Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
beep boop what is this "empathy" of which you speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

If you're actually feeling rage building up over a fictional event then you really need to go talk to someone.

I've played video games with fuckup characters in them and have found myself going 'Goddammit [name]' when they mess things up YET AGAIN. For example: Ben of the Walking Dead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So you've never read a book where a character did something so bad you were genuinely pissed?

You've never been upset over a character dying in a TV show?

Or been happy when a character in a movie accomplishes their goal?

Man, I feel really bad for you.

Genuinely pissed? As in, feeling exactly the same as if that had happened in real life? No, I've never felt that way while reading a fictional book.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Genuinely pissed? As in, feeling exactly the same as if that had happened in real life? No, I've never felt that way while reading a fictional book.

Beep boop all feelings must meet predesignated levels

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

What is your favorite fictional book?

I like Jacob's Shadow, although The Necronomicon comes pretty close.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Gotta be "History of the Land Called Uqbar" by Silas Haslem.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Drago didn't eat Fassad and that is an incredible disappointment. However, it seems we're finally gonna see Lucas actually fight, which it's about time. Smash Bros. tells me he's the important one here.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

If you're actually feeling rage building up over a fictional event then you really need to go talk to someone.

*BEEP BOOP WHAT IS THE POINT OF ART OR LITERATURE OR MUSIC*

No seriously man, the entire point of any work of fiction or art is to make you feel a thing.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Fister Roboto posted:

Do you remember where you were when you lost your soul? Maybe you should check the lost and found there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

*BEEP BOOP WHAT IS THE POINT OF ART OR LITERATURE OR MUSIC*

No seriously man, the entire point of any work of fiction or art is to make you feel a thing.

I agree, but I also think that it's weird to get genuinely, literally angry at people who don't exist. Now can we please stop with the ridiculous hyperbole?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Fister Roboto posted:

I agree, but I also think that it's weird to get genuinely, literally angry at people who don't exist. Now can we please stop with the ridiculous hyperbole?

People are making fun of you on Something Awful, get over it and stop responding if you don't want people to keep talking about it.

I'd never seen the mayor's dialogue about wanting to talk to Fassad about money before. Unfortunately I can't say much more until the next update. But boy, we're about to get into it now. From this point on, I'd really recommend people who have been skipping over the town dialogue to start reading it in future updates. The things the townsfolk have to say regarding the things that are happening to the village really help to convey one of the themes of the game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the ending of the Salsa sequence. It feels a lot like the ending of a kids' show. The friendly Drago showed up and roared, and all the bad men ran away.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I like to think that it's the same baby Drago, and since the robo-Drago was the Momma Drago the big Drago that kicks Fassad's rear end is the Drago Family's Daddy Drago.

Drago.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

JT Jag posted:

I like to think that it's the same baby Drago, and since the robo-Drago was the Momma Drago the big Drago that kicks Fassad's rear end is the Drago Family's Daddy Drago.

Drago.

I'm almost certain that's the implication, but I can't say for sure.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

JT Jag posted:

Drago.

You thought Flint had it bad but he didn't have to see Hinawa come back as a crazed half robot killing machine.... Poor Drago family.

But at least now they're working together to save those they still have.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

evilspacehopper posted:

You thought Flint had it bad but he didn't have to see Hinawa come back as a crazed half robot killing machine.... Poor Drago family.

But at least now they're working together to save those they still have.

And it basically the first major victory for the good guys. Fassad will not get the princess or the monkey. And it looks like the egg is out of his reach as well.

There is hope in what has been a pretty bleak story so far.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Salsa's girlfriend's not going to fare well over that. ):

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Glazius posted:

I like the ending of the Salsa sequence. It feels a lot like the ending of a kids' show. The friendly Drago showed up and roared, and all the bad men ran away.

Well the Drago also tail whipped several dudes, threw one away by his *head*, and shoulder checked Fassad a pretty hefty distance.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey did anyone post "beep boop" in responding to this post? Because I'm going to post "beep boop" so as to highlight the absurdity over not showing emotions. I certainly hope nobody else has beaten me to using "beep boop."

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

Hey did anyone post "beep boop" in responding to this post? Because I'm going to post "beep boop" so as to highlight the absurdity over not showing emotions. I certainly hope nobody else has beaten me to using "beep boop."

No I think you are the first one. Good job man, that is a pretty snazzy rebuttal.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."

evilspacehopper posted:

Hinawa come back as a crazed half robot killing machine....

Man, what a completely different game this would have been... :allears:

And after they inevitably save her from the brain-washing, she's just Robo-Mom, which is like Robo-Cop, but way cheesier and she makes snacks even when you didn't know you were hungry, but now that she's made them for you, you're totally starving.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

DjinnAndTonic posted:

Man, what a completely different game this would have been... :allears:

And after they inevitably save her from the brain-washing, she's just Robo-Mom, which is like Robo-Cop, but way cheesier and she makes snacks even when you didn't know you were hungry, but now that she's made them for you, you're totally starving.
YOUR BIOMETRICS DICTATE THAT YOUR HUNGER LEVELS SHOULD PEAK AT APPROXIMATELY THIS POINT IN THE DAY, LUCAS. HERE. HAVE SOME DELICIOUS Omelets. YOU ARE WELCOME. MOTHER LOVES YOU.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mega64 posted:

...Welp.

Me, when I reached this point in the game posted:

STOP SHOCKING ME YOU loving rear end in a top hat! :argh:

Seriously, Fassad is one of the most loathsome characters I've ever seen in any work of fiction.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

He gets worse. Oh boy does he get worse.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Uhh..:smith:.
Yeah.

Worse.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think the worst part of him isn't that he is just a bad dude. He is knowingly being a bad dude with no remorse. He knows what the happy boxes will do to the town, he does other bad things later, how he can't even give the slightest of shits about Salsa, everything just screams bad dude. It isn't even doing a bad thing because you think it is good and are just incorrect. He is just bad.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think the worst part of him isn't that he is just a bad dude. He is knowingly being a bad dude with no remorse. He knows what the happy boxes will do to the town, he does other bad things later, how he can't even give the slightest of shits about Salsa, everything just screams bad dude. It isn't even doing a bad thing because you think it is good and are just incorrect. He is just bad.

I dunno, the part with Hinawa got pretty dark, but Fassad just seems to be a Saturday morning cartoon villain. He even has his cartoonish "nweeehehe" laugh. The shock collar stuff is basically Looney-Toons-style physical slapstick, like Daffy Duck getting shot in the face with a shotgun. So saying that Fassad is bad with no remorse is like saying Skeletor has no compassion for He-Man.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Schwartzcough posted:

I dunno, the part with Hinawa got pretty dark, but Fassad just seems to be a Saturday morning cartoon villain. He even has his cartoonish "nweeehehe" laugh. The shock collar stuff is basically Looney-Toons-style physical slapstick, like Daffy Duck getting shot in the face with a shotgun. So saying that Fassad is bad with no remorse is like saying Skeletor has no compassion for He-Man.

Guy is nowhere near as cool as skeletor though.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
He's a cartoon villain but he's also not outside of the realm of reality. There are people just like Fassad all over the world, in positions of power. Even in your very own town! Fassad is terrifying and elicits so much frustration and anger in part because he's so familiar. Everyone has seen reflections of Fassad's character in people they meet in their own lives.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS

W.T. Fits posted:

Seriously, Fassad is one of the most loathsome characters I've ever seen in any work of fiction.

He's so loving hateable. When the Drago turned its attention to him I felt such vindication.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Schwartzcough posted:

The shock collar stuff is basically Looney-Toons-style physical slapstick, like Daffy Duck getting shot in the face with a shotgun.

The key difference you're missing here is that Daffy gets shot in the face as a consequence of his own actions. Salsa gets shocked repeatedly for no reason other than Fassad's own sick amusement.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

W.T. Fits posted:

The key difference you're missing here is that Daffy gets shot in the face as a consequence of his own actions. Salsa gets shocked repeatedly for no reason other than Fassad's own sick amusement.

I feel like it's more Tom and Jerry, except that Tom is winning right now.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Fister Roboto posted:

I think it's a little weird if you're getting mad at a fictional character.

Fister Roboto posted:

You must have had a field day with some of the recent Game of Thrones episodes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Raitzeno posted:

I feel like it's more Tom and Jerry, except that Tom is winning right now.
Don't sympathize with Jerry. He's the dominant figure in a violent co-dependent relationship. Jerry's a dick. Tom only does the things that comes natural to him. Chasing Jerry is an instinct. But Jerry is a sociopath. He can escape Tom's clutches with ease, any time he wants, because he's smarter than Tom, but instead he decides to mess with Jerry. Hurt him, punish him for even trying. And the screwed up part is Tom keeps coming back. He needs the pain. He wants it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

JT Jag posted:

Don't sympathize with Jerry. He's the dominant figure in a violent co-dependent relationship. Jerry's a dick. Tom only does the things that comes natural to him. Chasing Jerry is an instinct. But Jerry is a sociopath. He can escape Tom's clutches with ease, any time he wants, because he's smarter than Tom, but instead he decides to mess with Jerry. Hurt him, punish him for even trying. And the screwed up part is Tom keeps coming back. He needs the pain. He wants it.

There was one cartoon where it was just Jerry and the baby mouse loving with Tom while he was sleeping. Tom had literally done nothing to antagonize them. They loving tried to SHOOT HIM. Tom won out in the end, though.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah like Tom was just being a cool cat throughout the series and this mouse that kept stealing food and breaking poo poo and loving with the house and getting Tom blamed was the "good guy"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

JT Jag posted:

It's called interdependency.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Under the vegetable posted:

He's a cartoon villain but he's also not outside of the realm of reality. There are people just like Fassad all over the world, in positions of power. Even in your very own town! Fassad is terrifying and elicits so much frustration and anger in part because he's so familiar. Everyone has seen reflections of Fassad's character in people they meet in their own lives.

Yeah exactly. Part of this is that he's so obsequious with the villagers but such a bully with Salsa. It's like he knows how to get along in a socially acceptable way but really he's just being however lovely he thinks can get away with; the moment he's with someone weak enough to prey on he turns vile. That is a little more realistic and nuanced than Skeletor I think.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

W.T. Fits posted:

He will NEVER get better. EVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Xander77 posted:

It's called interdependency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qltjIXLx5Cw

Sup York.

• Locked thread