Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Tiffany-shaming aside, I enjoyed the appearance of Mr. HAIR and I hope he returns soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (July 26, 1927)

And here ya go.

Peanuts (October 17, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

"...but mostly it's about me. Because my name is on the cover."

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out OurBUTWHATABOUTTHECOWBOYS??!!! (November 9-10, 1925)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

God, that speech impediment. :suicide:

Plus, what's with the "eye thing" in the last panel? That's some David Bowie poo poo goin' down right there.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Well at least Boyce is off the Bully-App thing, so that's something.

Compu-Toon

See, he fluctuates. I don't know if that's a good sign, or not. This is sort of, almost coherent for Boyce, so that dose he just took must've kicked in.

Jane's World

Ok, I have no idea what the gently caress is going on here. Sedona is in Arizona, so what's the problem? If Paige mentioned where the hell they were going in the first place, I've long forgotten it.

Non Sequitur

Passive aggressiveness aside, I totally wish I had my own bar/bartender at my desk. I guess, if I wanted to, I do. I work out of the house, and the booze cabinet is just across the room. :v:

gently caress, Heavenly Nostrils is yesterday's... again.

Kliban's Cats

The notches out of his/her ears just make this picture. We have a neighborhood "itinerant" cat with one ear just like that. He's been in a few dust-ups I think.

9 Chickweed Lane 10/14/2003

Eh, not bad, Brooke.

Zits

Well, apparently he didn't put it on his dick like Say Nothing theorized. :v:

Kevin & Kell

Boyce crossover. Is this some sort of "anti-bullying" time of year or something? Plus, that Rhino has boobs, and that's just disconcerting.

That last line... could be construed a couple of different ways. :v:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-Sac The kids twig onto Timmy Fretwork's game.

Poptropica seems blase about this whole thing as well.

Heathcliff

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

Ok, I have no idea what the gently caress is going on here. Sedona is in Arizona, so what's the problem? If Paige mentioned where the hell they were going in the first place, I've long forgotten it.
I think they were going to Palm Springs, CA.

Or at least, I have vague memories of one of them saying "Palm Springs, here we come!" a few strips back, which I'm not going to go back and look for in case I turn out to be right, because I don't want to think of myself as the kind of person who can remember a line from a Jane's World panel days after it was posted here. I probably am that kind of person, though. :(

In my defense, at least I don't have any loving idea what is going on with any part of the hostage storyline, up to and including the names of any of the people involved. Anyone who can unravel that can claim this shame-crown of mine and wear it...proudly?...that doesn't seem like the right word, but whatever.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Is he going to throw the Book at'em?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

How is panel 3 scary?

I believe the idea is that Dethany does so much work for the company that her leaving would basically gently caress everyone else.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kennel posted:

No great Fingerpori strips lately, but here's few I found relatively amusing:

You left out the best one but it needs to be posted together with the same day's Kamala Luonto to work and Hesari doesn't have KL in their online edition :sigh:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set works on their people skills.

Working Daze has weird walking poses again.

God, Zakour needs to learn when to stop telling a joke.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I am more invested in a stereotype from a hundred-year-old comic strip that commonly used blackface than anything modern being posted in this thread.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Trilobite posted:

I think they were going to Palm Springs, CA.

Or at least, I have vague memories of one of them saying "Palm Springs, here we come!" a few strips back, which I'm not going to go back and look for in case I turn out to be right, because I don't want to think of myself as the kind of person who can remember a line from a Jane's World panel days after it was posted here. I probably am that kind of person, though. :(

In my defense, at least I don't have any loving idea what is going on with any part of the hostage storyline, up to and including the names of any of the people involved. Anyone who can unravel that can claim this shame-crown of mine and wear it...proudly?...that doesn't seem like the right word, but whatever.

Without actually bothering to go back to look it up, Palm Springs has got to be right. But only because it'd be unreasonable to drive to Alice Springs.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I completely forgot there was a kidnapping storyline, all I remembered was the drag bus and the monster truck sabotage. There's probably a fourth plotline that I don't even remember forgetting.

Feh. Give me Dog Comix any day.

Pooch Café

The Magreaux dog's leash is following its own rules.

Ballard Street

Bob is the dog's name. That's just his stagehand getting things ready for him.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County appreciates culture.

Calvin And Hobbes escalates Calvin's threat level.

Ripley's

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

The way this child/imp of Satan talks makes me stabby.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ms Boods posted:

What makes me enjoy terrible comics more is, to have to use a loving decipher on them.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

What makes me enjoy terrible comics more is, to have to use a loving decipher on them.

To be fair, at least for me, the cowboys in Out Our Way are way more difficult for me to sound out in my head when I read them. Still, I understand little kids talk funny (my 22yo used to say airphlegm for airplane which I though was hilarious), but it seems like they just take it too far in Rose is Rose.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ms Boods posted:

Welcome to Rose is Rose. It's easily in my top three of most-hated strips*, because on top of the stupid baby talk, and the sudden Jojo's Bizarre Adventure mom and all that poo poo, it just literally has nothing to say about anything.

*in this thread.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

EasyEW posted:

Out OurBUTWHATABOUTTHECOWBOYS??!!! (November 9-10, 1925)

goddammit why do all good gag-a-day webcomics decide they have to become dramas eventually

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I have no issues deciphering the baby talk, but it's loving obnoxious. Something about Rose is Rose really rubs me the wrong way, and I think the baby talk is symptomatic of it. Maybe how twee the whole thing is?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Goddamn, Levon Helm was cool. Sad that he's gone.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones Looks at Soccer (MAD #365, January 1998)

Let's be real, Sergio. As Ferguson proved, no cop will ever get dismissed for beating up a guy.

The Lighter Side of... (MAD #365, January 1998)

Don Martin Dept. (MAD #154, October 1972)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Mister Beeg posted:

Don Martin Dept. (MAD #154, October 1972)

Don Martin onomatopoeia seriously cracks me up.

Somehow, I am going to make "Ploip" part of my conversational vocabulary.

:v:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

SomeMathGuy posted:

I have no issues deciphering the baby talk, but it's loving obnoxious. Something about Rose is Rose really rubs me the wrong way, and I think the baby talk is symptomatic of it. Maybe how twee the whole thing is?

Pretty much this. Everything is so sugary cute and happy and the most HARDCORE thing in the WORLD is to eat a jalapeno. It's like if the Holbrook strip protagonists had even less of a threat of something bad happening to them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

How is panel 3 scary?

Her job is hell and, weird as Dethany is, she's one of the few competent people there, and possibly the only one who isn't also a really unpleasant person in some manner.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Good Listener posted:

Pretty much this. Everything is so sugary cute and happy and the most HARDCORE thing in the WORLD is to eat a jalapeno. It's like if the Holbrook strip protagonists had even less of a threat of something bad happening to them.

Yeah there are basically no jokes, like less than Funky Winkerbean even so it ends up just being saccharine.

Kittens are nice! I like Yoga! Candy cane! Beach ball!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

SomeMathGuy posted:

That's part of the problem: it isn't baby talk. Baby talk would be simplified vocab and adorable mispronunciations. This is just adult talk transcribed to use way more letters than the original. It's like the baby is a 35-year old using anti-phonetic spelling.

I hate it a lot.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TofuDiva posted:

That's part of the problem: it isn't baby talk. Baby talk would be simplified vocab and adorable mispronunciations. This is just adult talk transcribed to use way more letters than the original. It's like the baby is a 35-year old using anti-phonetic spelling.

I hate it a lot.

Eye dialect is just the dumbest thing.

quote:

The term was coined by George P. Krapp to refer to the literary technique of using nonstandard spelling that implies a pronunciation of the given word that is actually standard, such as wimmin for women; the spelling indicates that the character's speech overall is dialectal, foreign, or uneducated.[1][2] This form of nonstandard spelling differs from others in that a difference in spelling does not indicate a difference in pronunciation of a word. That is, it is dialect to the eye rather than to the ear.[3] It suggests that a character "would use a vulgar pronunciation if there were one" and "is at the level of ignorance where one misspells in this fashion, hence mispronounces as well."[4]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I can only interpret it as a speech impediment.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

I knew it!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo, in which the cowbirds meet the man from the head office. (October 15-16, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (July 23-25, 1951)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Wow, Mendell Peas. Creative.

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe I'm parsing this picture wrong, but are they both naked?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

As someone who hauls 70 lb things around all day

So, fingerprints on the ladder? Gunpowder residue on the corpse's hand? Left-handed pliers? Eh.

Nope, when the getaway driver heard the gunshot, he booked for the border, never to be seen again.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Also, since when is 50 pounds too heavy to handle?

e: Oh, you covered that. Still though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well if it was 50 pounds and fragile you should get another guy or two for stability but no one ever does that, which leads to fragile poo poo exploding into tiny tiny pieces after short falls.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Say Nothing posted:

Maybe I'm parsing this picture wrong, but are they both naked?

It looks like they're wearing something on their heads like a nightcap. Since the covers come up to their necks, you can't see what they're wearing.

Alternate pervy answer:

:quagmire:
I hope so.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

"Grandpa, what's Wite-Out?"

(Of course, I know no kid would ever actually be reading Nancy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Holy poo poo.

I mean, if she said it with a playful smile, we could interpret it as a joke. That she says it with cold dead-eyed hatred just tells us she means it. She means every word.

Luann

You're talking to people at a party where I also happened to be present!! :tizzy:

Apartment 3-G

Your mother has a mental illness! :D

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Newspaper Spider-Man is a lying snake in the grass. :colbert:

• Locked thread