Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Yeah it actually does help a bit which i'm not sure I like since this game actually seems to expect you to be careful with using ammo. Feels like I paid money to make the game pull its punches.

Also goddamn this game looks great with GeDoSaTo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished watching a guy on Twitch (dan, who does a 31-day horror game marathon annually during October) play through Scratches. I'm sorry I missed this game the first time around. Loved the music. Loved the way the low-key ambiance made the final scare at the end particularly frightening.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Yeah it actually does help a bit which i'm not sure I like since this game actually seems to expect you to be careful with using ammo. Feels like I paid money to make the game pull its punches.

Also goddamn this game looks great with GeDoSaTo

Yeah, I explicitly didn't pre-order on PC so I didn't have that pack.

Also, does GeDoSaTo make a big difference? I've never used it before.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
So for anyone playing it on PC, check this thread.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1508646-debug-console-commands/

There's commands to unlock the framerate / lock it to 60, with the caveat that "there may be quirks (we’re going to fix these)" for 60 locked and "We will not fix any issues above 60" for unlocked. You can also change the aspect ratio to eliminate the borders but it seems to gently caress up the perspective.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 14, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Brackhar posted:

Yeah, I explicitly didn't pre-order on PC so I didn't have that pack.

Also, does GeDoSaTo make a big difference? I've never used it before.
For the uninitiated, what is GeDoSaTo?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

So for anyone playing it on PC, check this thread.

There's commands to unlock the framerate / lock it to 60, with the caveat that "there may be quirks (we’re going to fix these)" for 60 locked and "We will not fix any issues above 60" for unlocked. You can also change the aspect ratio to eliminate the borders but it seems to gently caress up the perspective.

I really wish you could remove the borders without screwing with the perspective.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

GeDoSaTo is a utility that grew out of the DSFix for Dark Souls. Effectively it attempts to change the internal buffer resolution of games using DirectX, so that the game is rendering at or above the target resolution. A lot of console ports have a low internal render buffer size and then upscale the result to the target resolution which blurs the textures. Anytime you hear about a game running at 900p on one console and 720p on another, even though the output is to a 1080p TV, that's what they're talking about.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
Alien Isolation, Evil Within, and Silent Hills is a pretty promising (admittedly, not yet proven) big budget horror lineup this early into the console life-cycle. I'm curious whether publishers have some reason to think horror games are a safe bet again or whether it just takes a big name or respected property to get bankrolled.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Red Pyramid posted:

Alien Isolation, Evil Within, and Silent Hills is a pretty promising (admittedly, not yet proven) big budget horror lineup this early into the console life-cycle. I'm curious whether publishers have some reason to think horror games are a safe bet again or whether it just takes a big name or respected property to get bankrolled.

It's great, isn't it? I've got Evil Within downloading now. At least two mostly positive reviews saying as a con this game is stuck in the past convinced me. I mean, I have to check that out and see how that can be anything but a good thing when it comes to this genre

ethanol fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 14, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Not intending to derail Evil Within chat, but hey I played a zombie game!

:spooky: The 31 DaysGames of October :spooky:

1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition

8. How to Survive

(No screenshots this time, my keyboard was bugging out)

I decided to pick this up based on the replies in the Steam thread, and I'm glad I did. How to Survive plays like an isometric action game but with more emphasis on managing resources. The campaign strands you on an archipelago of zombie-infested islands, and you have to do quests for the other survivors to try to escape. Along the way you'll find tons of crafting materials to make weapons, armor, meals, tonics, and other goodies to help you survive. There's also a skill tree you progress through by leveling up and a full index of recipes to learn and rare flora & fauna to discover. The combat is solid if a bit floaty (kind of feels like Path of Exile if you could play it with a controller), and I especially like the ranged combat system. You aim with the right stick, and the longer you hold your aim steady, the more accurate it becomes until it becomes a headshot. Really makes fights against hordes tense as you struggle to make every shot count.

The crafting system is very cool, with tons of options and things to discover, and also somewhat forgiving as it often lets you uncombine items if you don't like the results. However as one poster pointed out, the limited inventory REALLY works against the design. You won't really know what something is good for until you're able to combine it with something else, so naturally you want to hold on to one of everything. It's just like the crafting system in Teleglitch, actually... except here there's like 10x as many items to hoard, and just as little space. I'm starting to feel the frustration, and I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just dump tons of stuff if I want to finish this playthrough. I imagine once you have some experience with the game it's easier to know what to keep and what to toss.

The story and writing are barely serviceable, but that seems a small consideration in a game like this. There's co-op and challenge modes if you tire of story mode, and each of the three playable characters (there's a 4th DLC character) is persistent across all modes. If inventory wasn't so limited I would be extremely pleased with this game, but as it stands it's more than worth the current $3.75 asking price (good for the next 10 hours!).

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Zombie Samurai posted:

Not intending to derail Evil Within chat, but hey I played a zombie game!

2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher

8. How to Survive

(No screenshots this time, my keyboard was bugging out)

I decided to pick this up based on the replies in the Steam thread, and I'm glad I did. How to Survive plays like an isometric action game but with more emphasis on managing resources. The campaign strands you on an archipelago of zombie-infested islands, and you have to do quests for the other survivors to try to escape. Along the way you'll find tons of crafting materials to make weapons, armor, meals, tonics, and other goodies to help you survive. There's also a skill tree you progress through by leveling up and a full index of recipes to learn and rare flora & fauna to discover. The combat is solid if a bit floaty (kind of feels like Path of Exile if you could play it with a controller), and I especially like the ranged combat system. You aim with the right stick, and the longer you hold your aim steady, the more accurate it becomes until it becomes a headshot. Really makes fights against hordes tense as you struggle to make every shot count.

The crafting system is very cool, with tons of options and things to discover, and also somewhat forgiving as it often lets you uncombine items if you don't like the results. However as one poster pointed out, the limited inventory REALLY works against the design. You won't really know what something is good for until you're able to combine it with something else, so naturally you want to hold on to one of everything. It's just like the crafting system in Teleglitch, actually... except here there's like 10x as many items to hoard, and just as little space. I'm starting to feel the frustration, and I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just dump tons of stuff if I want to finish this playthrough. I imagine once you have some experience with the game it's easier to know what to keep and what to toss.

The story and writing are barely serviceable, but that seems a small consideration in a game like this. There's co-op and challenge modes if you tire of story mode, and each of the three playable characters (there's a 4th DLC character) is persistent across all modes. If inventory wasn't so limited I would be extremely pleased with this game, but as it stands it's more than worth the current $3.75 asking price (good for the next 10 hours!).

I found How To Survive kinda all over the place in terms of tone. The world and setting are played pretty straight, except for all of the tutorials which have this lively background music and cheesy comic style animation. It's a pretty decent game to play, mostly due to the bow and arrow feeling great, but I didn't end up completing it. The last section of the game has this fairly annoying scavenger quest that, on-top of being over-long, was actually bugged and incompletable on my save. If the gameplay appeals to you though I think it's a good grab on sale. The inventory stuff is a pain for sure, but if it's any help later in the game you get the ability to go back to old areas freely, so you can just start creating stashes of interesting items at the docks.

Regarding The Evil Within I just played for about an hour (finished chapter 2), and my early thoughts are good. I'm not super scared by anything that's happening, but it definitely is tense so far. I'm actually reminded a lot in gameplay style of the Siren games of old, though with the addition of some actually meaningful ways to kill enemies. This is definitely more of a stealth horror compared to the ole' ammo trucking Resident Evil games; just something to be aware of.

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 14, 2014

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Any time someone says a horror game plays like an old horror game like it's a bad thing I'm like :psyduck:

Tank controls 4lyfe

I'm gonna have to try Evil Within. Is it better optimized than Dead Rising 3?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Any time someone says a horror game plays like an old horror game like it's a bad thing I'm like :psyduck:

Tank controls 4lyfe

I'm gonna have to try Evil Within. Is it better optimized than Dead Rising 3?

Oh right, Dead Rising 3 is real crash happy, isn't it? Well that sucks. I was kind of interested but not if the game still isn't stable.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Tank controls 4lyfe

I think the prevalence of bad controls in old horror games, and their importance to their scariness, is really overblown. The early Resident Evils had tank controls, sure, but none of the other popular Japanese franchises (Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Siren, Clock Tower, etc.) had controls so egregious they became an obstacle to survival. Those games were scary because they were novel and surreal; they put an emphasis on pacing and atmosphere; they had relatively excellent production values; and they weren't afraid to de-emphasize combat and emphasize vulnerability.

I also think Shadows of the Damned gets criminally overlooked in discussions of Mikami. I'm really excited for The Evil Within, but in my mind Resident Evil 4 already had a spiritual successor, and it was Shadows.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Volt Catfish posted:

Oh right, Dead Rising 3 is real crash happy, isn't it? Well that sucks. I was kind of interested but not if the game still isn't stable.

Supposedly if you do the new patch. Playing on a midrange system, updated drivers and the patch made things look like even more poo poo than the 720p and halved level of detail I had to play to make it run at 20fps.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Red Pyramid posted:

The thing with horror games is that they seem to come and go in cycles. A couples years with high profile horror, then nothing but indie. This wouldn't be much of an issue if 1) Indie horror games are mostly bad ripoffs of one of a half dozen popular releases and 2) big budget horror games increasingly become action games as they get sequels (see Resident Evil, Dead Space). Those two factors meant that while indie horror thrived big budget horror temporarily became horror-themed action games, meaning there wasn't actually a ton of horror games worth playing.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I liked tank controls for slower games. It gave your character weight. Human beings don't turn 180 degrees instantly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

woodenchicken posted:

I liked tank controls for slower games. It gave your character weight. Human beings don't turn 180 degrees instantly.

But humans do pivot. Tank controls were fine once they added the quick turn. Silent Hill took it a step forward with strafing and he also had a clumsy momentum where he could run into walls and shifted when he came to a full stop.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

Xenomrph posted:

If you run a game at 1600x900 and it has jagged lines that ruin the looks of the game, then you can use this utility to make your graphics card assemble the image internally at a higher resolution, say 1920x1080, which then still has the jaggies but many more pixels. Before sending it to your monitor though, it reduces the image back to 1600x900 which blurs those jagged edges and improves the overall quality of the picture.

So its a trade off between resolution and smoothness. You obviously need hardware good enough to run at a better res than you will see on screen to do it.

Example:
Look at the grass here

ChrisXP fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 14, 2014

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I'm dying to get home and fire up Evil Within. Anyone playing on next gen consoles able to comment on framerate? Some of the early trailers had what looked to be noticeably stuttery framerate drops during what looked to be cutscenes. The last Bethesda gameplay video didn't appear to have those issues, but you know... rather hear how it runs in the field.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

ChrisXP posted:

If you run a game at 1600x900 and it has jagged lines that ruin the looks of the game, then you can use this utility to make your graphics card assemble the image internally at a higher resolution, say 1920x1080, which then still has the jaggies but many more pixels. Before sending it to your monitor though, it reduces the image back to 1600x900 which blurs those jagged edges and improves the overall quality of the picture.

So its a trade off between resolution and smoothness. You obviously need hardware good enough to run at a better res than you will see on screen to do it.

Example:
Look at the grass here

it also appears to add spooky ghosts to your games

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FastestGunAlive posted:

it also appears to add spooky ghosts to your games

Oh, that's a feature from Dark Souls II itself, nothing to do with GeDoSaTo.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
I apparently missed the crossbow in The Evil Within and can't go back to get it. Anyone else have this happen? Does the weapon appear again or do I have to restart the entire game because of this?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Properly executed tank controls improve all games. Resident Evil 4 and Godhand qed.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Finally sat down with The Evil Within and have some first impressions. That youtube LP is definitely on a last gen console, the textures are what you would expect from id5 on such a platform. it looks comparably terrible particularly because the brightness is set too high. In addition to that, it looks to me like some important graphic settings for light and shadow are just turned off on the older consoles. Simply put, it's darker and higher res on pc.

The first part really got my heart going. Just wasn't really ready for.. that. Resident Evil vibes upped a few notches owed to the stealth mechanic. If this game turns out to be Resident Evil 4 with stealth, I'm going to be very happy.

Ok, so I'm having fun, but... the black borders are silly. Why? I mean. Why?
And then the camera.... well, I can't seem to get a clear view of anything while sneaking.

Edit, a few screenshots.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 14, 2014

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

Properly executed tank controls improve all games. Resident Evil 4 and Godhand qed.

It depends on how the camera works - if as a player you have absolute control over the camera at all times (which horror games tend not to have, but action games do), then camera dependent direction control tends to be more intuitive. If the camera angle can change suddenly without warning though, then tank controls are much better since you don't get that issue of "I'm going to run right back into the door I just came through because what was forward in the last room is backwards in this one".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ethanol posted:

Ok, so I'm having fun, but... the black borders are silly. Why? I mean. Why?

Because it's cinematic, man! You heard the Ubisoft guy, 900p just looks better even if that means letterboxing 1080p.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
I've created a The Evil Within thread. Come on over!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3672159

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!

BrandNew posted:

I apparently missed the crossbow in The Evil Within and can't go back to get it. Anyone else have this happen? Does the weapon appear again or do I have to restart the entire game because of this?

Yeah, so I stopped apparently 1 single room before the 2nd time the game gives it to you. loving :lol:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

al-azad posted:

Because it's cinematic, man! You heard the Ubisoft guy, 900p just looks better even if that means letterboxing 1080p.

Funny thing is Tech5 should have 0 problems with this.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

al-azad posted:

Developers need to get over cinematic, its as if they believe movies are designed with black borders in mind, and not that it happens because they are designed for cinemas, where we won't be playing games.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I hope my i5 4670K will run TEW nice (I have 4gb of VRAM)

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

I hope this gets modded soon because I'm not buying it in this state. I mean, widescreen has been hacked into pretty much every game at this point, so this shouldn't be that hard either?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

woodenchicken posted:

I hope this gets modded soon because I'm not buying it in this state. I mean, widescreen has been hacked into pretty much every game at this point, so this shouldn't be that hard either?

You can use console commands to remove the letterboxing and framelock in Evil Within.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

woodenchicken posted:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

If you decide to do a game challenge it might seem like a good idea to include some bad games you can write off easily, but really they'll kill your will to play harder than anything else. I even took screenshots of today's games but they were so ugly and boring I didn't bother uploading them.

2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
8. How to Survive

9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed

I actually had high hopes for this one. I'm pretty forgiving of point-and-click games, and honestly more things should make use of the brutal, almost alien Soviet aesthetic. It started well enough, with my character waking up in the bowels of some Cold War bunker with only emergency lighting to guide him. The rooms are pre-rendered and you can pan your view around to examine them, but movement is solely clicking through different static scenes. There is shockingly little to interact with in each scene, and your character will only comment on things that block his progress, and infrequently at that. The atmosphere starts out plenty oppressive and mysterious, but the puzzles and the terrible voice acting quickly do away with that.

And my God, the puzzles. It took me over 10 minutes to solve the very first one in the game because you have to find a loose panel under your feet in the dark, and then solve a math problem based on a number you might not have paid any attention to. I quit in the area after that after finding a punch card, a pencil, a key that did not unlock any of the three locked doors nearby, and a radio that you could tune that might be a puzzle. I can't see anyone but the most meticulous puzzling grognards having fun with this.

If your dream game is boring, obtuse Soviet MYST, then you might like it. Otherwise don't bother.

10. Burn Zombie Burn!

How many zombie murderfest games are there on Steam now? Probably enough that you don't need to worry about one that came out over 4 years ago. Burn Zombie Burn has exactly one interesting mechanic, and that's that you get a melee attack that sets zombies on fire. Every zombie currently on fire adds one to your score multiplier, and killing a burning zombie can yield better powerups. However, burning zombies move faster, hit harder, and if they burn to death award you no points. So if you want to be grandmaster of zombie murder, you have to balance setting zombies on fire against mowing them down.

Outside of that, you have a standard assortment of guns and chainsaws and bombs. There are some unique zombie types you've seen before like exploding ones and armored ones. You can trigger a special event for each level like the zombies doing the Thriller dance if you get high enough combos with a single weapon. The graphics are ugly cartoony, and the blood spray particle effect wouldn't render for me so I got black boxes every time I hit a zombie. Your character's hair looks like poop. Seriously, play something else.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You're doing a good job there. I'm looking forward to the rest of your reviews.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Do the two Still Life games and share in my pain. Cookies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DeathChicken posted:

Do the two Still Life games and share in my pain. Cookies.

Why would you do this to someone. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

To be fair, I maintain that the first game really wasn't all that bad, horrifying cookies aside. Then the second one stamped on all my good will from the first one and set it on fire and threw the flaming good will into a dumpster.