Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kylver posted:

In case anyone was wondering.

What? So what happens when you try trading over a new megastone. We know the new legendaries are already in the game, as are Mega Lati@s, but none of the others are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kurieg posted:

What? So what happens when you try trading over a new megastone. We know the new legendaries are already in the game, as are Mega Lati@s, but none of the others are.

It'll likely block you entirely from trading them, like GSC did with RBGY.

The main question is whether this means they'll be blocked from fighting with XY, which would be kind of a big deal. Sometimes I have to seriously wonder what Gamefreak's thinking about, between the incredible awfulness of event-only Pokemon, constantly cutting features from sequels, and this...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blaze Dragon posted:

The main question is whether this means they'll be blocked from fighting with XY, which would be kind of a big deal. Sometimes I have to seriously wonder what Gamefreak's thinking about, between the incredible awfulness of event-only Pokemon, constantly cutting features from sequels, and this...

How did Gen 5 handle it? BW2 had forms you couldn't access on BW right?

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's a deliberate throwback to Gen 4 where you can't trade the Griseous Orb, nor the Rotom formes. :v:

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Electric Phantasm posted:

How did Gen 5 handle it? BW2 had forms you couldn't access on BW right?

The DNA Splicers were a key item so they couldn't be traded. Don't know about the forces of nature trio though

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Txn posted:

It's a deliberate throwback to Gen 4 where you can't trade the Griseous Orb, nor the Rotom formes. :v:

I don't wanna think about the fact that eventually there is going to be be demand for a Gen 4 remake.

I mean yeah making the Sinnoh experience a faster and more enjoyable one is something that would be nice but, it'd just be surreal as hell to me that we'd actually be moving onto remaking the DS era games.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You couldn't trade B/W Kyurem at all, it wasn't even given as an option because of the way that it stored the fused Zekrom/Reshiram in memory.
Therian forms also couldn't be traded, you couldn't offer them up until you reverted them.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I don't wanna think about the fact that eventually there is going to be be demand for a Gen 4 remake.

I mean yeah making the Sinnoh experience a faster and more enjoyable one is something that would be nice but, it'd just be surreal as hell to me that we'd actually be moving onto remaking the DS era games.

If they follow established precedent, they won't be doing any more remakes until the successor to the 3DS.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm happy to be wrong about Ice Body Glalie, Refrigerate is much, much better. Not happy about no clothing, it's a cop out, another adding and removal of features because GF is GF. Oh well, I probably won't miss it playing the game.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I remember someone once asked for my Yellow copy so he could trade RBY-exclusives to his Crystal copy.

When he returned it to me, he said he accidentally tried trading a Pokemon with a GSC-only move to RBY, and then I saw that my save file had been erased :sigh:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

He mostly likely nicked all your cool Pokemon, then "accidentally" wiped the save to cover his tracks. If you tried anything like that, the woman wouldn't even let you into the machine. There is a way around it via glitches, of course, by hiding new moves underneath glitched ones, but this is the first time I've heard it wipe saves and is something you have to know about to really pull off.

It's okay, I've had an older sister declare I'm too old for this game (at 12) and delete everything I had. Maybe one day I'll forgive her for such a thoughtless genocide.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Kurieg posted:

Blaze Dragon posted:

My bet is that there will be a patch either in the E-shop, or when X & Y try to interact with ORAS, the game itself will send the patch over. Nintendo/Gamefreak can be pretty stupid, but I highly doubt they'll be stupid enough to prevent the games from interacting with one another when they've already demonstrated the ability to patch in new data.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blaziken386 posted:

My bet is that there will be a patch either in the E-shop, or when X & Y try to interact with ORAS, the game itself will send the patch over. Nintendo/Gamefreak can be pretty stupid, but I highly doubt they'll be stupid enough to prevent the games from interacting with one another when they've already demonstrated the ability to patch in new data.

All of this discussion came out of a confirmation that this is not the case.

quote:

Edit @ 20:00: It has also been confirmed in an interview with NTower that, although X & Y are compatible with Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, X & Y will not receive a patch to include the new Mega Evolutions and Primal Reversions.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

quote:

Edit @ 20:00: It has also been confirmed in an interview with NTower that, although X & Y are compatible with Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, X & Y will not receive a patch to include the new Mega Evolutions and Primal Reversions.
Oh Gods, they really are that stupid. :negative:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I wish Gamestop/Nintendo would go back to the giveaways via wireless for Pokemon. I just stood behind 2 neckbeards talking to the only employee at Gamestop for 20 minutes about fake Wii games and return policies waiting for a shiny Gengar.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
We'll just have to buy Pokémon Z if we want to see Mega Altaria and Mega Steelix in Kalos

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I wish that they couldn't get away with not patching X and Y. But they can, and everyone will buy the new games for the new exclusive content that has no business being exclusive. gently caress, my money.

E: at least pokebank softens the blow a little.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Come on Gamefreak, you're so close, just give me my Mega Flygon and you can have all my money.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
Is there a place I can see what kinds of promotional things are going on? Like I guess this thing about gamestop people keep talking about

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

This is bullshit.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Stalgren posted:

Is there a place I can see what kinds of promotional things are going on? Like I guess this thing about gamestop people keep talking about

http://www.serebii.net/games/currentevents.shtml This seems to be a good reference.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember someone once asked for my Yellow copy so he could trade RBY-exclusives to his Crystal copy.

When he returned it to me, he said he accidentally tried trading a Pokemon with a GSC-only move to RBY, and then I saw that my save file had been erased :sigh:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I accidently saved over my sister's save of Final Fantasy 9 when she just hit the forth disc.

This was a week after I saved over her game of Harvest Moon on the GBC :(

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

I accidently saved over my sister's save of Final Fantasy 9 when she just hit the forth disc.

This was a week after I saved over her game of Harvest Moon on the GBC :(

How are you still alive?

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Looks like Gamestops are trying that preorder bullshit when giving out Gengar codes. I tried to go to the better Gamestop in my area that I got the heracross/pinsir stones from but they either couldn't find them or ran out. Went to the store that gave me poo poo last time to find they are still giving me that same pitch. I wrote to Nintendo and Gamestop about this. I really hope we stop these stupid distributions from this lovely store.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Crosspeice posted:

He mostly likely nicked all your cool Pokemon, then "accidentally" wiped the save to cover his tracks. If you tried anything like that, the woman wouldn't even let you into the machine. There is a way around it via glitches, of course, by hiding new moves underneath glitched ones, but this is the first time I've heard it wipe saves and is something you have to know about to really pull off.

It's okay, I've had an older sister declare I'm too old for this game (at 12) and delete everything I had. Maybe one day I'll forgive her for such a thoughtless genocide.

Ahahaha loving hell, really? I got suckered real good, then :argh:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
God dammit GF, how hard can it be to patch in the new megas?
I guess that also means that there won't be any balance fixes between the two games.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

horriblePencilist posted:

God dammit GF, how hard can it be to patch in the new megas?
I guess that also means that there won't be any balance fixes between the two games.
It's probably really easy, they just don't want to. It encourages (read: forces) people to buy the new games.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wait, how does that work?

Skymin worked with DPPt because the DP player saw Skymin as normal hedgehog Shaymin with a Grass/Flying type, Serene Grace, and Skymin's stats. There was no new held item, so the game was able to work just fine, albeit seeing normal hedgehog Shaymin outspeed a base 120 mon and slowly flinch you to death with STAB Air Slash is a rather odd experience.:v:

Giratina had a new, exclusive item, and thus couldn't be traded/battle with DP, which is essentially the same as the new mega stones. So how exactly will they be compatible?

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 15, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

fade5 posted:

Wait, how does that work?

Skymin worked with DPPt because the DP player saw Skymin as normal hedgehog Shaymin with a Grass/Flying type, Serene Grace, and Skymin's stats. There was no new held item, so the game was able to work just fine, albeit seeing normal hedgehog Shaymin outspeed a base 120 mon and slowly flinch you to death with STAB Air Slash is a rather odd experience.:v:

Giratina had a new, exclusive item, and thus couldn't be traded/battle with DP, which is essentially the same as the new mega stones. So how exactly will they be compatible?

Presumably the same way Skymin was - they will mega evolve on the ORAS end, but the XY player would see the old model with the new stats/ability. Things are fuzzier with the new moves/abilities, however.

Imagine the nerdrage if they release an X/Y patch to support those moves/abilities, but still leave out the megas. :allears:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zonekeeper posted:

Presumably the same way Skymin was - they will mega evolve on the ORAS end, but the XY player would see the old model with the new stats/ability. Things are fuzzier with the new moves/abilities, however.

Imagine the nerdrage if they release an X/Y patch to support those moves/abilities, but still leave out the megas. :allears:
What he's saying is that since the Mega Forms rely on the Mega stone item to evolve, like how Giratina needed its orb, they will likely not work.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Blaze Dragon posted:

Err..this says that they can interact with each other though? Like, you won't be able to trade any of the new mega stones or Cosplay Pikachu to X & Y, but otherwise the two games can trade and battle just fine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blaziken386 posted:

It's probably really easy, they just don't want to. It encourages (read: forces) people to buy the new games.

I dunno, new models are probably harder to patch in than you might think.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

What he's saying is that since the Mega Forms rely on the Mega stone item to evolve, like how Giratina needed its orb, they will likely not work.

Maybe there's a sanity check in the game's code that checks for unrecognized mega stones and displays a generic name in its place? (or that could be patched in with the new move info?) It's not like they can be interacted with in battle (with knock-off/thief) so they may as well show no item.

If it wasn't for the massive internet tournaments they've been running, I would agree that they would just disallow the new stuff in X/Y battles; since those exist, I highly doubt they will disallow the new megas in future tournaments, nor would they bar their X/Y install base from participating.

Besides, putting X/Y players at a competitive disadvantage in those tournaments in order to move more copies of ORAS is exactly the kind of poo poo they would pull.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

I dunno, new models are probably harder to patch in than you might think.

People stream Brawl mods from their SD cards which weigh very lightly from a data standpoint.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I dunno why this is odd to you, we won't even see those remakes until whatever handheld replaces the 3DS is released.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If you actually thought trainer customization, the france fashion gimmick, was coming back, I don't know what to tell you.

Also im pissed as hell I don't remember my login information for the dumb Pokemon account and I probably wouldnt get a demo code anyway

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You do realize that you can ask for both a password reset and for it to send you an email containing your login name? If you want into your account it's not too hard to do so. You could also just make a new one.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I never got an emailed code from the Pinsirite thing and I doubt I'll get one for the demo. Does anyone know if you can only get the demo stuff from playing the demo or if it will be in the regular game? Because if it's in the regular game I sort of don't care about the demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

You do realize that you can ask for both a password reset and for it to send you an email containing your login name? If you want into your account it's not too hard to do so. You could also just make a new one.

I thought it was a one time thing like the Smash Bros demo codes, where if you didn't already have the option clicked then you'd never get it.

• Locked thread