Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Cross posting from 40k thread,

Looking for feedback: so my overall army scheme is Green/Silver, with black, gold and red highlights on certain things/weapons. My terminators have Dark Angels Green bodies and legs, and silver arms/hands, and black/silver weapons; I initially painted my Belial with gold arms, to make him stand out as a leader, but I'm not sure it came out well. He has a cape, which should help distinguish him, but what do people think about ways to make him stand out beyond the cape and his wargear?

Normal terminator:

Terminator sergeant:

Belial:

All together:

Part of the issue is also that with the dark green, the dark red, the gold (which comes out kind of dark) and his dark skin there really isn't a bright point on the model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Hi Direwolf! Stuff looks great, dude. Especially that Belial.

It's been a while since I've contributed, painting thread. But I'm back now:

I love these models. They're super pose-able, look cool as poo poo, and are fantastic when painted. That being said, they were a bitch and a half to paint.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

The Sex Cannon posted:

I love these models. They're super pose-able, look cool as poo poo, and are fantastic when painted. That being said, they were a bitch and a half to paint.

Those are some rad looking models . I'm loving jealous. I wish my stuff looked half as rad

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the sort of warm-bone color here? Everything I try ends up too dark.

I'd try whatever the replacement for gryphonne sepia is over a ceramite white undercoat, then stipple on bleached bone or ushabti bone over top of that in a watered down, thin layer.

Or ignore me and go here for the actual painting guide:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/downloads/product/pdf/h/Horus_Heresy_Painting_Guide.pdf

Whatever feels good, man.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Infinity crosspost: Mostly finished painting an Anathematic today. Pretty happy with how it turned out, especially considering that it's the model that sold me on the game and my faction of choice. May go back and add a few scratches and such, but maybe not.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Love the thin layers and depth to the green. Definitely do scratches and post results!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

These are so clean and crisp it's surreal. The radio is itself an oddly fitting backdrop.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

The Sex Cannon posted:

Hey dude. Glad you got those guys painted up, we should get a game in soon and see how they do :)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

These walkers look awesome; what was so hard to deal with when painting them? I love those models.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

SRM posted:

These walkers look awesome; what was so hard to deal with when painting them? I love those models.

Three things:
1. A ton of nooks and crannies. I shouldn't have completely assembled them before I began painting.
2. The camo scheme is super easy on the big, flat panels of tanks, but much more difficult on the legs of a sentinel. In the early days of basecoating, I had to do frequent double checks to make sure I was not missing any of the yellow camo areas.
3. Destiny came out last month. Kinda disrupted my nerd time.

That being said, I do love these models. Coolest Imperial walker (saving, perhaps, the Titan Legions) around.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've never painted a mini in my life and I'm going to try the 'dip' method on the miniatures from http://sentineltactics.com/.

When I opened the box I realized how small they are and now I'm scared.

Am I dumb?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kaddish posted:

I've never painted a mini in my life and I'm going to try the 'dip' method on the miniatures from http://sentineltactics.com/.

When I opened the box I realized how small they are and now I'm scared.

Am I dumb?

Just remember to matte varnish them afterwards, otherwise they will look like shiny rear end.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Just remember to matte varnish them afterwards, otherwise they will look like shiny rear end.

Yep, I have some Army Painter matte finish I believe. I also got Army Painter Quickshade because I hate money.

One thing I don't know how I'll deal with is standing the minis up while applying the quickshade. Painting I think I can do just holding the model from the top after that part has dried but with the varnish I'll need some way to stand them up. They have clear plastic bases with nubbins on the bottoms of their feet to slot into the base. I guess I could just varnish them while they're in their bases and wipe of the excess.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Kaddish posted:

... try the 'dip' method...

Every chance I get:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kaddish posted:

Yep, I have some Army Painter matte finish I believe. I also got Army Painter Quickshade because I hate money.

One thing I don't know how I'll deal with is standing the minis up while applying the quickshade. Painting I think I can do just holding the model from the top after that part has dried but with the varnish I'll need some way to stand them up. They have clear plastic bases with nubbins on the bottoms of their feet to slot into the base. I guess I could just varnish them while they're in their bases and wipe of the excess.

Using Quickshade/dip is fine, but I would strongly recommend against literally dipping. It's hugely messy and you need to shake off the excess really hard, it's just not worth the trouble. Use what Army Painter calls the "splash-on" method, where you slop the stuff on with a brush and then wick off the excess. It seems like it would take longer but since you don't have to set up a tarp or whatever in your garage it actually just takes a few minutes.

saurkrautwerfer
Feb 19, 2013
Question:

I have one of those giant vallejo suitcases o' paint (so like 72 or so of the small squeeze bottles in a plastic case with foam insert). I went overseas for a job for a while though, and left all my painting supplies with my wife.

Long story short, we're moving a few states over. I'm already at the destination, and about to move into our new digs, but she's not going to be able to join me for another two months. I'd like to start painting sooner than that and it'd be a shame to buy lots more paint while I've got nearly all I need already.

So we're looking at mailing the paint. Everything I've seen listed online is more oriented on house paints, or larger containers so no help there. Before I start calling around tomorrow, has anyone else had to send acrylic paints via the mail in bulk? The paint clearly can be shipped somehow, as I ordered them online in the first place, but it's been a while since I bought them so I'm not sure if they came specially packed, and if it was a USPS thing, or Fedex or something.

*edits: I am typing like I am illiterate today.

saurkrautwerfer fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 16, 2014

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I have ordered bulk paint from Reaper in the past couple months and I'm almost certain it arrived via USPS.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I had a random idea for a Tzeentch themed chaos army the other day and decided to paint up a marine just to see how it would work. The whole idea was to make an army, or in the case of the test model, a marine that is completely devoid of color and desaturated. I chose to do a Blood Angel as the test figure, and I think it came out okay, which is good because shading the armor was very time consuming. I also based it in a way that the earth is being desaturated around the marine's feet.

Let me know what you guys think.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BlackIronHeart posted:

I have ordered bulk paint from Reaper in the past couple months and I'm almost certain it arrived via USPS.

Yup, I order Reaper all the time and the bottles are just tossed in a box loose with some crumpled packing paper and sent USPS. Nothing special required.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jadebullet posted:

So I had a random idea for a Tzeentch themed chaos army the other day and decided to paint up a marine just to see how it would work.
Right now the model just looks unfinished. If you want a greyscale army, it's definitely doable, and in some cases can look really great. There was a painting contest on Dakka and the theme was Sin City, which led to some really neat paintjobs:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/615288.page

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

jadebullet posted:

So I had a random idea for a Tzeentch themed chaos army the other day and decided to paint up a marine just to see how it would work. The whole idea was to make an army, or in the case of the test model, a marine that is completely devoid of color and desaturated. I chose to do a Blood Angel as the test figure, and I think it came out okay, which is good because shading the armor was very time consuming. I also based it in a way that the earth is being desaturated around the marine's feet.

Let me know what you guys think.

I can see what you are going for and close up it looks good. But on the tabletop and at first glance they look a bit like they have been undercoated and aren't finished.

Maybe add some really bright colours as a contrast, on the base, where it isn't being drained of colour?
Or have a technicolour deamon perched on the marines backpack?
Or a line or area of normal colour, different on each model, where their original colour is still visible? Maybe on a few models in a squad.
Coloured fire around the ankles, or at the line between desaturated/normal?

If you want it to be obvious that the chaos theme is desaturated or leeched colour, then the bits that aren't really need to stand out. Same as if you wanted to show burnt footprints from a deamon, if all the base looks scorched then they won't show up.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
If you want to pull off the greyscale look you pretty much need some sort of bright, eye-catching contrasting color--red, blue, green, something. Sin City does this really well with the splash of red tossed in, and while that might be a bit overdone it works.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kaddish posted:

Use blue tack (like the kind you use to hand posters) and a Popsicle stick.

SRM posted:

Right now the model just looks unfinished. If you want a greyscale army, it's definitely doable, and in some cases can look really great. There was a painting contest on Dakka and the theme was Sin City, which led to some really neat paintjobs:

I'm currently painting my Flames of War army entirely in greys and blues since they are going to be modeled as fighting at night. Here is a really bad/over lit pic I took of one of the big guns:

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

I made a comms relay out of bits. I think it looks p cool.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Sex Cannon posted:

I made a comms relay out of bits. I think it looks p cool.

What did it start out as, because all I can think of is "the Adeptus Mechanicus got their hands on a trash can"

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
It looks like a Valkyrie missile pod with a Sentinel Hunter-Killer mount and a SM tank radar dish.

I love this little game...

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

BlackIronHeart posted:

It looks like a Valkyrie missile pod with a Sentinel Hunter-Killer mount and a SM tank radar dish.

I love this little game...

Lol. That's about exactly it.

JerryLee posted:

What did it start out as, because all I can think of is "the Adeptus Mechanicus got their hands on a trash can"

Also lol. I didn't have any boxy bits laying around, so I went with trashcan.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Progress on the next one.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
We upped the model count in our Black Powder Waterloo armies to 8 bases per standard sized battalion, and I kind of like the results. Finished the bases on one, everything except grass on the other.

2nd bat. 44th Foot

3rd bat. 1st (Royal) Foot

I hit a painting slump after the 1st Foot and am working up the courage to paint again by doing 2 bases at a time to bring the already finished 6 base battalions up to 8 bases.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm interested in knowing what the market is like for building/painting on behalf of people. I'm keen on getting back into scale models but don't really want to store or display anything, I just enjoy making and painting them. I figured if I could paint miniatures for people and cover my costs that would do. Is this viable?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Red_Fred posted:

I'm interested in knowing what the market is like for building/painting on behalf of people. I'm keen on getting back into scale models but don't really want to store or display anything, I just enjoy making and painting them. I figured if I could paint miniatures for people and cover my costs that would do. Is this viable?

If you are doing it for enjoyment and you make them pay for the models and supplies up front, then you will do fine. If you expect to make anything much above minimum wage then forget it.

MidnightPhoenix
May 27, 2004
I'm so spinless, you can boss me around online!
So, if i've already got a Badger Crescendo 175, do I have a reason not to want a Patriot 105 too? Top-feed looks much more convenient for changing colours and I could clean it after by just running a bunch of water through it, right?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Tried quite a few different back drops and distances tonight, but still can't pull off what Madrak looks like in person. The white skin in the box just reflects too much.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Try aiming the light inside at the sides or roof of the box. I found that light placement along with the color of backdrop mattered more than having an actual lightbox. Right now it looks like the light is directly pointed at the models, which will blow out your whites.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I tried several different positions for the lights. Early on was two on the side and one in front which blew the white completely out, so tried putting the third on top which helped show some detail, but it's still pretty whited out.

Edit>> Tried a black backdrop, but the contrast seemed like too much too. Didn't try white, but figured that would drown it out too.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I did a post about this a while ago. My conclusion is similar to yours:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&pagenumber=1169&perpage=40#post432960277

e: on placement

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1170#post432979260

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 17, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

MidnightPhoenix posted:

So, if i've already got a Badger Crescendo 175, do I have a reason not to want a Patriot 105 too? Top-feed looks much more convenient for changing colours and I could clean it after by just running a bunch of water through it, right?

Get the Harder and Steenbeck Ultra or the Paasche Talon. If you just wan't to dick around with a top feed than get a Point Zero Precision or a Iwata Neo CN. Both of those are not very durable unfortunately and the Iwata is notorious for having a really flimsy O-ring that falls abart (literally) after about a year or so. You'll pay about double for the HS or the Paasche but they are way better tools that will last longer (and have actual resale value if you don't break them).

I like the patriot series a lot, but so many better cheaper brushes are on the market that do their job just as well these days. That and once you break into that ~115 price range you start getting into real Iwata and H&S brushes along with the main line Badger stuff all of which is better for like 15-20 dollars more than the patriot.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Red_Fred posted:

I'm interested in knowing what the market is like for building/painting on behalf of people.

Do you enjoy building and painting models? Are you ready for that joy to be forever exiled from your life? Have I got an opportunity for you!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I like doing commission work but I almost exclusively do D&D/Pathfinder character miniatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I finished some oath stuff :toot:

Did I mention I hate painting wood?

I hate painting wood.

• Locked thread