Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I'm sorry you don't see a t-shirt stretch goal or goblin miniature with painted butthole as a financial investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

I'm guessing this is a joke regarding GMS?

It's pretty much the go-to excuse used by every kickstarter that's late or doesn't deliver.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Kickstarter backers are not investors. They may be donors or customers, but a Kickstarter is not an investment.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

NGDBSS posted:

I'm guessing this is a joke regarding GMS?

If it was a GMS quote he'd say they aren't Customers and thus doesn't owe them anything.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's pretty much the go-to excuse used by every kickstarter that's late or doesn't deliver.

I thought the standard asshat argument was the opposite - that since kickstarter backers aren't customers, but investors, they shouldn't expect a return on their investment. This is because investing doesn't necessarily imply a return, whereas being customer does, or so the "logic" goes.

Gareth Michael-Skarka posted:

He’s not a customer. Period. Here’s the thing: _There are no customers for FAR WEST yet._ There are backers, which is not the same as a customer — that’s somebody who has invested money to back a process (of which there are 717, and he isn’t one), each of whom is receiving some amount of stock of various products in the line in return for their investment. Kickstarter is very clear about this. This is not a consumer process.

When FAR WEST is released, THEN there will be customers, when we release it wide. So perhaps your argument that he is a “potential” customer is true — we don’t know. Perhaps the President will get an itch and buy a copy — it could happen, who knows? Meaningless to speculate.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I thought the standard asshat argument was the opposite - that since kickstarter backers aren't customers, but investors, they shouldn't expect a return on their investment. This is because investing doesn't necessarily imply a return, whereas being customer does, or so the "logic" goes.

Both see use, really. Ultimately it's the person saying "just because people gave me TOTALMONEYS to produce THING by DATE doesn't mean I owe them anything".

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Kickstarter backers are gamblers. You put down your money in the hopes that you win fabulous prizes but you're just as likely to go bust with nothing to show for it, and whatever else happens the house (Kickstarter, in this tortured analogy) always wins.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Kickstarter backers are gamblers. You put down your money in the hopes that you win fabulous prizes but you're just as likely to go bust with nothing to show for it, and whatever else happens the house (Kickstarter, in this tortured analogy) always wins.

What's worse is that they think they are creating an environment where the products are improving a market lacking good products and services. In fact, many many many funded products are just mediocre or bad, but there isn't much of a way to know during the funding process. At least with traditional forms of investment and venture capital there are contracts and expectations that products meet certain quality standards, deadlines, sales etc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

XyrlocShammypants posted:

What's worse is that they think they are creating an environment where the products are improving a market lacking good products and services. In fact, many many many funded products are just mediocre or bad, but there isn't much of a way to know during the funding process. At least with traditional forms of investment and venture capital there are contracts and expectations that products meet certain quality standards, deadlines, sales etc.

Nah, when dealing with the tabletop games market (and others besides) traditional forms of product creation are no more guaranteed to create something that isn't mediocre or bad. Plenty of lovely tradgames existed before Kickstarter was a gleam in some heartbreaker creator's eye and plenty more will continue to exist outside of it, and being traditionally funded is no more a guarantee of quality standards, meeting deadlines, or any other expectations.

The issue with Kickstarter isn't "the products people are making are bad," the issue is that Kickstarter makes it very, very easy for people with no business sense or experience to make a lot of money with a very appealing sounding pitch and suddenly find themselves in over their heads, i.e. wow look at all this money I raised, taxes, what are those? Production cost overruns? Shipping costs just went up?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Nah, when dealing with the tabletop games market (and others besides) traditional forms of product creation are no more guaranteed to create something that isn't mediocre or bad. Plenty of lovely tradgames existed before Kickstarter was a gleam in some heartbreaker creator's eye and plenty more will continue to exist outside of it, and being traditionally funded is no more a guarantee of quality standards, meeting deadlines, or any other expectations.

The issue with Kickstarter isn't "the products people are making are bad," the issue is that Kickstarter makes it very, very easy for people with no business sense or experience to make a lot of money with a very appealing sounding pitch and suddenly find themselves in over their heads, i.e. wow look at all this money I raised, taxes, what are those? Production cost overruns? Shipping costs just went up?

True, but the development of a game follows some publishers standards, so I know if I buy a FFG board game it will be of some quality. If I buy a game from Asmodee it will be of some quality. My biggest beef with Kickstarter isn't failed kickstarters but 'changes' made along the way, sometimes drastic changes. This is more likely with technology based products, but I have seen it with board games as well. Yes, you can cancel your order if the changes are unacceptable but it leaves an unsavory taste in my mouth.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

XyrlocShammypants posted:

True, but the development of a game follows some publishers standards, so I know if I buy a FFG board game it will be of some quality. If I buy a game from Asmodee it will be of some quality. My biggest beef with Kickstarter isn't failed kickstarters but 'changes' made along the way, sometimes drastic changes. This is more likely with technology based products, but I have seen it with board games as well. Yes, you can cancel your order if the changes are unacceptable but it leaves an unsavory taste in my mouth.

This still isn't really a significant difference between Kickstarting and regular publishing in terms of quality output though. If I preorder something from, say, Palladium games then there's a good chance I'm throwing my money away, and even if I just pay for something of theirs that's already released then odds are it's a bunch of copy-pasted stuff and rules that don't work. Meanwhile if Greg Stolze Kickstarts something then I can put money down on that in full confidence that barring a natural disaster or truly unfortunate set of events he'll deliver. In either case determining who's worth your money and who isn't is a combination of personal experience, word of mouth, and trial and error.

Kickstarter does mean that you have a lot more "this is our first published product ever!" startups going on so you, the customer, have less information to work on when making your informed decision, but that's still no different than if they were going through a more traditional production route because you'd still be taking a chance when you bought their game. The big difference isn't "will this be good?" so much as "will this person actually get their game together?" which is an entirely separate, and entirely valid, issue beyond quality control.

The mid-stream changes thing isn't something I've had a lot of personal experience with so I can't really speak to it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
One of the first boardgames I ever bought was Drakon 3rd Edition from FFG, and the quality of the... Not sure what to call it, the border-thing(?) holding the tiles was so shoddy that by taking out the tiles normally I damaged 3 of them. I had to find a special trick to take them out with no noticeable damage to them. The weirdest thing is that the border-thing on the different tokens in the game was done like it's normally done, so none of those were harmed while unpacking the stuff.

So yeah, buying from established companies isn't always such an assurance on even component quality.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
edit: Nevermind again, I can't see myself actually playing Yashima

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 14, 2014

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

ThaShaneTrain posted:

I would like a lined tray to roll dice in. A cup is a bunch of unnecessary movements to do the same thing as rolling by hand, I have one I really like but I never have a reason to really use it unless I played on a TV tray.

A dice tray is just a place to roll dice that keeps them contained and away from table edges. also everyone can use it and you don't have to pass it around like a cup. If one hit KS that was the right price I'd jump on it.

I won't do dice towers though, they just seem like an even bigger waste of time and space than cups.

Just rewinding, but we found a dice tray to be pretty much necessary for our FF Star Wars RPG group.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Speaking of Kickstarters that probably weren't planned well in advance-

Shadows of Brimstone, Flying Frog Productions posted:

ROW Shipping

That stands for "Rest of the World" shipping. Basically, all of the places outside of the USA and Europe. We've heard a lot of concern about ROW Shipping - when will it start, why is there no plan?!? There is a plan, but first let's talk about the issues that we are facing. Shipping is expensive, especially, for heavy, heavy game boxes like the core sets. Each one is like a brick - filled to the brim with goodies. This is how Flying Frog makes games! We don't want a half empty box when you open it. We fill it with as much stuff as we can!

Anyway, let's look at a quick example: John Smith is an amazing and supportive backer from Australia and he's backed the project at the $150 Outlaw Level. Because he was an international backer, he also had to pay an extra $25 for shipping. So, He's getting both core games in Wave 1 and all those stretch goals in Wave 2. Our actual shipping cost to Australia for each of these Waves is estimated at over $150, so over $300 shipping to get John Smith his games that he payed $175 for. So, we are already negative $125 for John before we even add the cost of the games and stretch goals! We have well over 200 backers in Australia. So, as you can see, that is not really feasible.

Instead, we are working on a plan to freight the packages to Australia and then have them individually sent out once they're 'down under'. There will be individual solutions for different areas with large groups of backers. ROW countries with just a few backers will just be sent directly at a major loss. So, you can see that it is not simple and we are making the best decisions we can to get backers their games ASAP, without endangering the company.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Do people making kick starters just hope that people outside the US don't back it?

Also how's Palladium's Robotech game coming along? Been ages since I heard anything about it.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
No clue. Their last update was on the 3rd and pretty much read as "Hey, were're totally shipping stuff starting today. See? 200 boxes ready to be picked up."
I would not be surprised if they're still sitting there.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
My current Kickstarter, Boiling Point, just went over 100%, so I've posted stretch goals for it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rosspayton/boiling-point-a-superheroic-adventure/posts/1017961

Only 5 days left!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cassa posted:

Do people making kick starters just hope that people outside the US don't back it?

Also how's Palladium's Robotech game coming along? Been ages since I heard anything about it.

Somebody I work with got their core set, but apparently he's still waiting on all of the extra stuff he ordered.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Cassa posted:

It sort of cuts both ways. I would back a lot more stuff, except by the time you add shipping and run the currency conversion it can take a things from "neat impulse purchase" to "more than one weeks (responsible) disposable income", with no guarantee you'll ever see anything for your money.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cassa posted:

They're getting shipping crates in one at a time. They're supposed to be shipping wave one - which is most of the core box, minus special characters, some units, and none of the later extras or stretches - to people either in order of their backer number, or backer kit number, but so far nobody outside the continental USA has received it, and "by the numbers" is apparently not what is happening.

Not expecting to see any of mine before 2015. It's still the greatest thing ever though and has had few problems or complaints, says Kevin.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 15, 2014

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Actually, they're shipping in batches of "these are packed the same." And the smaller orders are going out before the large ones.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SpikeMcclane posted:

Actually, they're shipping in batches of "these are packed the same." And the smaller orders are going out before the large ones.

They're all packed the same, because all they have are the core Battle Cry boxes with 2/3 of the minis that are supposed to be in them, and all the pledge levels were just multiples of that box. The smaller orders are the people who only backed for one battle cry, of which there are many, and they seem to be doing America first in an order that is neither backer number nor backet kit number like originally promised.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah. Palladium really needed to rely on a fulfillment service - they're just from all appearances not equipped for this, and this is just the tip of the iceberg. They're begging for volunteers in exchange for product and offering to let people pick copies up from their office. And this isn't even a third of the material they have to ship.

I feel bad for Palladium employees in the upcoming months, this is going to be a nightmare. They say they'll have the first shipments out by the end of the month - and since it's Wayne Smith saying that and not Kevin, it might actually be accurate - but add the usual Kickstarter shipment drama (failed shipments, product issues, etc.) on top of all this and it's just shaping up to be quite the mess.

I have to wonder with all the finger-pointing by Kevin if Ninja Division are going to be keen to keep working with Palladium on future projects. What, no Southern Cross kickstarter already? :raise:

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 15, 2014

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Vye is on its last days. It looks like it would be fun and the style is really cool. The thing that gets me is the whole "your name on the card" thing that I was hoping would die down in the TG kickstarter world. It is kind of stupid that it is a big deal to me but I don't want random rear end peoples names to be on the cards of a game I may be playing many years later. Worse still they say that it will be on every copy made through the Kickstarter and they may not do any runs beyond it.

Years from now I will be playing the game with my theoretical children and they will say "Why is this name here poppa? It has nothing to do with the mechanisms, art, theme, or style of this game." and I will have to tell them a tale of how a game would not have been funded if it weren't for Biff Hardcheese.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. Palladium really needed to rely on a fulfillment service - they're just from all appearances not equipped for this, and this is just the tip of the iceberg. They're begging for volunteers in exchange for product and offering to let people pick copies up from their office. And this isn't even a third of the material they have to ship.

I feel bad for Palladium employees in the upcoming months, this is going to be a nightmare. They say they'll have the first shipments out by the end of the month - and since it's Wayne Smith saying that and not Kevin, it might actually be accurate - but add the usual Kickstarter shipment drama (failed shipments, product issues, etc.) on top of all this and it's just shaping up to be quite the mess.

I have to wonder with all the finger-pointing by Kevin if Ninja Division are going to be keen to keep working with Palladium on future projects. What, no Southern Cross kickstarter already? :raise:

I wish I could find it, but I'm pretty sure at one point Kevin was blaming Ninja Division for being late because ND was working on multiple projects, some of which weren't Palladuim's.

You know, Kev, some companies are capable of working on two projects at the same time. In fact, some can even do three or four! :monocle:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Vye is on its last days. It looks like it would be fun and the style is really cool.
I was backing it for a while, but the creators have had pretty poor communication throughout. The names didn't bother me much, and I loved the art, but I decided to back out because I'm not convinced they know what they're doing.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Just got my copy of the Convicted. Anyone manage to table it yet?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Vye is on its last days. It looks like it would be fun and the style is really cool. The thing that gets me is the whole "your name on the card" thing that I was hoping would die down in the TG kickstarter world. It is kind of stupid that it is a big deal to me but I don't want random rear end peoples names to be on the cards of a game I may be playing many years later. Worse still they say that it will be on every copy made through the Kickstarter and they may not do any runs beyond it.

Years from now I will be playing the game with my theoretical children and they will say "Why is this name here poppa? It has nothing to do with the mechanisms, art, theme, or style of this game." and I will have to tell them a tale of how a game would not have been funded if it weren't for Biff Hardcheese.

As cool as this game's art is, that gameplay looks anemic. Like my god does that sound stupid simple.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

GrandpaPants posted:

As cool as this game's art is, that gameplay looks anemic. Like my god does that sound stupid simple.

That's what some people want. I didn't back it for the same reason though, I already have super-entry-level card games.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I'm putting the finishing touches to the Kickstarter for Legacy, my civilisation-rebuilding Apocalypse World hack. There's a preview page here - if any of you have feedback on the page, I'd be very grateful!

The kickstarter's mostly for art and layout, as the game's completely written (barring any edits that might arise from backer feedback) and all backers will have access to the raw text as soon as they back the game. It's my first kickstarter so there may be a few rough edges, although I've tried to learn from the successful TG kickstarters of the past.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Flavivirus posted:

I'm putting the finishing touches to the Kickstarter for Legacy, my civilisation-rebuilding Apocalypse World hack. There's a preview page here - if any of you have feedback on the page, I'd be very grateful!

The kickstarter's mostly for art and layout, as the game's completely written (barring any edits that might arise from backer feedback) and all backers will have access to the raw text as soon as they back the game. It's my first kickstarter so there may be a few rough edges, although I've tried to learn from the successful TG kickstarters of the past.

It looks pretty solid, did a good job of telling me what the game was about and why I might be interested in it. You said it's been in play testing for a year, do you have any play test sessions recorded or logged that might give a good idea of what play looks like? Maybe even just an example of how the world building tools or different scales work could go a long way towards showing what Legacy does that other games don't do out of the box.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Misandu posted:

It looks pretty solid, did a good job of telling me what the game was about and why I might be interested in it. You said it's been in play testing for a year, do you have any play test sessions recorded or logged that might give a good idea of what play looks like? Maybe even just an example of how the world building tools or different scales work could go a long way towards showing what Legacy does that other games don't do out of the box.

Hmm... most of the playtesting was recorded in the form of people sending me reports after trying it out, but I do have a few sessions recorded on a dictaphone. I'll start transcribing some sections of those, but I might also reaching out to some of the RPG actual play podcast people.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Got my copy of Xia: Legends of a Drift System today! I'll work on getting some pictures soon, because the game is really pretty and game out looking awesome.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I got mine a few days ago. The box and card art, as well as the little spaceship models are pretty fantastic.

I can't wait to try it, it looks like a fun game.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yeah, mine just showed up today. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Flavivirus posted:

Well written, nice concept art, good theme, reasonable goals, understandable risks. What the gently caress is wrong with you? :haw:

I really have no interest in kick starting RPGs usually because they just sit on a shelf, but your theme and description really intrigues me. Plus you mention A Canticle For Leibowitz" :swoon:

Definitely let us know when you pull the trigger.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
So, buddy of mine (Ed Healy) linked me to a Kickstarter, Flat Plastic Miniatures by Arcknight. It's basically pieces of flat plastic with front-and-back pictures of characters and monsters for use in RPGs. They're running twenty bucks for sixty two, with a package deal. I dunno if I'm gonna back, but I could see it being useful, especially for stuff you're less likely to have a miniature for.

I'd be more tempted if they unlocked some non-fantasy sets, to be honest, but that's because I've already got a crapton of fantasy minis.

EDIT: Pay no attention to the editing behind the curtain!

JackMann fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 17, 2014

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

JackMann posted:

So, buddy of mine (Ed Healy) linked me to a Kickstarter, Flat Plastic Miniatures by Arcknight. It's basically pieces of flat plastic with front-and-back pictures of characters and monsters for use in RPGs. They're running twenty bucks for sixty two, with a package deal. I dunno if I'm gonna back, but I could see it being useful, especially for stuff you're less likely to have a miniature for.

I'd be more tempted if they unlocked some non-fantasy sets, to be honest, but that's because I've already got a crapton of fantasy minis.

Your link, while interesting, isn't to what you think it's to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
...Goddammit. Had a bit of setting fluff I was showing off. Link should be fixed now.

• Locked thread