Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Into the pit of despair you mean.

One of us. ONE OF US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Get on the boat.

And never get off.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Butt Ghost posted:

I have no idea why I was following this thread until now. I will go read Berserk, brb

I am both happy and very, very sorry for you.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
All aboard the slow boat to elf land.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Butt Ghost posted:

I have no idea why I was following this thread until now. I will go read Berserk, brb

Be ready to lie to yourself that Miura's probably gonna wrap it up pretty soon. In about four years tops.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is the beginning of the manga (with Guts killing the succubus mid-sex) semi-frequently homaged or something? The new Garo show did something vaguely similar and it got called out as a cliche in the season thread, but I've only ever seen anything like it here and in that show.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

PiedPiper posted:

Be ready to lie to yourself that Miura's probably gonna wrap it up pretty soon. In about four years tops.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is the beginning of the manga (with Guts killing the succubus mid-sex) semi-frequently homaged or something? The new Garo show did something vaguely similar and it got called out as a cliche in the season thread, but I've only ever seen anything like it here and in that show.
It's an homage to being metal as gently caress.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Always thought it was a reference to the Wolf Witch scene in Conan the Barbarian

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm not asking what it's a reference to, I'm asking if other stuff references the Berserk bit often or something.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I don't recall seeing that bit getting referenced a lot, but Berserk is one of the essential mangas so it does get referenced a lot.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
There is also the very unlikely possibility that the season thread is dumb and doesn't know what its talking about.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah that's probably the case. :v:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I just read through the bit were Guts stabs a demon dude in front of his innocent daughter. I'm starting to get the sneaking suspicion that maybe he might be a tiny bit of a psychopath. Also Griffith is a cool-looking motherfucker.

edit: what the gently caress is up with the Baphomet orgy?

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 14, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
How does it feel living in backwards world?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Butt Ghost posted:

I just read through the bit were Guts stabs a demon dude in front of his innocent daughter. I'm starting to get the sneaking suspicion that maybe he might be a tiny bit of a psychopath. Also Griffith is a cool-looking motherfucker.

Guts can be a huge rear end in a top hat, but don't worry, he is really well-written.

Baphomet orgies were all the rage on those days.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Butt Ghost posted:

I hope you come here often. I really want to hear regular opinions of the first-time reader of Berserk and to recall my own long-lost naivete when I thought manga's darkness was going to be limited strictly to Baphomet orgies. I want to feel this despair.
I want to feel something, man.
Anything.
Please.

breaks down crying, everyone else from anonymous berserk readers group starts clapping

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Butt Ghost posted:

Given what demons do guts stabin that demon dad is about the best thing he could have possibly done for leetle girl.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Technically it's just an orgy with a guy wearing a Baphomet hat, though

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
At first.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
he gets stung and becomes baphomet. cool dude

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Butt Ghost posted:

Guts has a few issues to work through.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witches%27_Sabbath

I'm also hoping to hear more first-time reader reactions :allears:

Also, OnimaruXLR, Soulcleaver, Lamebot:

He's talking about the one during the slug count's arc, not the one at the tower of conviction.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Berserk: no we mean the demonic OTHER orgy

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Genocyber posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Berserk: no we mean the OTHER demonic orgy

FTFY

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Well it would attract a lot more readers, that's for sure.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

U-DO Burger posted:

More sorrow filled souls feeling the false caress of Hope each time the thread gets more than three posts in one day.

There are no new chapters. There will be no ending. There awaits no salvation for we who read.

Abandon all ye dreams and desires; the island will not be reached.

:smith:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

U-DO Burger posted:

That's Dark Horse's job, we shouldn't' worry about that.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Andrigaar posted:

More sorrow filled souls feeling the false caress of Hope each time the thread gets more than three posts in one day.

There are no new chapters. There will be no ending. There awaits no salvation for we who read.

Abandon all ye dreams and desires; the island will not be reached.

:smith:

I like that he wrote himself into a corner and is going to let what is now a bloated mess of meandering plotlines die a cool wriggling death

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

We've been Eclipse'd

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Don't worry, they'll get there and it'll be like Fellowship of the Ring and then Casca will be cured and everything will be alright!

Surely...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pleiades posted:

Don't worry, they'll get there and it'll be like Fellowship of the Ring

What, they all split up and have to face the power of evil alone without one another's support? Seems a little too bleak for modern Berserk.

If Casca does get cured though (can't believe this is still in doubt almost twenty years after retard Casca first became a thing), I honestly can't imagine poo poo going any other way. Casca is hardened killer, surely she wants to settle with Griffith.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I figured Casca would get cured the second the Skull Knight said "Yeah she can be healed but that might not be the best thing".

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

bobjr posted:

I figured Casca would get cured the second the Skull Knight said "Yeah she can be healed but that might not be the best thing".

Yeah I only see Casca getting cured ending in heartbreak for Guts and crew.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

What, they all split up and have to face the power of evil alone without one another's support?

No, I mean that Elfheim(I thought it was Elfhelm. I see it everywhere in Berserk discussions like here: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=10299.0) will remain untouched just like Lothlorien and Rivendell were. I think Elfhelm might up being a deconstruction of those places. Then again, Elfhelm is FULL of mages, so who knows?

As for splitting up like in the end of Fellowship, I can't see that happening unless they fight over the Behelit.

Pleiades fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 18, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Elfheim. From the Germanic/Norwegian word for "home."

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Sorry, it's actually *clears throat, puts on most nasal nerd voice* 妖精郷, read erufuherumu, Elfhelm.

Why Miura went with what (in English) looks like a typo rather than an actual place-name, I'll never know. Possibly an intentional corruption that ended up looking more awkward than intended when transliterated.

EDIT: lmao it just struck me that it might be a corruption of Elfholm, lit. Elf (small) Island. From old Norse holmr, still in use as holme in modern Swedish, and in a bunch of place names (usually islands with viking connections).

LordMune fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 18, 2014

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
If you go by the kanji, the third kanji is for home town/village, not island. Why he didn't go with エルフハイム for the kana is a mystery to me. I've seen a few Japanese people call it that anyway.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Zogundar posted:

If you go by the kanji, the third kanji is for home town/village, not island. Why he didn't go with エルフハイム for the kana is a mystery to me. I've seen a few Japanese people call it that anyway.

I could see it being an attempt at a play on words sort of pun... huh. Welp it's a little too nerdy to be the kind of thing I'd like to ask the author, but it's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

LordMune posted:

Why Miura went with what (in English) looks like a typo rather than an actual place-name, I'll never know. Possibly an intentional corruption that ended up looking more awkward than intended when transliterated.
Like Schierke, which was probably supposed to be Circe?