Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Gimnbo posted:

Gamers want the "art" label applied because they think it lends some indiscernible credibility to the medium. It's something that some of them can use to deflect criticism when someone points out that their tastes are kind of base and unsophisticated. They want the illusion of being high culture. It's the same reason you see so many fedoras, really.

This is a good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
Edit: Nevermind, I've decided not to argue about video games.

SpliffClavin has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Oct 14, 2014

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Video games are both sports and art, and some article somewhere said video games make you smarter, so I don't even know why we are even bothering with school anymore!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There is art in Batman punching a criminal so hard the man clips through geometry and vanishes from the universe itself.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Militree posted:

This whole GamerGate fiasco makes me want to look back at the Jack Thompson thing and see if maybe the gaming side was acting just as childish and petulant. I remember my friend, who isn't a gamer, saying she saw him speak and he was reasonably level headed.

To be fair he was permanently disbarred, so there's clearly some problems on his side.

SybilVimes posted:

I was just glad that Ebert could use the same introspection on his medium of choice, and didn't just hand wave away his 'games aren't art' routine when things like Transformers comes along.

Oh wait, no, he loved that piece of poo poo high art.

The important thing to know about Ebert's reviews was that he judged movies based on what category they fit into. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to rank a superhero movie at the same artistic level as, say, Schindler's List, since they're both trying to accomplish completely different things. So a four-star review from him didn't mean "the greatest of films, exceptional high art", but rather that it excelled at what it set out to do.

And the first Transformers movie is a reasonably fun popcorn movie, even though the sequels were utter garbage.

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

I posted that Ebola bleach thing to my Facebook with a "Thanks Barack Hussein Ebola" and at least three people still fell for it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Obsolete posted:

I posted that Ebola bleach thing to my Facebook with a "Thanks Barack Hussein Ebola" and at least three people still fell for it.

So you killed 3 people?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Crain posted:

So you killed 3 people?

Call the police.

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

Crain posted:

So you killed 3 people?

Let's hope

Edit: (fell for it by which I mean a known racist and conspiracy theorist I never talk to liked it, then the other two wrote in with "drink bleach? Really?")

Obsolete has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Oct 14, 2014

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
extended family member shared this.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

They literally think that [anything pig] is to Muslims as garlic and being invited in is to Vampires don't they?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Thank you. I love you.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Crain posted:

They literally think that [anything pig] is to Muslims as garlic and being invited in is to Vampires don't they?

There's a reason the Political Cartoon Thread's title for a while was "Ham Stoker's Dracallah"

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Personally I'm more concerned that a person thinks haphazardly spraying ebola on people we don't like is a good idea.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Bioshock: Infinite is gaming's Citizen Kane.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Godfather: The Game is gaming's The Godfather

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Gimnbo posted:

Personally I'm more concerned that a person thinks haphazardly spraying ebola on people we don't like is a good idea.

It's ok because it's brown people dying. Also because they are foreign.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Why do games want to be art? It would just invite the "actual" art crowd to look at games and go " yeah about 98% of this doesn't really have any artistic value outside of being something that humans created"

Then the internet would explode about what is considered "actual art" and what the definition of artistic value is.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Why do games want to be art? It would just invite the "actual" art crowd to look at games and go " yeah about 98% of this doesn't really have any artistic value outside of being something that humans created"

Then the internet would explode about what is considered "actual art" and what the definition of artistic value is.

The whole point of art is to debate its value.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

It's ok because it's brown people dying. Also because they are foreign.

The thing is you actually think that brown people and foreigners are actually, well, people. I'm sure a lot of these white middle class sorts don't see anyone who isn't white as an actual person.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I don't think gamers even want games to be criticized as art. A lot can't even handle someone saying "You know, it's a bit of a boys club still and theres a bit of sexism out there." Imagine the meltdown if they were genuinely told that Dark Souls or Mario Brothers may fail on many merits of being art or whatever.

Edit: Hell, look at the loving meltdowns people have over someone maybe saying that Spec Ops isn't exactly the Apocalypse Now of video games :v:

Tracula has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Oct 14, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Because it'll make them feel like all the time wasted playing a video game was worth it. That they were doing something worthwhile. When the reality is that its a stupid time waster. Dont get me wrong, playing games is awesome but just :lol: at any dumb gently caress who calls themselves a gamer.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Darth Freddy posted:

extended family member shared this.

Knowing any kind of information about anything ->

People like this
V

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

For content:

quote:

Like honestly, I could probably go screw a complete dead beat, get pregnant and go on Welfare and live better than I do now. Welfare cheque day in our city is like a Apocalypse of irresponsible spending.

Jesus christ, wish I could find those posts with stories on people who were on welfare.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

For content:

Jesus christ, wish I could find those posts with stories on people who were on welfare.

Why does it have to be a deadbeat? Are the poors the only people capable of getting women pregnant? Some scientists should probably look into this :ohdear:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Nah rich or poor can have kids, but kids with parents that are below an imaginary of "x dollars per year" are simply inferior because their parents didn't pass on their bootstrapping genes meaning the kids are gonna end up taking "ALL ARE MONEY" just like their parents did to buy stakes and refrigerators

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I really like folk/outsider art and am currently in negotiations to buy a piece by Leon Kennedy (from Leon Kennedy, which is so totally awesome!). There is a juvenile element to it, but that is also part of what creates its authenticity. My wife is really in love with the motif of people touching and I can't help but agree, it is beautiful.

It isn't just the picture but the person and condition that created the art.

We can treat video games as pop art. If we accept that, we can treat John Romero like George Lucas. They both totally revolutionized the medium, but their success was also clearly a collaborative process, given how their individual projects turned out.

The juvenile elements of Leon Kennedy's art can be contrasted with the adolescent elements of John Romero's opus:

Clearly these are of equal value and ought be treated as such.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Gimnbo posted:

Some one said something like this and got called out for having a American attitude. What the gently caress?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

If literally doing nothing counts as art, video games do too.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Nikaer Drekin posted:

The Godfather: The Game is gaming's The Godfather

Just Cause 2 is gaming's Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando.
I'm not trying to be funny, this is not code language.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
everything is art

that's sorta the point

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Fatkraken posted:

everything is art

that's sorta the point

if you call art art, then it's art

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

There is so much wrong with this post.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

There is so much wrong with this post.

In art school you'll see at minimum 2 guys in skirts/dresses a day. Not because they're in drag; it's something about "the man" or "society." Or just being a hipster.

E- the arty video games we made in art school were usually really loving cool. The people who got good at programming made some crazy stuff and pushed everything to and beyond its limits.

I made a strip club game :negative:

E2- and got a 15 minute lecture from some girl about being misogynistic simply because I had strippers. There are strippers in real life so :confused: unfortunately I do not have her tumblr.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 02:44 on Oct 15, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I know I post about this at my own risk, but according to the trending articles on Facebook, Anita Sarkesian canceled a speech at a college campus in Arkansas because someone threatened a campus massacre if she was allowed to speak. Dude.

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?????

e: Utah, not Arkansas.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

In art school you'll see at minimum 2 guys in skirts/dresses a day. Not because they're in drag; it's something about "the man" or "society." Or just being a hipster.

E- the arty video games we made in art school were usually really loving cool. The people who got good at programming made some crazy stuff and pushed everything to and beyond its limits.

I made a strip club game :negative:

E2- and got a 15 minute lecture from some girl about being misogynistic simply because I had strippers. There are strippers in real life so :confused: unfortunately I do not have her tumblr.

What did you do in strip club game?

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Your fursonna is the Lizard 2.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

BgRdMchne posted:

Your fursonna is moon moon.

ftfy

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I know I post about this at my own risk, but according to the trending articles on Facebook, Anita Sarkesian canceled a speech at a college campus in Arkansas because someone threatened a campus massacre if she was allowed to speak. Dude.

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?????

e: Utah, not Arkansas.

Gamergaters are literally calling in bomb threats and mass murder threats to like every event she speaks at or panel she's a part of. Don't worry though:

Whew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Macaluso posted:

Gamergaters are literally calling in bomb threats and mass murder threats to like every event she speaks at or panel she's a part of. Don't worry though:

Whew

People are coming back against this threat in a big way, expect poo poo to be going down.

• Locked thread