best way I can explain this first episode was a bunch of decent plates of food but one is a taco, another is an ice cream cone, and another is a side of pesto sauce. Nothing goes together, but I like all the elements. The thing not bringing it together is the lack of a horror. The only reason the clown is scary is because he's a clown with a good makeup artist.

Bleh, it makes me sad.

I disagree. Granted it's the first episode, but the Freak Show's survival has been more or less established as the main binding element. Right away they're threatened with being removed from the land, and the general idea that people need to come in to support it financially (thus the reasoning behind making Bette & Dot the main attraction.) You'll rely on Elsa's matriarchy and visions of grandeur to figure out ways to make that happen, having already apparently seduced the landlord and masterminded the act. Then you have the inner turmoil, Jimmy's resentment at living abnormally and the brewing romantic tension between him and the twins that has only just been hinted at. And of course, the fact that they killed/butchered a police officer, with more sure to be snooping around and judging them with less than due process. Finally, Twisty himself, stalking the grounds and perhaps threatened that a new act will draw the attention of Jupiter.

I see where you're going with the food analogy, and I think I even used a similar one to describe Coven. As that season went on, the actual survival of the Coven became less and less of a factor as each witch became embroiled in their own ridiculous, often petty drama. I hesitate to play the first episode card, but I will, because they've introduced a lot of interesting elements, and the truly horrific moments may be yet to come (in a show that has never really been that horrifying overall.)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Life On Mars bit was interesting. I wonder if it was intentionally anachronistic or if they're setting up another "SEVEN WONDERS - GET IT?!?!?!" moment and the season finale will be which circus member gets to be the new ring leader by successfully traveling to Mars.

Also, predicting that Nice Sarah Paulson is secretly the Evil Sarah Paulson, and the grumpy one is just fed up with sharing thoughts with a lying psychopath.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Veskit posted:

Bleh, it makes me sad.

I think you're confusing this season with last season :v:

starr
May 5, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Also, predicting that Nice Sarah Paulson is secretly the Evil Sarah Paulson, and the grumpy one is just fed up with sharing thoughts with a lying psychopath.

That would not surprise me at all given that Nice Sarah Paulson was the one who stabbed their mother. Grumpy Sarah Paulson then later stabbing her is good evidence for this too.

I really hope some of the side carnival characters get more fleshed out and don't end up just being props. Some flashbacks would be cool like in Coven.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Do y'all think any of the other freaks from the ads will show up, or were they just eye candy teasers? I'm not talking about the obvious ones like Michael Chiklis or Angela Basset, but the ones like the lady with her head on backwards or the one who is conjoined twins joined at the eyeballs.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

criscodisco posted:

Do y'all think any of the other freaks from the ads will show up, or were they just eye candy teasers? I'm not talking about the obvious ones like Michael Chiklis or Angela Basset, but the ones like the lady with her head on backwards or the one who is conjoined twins joined at the eyeballs.

In the past the teasers often weren't directly related to the actual season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Life On Mars bit was interesting. I wonder if it was intentionally anachronistic or if they're setting up another "SEVEN WONDERS - GET IT?!?!?!" moment and the season finale will be which circus member gets to be the new ring leader by successfully traveling to Mars.

In the "coming up this season" trailer they had another scene of a character singing an anachronistic song, so it's probably going to be a thing.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Murphy just tweeted. Twisty's showing what's under the mask tomorrow.

Him going apeshit in the bus and with the knife is going to look tame compared to his face, isn't it :negative:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lord Krangdar posted:

In the past the teasers often weren't directly related to the actual season.

This is good because I do not need that Open Wide dude in my life. Twisty is enough.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Chris James 2 posted:

Murphy just tweeted. Twisty's showing what's under the mask tomorrow.

Him going apeshit in the bus and with the knife is going to look tame compared to his face, isn't it :negative:

Knowing this show, he's either got a malformed vagina for a face, or his face will be completely normal.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Can I call fangs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

King Vidiot posted:

I think you're confusing this season with last season :v:

If it weren't for the fact some elements of last season were pure poo poo I'd be on board.

• Locked thread