Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

Wow is online play busted. The netcode is pretty lovely, and the 3pt shooting is just stupid. Went something like 11/14 from 3 with Aaron Brooks, and I had to keep bombing since my opponent was doing the same thing.

Yeah, I really want to like myTeam but I don't make enough points to replace the guys I'm losing. I'm not spending money so I guess its just lovely.

Timing. Though they need to adjust it since its far too easy to shoot right now.

If your trying to farm points in MyTeam, your best bet is definitely Domination, or maybe some of the easier challenges. Road to the Playoffs is not the way to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Is there a list of how to earn badges in Myplayer? Also, when will I be able to call pick and rolls as a shooting guard? Getting assists without them is brutal.

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

The Glumslinger posted:

If your trying to farm points in MyTeam, your best bet is definitely Domination, or maybe some of the easier challenges. Road to the Playoffs is not the way to do it

I really really wish we could use custom sliders in MyCareer. The amount of no-calls when driving is pretty crazy.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Inside Outside posted:

Is there a list of how to earn badges in Myplayer? Also, when will I be able to call pick and rolls as a shooting guard? Getting assists without them is brutal.

This! I'll probably never see a triple double as a student in mycareer

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

This! I'll probably never see a triple double as a student in mycareer

You can call for a pick and roll as soon as you touch the ball? Hold the charge button for a roll, hold it longer for them to fade? Circle on the ps4.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Im starting to get this game a bit more. You'll get absolutely punished on rebounds if you have a bad matchup out there. Also the matchup doesn't matter if your center or PF has to come out to cover a guy who got past your perimeter defense.

Almost everyone in the game can nail a wide open shot, including wide open 3's. It's also a bit easier to land shots now that there's a shot bar below the players. They really punish bad defense or if you reach/gamble for steals too much. Overall I think it's a big improvement over last year's system, I just wish that my computer could run it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Getimmaaw posted:

You can call for a pick and roll as soon as you touch the ball? Hold the charge button for a roll, hold it longer for them to fade? Circle on the ps4.

I knowe how to do it but when I do it for a fade the idiot doesn't run to the basket after he sets the fake pick.

Do the shoes on the 2k app with descriptions actually do anything? Like the 10k vc Jordan shoes?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Holyshoot posted:

I knowe how to do it but when I do it for a fade the idiot doesn't run to the basket after he sets the fake pick.

"Fade" is another word for pick-and-pop, ie, the screensetter tries to get open for a jump shot. He's not supposed to roll to the basket in this case.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, you want slip I think.

The Glumslinger posted:

OK, I'll give that a shot. I was underwhelmed when I did a challenge but I only tried one. Doesn't help that the one bronze pack I bought gave me only 1 player and a heap of other crap. At this rate my team will be bankrupt.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
You get packs for winning domination and getting a certain amount of points, and the amount you need for 3 stars is pretty harmless up until the lakers at least.

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

Lockback posted:

Looks like the PnR control is a bit different this year:

Hold Circle (B for Xbox) for a bit, the icon for Roll should pop up over the guys head. Hold it a little longer and it changes to Fade (for pick and pop).

For the Slip (my personal favorite) it's not a specific option that pops up anymore- instead when you call for the pick, as the guy is coming up to set the screen just press Circle/B again to have him cancel the screen and crash to the basket.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

OK, I'll give that a shot. I was underwhelmed when I did a challenge but I only tried one. Doesn't help that the one bronze pack I bought gave me only 1 player and a heap of other crap. At this rate my team will be bankrupt.

I don't think you ever get more than one player in a pack. I bought the most expensive pack and all I got was Mike Dunleavy Jr.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

KDdidit posted:

I don't think you ever get more than one player in a pack. I bought the most expensive pack and all I got was Mike Dunleavy Jr.

Yeah, all of the packs specifically say they only give you one player. The more expensive packs increase your chance at getting a silver or gold player

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Getimmaaw posted:

The problem I have is that I can't actually call pick and rolls with My Player. It makes the offense really stagnant, especially since the coach only seems to call plays half the time. When that happens Jimmer holds the ball for eighteen seconds and then misses a highly contested shot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Inside Outside posted:

The problem I have is that I can't actually call pick and rolls with My Player. It makes the offense really stagnant, especially since the coach only seems to call plays half the time. When that happens Jimmer holds the ball for eighteen seconds and then misses a highly contested shot.

Really? I was able to call PnRs right away with my player as long as I had the ball. I also found that if I set a pick and fade away, I'll get passed the ball like 80% of the time. I'm playing as a SF....

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah you can call picks from the first time you touch the ball, no matter what position you play.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bought a 2nd VIP pack and got Noah. Nope, not that Noah, Noah Vonteh. I've never even heard of Noah Vonteh. Think I'll just buy the cheap packs from now on.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KDdidit posted:

Bought a 2nd VIP pack and got Noah. Nope, not that Noah, Noah Vonteh. I've never even heard of Noah Vonteh. Think I'll just buy the cheap packs from now on.

Vonleh, 9th pick in the draft this year.

I finally got used to the pick and roll last night (including a couple times where I noticed my guy cheating and beating him by going away from the screen). Next goal is passing with R1 instead of just hitting X and a direction. Too many times I had someone crash in on me leaving his man wide open in the corner only for me to pass it to the Center/PF in traffic under the basket.

I'm also still terrible with the right stick and have no idea what I'm doing.

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

Vonleh is really good down low. He was way more consistent than the rest of the Hornets front court in mycareer

Faxanadu fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 14, 2014

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Next goal is passing with R1 instead of just hitting X and a direction. Too many times I had someone crash in on me leaving his man wide open in the corner only for me to pass it to the Center/PF in traffic under the basket.

I've had better luck passing with the left trigger + right stick than button passing. It's way faster, and I've only had it not go to the guy I intended once or twice.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

IcePhoenix posted:

Vonleh, 9th pick in the draft this year.

I finally got used to the pick and roll last night (including a couple times where I noticed my guy cheating and beating him by going away from the screen). Next goal is passing with R1 instead of just hitting X and a direction. Too many times I had someone crash in on me leaving his man wide open in the corner only for me to pass it to the Center/PF in traffic under the basket.

I'm also still terrible with the right stick and have no idea what I'm doing.

Only problem with the R1 passing is that the game seems to almost deliberately make you do huge floating passes that get picked off easily in situations where bounce passes are needed.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I started a new Mycareer because my old one is now stuck in magical server limbo or something, and I have to say Demarcus Cousins' voicework is making me appreciate Bradley Beal and Terrance Ross's virtuoso performances a lot more. Cousins basically just mumbles his way through in a monotone without paying attention to punctuation or anything, just saying words one right after the other. Truly incredible work.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stevie Lee posted:

I've had better luck passing with the left trigger + right stick than button passing. It's way faster, and I've only had it not go to the guy I intended once or twice.

That sounds way easier than remembering who's playing what position, I'll give that a shot.

Side note: is there any way for me to get my players to actually dunk the ball? Or is the fact that I suck with the stick the reason why they keep doing stupid layups?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

That sounds way easier than remembering who's playing what position, I'll give that a shot.

Side note: is there any way for me to get my players to actually dunk the ball? Or is the fact that I suck with the stick the reason why they keep doing stupid layups?

I have no issues dunking with traffic. 6 foot 5 sg with 10 in athleticism

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

It's hilarious to me that a seven-footer with no points in athleticism basically can't dunk in-game ever

My biggest issue with the controls is that, since box out/intense D and pass are bound to the same button, I keep having rebounds turn into JaVale McGee-esque turnovers

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
How are they bound to the same button? Box out is the left trigger, icon passing is the left bumper, regular passing is A. So that's L2, L1, and X in sony speak i think.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Whenever I'm playing MyGM games in the playoffs and the announcers start talking about season stats, they mention a list on the left side of the screen that never shows up. Does this happen to anyone else?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Spacebump posted:

Whenever I'm playing MyGM games in the playoffs and the announcers start talking about season stats, they mention a list on the left side of the screen that never shows up. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yup.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spacebump posted:

happens during the regular season too. Super annoying because you're locked into it and you just have to watch players stand around for a minute or two while they go through their spiel.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

hopterque posted:

How are they bound to the same button? Box out is the left trigger, icon passing is the left bumper, regular passing is A. So that's L2, L1, and X in sony speak i think.
Fancy passing is LT

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
LT+A, right? It's not something I've had happen even once, why would you be hitting A at all?

e: Actually you shouldn't even be mashing buttons to rebound so I'm really completely not getting what's going on. Hold LT, hit Y when the ball bounces, be a big angry man.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 14, 2014

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

hopterque posted:

LT+A, right? It's not something I've had happen even once, why would you be hitting A at all?
It's LT plus pro stick direction IIRC? I've inadverently triggered it a bunch of times when driving to the basket too I think

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

hopterque posted:

e: Actually you shouldn't even be mashing buttons to rebound so I'm really completely not getting what's going on. Hold LT, hit Y when the ball bounces, be a big angry man.

I mash Y all the time to rebound because half the time it feels like my guy isn't even reacting. Then of course he jumps, then jumps again when he lands, I wish I could break the habit.

Also my least favourite thing that happens every year is still there, the second you make a pass to a wide open player they make a run towards the basket and the pass gets intercepted.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Anyone have advice on how to play defense? I stick to playing on ball since the cpu typically lets every player glide right past them. I mess around with the defensive settings a little bit but I'm not sure what a prime strategy would be.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Is there any way to disable commentary? I can't find any audio options. I've stopped the (mostly) lovely music from playing by de-selecting every track on 2k Beats.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
It's under gameplay settings. Just set the slider to zero.

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?
Also I believe the option for the commentary volume is only available while in a game...

But wait there's more! It also controls the volume of cutscenes for MyPlayer so if you want to hear those you are also forced to listen to the dumb/constantly repeating commentary poo poo. Awesome.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

Anyone have advice on how to play defense? I stick to playing on ball since the cpu typically lets every player glide right past them. I mess around with the defensive settings a little bit but I'm not sure what a prime strategy would be.

I find it a lot easier to play as the center and not play on-ball constantly. But if you are a wing in myPlayer then you really gotta pay attention. Don't body up all the time, give a gap unless it looks like they are in shooting position. Block the lanes when playing offball and don't let them make free cuts. Use the "intense D" when needed, but don't just hold it down. Generally it's better to not bite on any moves and be a little behind than reacting to one move and getting blown by.

Superstar players are really hard to guard, just like in real life.

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

Lockback posted:

I find it a lot easier to play as the center and not play on-ball constantly. But if you are a wing in myPlayer then you really gotta pay attention. Don't body up all the time, give a gap unless it looks like they are in shooting position. Block the lanes when playing offball and don't let them make free cuts. Use the "intense D" when needed, but don't just hold it down. Generally it's better to not bite on any moves and be a little behind than reacting to one move and getting blown by.

Superstar players are really hard to guard, just like in real life.

Also shade them into the help defender. Which is to say you will have a team mate (normally the PF or C) guarding his man on either side of you. Position yourself so that if he were to drive to either side, the easier lane around you would put him in the path of the help defender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Lockback posted:

Don't body up all the time, give a gap unless it looks like they are in shooting position. Block the lanes when playing offball and don't let them make free cuts.

Realizing that I should do this was what helped me play D the most (at least against the computer). A properly executed cut to the basket is god drat unstoppable unless you're already defending against it because the computer player will go into the "I'm making a cut to the basket and am about to catch a pass" animation which is super quick and leads to the player immediately shooting, giving you almost no chance to block or contest the shot if you got caught even slightly out of position or were holding down LT and were in intense D. It's ok to sit in the passing lane between the guy with the ball and the guy you're guarding, but you need to make sure that you at least have a teammate between you and the basket so that the guy you're guarding can't just take off and leave you looking like an idiot.

And yeah, sometimes a superstar is just gonna drop 30 right in your dumb face and there's nothing you can do about it. Just try to keep them from scoring literally every time and follow through with box outs and rebounds so that on the rare occasions when they do miss their team doesn't score off of a second chance anyway.

• Locked thread