Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I'm kind of impressed with Cryptic there. It's still "rare" but hardly unattainable from either boxes or the exchange, and you get the full assortment of lockbox ship "stuff" except a console (which you'd never use) and the free T5u upgrade. Helps to pad out the anemic raider selection too, even if it's kind of a crappy one. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

I'm amazed at the effort in this booby prize. Full ship model and bridge model. I guess they had the ship model ready from story elements and they knew that nobody would buy a drat Kazon ship.

Kazon Ship - Just like Felix it is the ship that no one asked for or wanted.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Kazons are a race of people dressed like homeless guys and their hair the dude from Ancient Aliens

I sure want to drive that guy's hemp-smelling 88 buick regal

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Quick update on a blatant cashgrab PWE is doing with the T6 fleet ships.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Wow, they're charging that much dil for the Butts T6+ doff? loving outrageous!

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

This is really pathetically greedy.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I thought making spergs pay $500 for each new lockbox was enough, the whole T6 thing is just unbelievable greed.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
As a guy who has spent a fair amount of cash on this game, this expansion is turning me off the whole thing. Every new detail is more greedy than the last.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

A Fancy Bloke posted:

As a guy who has spent a fair amount of cash on this game, this expansion is turning me off the whole thing. Every new detail is more greedy than the last.

Likewise. I've switched to The Old Republic for my dumb space needs for a while. Might check back on STO early next year at this rate.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, I dunno, it's pretty much in line with my idea that they're basically replacing ship-specific consoles (retrofit consoles) with Level 5 Ship Traits due to universal console overcrowding. It's the same as the current system in that respect.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 14, 2014

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MikeJF posted:

Eh, I dunno, it's pretty much in line with my idea that they're basically replacing ship-specific consoles (retrofit consoles) with Level 5 Ship Traits due to console overcrowding. It's the same as the current system in that respect.

That's a good idea actually. Except they still have the consoles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

wdarkk posted:

That's a good idea actually. Except they still have the consoles.

Oh, yes they do. Weeeeeeeeeeeell... yes.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is that why they're delaying the release of fleet T6 ships? To avoid more complaints at release? Because there's no way that it takes extra time to copy a regular ship and add another console slot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, no, they were always going to delay the Fleet version release, just like they did with ships like the Ar'Kif. If you release the Fleet one right off the bat you lose a bunch of people buying the Zen versions.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Even if I didn't feel too sick to play, this is pretty depressing. I think it's off to better games sooner rather than later now.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
I suppose it isn't necessarily too bad for people who want to buy the zen ship so they can use it on multiple characters anyway. In the long run buying the zen version followed by using 1 FSM and some FC its a little cheaper.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Y'all are acting like you're not going to just keep flying your level 40 ship...

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Melchior posted:

I suppose it isn't necessarily too bad for people who want to buy the zen ship so they can use it on multiple characters anyway. In the long run buying the zen version followed by using 1 FSM and some FC its a little cheaper.
It's not that much worse than the old way of doing things. The biggest problem is that you'll have to fly the non-fleet ship for awhile just to unlock the trait.

The problem I see is that the traits system doesn't mesh well with the new (expensive, grindy) upgrade system. The ship traits encourage flying lots of different ships to unlock various ship traits, which fits in with the way the game used to be played. But the new upgrade system makes it much harder to equip a bunch of different ships, encouraging you to pick one ship and slowly grind up nice equipment for it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

g0del posted:

It's not that much worse than the old way of doing things. The biggest problem is that you'll have to fly the non-fleet ship for awhile just to unlock the trait.

Oh if that's true that's dumb as hell. That can't be the case.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Oh if that's true that's dumb as hell. That can't be the case.
I guess they might fix it for fleet ships, they haven't announced anything about them that I've seen yet. But if I read their ship trait blog post right, you can use the ship traits on any ship once they're unlocked, but to unlock them you have to fly the ship they're from until it levels up to level 5.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Bridge officer training is currently broken :downs:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Neelix has some good VA in this.

nuklear
Dec 16, 2013
So I hit 50 last night and not quite sure how to progress to 60, only been playing a couple days and still have my level 40 ship (didn't buy a level 50 one) should I buy a level 50 one and grind it up or wait until 60 and try to do content up to 60 in my level 40?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I noticed yesterday that spiral wave disruptors are being sold in Dilithium store for DIL 38,750 under special items. Is this new?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

MoraleHazard posted:

I noticed yesterday that spiral wave disruptors are being sold in Dilithium store for DIL 38,750 under special items. Is this new?

No, and you can only purchase them if you already own a galor on that character.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Well, that simplifies my decision regarding my next ship greatly!

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
So the upgrade tokens are 700 zen each or 4 for 2000.

Nice of them to make you actually pay 10 if you just want one since they don't accept transactions less than $10 for zen on the website.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Why would you use the website. Use steam or something.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Steam doesn't work for me and a bunch of other people.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Nice of them to make you actually pay 10 if you just want one since they don't accept transactions less than $10 for zen on the website.

I think you can buy 5$ through steam... not that this helps.

God, everything regarding the cash shop in this patch is a player screwing disaster. Good work on loving the golden goose, PWE. Think of how much a new player would need to spend to be competitive now and you realize how badly they hosed over their one good selling point (being "the one good F2P game")

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Asimo posted:

I think you can buy 5$ through steam... not that this helps.

God, everything regarding the cash shop in this patch is a player screwing disaster. Good work on loving the golden goose, PWE. Think of how much a new player would need to spend to be competitive now and you realize how badly they hosed over their one good selling point (being "the one good F2P game")

I know it's just more bitching and moaning, but yeah. I totally, unironically, 100% agree with Asimo.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Are you ready for the dumbest workaround?

Open your ARC account and go to the page where it tells you how much Zen you have. At the bottom, there should be a little box with "CHARGE YOUR ZEN" in it. Go there and then buy Zen through the pan-games ARC page - it has a $5 option. Then you have to tell it specifically to send that zen you just bought to the holodeck server for star trek online.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
At work so can't play yet, but how are the new missions? Good/Bad?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Are you ready for the dumbest workaround?

Open your ARC account and go to the page where it tells you how much Zen you have. At the bottom, there should be a little box with "CHARGE YOUR ZEN" in it. Go there and then buy Zen through the pan-games ARC page - it has a $5 option. Then you have to tell it specifically to send that zen you just bought to the holodeck server for star trek online.

It's not really solving the issue though which is that it's not a round number. It's hot dogs and hot dog buns.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

At work so can't play yet, but how are the new missions? Good/Bad?
Kinda... average. The actual featured episode style missions are as fun as ever, but around half the missions are basically just collections of Tau Dewa-style patrols. Which is good to introduce you to the fact you can do that, except that it's kind of slow and boring. :shrug:

A Fancy Bloke posted:

It's not really solving the issue though which is that it's not a round number. It's hot dogs and hot dog buns.
Yeah. If they did 500z each with a 2000z five pack I'm not sure Cryptic would even have made less money. And even if they did make slightly less, it would at least feel like less of a blatant screwjob, especially after everyone's dumped tens of thousands of dilithium into item upgrades to merely keep pace.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't bothered to play for some months knowing this was coming, and as I wade through the predictable confusion I'm finding myself fairly unimpressed with the new doodads, especially with a thirty dollar price tag on them. And predictably they just ramped up the grind so you have to run on the treadmill for even longer to return to the relative power you had before, as all the old task forces got dialed up to 11, so all the new bells and whistles don't make you a space badass, they just unnerf you relative to the ramped up difficulty.

I am disappoint.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Dootman posted:

No, and you can only purchase them if you already own a galor on that character.

And here I was all pumped to grind dil for them without bothering with the ship. Oh well.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

MoraleHazard posted:

And here I was all pumped to grind dil for them without bothering with the ship. Oh well.

Since Cardassians are the master race and they made the Galor, there's only one logical choice.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Valatar posted:

I haven't bothered to play for some months knowing this was coming, and as I wade through the predictable confusion I'm finding myself fairly unimpressed with the new doodads, especially with a thirty dollar price tag on them. And predictably they just ramped up the grind so you have to run on the treadmill for even longer to return to the relative power you had before, as all the old task forces got dialed up to 11, so all the new bells and whistles don't make you a space badass, they just unnerf you relative to the ramped up difficulty.

I am disappoint.
To be fair, some of this they had to do. People were already space badasses, making them more powerful without re-balancing things would be pointless.

Significantly upping the difficulty of old content while decreasing the rewards is bullshit, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
So how much did the update break things? I don't mean a bullet point list but in general, a lot? A little? I saw the bit about Boffs. I guess it's time to make the call if I want to buy the big get everything pack, or finally call it quits on this game, most of the things I've heard about the expansion are leaving a bad taste. Looking here and at reddit there is a big lack of people "gee whizzing!" at the new poo poo and that's making me really wonder if it's time to get out.

• Locked thread