Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Reiley posted:

Yeah I was thinking of the right way to say that it's slow enough that it isn't a pressing matter and enemies poo poo canisters in combat, and I have an Oz tank that turns air canisters into heals too, but when you're exploring post-combat and you're using a bunch of boost jump you're like, ok hold on I need to refill my air and it feels really needless. I think the bigger qualm is how much of the game so far is in low-gravity. I hope the bulk of the game isn't low-G, it doesn't feel like a fun new thing, it's just sort of thick and sluggish, like your punishment for hitting spacebar is you get to hang out for a couple seconds unless you burn air on a butt slam. It's a little too on-the-nose with the moon gimmick.

I would say that just tapping crouch can send you to the ground without burning air for a butt slam, but I need to check to see if that in itself burns air...

EDIT: Actually, I don't see a noticeable drop in air if you butt slam or just regular drop; Only double jumping causes air to decrease faster.

EDIT2: I am enjoying the game but I sure hope that there are more colorful environments coming soon. Then again seeing as this is a moon, I am not holding my breath (Pun not intended I swear) :(

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is it just me or do the iron sights for some of the guns really, really suck in this game? All the starter guns I've had so far have been really tough to aim. Some of them don't have front sights and it's like...why would you forget those?

This is what I'm talking about :

Here's what it looked like in BL2:

fookolt fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 14, 2014

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Everyone complaining about the O2 system clearly is playing an inferior fleshbag instead of claptrap. Butt-stomps all day.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
:siren: :siren: :siren:MASHERS HAVE RETURNED:siren: :siren: :siren:

Lawbringer class validated.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Welp, cockney nonsensical-rhyme-slang has replaced BL2 Claptrap as the most aggressively un-funny thing in a Borderlands game. Awesome.

edit: I'm actually impressed by how annoying and not funny some of these characters are. This game is real hit-and-miss so far for me.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 14, 2014

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Kaethela posted:

BL2 profile editor still works for this one. Unlocked all heads/skins and gave myself free golden keys, because it's one less thing to worry about. :toot:

How did you get this to work? I just downloaded it and tried it on my save, and no dice.

Also, is anyone else crashing pretty much all the loving time? I'm playing this with 3 friends, and we're all just getting molested by crashes. I crash on launch 4/5 times as well. Validating the files does nothing.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I started a character by joining my friend's game and we started the campaign together but I had a weird glitch where when I went into FFYL I stayed in third-person and couldn't shoot or use my weapons at all, it was very bizarre but reloading the game fixed it. So I guess be on the lookout for that one

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

fookolt posted:

Is it just me or do the iron sights for some of the guns really, really suck in this game? All the starter guns I've had so far have been really tough to aim. Some of them don't have front sights and it's like...why would you forget those?

This is what I'm talking about :

Here's what it looked like in BL2:

It's always been that way. There are crappy sights in both games--the particular example you have for TPS exists in BL2 as well.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got the game for $48 after a coupon, but still kind of wish that it was a bit cheaper. Saints row 4 got away with reusing the city because it gameplay additions supported it and brought out a new side to it. Even though the environments are different, and the low grav stuff is neat, this game still feels like a DLC to BL2. I guess what we are really paying for are the new character classes, which from what I played as Nisha, seem pretty cool.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 14, 2014

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The physical appearance of your sights is determined by the random parts that make up your gun, sometimes they mix well and sometimes they don't, but basically the center of your screen is your invisible crosshairs. It's a real crapshoot.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, Nisha is pretty boring in both her special ability and her personality. I mean, auto-targeting + buffs is plenty useful but nothing like what I am used to from playing Zero or Maya in BL2. Also, what few lines Maya said sound more convincing for a sadist than everything Nisha has said so far. Where is Nisha's "I'm back bitchessssss!"

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 14, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
/\ I've tried both Athena and Nisha so far and they're both kind of dull compared to the BL1 and BL2 casts :/

CJacobs posted:

edit: I'm actually impressed by how annoying and not funny some of these characters are. This game is real hit-and-miss so far for me.

Yeah. I don't know how they managed it but I think the writing overall is worse despite the heavily toned down memes.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Bonzer.

Amirite, Aussies?

loving NO-ONE in Australia says bonzer

And I just know they're gonna somehow shoehorn some kind of "Everything in Australia wants to kill you amirite lol" joke. All the Australia jokes have been old and tired for so, so long. I wish we didn't have to do this.

Other than that, the gameplay is really great so far. Those things that spawn more things when you kill them can cause some pretty fantastic encounters that go for quite a while and I'm really loving the Lawbringer special. As long as pistols scale well and don't suck, I can't wait to be doing it all the time with pistols akimbo. Even better if we can reduce the cooldown.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr Scumbag posted:

Bonzer.

Amirite, Aussies?

loving NO-ONE in Australia says bonzer

And I just know they're gonna somehow shoehorn some kind of "Everything in Australia wants to kill you amirite lol" joke. All the Australia jokes have been old and tired for so, so long. I wish we didn't have to do this.
I thought the game was written BY Aussies.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is there a way in the options or something to make Nisha's auto-targeting NOT do the "flick with right mouse + direction to switch targets" thing? I mean it's appreciated that they let you drop the lock on if you want but jesus christ you have to be as still as a stone statue while using iron sights and it's more annoying than helpful.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It is, which is why it's so frustrating. Australians doing all they can to perpetuate stupid stereotypes and poo poo Paul Hogan did is a pet peeve of mine. I'm sure non-Australians will find some of it amusing, but I imagine a lot of Australians will be cringing pretty hard at a lot of the writing, if it continues the way it is at the start of the game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Samurai Sanders posted:

It was developed by Aussies, I think Birch still headed writting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Unlucky7 posted:

I think Birch still headed writting.

And therein lies the problem.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

And therein lies the problem.
Yeah, I get the feeling that most of what was good about BL2's writing was just luck. I feel that way about most game writing, even the stuff that I like.

edit: even some of my favorite characters like Moxxie are pretty played out by now. And the sudden dumb cameo by Roland and Lilith was sudden and dumb.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

So yeah, this is pretty much just more of BL2. Good thing I haven't completely burned myself out on it yet, otherwise I'd feel pretty ripped off.

Edit: gently caress, I forgot to reinstall BL1&2 before I started playing, so Wilhelm didn't get the loyalty bonus. Having 30 extra moonrocks to pump into inventory space would go a really long friggin' way towards helping me have more fun with the game.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 14, 2014

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

This game is Borderlands 2 but worse. That's my review.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This game owns and you are all a bunch of negative nancys. The best part of the game is that they added ways to jump higher but they didn't patch grenade jumping. There are going to be some awesome sequence breaking methods you'll be able to pull off and I'm looking forward to finding them. There are little ledges all over the place that you can tell were carefully designed to be too tall for a double jump in low gravity and I've already been taking gross shortcuts on quests.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 14, 2014

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

For a game that is built off the same core mechanics of BL2, I expected to see some quality of life improvements. There are none to be found.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

/\ I've tried both Athena and Nisha so far and they're both kind of dull compared to the BL1 and BL2 casts :/

I hope you mean the voice acting/personality and not the actual character class, because it's not physically possible to be more boring than Axton in play.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

To counter all the recent negativity, yeah, I'm having a ton of fun. Athena's shield is a cool ability, though I wish I got a taunt earlier to make it more useful when playing in a group. Can't absorb much damage to make the toss more damaging if no one shoots at you.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I hope you mean the voice acting/personality and not the actual character class, because it's not physically possible to be more boring than Axton in play.

Axton is actually very fun to play if you take his movement speed skills, though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dexters Secret posted:

For a game that is built off the same core mechanics of BL2, I expected to see some quality of life improvements. There are none to be found.
What about the rumored increased mobility? Is dodging actually a possible thing now?

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

What about the rumored increased mobility? Is dodging actually a possible thing now?

Uhhh as far as mobility is concerned, it didn't feel any different except you could go upward and do that stomp thing.

Honestly, if you were 100% happy with Borderlands 2, and you just wanted more of Borderlands 2, then you might like this game. If you wanted a better game than Borderlands 2, then you're out of luck. It's pretty much the same.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
This is pretty much a large expansion to BL2 and the devs basically were honest about that from the get go.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

This is pretty much a large expansion to BL2 and the devs basically were honest about that from the get go.

I expected improvements, like, designing the maps in a way that was less tedious than the zig-zag mazes of the BL2 maps, especially since you could jump high and stuff. Instead they just made the cliffs higher.

There's no quality of life improvements, at all. And I really don't understand why.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
RoS was just an expansion for Diablo 3 but that added a lot of nice improvements to the core formula. Just because you're not reinventing the wheel doesn't mean you can't make tweaks where they're needed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
This is a Halo 4 situation. A new dev being extremely conservative with thd formula to a fault.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Yeah gotta say, I liked BL2 and all, but I burnt out on it. And so far this one is drat sure not relighting that flame.

There's still bits and pieces that still got the magic, but so far I honestly cannot give a rat's rear end about the happenings and lore of Space Australia.

Oh and screw whoever thought making a sidequest that can only be completed by using a crappy shield you get awarded with in a prior quest was a good idea. I was in a multiplayer group of four, so naturally we just vendored the thing on sight, not hearing the dialogue explaining what they were actually for due to us talking to each other. I'm only level 11 right now but it's already looking like this game is going to foist some pretty unfun, badly designed bullshit sidequests that I'll never want to do again on a second playthrough, if I even make it to that point.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Yeah gotta say, I liked BL2 and all, but I burnt out on it. And so far this one is drat sure not relighting that flame.

There's still bits and pieces that still got the magic, but so far I honestly cannot give a rat's rear end about the happenings and lore of Space Australia.

Oh and screw whoever thought making a sidequest that can only be completed by using a crappy shield you get awarded with in a prior quest was a good idea. I was in a multiplayer group of four, so naturally we just vendored the thing on sight, not hearing the dialogue explaining what they were actually for due to us talking to each other. I'm only level 11 right now but it's already looking like this game is going to foist some pretty unfun, badly designed bullshit sidequests that I'll never want to do again on a second playthrough, if I even make it to that point.

This was precisely our experience, except our shield drops were so bad that most of us still had the shield luckily.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Also, is it just me or does the moon buggy like... not act like it's in low gravity? Within just a few hours, my party of four had already racked up a double digit death count due to the buggy simply not being able to make a loving jump. Kinda already a little tired of having to jump vehicles over instant death pits to get anywhere with them, especially when they can't even be relied upon to even make said jump successfully.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 14, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AHungryRobot posted:

Axton is actually very fun to play if you take his movement speed skills, though.

The problem with Axton is he has a non-interactive class skill (it's a pet you don't control) with a short duration and a long cooldown, so your options for most of the game are:

a) dump everything into your class skill to make it worth using. Congrats, you're poo poo when the turret isn't up and extremely boring to play whether or not it's up.
b) dump everything into your gun skills. Congrats, your class skill isn't worth using and may as well not exist.

This is less of a problem at 72 when you have enough points to be able to take both turret and gun skills, but it's a huge issue while levelling up, even at 50+.

By contrast, the two DLC classes had stuff that was interesting outside of their class skill and a decent class skill. Gaige has Anarchy stacks if you don't want to use Deathtrap, and Krieg has the self-harm stuff that's useful outside of Rampage. Both of these mechanics are interesting when your class skill isn't up, available early for a low skill point investment, and useful when the class skill is active or on cooldown, which mitigates the fact that both their skills have long cooldowns.

This wasn't as big a problem with Maya because Phaselock has such a low cooldown (so you get to reuse it often), or for Salvador because Gunzerking is a) fun and b) improved by gun skills. Axton's issues are basically due to being a pet class, and that's something they fixed with Gaige via Anarchy stacks.

Athena's Kinetic Aspis apparently has a 16s cooldown, so she's probably going to end up like Maya, which is fine, and Nisha has Order stacks and the lash; I'm more worried about Wilhelm and Claptrap ending up boring.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
For anyone trying to get it from XBox, you have to get it off the webpage, it's broke if you go via the xbox itself.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I hit F and it usually poops out a tiny, beat-boxing Claptrap. That's pretty much all I can ask for out of the game.

I might be easily amused, but I'm perfectly happy with "more Borderlands 2". Hopefully with less idiotic scaling, but I'll find out when I hit PT2. I did run into some issues with the buggy, mostly due to the wonky vehicle physics making you wait until the last second before hitting boost to get the most air off a jump.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
nvm

RonMexicosPitbull fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Athena's Kinetic Aspis apparently has a 16s cooldown, so she's probably going to end up like Maya, which is fine, and Nisha has Order stacks and the lash; I'm more worried about Wilhelm and Claptrap ending up boring.

Aside from hilarious shamfleeting with Gaige, Maya was the only way I enjoyed the game. She was the only class that had a skill that was interesting beyond being a "you always want this up" timer or a "use this rarely for tough enemies" win button. Going to give Athena a shot now, but I just didn't dig the absorbing mechanic when I saw it in videos.

• Locked thread