Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I have no problem with the Med. Portraits and, hell, even like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I've only just got CK2, so I'll probably hold off on getting Charlemagne for a while (plus money).

What does the new patch do? And does it break my previous saves? I kind of want to actually finish a Norse game I've got going so I can say I've at least played a game of CK2 to the end.

Also in my Norse game a family of Shia Andalusians have formed the Hispanian Empire and are currently Jihading their way into Europe. They've already taken over Aquitaine and the Crusades to dislodge them failed. Its pretty great, please tell me this kind of weirdness is common because goddamn do I love this game.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Another Person posted:

I played for a while as Charlamagne and when I got to declaring on Lombardy I took a bonk on the head and ended up incapacitated. Karl The Great (Cripple), a story paved over by history and turned into a conspiracy.

This reminds me of my current Dyre the Stranger --> Norse Russian Empire game. So my mother, the Empress, was murdered, leaving me, a Quick Strong (!) 3-year-old on the throne. After a long-rear end regency, I managed to snag a Brilliant Strategist education, got married to a Genius upon coming of age, did the usual pilrimage-tournament-runestone rounds, and then not an in-game month later was rendered Incapable after a horseback riding accident with my wife.* Now I'm 40 years old, childless, and somehow still not dead, and I've spent the last 24 years comatose while a rotation of regents cycle in and out and help themselves to my money and titles.

Someone please pull my feeding tube or something.

*not sure if this is an HIP addition or not

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

I also don't really have a problem with the med faces, to be honest. I don't really particularly like them, but anything is a step up from everything being the generic Euro face. This is coming from someone who has played 500 hours of CK2, the majority of that time being before any of the face packs got released. I don't care if it isn't the best thing ever, anything is better than the pale white western European bleh for me at this point

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm playing as Charlemagne. I declared war on Bavaria on day 1 to put a Karling on the throne and called Carloman into the war. On day 2 I got a railroad popup saying we're bitter rivals with -100 relations. Carloman accepted my call a few days later and is kicking Bavaria's rear end with me.

Yeah, you can pretty easily override the story. I married Desiderius' daughter and divorced her shortly thereafter after calling him into Hunoald's rebellion and he stuck it out for like 2 years even though I had just taken a poo poo all over his family honor.

Also, true to history, Widukind ends up in your court after his rebellion and you can force him to convert and fight for you, which is pretty badass

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Disabling the Early Eastern Clothing DLC makes everyone with a Mediterranean portrait invisible. Their clothes are still there, just their faces are gone.

paranoid randroid posted:

There is something wrong with you.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013
I wanted to try out the Viceroy system and used the "techpoints" command a few times as the Emperor of the HRE.
The option never turned up, even after getting the necessary law.

Are they currently bugged or did the cheat hosed something up?

Caik fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 15, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Just wait for the Mediterranean portrait fix mod to update and you'll be good as gold.

It's already been updated you dumb babies. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?690991-MOD-Portrait-Realignment-Pack

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
The only problem with the Mediterranean pack is that it makes older characters look like they're going moldy.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Caik posted:

I wanted to try out the Viceroy system and used the "techpoints" command a few times.
The option never turned up, even after getting the necessary law.

Are they currently bugged or did the cheat hosed something up?

You have to pass one of the laws too.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

SkySteak posted:

The only problem with the Mediterranean pack is that it makes older characters look like they're going moldy.

And it makes everyone look like Muppets.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Really liking the new pagan counselor actions.
Not so liking the Linux version CTDing so much. I guess I need to fire up the jet engine...

Caik
Oct 3, 2013

Zeron posted:

You have to pass one of the laws too.

Yeah, I did that. According to the Law Panel I had Viceroyalty: Duchies.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

McGavin posted:

not seein the problem

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

McGavin posted:

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a currently working way in which I can have my dynasty to enable female inheritance without years of political wheeling and dealing?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So how is the chronicle on a scale of great to awesome? I have never written a lick of fan fiction in my life but I have totally written thousands of words for private LPs and timelines about my dynasties. Something like the chronicle sounds amazing to me, but I am sure it is nothing but a disappointment so soon after the expansion launch.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

e: Sorry, this ended up being really long.

Decided to spend a few minutes picking up the Little Brother achievement, turned out to be pretty easy. Very shortly after the game started, Karl declared war on Bavaria to press a claim. I accepted the call to arms because I didn't want to lose 25 prestige, but I really should have ignored it. He lost the first few battles, which caused a big chunk of West Francia to declare an independence revolt, further weakening him.

I spent the first few years making my vassals like me, especially the couple of giant vassal dukes. They all had factions going, but never triggered them. I was kind of hoping actually that the feudal elective one would fire, because a free shift out of gavelkind would have been really nice.

Eventually the war with Bavaria ended (it had been at -30%, and then after Lombardy joined in to smash the Bavarian army, Karl ignored it to focus on the rebels, who were at -60%). Unfortunately, the rebellion ended in a white peace a few weeks before the war with Bavaria ended, giving Karl the +25 relations boost with all his vassals for crushing a rebellion. That gave him about 2k soldiers, while I had almost 3.5k after getting lucky with the chancellor events.

I got lucky as hell on the first combat roll, and completely crushed his army, gaining something like 60% war score from that one battle. Plus, I captured most of his commanders, all of whom were landed, giving me a giant stack of ducats in ransoms. A few more battles and a single siege was all it took to finish taking over West Francia.

And then the fun started. He's of course now a mega monster duke, and because he was conveniently plotting to kill me, I tried to imprison him. 8% chance of a successful imprisonment, so an immediate civil war starts. A few days later, the Umayyad's come knocking.

This ended up actually being the best thing that could happen to me, because that +75 relations bonus for every single vassal gave me several thousand extra troops. The Umayyad's only wanted Barcelona, so I completely ignored them while I was trying to deal with the revolt, because Karl had called in Bavaria to his revolt. I couldn't get a good fight out of Karl, and even occupying his capital didn't help much with war score. In the meantime, there are 8k Umayyad soldiers busy sieging down the south of France.

I was hoping to hold on long enough to get enough Piety to create Francia before having to surrender to the Umayyad's, and then the Pope decided to give me 200 ducats, and Lombardy joined in my defense. War score was at -100%, but thanks to the change in Charlemagne, I could ignore his demands because there hadn't been a single battle yet, and it had only been 2 years 10 months of war.

So, I re-raise all my new vassal levies (a fantastic change btw), and start sending everyone south. I have 6600 men, he has 6400. I'm sitting at -100% war score, with less than a month before the war has gone on long enough for him to win by default. The Duke of Upper Burgundy is leading one flank, a noble who distinguished himself in a previous battle is leading the other flank, and Ogier the Dane is leading the center with the Heavy Infantry.

The Battle of Toulouse starts, and both sides are evenly matched. The Franks have more heavy infantry, but the Saracens have more cavalry. My right flank starts faltering, so Ogier leads a charge through the middle, completely routing the center of their forces. The Duke of Upper Burgundy holds the left, and together the two of them save the day. War score ticks to -98% from that battle, giving me a tiny amount of breathing room.

I had my morale depleted army pursue them south and east through Narbonne, and win again, capturing almost 400 ducats worth of prisoners. Eventually they are destroyed entirely, and war score is at a manageable -90%. -65% of that is them owning the war goal, so I immediately start sieging. It got back up to -92% before the siege ended, and then the King of Leon declared on the Umayyad Sultanate.

That gave me the breathing room to finish re-taking all of my holdings, and then I sieged down Barcelona for a little bit of cash and some extra war score. The Umayyad's tried white peacing at this point (which if they had done way back early on I would have probably accepted), but I needed Piety to form the Empire of Francia, so I ignored it.

It all wrapped up in a fairly anti-climatic manner, I got almost 600 ducats and a fat stack of Piety when he surrendered, letting me immediately from the Empire of Francia. I wish I had been able to swap out of Gavelkind before creating it, but the rebellion of Karlman was still ongoing, and I wanted to just get the achievement done.

All in all pretty fun, and easy enough. Retinue changes were pretty massive, I hadn't realized just how much of a hit they took. It was costing me 4 ducats a month purely in upkeep for 400 cultural HIs, and I'm not sure they were actually worth it. I'll have to look into what the actual changes were later.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just got home and checked and no, it is not. The most recent version available is all the way back at 2.0.4. :sigh:

Guess I'll be waiting a month or two to play the game again. Thanks, Paradox!

WTF Paradox :argh: The way they are with releasing broken patches/expansions should mandate that they have the "beta patch" or whatever from pre-patch/expansion. I want to keep playing and finish a game I had going but noooo now I simply cant play the game because its broken.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Charlemagne is now Charleméchant, thanks to three failed holy wars against the Saxons, a new-found love of greed and food, and the recent murder of his brother Carloman for the throne of Middle Francia.

Crazy bastard just couldn't help himself. At least he'll be dead in a few years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Innerguard posted:

Anyone know of a currently working way in which I can have my dynasty to enable female inheritance without years of political wheeling and dealing?

If you're willing to resort to outright cheating you can probably just edit the save file, but it's not foolproof. I save-edited in papal investiture once but apparently didn't do it right or completely, because while I did indeed have papal investiture the change went unrecognized behind the scenes; anytime I wanted something from the pope he would continue to be all "gently caress you, you have free investiture".

Bort Bortles posted:

WTF Paradox :argh: The way they are with releasing broken patches/expansions should mandate that they have the "beta patch" or whatever from pre-patch/expansion. I want to keep playing and finish a game I had going but noooo now I simply cant play the game because its broken.

I really have trouble with the arrogance that provokes a company to tell its paying customers, "gently caress you, no you can't roll back to the working version you had yesterday, you will take this broken piece of poo poo and like it and we'll fix it when we get around to it."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

McGavin posted:

There is something wrong with you.

Yes, my taste is too good and sometimes it is a problem.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I really have trouble with the arrogance that provokes a company to tell its paying customers, "gently caress you, no you can't roll back to the working version you had yesterday, you will take this broken piece of poo poo and like it and we'll fix it when we get around to it."

That's... an extremely, utterly, kinda crazy uncharitable view of it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gorelab posted:

That's... an extremely, utterly, kinda crazy uncharitable view of it.

Maybe. But there's some fairly important stuff that's broken in this patch, and while it would be fine if we were offered this patch to play, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that we're forced to. That plus the fact we can't finish our current games unless we were willing to take Steam offline last night and leave it offline until we're done.

But I guess if we want to be charitable to Paradox we can say they gave us fair warning of how much time we'd have to finish our current game. I guess I just have this old-fashioned idea that when I buy a game I ought to be able to play it however I want to :corsair:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 15, 2014

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maybe. But there's some fairly important stuff that's broken in this patch, and while it would be fine if we were offered this patch to play, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that we're forced to. That plus the fact we can't finish our current games unless we were willing to take Steam offline last night and leave it offline until we're done.

I've been playing an old save all day with no problems. Are you sure you're not overreacting?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Oh no worries, I'm quite sure I'm overreacting, it just bugs me. I'll leave off the :rant: from here on, pinky promise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Eric the Mauve posted:

But I guess if we want to be charitable to Paradox we can say they gave us fair warning of how much time we'd have to finish our current game. I guess I just have this old-fashioned idea that when I buy a game I ought to be able to play it however I want to :corsair:

Well this only works if you assume they are doing this on purpose.

When its more likely they didn't know these things existed because that is how they roll sometimes.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Partial blame should go to the Paradox forum posters who complain about how easy the game is and that they should force users to stay in gavelkind and nerf levies, even though there's nothing keeping them from staying in gavelkind and not raising levies.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm so far over the vassal limit from inheriting Middle Francia that I can only call 20% of my vassal armies to war at no centralization. :confused:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Partial blame should go to the Paradox forum posters who complain about how easy the game is and that they should force users to stay in gavelkind and nerf levies, even though there's nothing keeping them from staying in gavelkind and not raising levies.

I'm not as worried about this. I imagine if it turns out Paradox overdid the "Crusader Kings 2: Hardmode" theme (I don't think they did, but we'll see) then before long there will be mods to revert some gameplay features to pre-Charlemagne ways.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I really like elective gavelkind by the by. It works a lot better at creating semi-sane situations with it rather than just having a bunch of super strong vassals.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
The Tribals add a whole new level to the game. Here's some things I learned:

• Elective Gavelkind isn't too bad. You'll lose some titles with every ruler death, but it splits titles a lot better than regular Gavelkind.
  • Marshals, Stewarts, and Priests have new missions that will randomly spawn event troops for you. However, you have to use these troops within a year for raiding, going to war, or having a holy war (respectively). If you don't, they disband and you lose a bunch of Prestige or Piety. Disband them manually before the deadline to avoid the penalty.
  • Upgrading tribal holdings with Prestige is a pretty cool mechanic, but it doesn't look like it carries over once you create a Barony/City.
  • When you hit the "Adopt Feudalism" button, all of your tribal holdings with fully upgraded forts become castles. You can take the decision multiple times, but if you become feudal with holdings that don't have a fully upgraded fort, you'll get a "wrong holding type" penalty.

Also, this is the best feature in the patch:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gorelab posted:

I really like elective gavelkind by the by. It works a lot better at creating semi-sane situations with it rather than just having a bunch of super strong vassals.

How does it work? I just tried out Charlemagne and went around declaring war on everyone and executing anyone who opposed me until all my dukes rose up against me and the Saxons had a 12,000 man rebellion.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Romuva has two of it's holy sites (two of the three that are normally in dejure Lithuania) unspawned at game start on the Charlemagne bookmark.. :downsbravo:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Basically if it'll make things more even it'll automatically create titles for the other sons and it can make them independent so you tend to get multiple somewhat even states more often.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Any reports on how the changes to Feudal Elective are working out, or the retinue nerfs?

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
So I have spent the last couple of months modding someone else's mod, and sadly with the 2.2 patch the mod no longer runs. The person who made the mod is a goon and I've contacted him on the Paradox forums, but is there a chance someone who knows modding can figure out what needs to be changed so the mod can be made to work with 2.2?

It's the Sengoku mod by Kindjal located here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?658595-Sengoku-There-s-too-many-warring-states-in-Japan!

I'm not sure what my other options are other than to download the 2.04 beta version and the old 2.04 version of the mod and hope that works.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My one question though is; as pagans are you basically supposed to make the moddable kingdoms rather than the normal ones?

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

There was an option to stay on the old version this morning because I did it myself to continue my ironman game, but I started Steam again just now and another update installed itself which has removed it :downs:

e: According to the Paradox forums there was some problem with it but they are going to include 2.1.6 in the beta versions thing.

MOLLUSC fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Ireland is the worst in the 769 start. You're a tribal christian, which basically means that you're poor as hell and have no CBs at all. Every county has a whopping 15 gold for you to tax, and it's a pain upgrading every tribal holding into a feudal one with no source of income.

• Locked thread