Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

pokeyman posted:

I always thought "self-documenting code" was just an unattainable ideal. A faux-erudite version of "try to code good".

I guess tests are superior to a smattering of comments buried in lengthy, closed pull requests. I'm not sure that elevates them to the level of "effective documentation".

self documenting code is impossible, you always need comments, tests are not documentation (are u gonna release ur testsuite?), you need both examples and text

hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
The obvious solution is literate programming :getin:

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Well for one thing, because function pointers and function objects are not functors

Wikipedia disagrees https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functor_(disambiguation)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

good jovi posted:

You're a crazy person, and here's eight pages detailing why.

How ironic.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Malcolm XML posted:

(are u gonna release ur testsuite?)

If you're releasing the source as well then yes, absolutely.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
The easiest way to tell if something needs a comment: a few weeks later you're back in that part, tracking down a different bug. If you have to take time to figure out what the code is doing, do everyone a favor and leave an explanation. If you're right, so much the better. If you're wrong, it really needed an explanation when it was written.

Bit of a self-horror here. I've got a class called "Legacy". It's basically a direct copy of all the business logic of a tiny embedded part migrated over to the native portion of an android system.

All of the logic: a gigantic god-class singleton that still has remnants of it's former character-based LCD origins dangling on what I can only hope are dead code paths. I've been carving bits of it off, slowly, but the main problem with it is that it works the way the customer wants with a very murky set of requirements that basically boil down to "The way I expect it to."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pigdog posted:

That's actually one of the reasons why comments get out of date so easily. Suppose you do code in a team; a junior programmer can change the code to fix a bug or something, but do they also know the system well enough to update the comments in all the relevant places?

The relevant place should be near the line of code or on the top of the function. If you are too lazy to add or modify a comment that says something like:

/* This code fixed this bug: ${BUG} */

Then I don't want to code with you because you are lazy and don't have decent coding habits, and yes; documentation IS part of good coding habits.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 14, 2014

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I love the argument that comments might get out of date so you should just abandon them and use descriptive method names instead. Because there's no way anyone would ever change a method without updating its name ... right?

Missing method comments are a code smell. It might still be good code, but it's often a sign of sloppy maintenance.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ratbert90 posted:

The relevant place should be near the line of code or on the top of the function. If you are too lazy to add or modify a comment that says something like:

No, this is crap. I don't want my code littered with comments like that, it actually makes things much harder to understand. Version control commit messages that link to Jira stories will allow me to dig deep if I want.

For internal code, public interfaces need comments on a per-method basis, everything else can have class level or no comments at all. Class names and unit tests with good names tell me what a class should do, a modern IDE allows me to quickly find method callers and view project structure and flow, and then there's that pink stuff in my head that works pretty well at figuring stuff out as well.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Then I don't want to code with you because you are lazy and don't have decent coding habits, and yes; documentation IS part of good coding habits.

Comments are cool, but in 5 years noone is going to care that ${BUG} existed, they'll just look at the code and think duh:

code:
float CalculateSpan(float a, float b)
{
  float span = b - a;

// abs is needed to fix ${BUG}: "some arguments result in span being negative".
  return fabs(span);
}

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

baquerd posted:

No, this is crap. I don't want my code littered with comments like that, it actually makes things much harder to understand. Version control commit messages that link to Jira stories will allow me to dig deep if I want.

For internal code, public interfaces need comments on a per-method basis, everything else can have class level or no comments at all. Class names and unit tests with good names tell me what a class should do, a modern IDE allows me to quickly find method callers and view project structure and flow, and then there's that pink stuff in my head that works pretty well at figuring stuff out as well.

No poo poo they do, that's why I said PART of good coding habits. The work I do requires comments, because sorry but:

C code:
int do_stuff(void)
{
   unsigned int base = CCM_BASE;
   unsigned int offset = 0x40;
   void __iomem *ss_base = NULL;
   unsigned int val = 0x0bb88006;
   ss_base =  MX6_IO_ADDRESS(base);
   writel(val, ss_base  + offset );	
}
Is difficult to read. And other than base and offset which is under our control, all the other variables come from other peoples code.
I would much rather take the time to add a few comments to make it understandable.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Does the HTML for the last 10 pages of this thread count as "code?"

Just wondering.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
I've had to fix some code that the comments said one thing but the function does something else (and the comments in this case were actually right). The code was missing tests to ensure this functionality from the comments. But I'm glad the comments were there or else maybe they wouldn't be fixed!

ratbert90 posted:

I would say that this is only useful for ignoring tests or something (where you link to a JIRA story and say why it's ignored, in case the project moves on JIRA and loses its old stories) as otherwise all the relevant information on how a file was changed is the point of the CVS.

Unless maybe you had to do something convoluted to fix a bug that is really non-obvious maybe? Otherwise I'd think more general purpose comments just explaining what something does is better.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

TheresaJayne posted:

and this is WIP for a game i was working on but has now hit the doldrums
https://github.com/theresajayne/tranquility

I got bored after looking through like fifteen classes and only seeing boilerplate getters/setters. Is there any actual code in here? What did you even write besides the DB schema?

I guess that

code:
public class UniverseVO extends ValueObject {
private Long universeID;
private String universeName;
public Long getUniverseID() {
return universeID;
}
public void setUniverseID(Long universeID) {
this.universeID = universeID;
}
public String getUniverseName() {
return universeName;
}
public void setUniverseName(String universeName) {
this.universeName = universeName;
}
}
is "self-documenting" in that it doesn't do anything and so I don't need any documentation to tell me what it's not doing?

I mean there are seriously four levels of abstract interface and implementations in here. It reads like one of those "Java is bad lol" jokes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Master_Odin posted:

I've had to fix some code that the comments said one thing but the function does something else (and the comments in this case were actually right). The code was missing tests to ensure this functionality from the comments. But I'm glad the comments were there or else maybe they wouldn't be fixed!

I would say that this is only useful for ignoring tests or something (where you link to a JIRA story and say why it's ignored, in case the project moves on JIRA and loses its old stories) as otherwise all the relevant information on how a file was changed is the point of the CVS.

Unless maybe you had to do something convoluted to fix a bug that is really non-obvious maybe? Otherwise I'd think more general purpose comments just explaining what something does is better.

Ok, I can reword my thoughts.

If you are too lazy to add a small blurb as to what the code does, I don't want to work with you.

C++ code:
	/* Check to see if cloud has butt and run Do_Function to prevent
	   problems that could be caused by cloud having butt in the string.  */
	if (strstr(dev->cloud, "butt"))
	{
	  Do_function();
	}

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

NFX posted:

Comments are cool, but in 5 years noone is going to care that ${BUG} existed, they'll just look at the code and think duh:

code:
{
  float span = b - a;

// abs is needed to fix ${BUG}: "some arguments result in span being negative".
  return fabs(span);
}

Yeah whenever our ISV worked on stuff for us we'd get notations like that in the code for bug fixed and enhancements, but then as more bug fixes or enhancements were added it just becomes a mess.

Like so:

code:
// Calculates the span between two numbers per ${MOD} on ${Date} by ${Vendor}
{
  // Fixed misspelled variable name from "spin" to "span" per ${BUG} on ${Date} by ${Vendor} 
  float span = b - a;

// abs is needed because some arguments result in span being negative per ${BUG} on ${Date} by ${Vendor}
  // Original: return span;
  return fabs(span);

// End of ${Vendor} change
}
Or something like that. But as you can see it becomes a loving nightmare of comments that don't take advantage of the VCS and don't even matter if you just read the code. Their bad examples rubbed off on the internal devs and so I had to do a whole drat pow wow and explain the problem with this and why even through they are the 'expert's that this is stupid and wrong, and then I had them go through and strip out or combine a lot of this poo poo.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

ratbert90 posted:

If you are too lazy to add a small blurb as to what the code does, I don't want to work with you.

If it's obvious what your code is doing it doesn't need comments. In this case if your function was named handle_butts() or something it wouldn't need any additional explanation.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

astr0man posted:

If it's obvious what your code is doing it doesn't need comments. In this case if your function was named handle_butts() or something it wouldn't need any additional explanation.

This is why I name all of my functions like "handle_butts_returns_false_if_butthandle_invalid_true_if_butthandling_successful_takes_single_butthandler_or_array_of_butthandles(ButtHandle butthandle = false, Array butthandles = [])"

The comment isn't there to tell you what the function does necessarily. It's there to tell you why the function exists and appropriate usage details. Not all of that information can fit in a function name.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 15, 2014

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Go to JS compiler

The real horror is trying to appeal to the Gopher crowd. Get with the times, Go OTG, Gode, GS, all aim for that younger demo. Or is that the point?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

ErIog posted:

This is why I name all of my functions like "handle_butts_returns_false_if_butthandle_invalid_true_if_butthandling_successful_takes_single_butthandler_or_array_of_butthandles(ButtHandle butthandle = false, Array butthandles = [])"
So you're the one who designed the Mac OS X API.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

C++ code:
	/* Check to see if cloud has butt and run Do_Function to prevent
	   problems that could be caused by cloud having butt in the string.  */
	if (strstr(dev->cloud, "butt"))
	{
	  Do_function();
	}

The comment there just restates the code. The comment there should explain why that check is necessary.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

ErIog posted:

The comment isn't there to tell you what the function does necessarily. It's there to tell you why the function exists and appropriate usage details. Not all of that information can fit in a function name.

Yeah I understand that, but his example was an if statement and a function call, along with a comment that said "check this condition and then call function()". Comments like that are wasted space and don't do explain anything that isn't already obvious to anyone reading the code.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ratbert90 posted:

No poo poo they do, that's why I said PART of good coding habits. The work I do requires comments, because sorry but:

C code:
int do_stuff(void)
{
   unsigned int base = CCM_BASE;
   unsigned int offset = 0x40;
   void __iomem *ss_base = NULL;
   unsigned int val = 0x0bb88006;
   ss_base =  MX6_IO_ADDRESS(base);
   writel(val, ss_base  + offset );	
}
Is difficult to read. And other than base and offset which is under our control, all the other variables come from other peoples code.
I would much rather take the time to add a few comments to make it understandable.

OK, yeah, the closer you're working to assembly the more comments are required. Working in a higher level language like Java, C#, Ruby, Python, et al. allows you to choose variable names that aren't complete poo poo though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

val not being a manifest constant is a paddling, though. And ss_base better have some clear meaning in your context. :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

val not being a manifest constant is a paddling, though. And ss_base better have some clear meaning in your context. :colbert:

It does indeed. Spread Spectrum :colbert:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

baquerd posted:

OK, yeah, the closer you're working to assembly the more comments are required. Working in a higher level language like Java, C#, Ruby, Python, et al. allows you to choose variable names that aren't complete poo poo though.

What prevents you from using a variable name that isn't complete poo poo in C?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

baquerd posted:

It is too bad that C comes from a time where everything was at a premium. A lot of the terseness is left over from those days. Sadly, old programmers and new programmers working with old code like to carry on bad traditions even when they are not needed anymore. It is often hard to break them that habit. I speak that from experience.

Best rule of comments is to use them for covering pointing out the corner cases, side effects, and other non obvious items. That said I would say 90% of the comments I run across are useless, and when I need them the most, they are non existent.

HFX fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 15, 2014

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dessert Rose posted:

In addition to what HFX said, sometimes you're doing something like pointer arithmetic to hack in solutions that just need a good bit of explanation to make sense. I'm not really a C guy though, I just know that it seems to universally have crap variable names.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

baquerd posted:

[Ruby, Python] allows you to choose variable names that aren't complete poo poo though.

Not so sure about this, especially if we are talking about code that is supposed to be self documenting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Comments within a function are mostly used well to say "before you read this next part, let me explain to you that I'm not actually a terrible developer; I had no choice, because..." or "please refer to this extensive external documentation of this algorithm".

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dessert Rose posted:

Nothing, it's just memory at the end of the day, and I generally do use descriptive variable names and function names, but trolling around kernel code can become tedious a lot of times when other people don't, so I always put a header at the top of every function I write just so I don't become the person I hate.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ratbert90 posted:

trolling around kernel code can become tedious

People who use the word "kernel" outside of actual privileged-operating-system-code are usually trying to excuse cleverness that doesn't pay for itself, or otherwise indulge their illusions of Kernighan-ness. Beware.

Even within privileged OS code, it's used to paper over a lot of terrible shortcuts ignoring that humans will someday read this text.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

People who use the word "kernel" outside of actual privileged-operating-system-code are usually trying to excuse cleverness that doesn't pay for itself, or otherwise indulge their illusions of Kernighan-ness. Beware.

Even within privileged OS code, it's used to paper over a lot of terrible shortcuts ignoring that humans will someday read this text.

Oh I mean Linux kernel level code. :v: Ask me about Macros that go to Macros that combine into their own separate functions!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ratbert90 posted:

Oh I mean Linux kernel level code. :v: Ask me about Macros that go to Macros that combine into their own separate functions!

Yeah, I did Linux filesystem work for a few years, and other misc network/porting stuff before that. It's a sewer of "you must not be smart enough" treehouse programming.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Dessert Rose posted:

The last time I was paid to write C the compiler wouldn't complain about, but would ignore any part of an identifier after 8 letters.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hughlander posted:

The last time I was paid to write C the compiler wouldn't complain about, but would ignore any part of an identifier after 8 letters.

Wow, that compiler must have been horribly lovely.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I did Linux filesystem work for a few years, and other misc network/porting stuff before that. It's a sewer of "you must not be smart enough" treehouse programming.

But it's posix compliant so it must be good! :downs:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 15, 2014

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dessert Rose posted:

Writing a C compiler

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

I think of comments as justification for why a given piece of code needs to exist, and of commit messages as justification for why that code needs to be changed. Otherwise why does it need to exist?

It doesn't. Stop writing code.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

It doesn't. Stop writing code.

Welcome to management

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Dessert Rose posted:

I got bored after looking through like fifteen classes and only seeing boilerplate getters/setters. Is there any actual code in here? What did you even write besides the DB schema?

I guess that

code:
public class UniverseVO extends ValueObject {
private Long universeID;
private String universeName;
public Long getUniverseID() {
return universeID;
}
public void setUniverseID(Long universeID) {
this.universeID = universeID;
}
public String getUniverseName() {
return universeName;
}
public void setUniverseName(String universeName) {
this.universeName = universeName;
}
}
is "self-documenting" in that it doesn't do anything and so I don't need any documentation to tell me what it's not doing?

I mean there are seriously four levels of abstract interface and implementations in here. It reads like one of those "Java is bad lol" jokes.

As i said i got bored, all the boilerplate really got me down :)

i like code that does stuff not just sets up stuff, also that was a few years ago (moved it from sourceforge to github a while back as well.
and it was based on the coding standard and design as used by Perform Group where i used to work.