Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I thought the 500,000 to unlock the Main Grid was fair, but honestly most of these unlock scores need to be adjusted. Laboratory and Nostalgia are completely different games, it makes no sense to gate them behind being good at the arcade mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Starting a new game of The Evil Within. twitch.tv/scyron57

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The black bars, iffy framerate, bad camera, and slightly janky controls in TEW are pretty frustrating so far. It's very japanese survival horror in a good way though. Batshit insane story with perfectly cheesy characters. I only made it to ch 3 but it seems like that's where it opens up and starts coming into its own. Definitely going to be a 7-8/10 game for most people, maybe a little lower but please don't take that in a massively negatively way. If you like this kind of game you're going to be very pleased.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

The black bars, iffy framerate, bad camera, and slightly janky controls in TEW are pretty frustrating so far. It's very japanese survival horror in a good way though. Batshit insane story with perfectly cheesy characters. I only made it to ch 3 but it seems like that's where it opens up and starts coming into its own. Definitely going to be a 7-8/10 game for most people, maybe a little lower but please don't take that in a massively negatively way. If you like this kind of game you're going to be very pleased.
How is it compared to RE4? I'm planning to pick it up at some point.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How is it compared to RE4? I'm planning to pick it up at some point.

So far it's like 90% the first part of re4 in the village but with a little more stealth. If you want RE4 taken a level further with loving crazy supernatural elements and maybe a little deadly premonition you're not going to get anything better. Of course I'm only near the start and things could change but that's how it feels now. It's an evolution of RE4 before all else.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

So far it's like 90% the first part of re4 in the village but with a little more stealth. If you want RE4 taken a level further with loving crazy supernatural elements and maybe a little deadly premonition you're not going to get anything better. Of course I'm only near the start and things could change but that's how it feels now. It's an evolution of RE4 before all else.
Cool, that sounds like a rad experience :)

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I like it, and even on casual have died a few times, even hid much longer than need be during the tutorial and have gotten a good scare twice already.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
I'm partway through chapter 3. I got over the black bars immediately because I was totally sucked in. If this is just the start then I think I'm in for a real treat. I feel like I'm playing RE4 for the first time only it's better.

Also this game looks fantastic. I'd also say it's more harrowing than Alien Isolation.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm all for increased speed and difficulty but I feel like Pix the Cat needs something from my fingers that's just not possible after getting in a little ways.

Like, my brain is on it... I am thinking fast enough, but either my fingers, or the sensitivity of the D-Pad is just not cutting it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Surlaw posted:

Main Grid unlocks at 500,000 on Starter Grid, Laboratory unlocks at 700,000 on Main, Nostalgia (the best mode) at 1,000,000 on Main, Daily Challenge at 1,200,000 on Main, Dessert Grid at 1,500,000 on Main. I haven't unlocked Dessert yet but came infuriatingly close before screwing up (1,445,000)!

FYI I just unlocked Laboratory for "5000 eggs" while playing Starter.

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
pix the cat is so good. also its hilarious that the menu music is pretty much the Devo song "gut feeling"

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Evil Within had a decent start but wow it all clicks in chapter 3: it's basically an expanded take on the village from Resident Evil 4 but you can use melee weapons like a burning torch or hand axe.

There are gruesome unique death animations for almost every enemy type: one of the guys who throws scythes (literally just like in RE4) chopped off my hand as I pleaded for mercy and then chopped off my head.

I haven't seen any framerate issues, though when I started it installed a patch that says it fixes "performance" and "saves." There is some brief pop-in on a cutscene, though (but not while actually playing, strangely). There's multiple control selections available, one of which is fairly similar to Dead Space.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, the pop in is way worst in cut scenes, it's barely noticeable in game.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Do the weapons feel good? And the controls? Can't tell if the twitch I watched featured a terrible player or not.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For some weird reason I'm not surprised that EW is getting mixed reviews, but I am pleasantly surprised that most of the bad/mediocre ones are just people whining about it being to hard. I don't know why I'm even bothering to look at reviews. I have more faith in Mikami making a good game than a reviewer not sucking at it. Can't wait to pick it up in the morning. Sounds like the first SP experience I'm going to really thoroughly enjoy in a while (with the exception of TLOU because it was just a beefed up version of a game I already played).

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 14, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

echronorian posted:

Do the weapons feel good? And the controls? Can't tell if the twitch I watched featured a terrible player or not.

The guns feel like RE4 but a little more modern. Controls are good but not like CoD fluid. It's absolutely playable. The aiming has been difficult for me so far but it's probably just because I haven't experienced a lot of it yet.

I've been thinking about the game a lot since I stopped playing last. It's very memorable in a weird way. There's like zero consistency in the rhythm of the game and if you try to get everything and see everything on your first playthrough you're going to be frustrated. The game is very dynamic and fucks with the player often. It's so chaotic and bizarre.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It's not that it's hard (although it is hard). It's that you die instantly and without warning a lot and the game will then plonk you back at the start of the area that you've just exhausted. It's unforgiving and not very fair.

I completed Chapters 9 and 10 last night. And while 9 was probably one of the most memorable 'levels' I've played in a long time, the game goes out of its way to try and sabotage that by placing instant kill traps around that have no obvious way to disable (at least not obvious until it's already killed you at least once). There's nothing that ruins the mystery and tension of exploring an area like doing it 3 or 4 times in a row and not understanding how it is you died each time.

I actually really like the game, but it's got a lot of issues.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

Just completed Ch3.

The game is pretty RE4ish. My only issue is weapon accuracy and that won't be an issue later on.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kinda seems like this game will really shine in NG+. Upgrades and extras ahoy and less bullshit deaths once you have a general idea of what to expect.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Feenix posted:

FYI I just unlocked Laboratory for "5000 eggs" while playing Starter.

I forgot about that but yeah, you can grind out certain unlocks in other ways too. I don't think there's a non-score way to unlock Dessert Grid, so I'm still stuck there.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone played the new Sherlock Holmes game? Looks like a more interactive, slower paced LA Noire, but with less weird poo poo.

Thinking of grabbing it when it gets cheap. It doesn't look like 60$ worth of fun, but it looks like something I'd chunk 25-30$ at and be cool with.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone played the new Sherlock Holmes game? Looks like a more interactive, slower paced LA Noire, but with less weird poo poo.

Thinking of grabbing it when it gets cheap. It doesn't look like 60$ worth of fun, but it looks like something I'd chunk 25-30$ at and be cool with.

The writing was interesting but I hit a brick wall in the third case. The gameplay got too repetitive for me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Is it from the same company that makes the PC ones on Steam? (aka Testament, vs Jack the Ripper, etc) If so then it's probably excellent, because almost all of those are really drat good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Feenix posted:

I'm all for increased speed and difficulty but I feel like Pix the Cat needs something from my fingers that's just not possible after getting in a little ways.

Like, my brain is on it... I am thinking fast enough, but either my fingers, or the sensitivity of the D-Pad is just not cutting it.

I've felt this since my first playthrough. It's a fun game but I actually think the controls kinda suck.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

second-hand smegma posted:

I've felt this since my first playthrough. It's a fun game but I actually think the controls kinda suck.

They are absolutely less responsive than Pac-Man Championship. They're not terrible but it throws me off.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Debating EW or waiting for Bayonetta 2 next week. RE4 is one of my all time favorite games, but the Bayonnetta 2 reviews are trending very high (91 on Metacritic after 40 reviews). I might just flip a coin.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I guess the marketing for The Evil Within was pretty bad since pretty much nobody seems to be talking about it. I just made it through Chapter 3, seems like a pretty solid game so far. Gameplay is really similar to TLOU, except everything is spooky all the time and there are no human enemies (so far?). But since I'm not very far I'm not going to go much into the mechanics and poo poo, so here's a cool freaky experience from early game that made me realize that it actually seems to be an actual horror game for a change: (spoilered for early game gameplay spoiler type thing)
I was in a village type place and went past a couple of hanged corpses. I got a prompt to use a match to burn them, as you have a choice to do with every corpse in the game for reasons I'm yet not fully sure about, but declined since man I'm not gonna waste a match for a ragdolled, obviously nonimportant backdrop detail. Ransacked a house, came back and noticed that there was no body there anymore, and noticed a silhouette silently shambling towards me.
I don't know how scripted that was but it was a very nice, subtle and atmospheric thing that happened. Well anyways that's all I got on TEW so far I guess! :shobon:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

So, how about Driveclub PS+ edition?

Still nothing?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Evil Within is basically an updated RE4.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Asema posted:

So you're telling me I'm going to enjoy it immensely?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What are some good $20 or less games on PSN? I have some credit and looking for something interesting on there. I'm eyeing Hohokum.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Ultimate Mango posted:

So, how about Driveclub PS+ edition?

Still nothing?

The last I heard was the devs posting "we tested this and all of it should have worked I don't understand" so no there's no PS+ edition yet and the purchased full version still doesn't work correctly.

e: driveclub sold a million copies already?? :psyduck:

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 14, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Asema posted:

So was Shadows of the Damned and I didn't enjoy that...

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ularg posted:

What are some good $20 or less games on PSN? I have some credit and looking for something interesting on there. I'm eyeing Hohokum.

Hohokum is a pretty and quirky diversion if you like chilled-out non-games, but it's not something I'd recommend in general. I'd get Flower over that if you haven't already. I enjoyed Steamworld Dig recently, fun 4-5 hour diversion.

If I have spare money I just spend it on pinball tables.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Gravy Jones posted:

Hohokum is a pretty and quirky diversion if you like chilled-out non-games, but it's not something I'd recommend in general. I'd get Flower over that if you haven't already. I enjoyed Steamworld Dig recently, fun 4-5 hour diversion.

If I have spare money I just spend it on pinball tables.

Don't tempt me with the pinball tables. I finally pried myself out of the daily play and score chasing. I already have flower and never heard of Steamworld Dig. I do like chilled-out non-games.

I also like games I can sink a ton of hours into or are really immersive, if short.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Ularg posted:

Sounds Shapes, Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, First Light, Octodad just got an update today I think with new levels, and Peggle 2 comes out today.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Malt posted:

Sounds Shapes, Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, First Light, Octodad just got an update today I think with new levels, and Peggle 2 comes out today.

Peggle 2 comes out today?! Oh well gently caress me I know what I'm getting.

Finally EA, finally.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ularg posted:

Don't tempt me with the pinball tables. I finally pried myself out of the daily play and score chasing. I already have flower and never heard of Steamworld Dig. I do like chilled-out non-games.

I also like games I can sink a ton of hours into or are really immersive, if short.

you have Resogun already? if you got into Geometry Wars or whatever you might love it. that's probably tied with Road Not Taken for my favorite sub-$20 PSN purchase (I am hesitant to recommend the latter; though -- it's like THE definition of a love-it-or-absolutely-loving-hate-it game)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

goferchan posted:

you have Resogun already? if you got into Geometry Wars or whatever you might love it. that's probably tied with Road Not Taken for my favorite sub-$20 PSN purchase (I am hesitant to recommend the later; though -- it's like THE definition of a love-it-or-absolutely-loving-hate-it game)

I've had PS+ a year before PS4 launched so I have all the PS+ titles if that helps. But definitely got a lot of recommendations. My friend gave me a code for my birthday going like "Spend it on Destiny" and I look over at my Limited Edition with Season Pass and go "uhhhhh".

The only thing I wouldn't buy are the full-price/sized titles. Like I could just put it towards Shadow of Mordor but I rather have the disc version to cut down on bandwidth usage and lets me uninstall and reinstall with ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

So was Shadows of the Damned and I didn't enjoy that...

Too many dick jokes and not enough tactical uses for your weaponry in that, I would say. One of the brilliant things about RE4 was it was one of the first games to really make various enemy hit-spots have tangible differences for shooting 'em there, often setting up a devastating roundhouse kick or whatever.

• Locked thread