Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Y2J
Aug 18, 2000

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah

Y2J posted:

The "trade in any iphone for a free iphone 6" (with a new contract) doesn't work with SERO, right? That would be pretty sweet. I dont need a new sprint phone, but I'd love to trade in my 3GS for a new 6 to sell

Sprint let me do the SERO upgrade to an iPhone 6 with a 3GS trade in. It's on SAMart if anyone is interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
Hey guys. I just posted my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (black) for sale.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669688

SScreen is in perfect condition. Minor wear on two corners. Includes an awesome spigen case, a custom aluminum back plate, original plate, wall adapter, and third party microusb cable.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

Y2J posted:

Sprint let me do the SERO upgrade to an iPhone 6 with a 3GS trade in. It's on SAMart if anyone is interested

Did you do this through the website or phone number? In-store is still off limits for SERO, right?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Aphal posted:

Did you do this through the website or phone number? In-store is still off limits for SERO, right?
Corporate stores can still help you, probably. It's the third-party stores (Wal*Mart, "Sprint by Whatever Wireless") that can't touch SERO.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uapyro posted:

The Best Buy one would still valid though; I believe their terms say no cracked screens, and no water damage. YMMV but for the most part most people are told anything works, even if it has no value.

Found my Samsung Epic. Will attempt on Wednesday.
edit: While unrooting my Epic, I think the battery died for good. RIP. Still got the Moment though!

rock2much fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 7, 2014

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
What's up with this $50 iPhone plan I keep seeing? I pay $146 for two phones, I hate Iphones but it it saved me like $40-$50 I'd be all for it. What's the catch?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

BrownieVK posted:

What's up with this $50 iPhone plan I keep seeing? I pay $146 for two phones, I hate Iphones but it it saved me like $40-$50 I'd be all for it. What's the catch?

Its $50 for the monthly unlimited plan. You pay a lease for the phone; in the case of my 128 gig 6, I think its like $30 a month. The lease continues for 2 years, at the end of which you have the option to buy the lease out. Its essentially the reverse order of the traditional contract. This charge is per phone, so two phone plans are $160.

knucklehead
Apr 29, 2004

concentrated and crosseyed a dangerous combination

Medullah posted:

Would this work for SERO?

Any word on this? I don't want to lose by beloved SERO but I do want the Note 4 at the cheapest price possible.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

BrownieVK posted:

Well, you're paying a lease on the phones too. So two of 'em would be $50+$50+$20+$20 for the lowest tier iPhone. Which is $140. Plus taxes probably puts you at $146. So you're not saving anything and you're locking yourself into iOS forever.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

td4guy posted:

Well, you're paying a lease on the phones too. So two of 'em would be $50+$50+$20+$20 for the lowest tier iPhone. Which is $140. Plus taxes probably puts you at $146. So you're not saving anything and you're locking yourself into iOS forever.

That's what I figured. Well that's not a good deal at all for me then, just trying to trim some costs. Thanks guys!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

knucklehead posted:

Any word on this? I don't want to lose by beloved SERO but I do want the Note 4 at the cheapest price possible.
Nobody knows, nobody's done it yet. Try it and let us know how it goes!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Looks like we can get MMSs via Google Voice now. http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/10/google-voice-confirms-mms-support-for-nearly-a-hundred-carriers/

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Interesting. I'd used GV for years with my regular Sprint number, but finally ditched it several months back when I discovered that's why I was never able to send/receive emojis to iPhone people through any SMS app on my Android phone. Yeah, that's a pretty stupid, unimportant reason, but I text poop emojis a lot more than I get voicemails, so it was worth switching out and sticking with stock voicemail. I wonder if that will fix this issue now?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

iluvpr0n posted:

Interesting. I'd used GV for years with my regular Sprint number, but finally ditched it several months back when I discovered that's why I was never able to send/receive emojis to iPhone people through any SMS app on my Android phone. Yeah, that's a pretty stupid, unimportant reason, but I text poop emojis a lot more than I get voicemails, so it was worth switching out and sticking with stock voicemail. I wonder if that will fix this issue now?

You know you can use GV for voicemail without using it as your texting number, right?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
So no Xperia Z3 for Sprint. I wonder if we'll even get the Nexus 6? Sprint seems to miss most of the phones I want.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

nimper posted:

You know you can use GV for voicemail without using it as your texting number, right?

Yeah, but I had done the Sprint integration thing, which somehow interfered with it anyway... I just turned GV back on without doing that extra integration step, so I'll see how it works out now.

*edit*
Seems fine. Yay.

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 10, 2014

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rock2much posted:

Found my Samsung Epic. Will attempt on Wednesday.
edit: While unrooting my Epic, I think the battery died for good. RIP. Still got the Moment though!

Trip report: denied on both phones by BestBuy.
If the site doesn't say it has trade in value, they won't take it.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I got my HTCone when they first came out. I have the purple camera tint so bad my camera is basically unusable, and my phone drops data connection so I have to restart it and hope it reconnects properly. I'm tired of my phone not working right. Do I have any recourse other than buying a new phone? Any way I could get Sprint to replace my phone even though I've had it this long? Or maybe you guys know a way to fix the problems I'm having?

I'm thinking of switching to Vermont after my contract is up but I'm not sure how much of my annoyances come from Sprint or my phone.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

that one guy posted:

I got my HTCone when they first came out. I have the purple camera tint so bad my camera is basically unusable, and my phone drops data connection so I have to restart it and hope it reconnects properly. I'm tired of my phone not working right. Do I have any recourse other than buying a new phone? Any way I could get Sprint to replace my phone even though I've had it this long? Or maybe you guys know a way to fix the problems I'm having?

I'm thinking of switching to Vermont after my contract is up but I'm not sure how much of my annoyances come from Sprint or my phone.

Make sure to get the maple syrup plan, I hear it's the sweetest deal.

Y2J
Aug 18, 2000

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah

Aphal posted:

Late reply, I did it through the Sero phone number not the store. The Sprint store nearby told me they only sell activated phones; I needed one unactivated still in the packaging

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Have the Sprint variants of previous Galaxy Notes been well-supported by the community? I'm considering getting a Note 4 via the current promotion, I just am concerned about ending up with a device with nearly no support for it like the Sprint Galaxy Nexus I have now. Basically I'll want to root the stock firmware and run that until EOL on updates, and then go with a nice community firmware. That ended up eventually working out for me on my Sprint Galaxy Nexus but only just barely.

edit: Oh right, updates will have to come from Sprint, right? Has Sprint historically gotten all of the same updates as the other carriers' Notes or have they not released some before?

Also, has there been any information on whether Sprint will get the Nexus 6/Shamu? I've looked but haven't found anything definitive. Is it me or are half the phone news sites out there basically tabloids?

DanAdamKOF fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 14, 2014

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

DanAdamKOF posted:

Also, has there been any information on whether Sprint will get the Nexus 6/Shamu? I've looked but haven't found anything definitive. Is it me or are half the phone news sites out there basically tabloids?

The device hasn't been announced. Don't trust rumors ever. Remember, the new Moto X was definitely certainly 100% coming to Sprint until it didn't.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vykk.Draygo posted:

the new Moto X was definitely certainly 100% coming to Sprint until it didn't.

Yep. The Sprint variant even passed through FCC certification before it was canceled because lolsprint

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

LorneReams posted:

Make sure to get the maple syrup plan, I hear it's the sweetest deal.
:v: Nice.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

that one guy posted:

The purple tint on the phone is a known issue. They should replace it for you at a corporate service and repair store based on that unless it's physically damaged.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DanAdamKOF posted:

Have the Sprint variants of previous Galaxy Notes been well-supported by the community?

Meh. At least on the Note 2 the Sprint hardware is just different enough that most stuff has to be ported over, and they were just about last to get the last major update out. I mean it's certainly better than any HTC device ( Evo 3D :smith: ) but it's no iPhone or Nexus.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

so Sprint is doing a thing where current subscribers can lease an iPhone 6 for $5 a month after a $15 lease credit.

I'm on a EDP-1500 plan with 3 iPhones. I'm strongly considering doing this since it'll cost me about $120 for the duration of the 2 year lease. I've always hated selling my old phone to recoup my initial investment. (also Sprint phones has the worst resell value as well)

I'm about 17 months in our contract and I'm guessing I would have to wait until my 20 month upgrade to take advantage.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

DanAdamKOF posted:

Have the Sprint variants of previous Galaxy Notes been well-supported by the community? I'm considering getting a Note 4 via the current promotion, I just am concerned about ending up with a device with nearly no support for it like the Sprint Galaxy Nexus I have now. Basically I'll want to root the stock firmware and run that until EOL on updates, and then go with a nice community firmware. That ended up eventually working out for me on my Sprint Galaxy Nexus but only just barely.

edit: Oh right, updates will have to come from Sprint, right? Has Sprint historically gotten all of the same updates as the other carriers' Notes or have they not released some before?

You should be fine then. I have the Note 3 and haven't had any issues and Sprint has typically been the first to get the latest updates from Samsung. Rumor has it we should find out about the Nexus 6 today. If it's available for Sprint, I'll probably get it. If not, I'll probably get the Note 4 myself.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Thanks a lot for the input on the Note 4. Google's Nexus 6 site shows Sprint will have it: http://www.google.com/nexus/6/

I guess I have about a day to decide to just wait for the Nexus 6, or get a Note 4 with the current promotion and flip it right away when the Nexus 6 releases.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

DanAdamKOF posted:

Thanks a lot for the input on the Note 4. Google's Nexus 6 site shows Sprint will have it: http://www.google.com/nexus/6/

I guess I have about a day to decide to just wait for the Nexus 6, or get a Note 4 with the current promotion and flip it right away when the Nexus 6 releases.
If I wasn't on Easy Pay, I might try to do that but I'm sold on the Nexus 6 now. Stock Android, timely updates, and front facing speakers are too good to pass up.

SonnyTheGreat
Jan 19, 2007

DanAdamKOF posted:

Have the Sprint variants of previous Galaxy Notes been well-supported by the community?

My experience is with the Sprint Note 2, so YMMV, but while I would tentatively answer "yes", third-party development slowed a bit after the Note 3 release, and I haven't seen much in the way of more current updates over the past six months. I'm not sure if this is the case with newer Notes, but the Sprint N2 variant had it's own model number (l-900) so ports had to come from the international version and they were sort of hit and miss. I did have access to recent CM versions, but really any CM/AOSP-based ROM was a port from the international N2. Oh, and Sprint apparently isn't going to bother moving the N2 up from 4.4.2 (as far as I can tell), so keep that in mind as I only received two Android version updates during the >2 years I've had the phone (some 4.2 version -> 4.3 -> 4.4.2). These updates came at least six-nine months after Google dropped the new versions. Any ROM based on the OTA will be based on whatever version of Android Sprint decides to release, so when they stop, that's about it unless you're going with a CM or AOSP ROM. Oh, and with CM/AOSP ROMs, you will occasionally need to flash back to a TouchWiz ROM for Sprint Profile and PRL updates. I did dirty flashes from time to time, but honestly with how garbage Sprint's network is, and how inconsistent (quality-wise) and common (probably ~2/mth) their their Profile/PRL updates were, it was more hassle than it was worth using CM/AOSP. But again, depending on your threshold, YMMV. I will say that going the third-party route really won't get you a new version of Android that much faster, as you still have to wait on the modding community to update their ROMS, and then you'll likely have to wait for a port from the GSM/international Note.

For what it's worth I just recently upgraded from my 2-year Sprint contract w/ a N2 to a 2014 Moto X and Cricket Wireless, and the difference in both the actual use of my phone, and my network connectivity, has been night and day. Personally, I will never give Sprint another dollar as long as I live (as my experience was truly that bad - and I had been a Sprint customer since the late-90's).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

glassyalabolas posted:

so Sprint is doing a thing where current subscribers can lease an iPhone 6 for $5 a month after a $15 lease credit.

I'm on a EDP-1500 plan with 3 iPhones. I'm strongly considering doing this since it'll cost me about $120 for the duration of the 2 year lease. I've always hated selling my old phone to recoup my initial investment. (also Sprint phones has the worst resell value as well)

I'm about 17 months in our contract and I'm guessing I would have to wait until my 20 month upgrade to take advantage.

Mac OS 10.10 came out today and after seeing the iphone integration with it I really want an iphone 6+ now. Unless I can find some way to get my Moto X to work with the new OS.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

I said come in! posted:

Unless I can find some way to get my Moto X to work with the new OS.

There are plenty of ways. You can already do most of the integration stuff, just not as easily as Yosemite lets you.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
So currently have a Note 2, the Sharp Aquos Crystal looks really cool with the no bezel, but the mid-range specs and reports of some lag is really disappointing. Hopefully the nexus 6 will come under 399 with contract.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dundun posted:

So currently have a Note 2, the Sharp Aquos Crystal looks really cool with the no bezel, but the mid-range specs and reports of some lag is really disappointing. Hopefully the nexus 6 will come under 399 with contract.

I really like the edgeless design of this phone. It's something i've really wanted to see in a smartphone for a while now but didn't think was possible. I don't see a price anywhere, but the official website claims its a cheap phone.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

DanAdamKOF posted:

And now it doesn't show it...was really leaning heavily towards the Nexus 6. Maybe I'll just switch to tmo or something.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess my browser was being dumb. Still might switch to tmo though.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 17, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I ordered the Sharp Aquos Crystal just now. Its only $6.50 a month extra to my Sprint bill with Easy Pay. Upgrading from a 2013 Moto X.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I ordered the Sharp Aquos Crystal just now. Its only $6.50 a month extra to my Sprint bill with Easy Pay. Upgrading from a 2013 Moto X.

The status bar looks weird right at the top edge of the phone.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I said come in! posted:

Is that actually an upgrade? http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?p=4133,4557

Well, I guess it does support more LTE bands and has a microSD slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

td4guy posted:

Is that actually an upgrade? http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?p=4133,4557

Well, I guess it does support more LTE bands and has a microSD slot.

Ooh wow, there are some noticeable differences that I didn't realize. The bigger screen and MicroSD slot will be nice at least.