Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Leper Residue posted:

Maybe I'll give it a bit more, I just don't like timed anything when it comes to games, but if it doesn't really matter I guess I can live with it. Really I just want to play dress up.

I generally feel the same way, and I play games super-slow (I end up spending 70+ hours on most RPGs), and it really ended up being a non-issue. Granted, I did look at FAQs for some stuff, but I think I ended up finishing pretty much all the main, side quests, and message board postings by day 5-7 or so, then waited around a few days until monsters got their final power boost (and accompanying best drops), then made every single monster extinct. Then I got to wait around several more days until the end game arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Tae posted:

Yeah the game has a weird...relationship thing system between Lulu, Rikku, and Yuna. For some reason, they give you romance options on the other two girls even though the story is like 100% Tidus and Yuna in love. It's weird.

Basically you boost points by flirting during Seymour's banquet, and having Tidus heal/revive the girl the most. The only other time this matters is I think when they jump off a ship and his final Blitzball overdrive.

It actually keeps track of affection points for Wakka, Auron, and Kimahri too. Not as many scenes give points for the guys or use their affection points, though the snowmobile scene is one of them.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

Maybe I'll give it a bit more, I just don't like timed anything when it comes to games, but if it doesn't really matter I guess I can live with it. Really I just want to play dress up.

You're playing a timed game right now

makes u think

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

ImpAtom posted:

The stupid turtle grinding is entirely pointless.

You seem pretty fired up about this.

Maybe I just got really lucky but I had six Traps drop pretty easily, and got a decent amount of Platinum Ingots in the process. It made way more sense to me than buying Traps or wasting an upgraded weapon by dismantling it. And I know it's not the best spot for gil or CP but they give plenty if you can get into a rhythm of killing them easily. I liked farming them for a while, and when I got tired of turtles I'd do the other grind spots for a little bit, then go back. There was something oddly satisfying about ending a turtle kill with Fang's Highwind :black101:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Looper posted:

You're playing a timed game right now

makes u think

How do you get the best ending?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fister Roboto posted:

How do you get the best ending?

You have to beat the RNG god.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The drat turtles never ever dropped platinum ingots for me. I ended up swimming in trapezohedrons but still never got an ultimate weapon because I didn't have enough money to fully upgrade anything.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

The drat turtles never ever dropped platinum ingots for me. I ended up swimming in trapezohedrons but still never got an ultimate weapon because I didn't have enough money to fully upgrade anything.

IIRC they never drop both, so if you have the Connoisseur Catalog or both Catalogs equipped it will increase the likelihood of Traps. If you only have the Collector's Catalog equipped then you'll probably get Platinum Ingots more often. Then again it's been over a year since I played it last so maybe I'm misremembering how drops work.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Leper Residue posted:

If it is a thing I think I may just return the game for some version of Ateleir.

The time limits in Atelier games are much more strict than 13-3's. You'll be fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

So I started playing Lightning Returns. How much of an issue is this time limit thing? Cause games with time limits? They can eat a dick. I just wanted to run around Final Fantasy world with different outfits killing crazy dudes, not worry about how many souls I can save in a set amount of time (reminds of me of valkyrie profile which also bugged me).

If it is a thing I think I may just return the game for some version of Ateleir.

Why would you return the game for another game which features a time limit? I mean the Atelier games have a way way harsher time limit than LR ever would.

Bregor posted:

You seem pretty fired up about this.

Nah, it's just more that it is one of those things which keeps getting repeated but isn't true. There was a whole lot of talk about turtle-grinding in the original FFXIII thread but that was because of achievement-hunting and it somehow devolved into 'it is literally required.' Like people seem to honestly think it's unavoidable and necessary when it isn't even the best way to do grinding in the game, and the game itself doesn't require grinding. (People have finished most of the content without Crystarium or without using upgraded equipment and have finished all of it without the Crystarium.)

FFXIII has plenty of flaws already, it really doesn't need exaggeration of them or new ones added.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 14, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Anyone who did the turtle-grinding in FFXIII had a Brain Problem and the wave of turtle murder that followed the game's release was akin to a mass psychotic episode.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The time limits in Atelier games are much more strict than 13-3's. You'll be fine.
And the time limits in Atelier games are still nothing to worry about. You have multiple free weeks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

And the time limits in Atelier games are still nothing to worry about. You have multiple free weeks.

They're trivial if you want to just finish the game with a good ending but they can be pretty harsh if you want to get the Best Ending without a NG+

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

They're trivial if you want to just finish the game with a good ending but they can be pretty harsh if you want to get the Best Ending without a NG+
Eh, depends on the game. Totori had a bunch of fairly time sensitive events but I got the best ending in Escha and Logy on a standard start without too much trouble. Then again I had played a lot of Atelier by that point.

Either way, even at their worst they aren't strictly penalizing you for missing this one NPC at this one time or something. A lot of people seem to have some sort of phobia towards time limits as a game mechanic - multiple reviews critcized LR for it even though it was so easy to circumvent that it might as well have not even been a mechanic.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, it's just more that it is one of those things which keeps getting repeated but isn't true. There was a whole lot of talk about turtle-grinding in the original FFXIII thread but that was because of achievement-hunting and it somehow devolved into 'it is literally required.' Like people seem to honestly think it's unavoidable and necessary when it isn't even the best way to do grinding in the game, and the game itself doesn't require grinding. (People have finished most of the content without Crystarium or without using upgraded equipment and have finished all of it without the Crystarium.)

FFXIII has plenty of flaws already, it really doesn't need exaggeration of them or new ones added.

Fair enough. I do think it's important to stress that you can beat the game and 5-star almost every mission without touching a single turtle (other than the mission ones obviously) or grinding for CP/gil. But I also feel like the difficulty and terrible drop rates of turtles are overstated, it's really not that bad or different from grinding in other FF games.

Man, all this XIII talk makes me want to replay the game from scra-hahahahaha nope!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

T.G. Xarbala posted:

As a kid I never quite understood why generics in FFT left when their faith got too high (leaving to seek God??), but then it hit me.

You're a heretic.

Don't they still leave in the early chapters when they wouldn't have that as an excuse? I always saw it as the character becoming a conscientious objector due to their faith.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I already had to start over in Lightning returns because I used up all my EP in Lux before I moved on to other areas. I fell short on the first day with the guide I was using mostly because I couldn't find a treasure or the directions were slightly confusing on which way to go.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Then don't use a guide? Seriously, you have so much loving time in that game, just wing it.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I am into Chapter 6 now (not much time to play) in FFXIII and have some comments here:

- English subtitles are unfortunately only for English speech and they do not contain any battle quotes, which kind of sucks, but not a huge deal. Subtitles as mentioned before are not very good either. They are not badly translated, ala SAO, but just flat and don't quite have the impact. Whoever was in charge of translation script goofed, but then again, there were so many revisions constantly done, it's not surprising.
- I remember seeing before how the plot is hard to understand and kind of thought that the first time I played on PS3 (up to Ch 3, give or take), but playing again on PC and actually paying tiny bit of attention to what everyone is saying, it's very straightforward even without perusing the datalog. Yeah, the names are a bit weird (seriously, l'cie, fal'cie, blah), but there is really not much mystery there. You have the good mecha gods and bad mecha gods and then their l'cie paladins/wizards. Pretty much done (throw in c'eth for failed paladins). I think FFX plot was stranger at the same point in game (10ish hours in).

- Corridors are really getting to be annoying, but at least that Ch 5 forest was pretty darn cool looking. Square art direction was excellent in that section. The road was still annoying but at least it was pretty.
- Sazh is still best character, Vanilla is solid 2nd (simply by the fact that I don't want to shoot her on site), Snow is 3rd since he is supposed to be a dumb bastard. Lightning is at least a bit less bitchy but still is doing her tsundere and dumb act, and Hope is hopeless. Fang is anime as hell.

Edit: Combat is actually fun and I messed around a bit with upgrading Lightning's weapons (probably just wasting components, but whatever), so that was kind of cool. Unlocking 2nd accessory slot was very helpful. Speaking of accessories, that Doctor one is pretty nice and helps a lot in tough battles since Potions seem to do at least 300 (or maybe 400) healing with it. I think I have two, so each team gets one.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 14, 2014

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I played LR on hard the first time around and I definitely had to watch the clock and not screw around too much. Some boss fights are pretty rough as well drat YOU SNOW

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Fang and Sazh are the best characters in XIII, any others are superfluous.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

Eh, depends on the game. Totori had a bunch of fairly time sensitive events but I got the best ending in Escha and Logy on a standard start without too much trouble. Then again I had played a lot of Atelier by that point.

Either way, even at their worst they aren't strictly penalizing you for missing this one NPC at this one time or something. A lot of people seem to have some sort of phobia towards time limits as a game mechanic - multiple reviews critcized LR for it even though it was so easy to circumvent that it might as well have not even been a mechanic.

Yeah. By the time I finished Ayesha I still had like, a year and a half of ingame time left. Rorona had ridiculously strict time limits but I hear the remake lessened those restrictions considerably?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah. By the time I finished Ayesha I still had like, a year and a half of ingame time left. Rorona had ridiculously strict time limits but I hear the remake lessened those restrictions considerably?

Well, finishing Ayesha within the time limit is easy. Getting the Sage ending is a lot harder.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Yea if you hate time limits, avoid any Atelier game. I don't MIND them myself but I have to have some kind of guide otherwise I will have the sinking feeling that I just hosed myself.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I'm getting wiped constantly in Gran Pulse (chapter 10 or so). I don't mean King Behemoths because that felt like endgame poo poo, but the robot groups you have to fight in the caves. Like, I literally can't win unless I summon a Eidolin and I'm just out of supplies for that as well. What am I doing wrong, I'm using Sentinels but even they get destroyed pretty fast.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Tae posted:

So I'm getting wiped constantly in Gran Pulse (chapter 10 or so). I don't mean King Behemoths because that felt like endgame poo poo, but the robot groups you have to fight in the caves. Like, I literally can't win unless I summon a Eidolin and I'm just out of supplies for that as well. What am I doing wrong, I'm using Sentinels but even they get destroyed pretty fast.

Is this your first time playing the game? As soon as I touched down on Pulse poo poo wrecked me nonstop until I grinded for a few hours. So my poor recommendation is to grind more.

And then once I did the hours of grinding at the start of Pulse I grinded for some more hours against those drat robots you're having trouble with.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The game expects you to run around and do a couple hunts, at least. So yeah, try that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tae posted:

If your talking about the phalanxes aka the robots who summon other robots then buff them they are absolute fucksticks and a road block from hell on both of my playthroughs of that game. My advice is to do the first 14 missions on pulse as it will both level you and net you a chocobo mount.

Otherwise use the item that gives you advantage when you start the fight and just instantly nuke them the second the battle starts. There are only I think two or three unavoidable fights in the cave and nothing will ever be that difficult again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The game expects you to run around and do a couple hunts, at least. So yeah, try that.

Well gently caress me. I'm already deep into the cave (my current mission is to ride on top of the rolling Fal'cie) and I burned my resources just making it that far.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
When I was playing XIII I don't even think I did a single hunt because the map confused me and I couldn't distinguish the red star for hunts and the red dots for enemies etc. so I just continued the story immediately.

The phalanx was a massive bitch to beat but I won in the end with a smart use of eidolons and the ever broken party of Fang/Lightning/Hope. Spent a lot of time in Delta Attack and Combat Clinic, though :downs:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tae posted:

Well gently caress me. I'm already deep into the cave (my current mission is to ride on top of the rolling Fal'cie) and I burned my resources just making it that far.

Then you need more -sol items but you should really only have one or at most two phalanxes to go. Oddly doing worse on fights boosts the chance of getting sol items so if truly desperate grind poorly on the other much easier encounters in the cave to level and get what you need.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Tae posted:

Here's how you win everything in XIII:

- Start off with Com/Rav/Rav, make sure the Commando hits your target at least 2-3 times.
- Switch to Rav/Rav/Rav to stagger.
- Switch back to Com/Rav/Rav, kill the staggered enemy.
- Occasionally switch to Med/Sen/Med to heal.

There, that's it. You've just won Final Fantasy XIII.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

ImpAtom posted:

Why would you return the game for another game which features a time limit? I mean the Atelier games have a way way harsher time limit than LR ever would.

I had no idea the Atelier games had time limits either. Why are these a thing?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Krad posted:

- Start off with Com/Rav/Rav, make sure the Commando hits your target at least 2-3 times.

Damage isn't the problem, it's surviving the first wave of attacks. I have Fang with both health boost and Auto-Protect with Steelguard and she still ain't surviving that rear end in a top hat mob of self-destructing cubes.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

I had no idea the Atelier games had time limits either. Why are these a thing?

Because the plots usually revolve around them. They aren't too bad though, time only passes when gathering materials, creating items using alchemy and traveling on the world map, it's static in towns and dungeons otherwise.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Krad posted:

Sab/Rav/Rav is better than Com. Gets the chain boost benefits of 3 ravagers, but also the slowdown benefit of a commando and makes the rest of the fight go faster too.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tae posted:

What resources? You can straight up pause the game and quit out of fights if you run into enemies you want to run past.

Annoying to have to wait on loading but like even if you get into a fight and die it lets you start exactly as you were before running into the enemy.

Alternatively if you don't want to go back and grind, skip the enemies you're fighting now until you find something easy enough to beat.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

mateo360 posted:

I already had to start over in Lightning returns because I used up all my EP in Lux before I moved on to other areas. I fell short on the first day with the guide I was using mostly because I couldn't find a treasure or the directions were slightly confusing on which way to go.

Ugh, seriously, do not do this. Any guide saying you HAVE to do all this stuff on X day is lying. If you follow a guide, it'll probably have you finish everything in a few days with a ton of time left over.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Krad posted:

1. com/rav/rav
2. rav/rav/rav
3. get a high counter and com/com/com for extreme dmg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Tae posted:

Damage isn't the problem, it's surviving the first wave of attacks. I have Fang with both health boost and Auto-Protect with Steelguard and she still ain't surviving that rear end in a top hat mob of self-destructing cubes.

Hitting the cubes with their weakness will delay their self-destruct and force them back a stage. If you drop some Firas, Sen/Rav/Rav should hold them off for a little bit.