Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

Well, I guess I did pretty much threw out the idea of kind of staying within the bounds of the original family recipe. But I have to disagree about using pre-spiced tomato sauce. My sauce tastes much different if I only have a can of tomato sauce on hand and use that instead of crushed tomatoes -- but maybe that's because mine is very basic and not heavily spiced anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

thebigpicture posted:

Well, I guess I did pretty much threw out the idea of kind of staying within the bounds of the original family recipe. But I have to disagree about using pre-spiced tomato sauce. My sauce tastes much different if I only have a can of tomato sauce on hand and use that instead of crushed tomatoes -- but maybe that's because mine is very basic and not heavily spiced anyway.

I'm not sure where this idea that tomato sauce is necessarily spiced comes from. I just pulled four different cans from different companies out of my pantry, two have "tomato purée, tomato paste, sea salt" listed as ingredients, one is "tomato purée, salt, sugar" and the fourth is "tomato paste, water, red pepper, sea salt"

Edit: I found a fifth that includes citric acid as well

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

thebigpicture posted:

Fair enough. Tomato sauce vs. crushed tomatoes is definitely super different; puree vs. sauce is not, but that's just to my taste buds. I add a fuckload of other stuff to my sauce anyway so the difference is definitely not apparent on the sauce vs. puree front.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Question: Did I do OK with this pot/pan set ?

http://m.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/lagostina-3-ply-13-piece-clad-cookware-set-1422407p.html

I had a royal Dalton : Gordon Ramsey edition set that I gave away in a breakup.

The skeptic in me feels that these huge discount sets are a good deal at the discount price but never actually aren't on sale. So, is $250 for this set worth it ? I can take it back and spend more.

Secondly: what is a good Canadian website to buy knives from ? Ex took those too. I won't mention a budget cause I'd rather prioritize bang for the buck over price. But I'm not a cook, just a guy that likes to carve up a roast and trim a brisket. I'd like something that will last and can take some abuse. I will put these in the dish washer.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Hauki posted:

I'm not sure where this idea that tomato sauce is necessarily spiced comes from. I just pulled four different cans from different companies out of my pantry, two have "tomato purée, tomato paste, sea salt" listed as ingredients, one is "tomato purée, salt, sugar" and the fourth is "tomato paste, water, red pepper, sea salt"

Edit: I found a fifth that includes citric acid as well

That's actually a very interesting question. When I was a kid, I always considered spaghetti sauce/red sauce/whatever to be a fairly spicy dish, and nobody really made it in my family until I started making my own version of it at 12-13. Maybe it's that "thats-a spicy meat-balll" thing?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got a pretty fatty shoulder of lamb I'm going to cook tomorrow. I've found a heston blumenthal recipe that involves browning it in a tray before braising it for 6 hours at 65C in wine covered in foil and adding water as needed. Does anyone have anything they'd recommend instead? It definitely needs a long, slow cook

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
I have some heavy cream mixed with pumpkin puree. Should I treat its expiration the same, or does the addition of the puree mean I shouldn't keep it as long?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
My mom has one of these http://m.macys.com/shop/product/cui...ookieCheck=true and I'd like to clean the crusty old melted American cheese off of it but short of scraping it off with my fingernail I'm not really sure how. Says specifically not to immerse it in water and just getting it warm and wiping down with a wet cloth isn't cutting it.

Any tips?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

My mom has one of these http://m.macys.com/shop/product/cui...ookieCheck=true and I'd like to clean the crusty old melted American cheese off of it but short of scraping it off with my fingernail I'm not really sure how. Says specifically not to immerse it in water and just getting it warm and wiping down with a wet cloth isn't cutting it.

It's $20, and if cheese is sticking to the non-stick surface to that degree, it's probably time for a replacement if you use it that much.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Sorry, should have been more clear. It's not stuck to the no-stick, it's more on the outer edge/hinges. The exterior seam where the plates touch when it's closed.

Don't use it too often, but sometimes you gotta pretend you're five and eat a Kraft singles on Texas toast grilled sammie.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Mr clean eraser

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Mr. Clean will probably scrub off the nonstick.

Get good paper towels, soak them thoroughly, drape them over the cruddy area. Turn it on for just a couple of minutes. Get some gloves on, turn it back off, and while it's still hot, use the paper towels to wipe off the softened and loosened crud. This is magic for George Foreman grills, so it should work on yours too.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uG posted:

I have some heavy cream mixed with pumpkin puree. Should I treat its expiration the same, or does the addition of the puree mean I shouldn't keep it as long?

Stick with the original expiry. Dairy is one of those things you follow it pretty closely.

Unicorncupcake
Sep 13, 2011

I have a whole chicken carcass in my freezer and would like to use it to make stock. Should I defrost it first or can I use it straight from the freezer? I feel vaguely like this might be a food safety issue...?

Also, does anyone have good stock tips? I've made stock before but only once and it was so-so. I have the carcass and some skin and leftover wibbly bits from a roast chicken and a giant bag of vegetable trimmings-mostly onions, peppers, and carrots, and I would like to make something delicious and multipurpose.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Unicorncupcake posted:

I have a whole chicken carcass in my freezer and would like to use it to make stock. Should I defrost it first or can I use it straight from the freezer? I feel vaguely like this might be a food safety issue...?

Also, does anyone have good stock tips? I've made stock before but only once and it was so-so. I have the carcass and some skin and leftover wibbly bits from a roast chicken and a giant bag of vegetable trimmings-mostly onions, peppers, and carrots, and I would like to make something delicious and multipurpose.

Keep the heat low, let some liquid steam off, too. And let it cook in there for practically an entire day - you really want all the gelatin you can. The best stocks are the ones that end up solid when you refrigerate them.

You could brown your veggies first, roast 'em, thaw your chicken bones and roast it too, if you'd like.

I normally am left with borken down carcasses that have been frozen, and I'll just put them in the giant pot with everything else without worrying about thawing.

If you're really worried about food safety, for whatever reason, I guess you could get the water up to a boil before you dump in the chicken, and let it get back up to a slow simmer before you put in the other vegetables.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 12, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

jonathan posted:

Question: Did I do OK with this pot/pan set ?

http://m.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/lagostina-3-ply-13-piece-clad-cookware-set-1422407p.html

I had a royal Dalton : Gordon Ramsey edition set that I gave away in a breakup.

The skeptic in me feels that these huge discount sets are a good deal at the discount price but never actually aren't on sale. So, is $250 for this set worth it ? I can take it back and spend more.

Secondly: what is a good Canadian website to buy knives from ? Ex took those too. I won't mention a budget cause I'd rather prioritize bang for the buck over price. But I'm not a cook, just a guy that likes to carve up a roast and trim a brisket. I'd like something that will last and can take some abuse. I will put these in the dish washer.

Canadian Tire often seems to run ridiculous, 75%-or-more off sales on their cookware. My GF's set, which I'm using in kind of the opposite situation to you (gained in a recent case of moving in together) is a Lagostina with a really nice non-stick surface on them. They were a gift to her from her ex, and we saw them in CT about a year ago in one of those massive discount sales. Apparently they were $600 new, which was mildly mind-blowing. Anyway, you will almost certainly be quite happy with that set, and $250 is a decent price for a full set like that. They don't appear to be Teflon-coated, so get a couple of good metal tools - spatula, big-rear end spoon, maybe something else - to go with them.

As for knives, I dunno much but avoid those mall-based stores (and their websites) because they're guaranteed to overcharge. Maybe Sears? Their stuff is generally pretty good, in my experience.

I don't see a Thanksgiving / Canadian Oddball Holiday Spectacular thread, so I'll just say here that today's Feast is coming along splendidly, breadsticks are done, we made goddam MAYONAISE from scratch today (holy grap!), the weirdo "salad" of rice-and-beets is chillin', and our little turkey is just about to get itself filled with stuffing. All is well in the world today.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Would chevre work well with shiitake and crimini mushrooms?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

Would chevre work well with shiitake and crimini mushrooms?

Depends on the application I would think, but it goes super well on top of a mushroom risotto.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Seeking advice on making injera. I have teff flour, but every website I've seen disagrees about how the correct ratio of flour to water. I tried it once after I got over my food safety concerns about leaving it sitting out under a towel for a couple days, and after a couple days sitting in the bowl it was still watery. Anyone have a recipe they've used successfully?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Use less water. Should be somewhere between pancake and crepe batter in consistency.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

guppy posted:

Seeking advice on making injera. I have teff flour, but every website I've seen disagrees about how the correct ratio of flour to water. I tried it once after I got over my food safety concerns about leaving it sitting out under a towel for a couple days, and after a couple days sitting in the bowl it was still watery. Anyone have a recipe they've used successfully?

Letting it sit won't thicken it, it gives you that fermented, sour-dough flavor. It the hot African sun, it only takes a day, but I usually let it go three days.

Also, most restaurant injera is cut with white flour, and they usually use a mix of both light and dark teff. The light (blond) teff can be hard to find.

Simple 100% Teff Injera with video

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks. Yeah, I know I needed less water and that sitting wouldn't do it. I looked over that recipe, but I think the 1:1 ratio was what gave me the overly watery results the first time, and their final picture doesn't seem thick enough or spongy enough. Maybe I do just need to add some all-purpose flour and yeast. I was hoping someone had done it enough themselves to know the approximate proportions though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ExecuDork posted:

Canadian Tire Sale stuff

Thanks buddy! Yeah I avoid buying full sets of nonstick stuff because I tend to treat cookware like shop tools. I do keep a large cast iron skillet/pan on hand, and will likely buy a matching lagostina non stick skillet also for perogies and things.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Also, most restaurant injera is cut with white flour, and they usually use a mix of both light and dark teff. The light (blond) teff can be hard to find.

Simple 100% Teff Injera with video

I've never heard of this stuff before but now I want to try it. Adding teff to my grocery list. :toot:

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I just heard of grains of paradise moments ago and I want to try it already. Anyone ever cooked with it?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Any recommendations on what sauce would go best with some bowtie pasta that my wife brought back from Italy? From the GWS wiki, the bolognese seems like a good option but I want to do the best I can.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Anybody have a good Indian chicken curry recipe? I have access to every spice you could ask for so I don't need a recipe with just "curry powder" as an ingredient. I know "Indian Chicken Curry" is such a broad stupid term but I'd love a few tested favorites hell to doesn't even have to be chicken either, just something good saucy and flavorful good over rice. I'm just now getting into cooking Indian food(hence the spice stockpile) and eager to try recipes out.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bum the Sad posted:

Anybody have a good Indian chicken curry recipe? I have access to every spice you could ask for so I don't need a recipe with just "curry powder" as an ingredient. I know "Indian Chicken Curry" is such a broad stupid term but I'd love a few tested favorites hell to doesn't even have to be chicken either, just something good saucy and flavorful good over rice. I'm just now getting into cooking Indian food(hence the spice stockpile) and eager to try recipes out.

Fish out my post history in this thread for a butter chicken recipe:

Jan posted:

It's just a recipe that's been bounced around my family, starting from my India loving grandmother.

Meat:
1 lb chicken breast (boneless)

Marinade:
2 tbsp yogurt
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp salt

Sauce:
1 tbsp oil
1 medium onion
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp coriander (fresh, thinly chopped)
1 tsp ginger (grated)
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp roasted cumin powder
1/2 tsp hot green pepper (i.e.: jalapeno, thinly diced)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup 35% cream
1/4 cup cream cheese

1. Chop chicken breast into 1" pieces.
2. Mix marinade ingredients together.
3. Marinate chicken for at least 6 hours.

4. Set oven on broil.
5. Lay down chicken pieces in a sheet pan.
6. Cook chicken in oven for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

(while chicken is cooking...)

7. Pour a bit of oil in a saucepan on medium heat.
8. Cook onions in oil until brown.
9. Add butter.
10. Add all the following, incorporating water as needed to make sure the ingredients don't dry out and stick to the pan: tomato paste, coriander, ginger, garam masala, cumin powder, green pepper, red pepper flakes, black pepper, salt, sugar.
11. Add the rest of the water.
12. Heat to a mild simmer for 5 minutes.
13. Add chicken, simmer for another 5 minutes while stirring.
14. Add cream and cream cheese, keep stirring until cream cheese is melted.

As the recipe changed hands, the onions were added because onions are good in everything. Cumin was roasted to make it stand out a bit more from the garam masala. Cream cheese was added to soften the sauce a bit and help as a binding agent. I added sugar because it tends to soften the bitterness inherent to tomato pate. Family collaboration! :v:

I pretty much always eyeball the ingredients, especially butter, cream and cream cheese, and end up correcting those at the end. Since the original proportions are a bit low on sauce for freezing + thawing, my batches usually consist of 3x meat, 4x sauce proportions.

If you like the recipe and find any other new variations to improve on it, do share!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jan posted:

Fish out my post history in this thread for a butter chicken recipe:

Hahaha thanks! But I actually have butter chicken marinating in the fridge right now. From his Great Escape cookbook my wife bought me.
http://www.food.com/recipe/murgh-makhani-moghul-butter-chicken-422848
Here's a transcript of the recipe. It's gonna be my first real attempt at Indian cooking other than the pilau rice I made today.

Don't have any Indian Chili Powder though so I used a little paprika cayenne combo for the small amount needed for the marinade. Gonna go track some down tomorrow though for the sauce.

If you have a more traditional curry I'd appreciate it

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 14, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jan posted:

I've never heard of this stuff before but now I want to try it. Adding teff to my grocery list. :toot:

I loving love it. If it weren't such a pain in the rear end (and expensive), I'd eat injera all the time. Teff has an absurd amount of protein, so you can use it for sandwich wraps and such. Leftover scraps are AMAZING in salads.

:toot: indeed.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I love injera but teff flour is so so expensive here, even from the Ethiopian grocery. There's a convenience store nearby where I can get 4 huge pancakes for about $4 though, and it's better than I could make it, so that works when I'm craving it.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Comic posted:

I just heard of grains of paradise moments ago and I want to try it already. Anyone ever cooked with it?

It's basically black pepper. I think poor Romans or Egyptians or something used it since it was cheaper then actual black pepper. It's not really anything very special, it's obscure enough now that some places use the name to make their food sound fancier. Use it like pepper.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Daedalus Esquire posted:

It's basically black pepper. I think poor Romans or Egyptians or something used it since it was cheaper then actual black pepper. It's not really anything very special, it's obscure enough now that some places use the name to make their food sound fancier. Use it like pepper.

Well I do enjoy freshly cracked black pepper. I'll have to grab it if I ever see it, I hear it has more of a woody smell.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Suggestions for deviled eggs? Was going to make some today, I'm trying to make myself like eggs more. Beyond some fresh green chives and smoked paprika, I was just going to make a pretty standard deviled egg. Short of adding lobster or something, what do you do to make your favorite eggs?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Suggestions for deviled eggs? Was going to make some today, I'm trying to make myself like eggs more. Beyond some fresh green chives and smoked paprika, I was just going to make a pretty standard deviled egg. Short of adding lobster or something, what do you do to make your favorite eggs?

Mix in a good amount of Parmesan cheese and a bit of onion powder with the yolk.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I like a tiny bit of finely minced raw garlic and celery along with a lot of mayo and salt / black pepper / a dash of cayenne

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Mix the yolks with sriracha mayo, top with sliced green onions

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

The kimchi and bacon ones from momofuku are pretty good

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Jalapenos or serranos are good in deviled eggs. I like to do half that and half red chile (Fresno or chipotle usually) for visual contrast in addition to flavor. Habaneros are loving delicious as well if you can stand the heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Bum the Sad posted:

Not chicken, but chole palak is saucy and tasty. Give veggie Indian recipes a go generally - those people know how to do vegetables drat well. We eat a lot of curry in this house, and my partner is a fan of using recipes from this site. Also look up some of dino.'s posts.