Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

CharlesM posted:

Would a hybrid or vehicle with a start / stop system be a good choice for their replacements?

Hah, replacements. Those Grumman trucks are going to be driven until the end of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Not as mechanical as most of the pictures here but plenty of failure and a back story too.

So I recently bought a cheap car long distance. The guy claimed it was roadworthy and knew I would be planning to travel about 1000km to take it home. Just in case, I asked him how the tires were. He sent me this picture:

"You can drive on those, right?"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RillAkBea posted:

"You can drive on those, right?"

Yup. Directly to the scene of the rollover accident.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Someone asked for this picture pages ago.

E: and another that poped on the GIFs thread

Micr0chiP fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 14, 2014

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Micr0chiP posted:

Someone asked for this picture pages ago.

E: and another that poped on the GIFs thread

Thank you for this! I totally forgot I asked. :downs:

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
Same pad, jeez i wonder why my rotor is so scored?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Slavvy posted:

Put a camry hybrid drivetrain in a box with wheels and you'd have the perfect mail van.

Or just do like they did in my neighborhood and make everyone walk to the apartment style mail box. LAzy fuckers can't even be assed to go door to door anymore. At least I don't have to shovel my steps when it snows.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or do what civilised countries do and have the posties ride bicycles/mopeds.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm not clear on how well that works in rural areas, in the rain, in the snow and with packages.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Motronic posted:

I'm not clear on how well that works in rural areas, in the rain, in the snow and with packages.

You just have to ignore the fact that the US is geographically very different from Europe / NZ and then the idea makes perfect sense.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Shampoo posted:

Hah, replacements. Those Grumman trucks are going to be driven until the end of time.

I thought the same about the ones Canada Post had but they were replaced with Transit Connects a couple years ago.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

You just have to ignore the fact that the US is geographically very different from Europe / NZ and then the idea makes perfect sense.

So what you're saying is, News Island is an arid, rainless place where snow is unknown and also it doesn't feature both urbanised areas and remote rural areas which have a very low population density?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
TNT use electric delivery trucks in cities here, I think I posted a photo of one once back in the old phone pictures thread.

Any "The USA isn't Europe" arguments are nonsense. Urban sprawl is urban sprawl, regardless of whether it's a small or large distance between urban sprawls.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The US has huge swaths of land with low population density that sees lots of weather extremes. Lots of Europeans have no idea just how vast the midwest is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's a lot simpler than that too.

People don't ride motorcycles/scooters/mopeds nearly as much in the US. If "have a motorocycle license" was a requirement to be a postal worker, it could cut down on the pool of potential workers substantially.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
it's more that UPS and Fedex farm out a ton of their last mile deliveries to the USPS so they're often carrying fairly large packages and poo poo

also the temperature range where I live goes from like -35c to 42c in the course of a year, I'm preeeeeeeeeeeety sure you don't get that kind of temperature swing in the land of orcs and rapidshare

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

bull3964 posted:

It's a lot simpler than that too.

People don't ride motorcycles/scooters/mopeds nearly as much in the US. If "have a motorocycle license" was a requirement to be a postal worker, it could cut down on the pool of potential workers substantially.

Not all cops are motorcycle cops.

Not all postal workers have to be motorcycle postal workers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Any "The USA isn't Europe" arguments are nonsense. Urban sprawl is urban sprawl, regardless of whether it's a small or large distance between urban sprawls.

I don't think you understand just how low density the US is for most of its land mass.

We don't live on top of each other unless you are in or close to a city, unlike the vast majority of Western Europe.

I'm not talking about delivering in a city or in an urban sprawl area. I'm talking about the rest which is most of it by size.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 14, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

I don't think you understand just how low density the US is for most of its land mass.

We don't live on top of each other unless you are in or close to a city, unlike the vast majority of Western Europe.

No, I understand that just fine. It doesn't matter. That issue affects your decisions for transportation between cities, the situation within the cities themselves is no different.

The Aussies don't drive roadtrains through dowtown Sydney (Unless they've been drinking, someone bet them they couldn't, or it seems like a bit of a laugh).

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

No, I understand that just fine. It doesn't matter. That issue affects your decisions for transportation between cities, the situation within the cities themselves is no different.

The Aussies don't drive roadtrains through dowtown Sydney (Unless they've been drinking, someone bet them they couldn't, or it seems like a bit of a laugh).

Awesome, so you have a great plan for 5% of the country. What about the rest of it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

^^^^

That's exactly my point.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

InitialDave posted:

That vast swath of low-density land right in the middle? That's farmland. It's all settled, people live there, miles and miles apart, and they get mail.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

There are 3000 cities with a population over 10,000 but under 100,000 population in between those urban areas for which it doesn't make sense to have a dedicated sorting and distribution center. There are only 306 cities in the EU with a population under 100,000.

For a city of 10,000 people, which likely supports a rural area of similar size, it doesn't make sense to have a dedicated sorting and distribution center.

I was an owner/operator with DHL, and my route was 500-550km per day and there was a truck with another shipping company that nearly mirrored my route. More than half of the routes were over 250km per day. In a city of 100,000 with an area likely triple or quadruple that of an equivalent european city, all of the inner city stuff was handled by 5 or 6 trucks, out of a fleet of about 30.

You're the most ignorant poster i've seen with regards to north america. You seem like the type of person who would want to take a day out of your trip to toronto to see montreal and vancouver.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 14, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey everyone, you can change how USPS delivers in high-density areas (EV/moped based deliveries) while leaving traditional vehicles in place where they make sense (spread-out rural areas). You can, in fact, do two things!

I bet places like LA or NYC would see great benefits from switching to electric mail trucks, for example (LA especially with their Very Special Geography that causes so much smog buildup.)

E: Have some thread content. Russian train opens a portal to the elemental plane of fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdogZ8_zRbk

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 14, 2014

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Powershift posted:

You're the most ignorant poster i've seen with regards to north america. You seem like the type of person who would want to take a day out of your trip to toronto to see montreal and vancouver.

I had a friend from the Northeast pull this on me a few years ago.

Him: Dude, I'm totally gonna be in Texas next week. I'm free Wednesday night. Dinner?
Me: Awesome. Where are you staying?
Him: The $SOME_HOTEL in Amarillo.
Me: Dude, I'm in Austin. 500 miles away. That's a bit far to go for dinner on a Wednesday.

edit: Was going to add content but apparently my camera hates me. Driving home last night there was a Civic with the most insane camber I've ever seen driving on the street. Stupid camera.

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 14, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

USPS actually already runs about 30 electric vehicles in NYC and they have a few other trials running now and through the years. It seems though that most of the time the company supplying them with the vehicles ends up cancelling the program.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift, who is a completely different poster to EightBit posted:

:allears:

Have you forgotten the posts that started this topic?

Geirskogul posted:

The starter motor on the LLV probably just finally rebelled and spun backwards while she was delivering mail. I mean, have you seen mail carriers drive those things? Start it up, drive to one house, turn it off, deliver mail, start it up, drive to the next house down, turn it off, deliver mail...
This is exactly the situation an electric or hybrid vehicle is perfect for.

Fucknag posted:

Hey everyone, you can change how USPS delivers in high-density areas (EV/moped based deliveries) while leaving traditional vehicles in place where they make sense (spread-out rural areas). You can, in fact, do two things!

I bet places like LA or NYC would see great benefits from switching to electric mail trucks, for example (LA especially with their Very Special Geography that causes so much smog buildup.)
This is the conversation we are having.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 15, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Fucknag posted:

We're working on it GOD MOM

https://about.usps.com/what-we-are-doing/green/vehicles.htm

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kill-9 posted:

I had a friend from the Northeast pull this on me a few years ago.

Him: Dude, I'm totally gonna be in Texas next week. I'm free Wednesday night. Dinner?
Me: Awesome. Where are you staying?
Him: The $SOME_HOTEL in Amarillo.
Me: Dude, I'm in Austin. 500 miles away. That's a bit far to go for dinner on a Wednesday.

Pfft, that's like a 20 minute drive once you take into account the speed Texans hurl their trucks down the road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bull3964 posted:

USPS actually already runs about 30 electric vehicles in NYC and they have a few other trials running now and through the years. It seems though that most of the time the company supplying them with the vehicles ends up cancelling the program.

It probably states in the contract the vehicle requires XX mile range, which is possible with a fresh battery, but after 300 cycles from a year of use, with 90% capacity it falls under the range and USPS turns into a dick.

This one has a bonus failure

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Cross post from the Jeep thread, my water pump gave out. Impellers just disappeared. I found one, not sure where the others are.

This is the second time I've had a water pump fail like this.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Horse Divorce posted:

Cross post from the Jeep thread, my water pump gave out. Impellers just disappeared. I found one, not sure where the others are.

This is the second time I've had a water pump fail like this.

I think it's more prevalent with the pressed sheet type, my experience is that the "better" water pumps are the ones that have a cast impeller.

Not plastic. You hear me, Germany? Not plastic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I think it's more prevalent with the pressed sheet type, my experience is that the "better" water pumps are the ones that have a cast impeller.

Vaaaasss? Ze plastic verks gut within ze designed tolerances of 0.01mm!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

Vaaaasss? Ze plastic verks gut within ze designed tolerances of ze varranty period!
Let's just get that tweaked to be a bit more accurate, shall we?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

The cast ones are typically poo poo-tier aluminum or zinc castings and likely will suffer from corrosion and cavitation damage while the pressed steel ones generally survive that.

I'd bet on lack of cooling system maintenance causing acidified coolant that keeps eating up the impellers. I think you already found the impeller, actually, it (along with maybe 10 thou of the surface of the cooling passages in your engine block) is why your coolant was the color of terra cotta. :haw:

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Ok, now how can I fix it? I've looked into hot tanks and nobody around here does it.

And thank you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

The cast ones are typically poo poo-tier aluminum or zinc castings and likely will suffer from corrosion and cavitation damage while the pressed steel ones generally survive that.

I'd bet on lack of cooling system maintenance causing acidified coolant that keeps eating up the impellers. I think you already found the impeller, actually, it (along with maybe 10 thou of the surface of the cooling passages in your engine block) is why your coolant was the color of terra cotta. :haw:
You mean people should fit parts that aren't the cheapest ones they can find, and fill the cooling system with seawater and cat piss? :monocle:

You're right on the cavitation, even on well-serviced stuff with OEM parts, I've seen it getting a good start.

Horse Divorce posted:

Ok, now how can I fix it? I've looked into hot tanks and nobody around here does it.

And thank you.
Multiple flushings in both directions, along with running it with some kind of neutralising solution a little bit before draining and flushing again, has worked for me in the past.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Change your coolant regularly, at least every two years. If it's been a while, do a flush after clearing it out with, say, a garden hose; then, drain and refill, using distilled water to dilute the concentrated antifreeze.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Saga posted:

Shouldn't someone with an HGV licence always know the height of their load? Especially before driving under a very obvious brick railway bridge with the height printed on it in big numbers.

Goon truckers please weigh in (no pun intended).

Yes, we should know, but that doesn't include people being fuckups.

See:

Road crews that patch roads too thick and cause an oops.

Drivers being dumb

New York using a retarded, non standard way to measure poo poo.

Case in point:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6114018,-119.8507659,3a,75y,209.3h,78.33t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRIxDaPbru4femjLtPCerNA!2e0 I can't remember 100% if this is the case, but one of these is now a 13'11" overpass (in a 14' state) and will also be the main route to get to the new Amazon warehouse.

See anything missing in the picture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Horse Divorce posted:

And thank you.

Trade it in, buy something new and take care of it properly :)