Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Harmless glitches that don't get patched out. It seems like a lot of companies have forgotten what fun is. Take Rockstar for example: in Red Dead Redemption, we had that one stack of logs on the Macfarlane (?) ranch that would rocket you into the stratosphere if you took cover in just the right way. That was taken out. GTA5 used to have a silly glitch that let you walk in the air. I learned about it earlier tonight, only to find I wasn't able to pull it off. The load times made testing that even worse when I eventually saw there was no payoff.

On the other hand, there's Media Molecule. I seem to recall something during LBP2's development where they were talking about the bugs people had discovered in LBP1, and the steps they were taking to ensure those bugs would continue to function in the sequel so that people's creations didn't get screwed up. That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I don't understand the insistence that everything else about Mordor is average, it's not.
The combat is fluid and responsive in ways that even the Batman games aren't, notably how good the game is at responding to your button presses when you're countering, the execute system is pretty great and the loot you get can give you further incentives to get streaks. You actually need to get decent streaks to clear out mobs, which seems to be a much greater incentive than in the Batman games. The animations and timing in Batman may make it seem more fluid, but I recall the controls in Batman refusing to do what I wanted far more often than in Mordor.
While a lot of people don't like the stealth system, I think they actually did something incredible with it, they made it so that stealth isn't sitting around for twenty loving minutes waiting for people to walk by you, there are always tons of bushes, it's difficult for Uruks to see you when you're hanging from ledges or above them, the distract button makes them come over immediately, and because there's a hesitation before an Uruk will actually detect you even if he sees you, it allows the stealth to be quick, fluid, and constant, versus the stutter stop poo poo that people actually think is fun these days. Even the MGS games have moved past that concept, Dishonored did an alright job (unless you were playing nonlethal) yet games like Thief and most notably and recently, Alien: Isolation, still think that sitting around for minutes on end is somehow an engaging experience.

Also, things are ALWAYS happening in the world, Uruks are chasing slaves, Caragors are hunting down and exterminating Uruks, Graugs are getting mobbed on by Uruks trying to take them down, Ghuls are popping out of the ground and swarming all over the place, there is always something happening, the maps are much smaller and so you don't have to go very far to run into a Nemesis event or see something dynamic happening in the world. Compare this to massive lifeless wastelands like GTAV or Watch_Dogs. You don't have to do anything special to fast travel, just not be in combat, so if you don't feel like spending all of the 2 minutes it would take you to run across the map, you could do that. There's no fall damage, and the climbing is responsive and lets you practically climb over everything, so you don't have to spend minutes sidling around looking for a way to get up somewhere.

It isn't just the Nemesis system that makes Mordor good, it's that everything has been streamlined, made less time-consuming, made more responsive, and most importantly, less a pain in the rear end to do. Everything is just geared towards being fun and making sure that each gameplay system doesn't mean the player is going to be constantly having to move over bumps in order to enjoy what they want to do. It's very much a game that says "gently caress you." to excessive attempts to immerse the player and rather just immerses them in an incredibly fun and fluid, no frills, experience with a fantastic centerpiece (the Nemesis system) so that the player has not only a game that's fun to react to, but a game that will react to the player and make him feel like he's actively participating in the world, and guess what, the Nemesis system is so obscenely gamey that so many current artsy fartsy developers would decry it as being a step backwards as far as dynamic narrative devices go, but they'd be loving idiots, because the stories that have been told by players in Mordor are signifigantly more interesting than nearly any game.

Mordor isn't just a flavor of the month game, it's an incredibly well designed game that has some very good steps made towards taking a massively overstated genre (third person open world) and actually moving it forward much more than any other recent game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah SoM is pretty polished and great, and whilst the Nemesis system is definitely the best part of it, I think it'd still be a pretty highly enjoyable game without it, because it's a solid blend of AssCreed and LotR with some Batmans. Like JebanyPedal says, it's a really smooth experience that cuts a hell of a lot of the bullshit out. Even when you die you're back in the action in seconds. I don't want this from every game, sometimes I do personally like a slower stealth affair, but god drat sometimes is it great to just rip people apart with brutal slices and gently caress over Uruks who are taking a piss.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

liquidypoo posted:

Harmless glitches that don't get patched out. It seems like a lot of companies have forgotten what fun is. Take Rockstar for example: in Red Dead Redemption, we had that one stack of logs on the Macfarlane (?) ranch that would rocket you into the stratosphere if you took cover in just the right way. That was taken out. GTA5 used to have a silly glitch that let you walk in the air. I learned about it earlier tonight, only to find I wasn't able to pull it off. The load times made testing that even worse when I eventually saw there was no payoff.

On the other hand, there's Media Molecule. I seem to recall something during LBP2's development where they were talking about the bugs people had discovered in LBP1, and the steps they were taking to ensure those bugs would continue to function in the sequel so that people's creations didn't get screwed up. That's awesome.

I remember a physics glitch in the early days of Halo 3 would let you punch people across the goddamn map. Best exemplified here. So of course it got patched out.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Bloodcider posted:

I remember a physics glitch in the early days of Halo 3 would let you punch people across the goddamn map. Best exemplified here. So of course it got patched out.

There was the glitch in Skyrim where if you got thwomped by a giant you would launch into the stratosphere. The devs thought it was hilarious that they intentionally didn't fix it any of their official patches.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I just love ripping out the throats of orks. Especially that one ork who keeps on coming at me at the worst moments.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

TontoCorazon posted:

I just love ripping out the throats of orks. Especially that one ork who keeps on coming at me at the worst moments.

Yeah, the combat system in SoM might be pretty derivative of Arkham, but goddamn it feels good. My favorite execution is the one where Talion sweeps the orc's legs and then impales him as he's falling, mostly because it goes into way more slo-mo than is probably necessary and a really really loud SCHWIIIIIIING as his sword comes down.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Bloodcider posted:

My favorite glitches are the ones the developers realize are in the game but are so goddamn hilarious that they deliberately leave them in. My favorite is still Saints Row The Third's exploding gimp rickshaws.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

JebanyPedal posted:

I don't understand the insistence that everything else about Mordor is average, it's not.
The combat is fluid and responsive in ways that even the Batman games aren't, notably how good the game is at responding to your button presses when you're countering, the execute system is pretty great and the loot you get can give you further incentives to get streaks. You actually need to get decent streaks to clear out mobs, which seems to be a much greater incentive than in the Batman games. The animations and timing in Batman may make it seem more fluid, but I recall the controls in Batman refusing to do what I wanted far more often than in Mordor.

Having just played it, I have to say that the reason combat is easier is because it rewards mashing compared to the Arkham games where it will gently caress you over. You can cancel into a counter at almost anytime and the combat doesn't reward controlling the area like Batman or even Sleeping Dogs do. You can even counter during a ground execution, making spacing and timing trivial for a combat system initially designed for it. That being said, it is drat fun and is the best Batman combat clone after the Arhkham series and Sleeping Dogs.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

My favorite thing about Bayonetta 2 is that Bayo's rear end was so big it knocked 2.5 points off the Polygon review score.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What the hell, I'll add my fellating to the pile: Shadow of Mordor is pretty great.

Both the combat, stealth and platforming have been simplified, yes, but the overall package is solid. I have only just started playing, but I have already made a couple of Nemeses (I'm bad at video games, alright).

It's also really well optimized. I'm running it on my old laptop without graphical bells or whistles, but I still get an average of 15 FPS (which to me is playable enough).

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

My favorite thing about Bayonetta 2 is that Bayo's rear end was so big it knocked 2.5 points off the Polygon review score.

That's the opposite of a little thing in a game

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

JebanyPedal posted:

It's very much a game that says "gently caress you." to excessive attempts to immerse the player and rather just immerses them...the Nemesis system is so obscenely gamey that so many current artsy fartsy developers would decry it as being a step backwards as far as dynamic narrative devices go, but they'd be loving idiots, because the stories that have been told by players in Mordor are signifigantly more interesting than nearly any game.

Is anyone actually arguing this? Is the lead dev for Gone Home or some other storygames bogeyman up in Kotaku this month saying "emergent stories are actually fairly bad" or where are you getting this from

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The main complaint about the nemesis system is how videogamey it is, because it follows the trend of you very obviously killing a dude stone cold dead, but then they come back anyway because they're your rival or something. I had that complaint initially but the game at least tries to be like "yeah but there are only a few ways you can perma-kill orcs" and all you can do is shrug and go fine whatever.

If you can get past that, it's a really good game! It's just that... some people can't.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Oct 15, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

1redflag posted:

There was the glitch in Skyrim where if you got thwomped by a giant you would launch into the stratosphere. The devs thought it was hilarious that they intentionally didn't fix it any of their official patches.

It's a function of overkill being converted into momentum, which is why things ragdoll dramaticall when hit by fireballs. It works off of base damage, though, which is why your 400-damage daedric warhammer doesn't launch things into the stratosphere. Its base damage is still 27, just hit with a million multipliers. The Giant's club has a base damage of 230, which is why it tends to launch.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

1redflag posted:

There was a physics bug in Counter-Strike Source some years ago that would fling you around when you interacted with certain objects. With a bit of practice and luck, you could launch yourself onto places you weren't meant to reach. It was a side effect of servers that at the time couldn't handle the stress of having players stand on top of physics elements, like barrels or pallets. If you tried to do so you'd just slide off. So if you could find some pieces of physics debris that could collide and have you in the middle of it, you'd fly into the sky :v:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CJacobs posted:

The main complaint about the nemesis system is how videogamey it is, because it follows the trend of you very obviously killing a dude stone cold dead, but then they come back anyway because they're your rival or something. I had that complaint initially but the game at least tries to be like "yeah but there are only a few ways you can perma-kill orcs" and all you can do is shrug and go fine whatever.

If you can get past that, it's a really good game! It's just that... some people can't.

I'm having the opposite problem. It seems that no matter what I do Talion can't help but decapitate an Uruk. And those that don't die this way never seem to do well enough on the RNG to come back.

I want my cool Nemesis stories too, damnit!

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Continuing to add to the pile of compliments for the Nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor: Right after finishing the tutorial, I jumped off a small cliff and brawled with the first Captain I saw, Mogrul the Giggler. Eventually two other Captains wandered over as well as a massive monster-looking guy and I booked it back up the cliff. For some reason the monster guy went berserk and stomped all 3 Captains into the ground. An hour later I got stabbed in the back by Mogrul, who had gone up in power quite a bit after I died once.

I gained my weird giggling nemesis pretty much right out of the gate by getting his face stomped on by a big monster that ignored me for some reason. And now Mogrul terrified of the big monster guys. :allears:

For non-SoM chat, I'm replaying Skyward Sword in Hero Mode and this time around I'm taking the time to enjoy the music. I particularly love when Groose comes into the scene, because the music will either a) change to his awesome theme or b) mix his theme into the current music.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Who What Now posted:

I'm having the opposite problem. It seems that no matter what I do Talion can't help but decapitate an Uruk. And those that don't die this way never seem to do well enough on the RNG to come back.

I want my cool Nemesis stories too, damnit!

If you want to kill them without decapitating them, explosions and throwing them off ledges are your friends! I tend to find that if I use a combat execution then head comes off, most other deaths head stays on.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SiKboy posted:

If you want to kill them without decapitating them, explosions and throwing them off ledges are your friends! I tend to find that if I use a combat execution then head comes off, most other deaths head stays on.
Throwing them of ledges is hilarious because they don't even tumble or squirm or anything. Just float down to the ground in a slightly off-skew T-pose.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

swamp waste posted:

Is anyone actually arguing this? Is the lead dev for Gone Home or some other storygames bogeyman up in Kotaku this month saying "emergent stories are actually fairly bad" or where are you getting this from

People argue all the time that emergent gameplay relies on total immersion and the events feeling natural and not gamey. Kind of in how in RDR they would occur with little prompting and no direction given to the player as how to intercede. RDR did it fine, but generally it seems that there's an attitude of the best way to progress gameplay is to minimize the UI, shroud every decision and mechanic under an illusion that makes them appear totally organic and unscripted, and make them function totally without the player's influence. The more it appears the game is influencing what is happening artificially, the less effective it is.
And it's just not the case. Mordor's obvious and totally unsubtle system is significantly more efficient and memorable.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

People complaining about a video game being "gamey" will never cease to confuse me. Yes it is, thats why I'm playing a video game because I'm in the mood to play a game, which will be by definition gamey. Make it gamey as gently caress, that is literally why I'm playing a game. When I read a book I dont complain that its too "Booky", I've never walked out a movie because it was too movie-y.

Croccers posted:

Throwing them of ledges is hilarious because they don't even tumble or squirm or anything. Just float down to the ground in a slightly off-skew T-pose.

Orcs firmly believe that if you dont move, gravity cant see you and wont hurt you.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SiKboy posted:

People complaining about a video game being "gamey" will never cease to confuse me. Yes it is, thats why I'm playing a video game because I'm in the mood to play a game, which will be by definition gamey. Make it gamey as gently caress, that is literally why I'm playing a game. When I read a book I dont complain that its too "Booky", I've never walked out a movie because it was too movie-y.

People legitimately trying to compare video games with movies or books despite them being a different thing altogether never ceases to confuse me either, but it's a world full of mysteries out there.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
People play games for various reasons and one of them is immersion. That's not to say that immersion is the absolute most important feature of video games on the whole, or that every single game has to offer it, of course, but it's also not inherently good or bad.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

One of my favorite things in Animal Crossing is that if you catch a bug/fish and a villager is nearby, they'll cheer and clap for you. They'll also cower and cover their eyes if you get stung by bees.

In Persona 3 Portable (yes, I'm late to the party, shut up.) I really like how some character's reactions will change towards you if you wear certain armors in Tartarus.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Not many games are easily identifiable as games any more besides being interactive and fans of the existing state of games are largely going to dislike things that go against the newer tradition of being interactive fiction.

It's okay though. New games have still not found a way to make old games stop existing (besides the fact that unlike every other form of media there's little to no effort made by their creators or IP owners to allow future generations to experience classics from previous generations, something that isn't entirely even their own fault due to constantly shifting hardware demands).
Truth be told, if you're looking for the real 'game' experience you should probably stick to online competitive multiplayer games or maybe go back to the classic Atari era style games where a high score is the aim (lots of mobile gaming embraces this model).
Otherwise, like it or not, come to terms with the fact that for 3+ generations of consoles now video games have been increasingly used to tell stories any most current players grew up with this.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sad lions posted:

Not many games are easily identifiable as games any more besides being interactive and fans of the existing state of games are largely going to dislike things that go against the newer tradition of being interactive fiction.

Hmm yes, that minor thing which literally defines video games and differentiates them from every other medium. I can see how that could be a minor factor somewhere. Also story-heavy gameplay-light games have been a thing for a long-rear end time now, if anything they're simply making a comeback.

But seriously though, no matter how trendy ~cinematic experiences~ are right now, if you actually have a hard time distinguishing games from movies in the year 2014 then you have bigger issues than this silly hobby. Gone Homes and Walking Deads and whatnot certainly get a lot of attention, but 98% of video games are very clearly video games even today.

Now to cleverly tie this to the actual topic; in Fallout 3 there's a :nws: beheaded corpse of a man named Gibson who is a reference to the similarly beheaded Jean-Jack Gibson :nws: from the 1988(!) story-focused video game(!!) Snatcher. If you loot him you even find the exact same note you find from Jean-Jack in Snatcher.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Kanfy posted:

If you loot him you even find the exact same note you find from Jean-Jack in Snatcher.

Post the note!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

1redflag posted:

Post the note!

The Note posted:

TWAS ALL FOR BONERS

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

1redflag posted:

Post the note!

There isn't much to it, it just says :nws: "Search the house!" which is actually a double reference; in Snatcher it's a hint towards searching a small model house in Gibson's actual house, and in Fallout 3 the key which you loot from Gibson :nws: which the original Gibson also has unlocks a small model house which is situated in "Gibson's House".

Man, that got a bit confusing to write.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Oct 16, 2014

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

1redflag posted:

Post the note!

Fallout Wiki posted:

Search the House!

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

SiKboy posted:

I think of those complaints are really about the mechanics of the game, which seems fair to me.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Actually while I'm on the subject of Snatcher, it has quite a few funny touches (it's a Hideo Kojima game after all). A couple that come to mind:

- Early on in the game you explore a ruined factory, and your robot helper (called Metal Gear by the way, pretty sure the one in MGS4 is based on this guy) mentions that he can hear ticking and that you should turn up your volume to hear it. It's obviously a time bomb and after it loudly explodes and the protagonist barely escapes, there's this interaction between them:

quote:

Gillian: Jeez, my ears are really ringin'.
Metal: That's because you left the volume turned up.

- You can use your HQ's computer to get info about various things. If you type KOJIMA, you get a small message from the man himself:

- In the game you also have access to a codec-like phone which you can use to call various people by typing in a phone number. One of the numbers you get is for "LoveLine", and calling there twice (IIRC) nets you this pretty great conversation. Linked because it's a huge image.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sad lions posted:

Truth be told, if you're looking for the real 'game' experience you should probably stick to online competitive multiplayer games or maybe go back to the classic Atari era style games where a high score is the aim (lots of mobile gaming embraces this model).
Or you could just play Super Hexagon which is my very definition of a game with just the gameplay. It's amazing. And I love the fact that the stages bounce around and shift constantly with the music.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why do they always seem to list blood type right along with name and birthday in Japan?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Aphrodite posted:

Why do they always seem to list blood type right along with name and birthday in Japan?

Colloquial belief that it influences one's personality, kinda like astrological signs are here.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

carry on then posted:

Surely the developers might have a good understanding of that the game can and cannot do well on last generation's hardware and are doing what they can to salvage the experience given they are running on mid-tier hardware from 2007.

2005 :unsmigghh:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Hmm yes, that minor thing which literally defines video games and differentiates them from every other medium. I can see how that could be a minor factor somewhere. Also story-heavy gameplay-light games have been a thing for a long-rear end time now, if anything they're simply making a comeback.

But seriously though, no matter how trendy ~cinematic experiences~ are right now, if you actually have a hard time distinguishing games from movies in the year 2014 then you have bigger issues than this silly hobby. Gone Homes and Walking Deads and whatnot certainly get a lot of attention, but 98% of video games are very clearly video games even today.

Now to cleverly tie this to the actual topic; in Fallout 3 there's a :nws: beheaded corpse of a man named Gibson who is a reference to the similarly beheaded Jean-Jack Gibson :nws: from the 1988(!) story-focused video game(!!) Snatcher. If you loot him you even find the exact same note you find from Jean-Jack in Snatcher.

It's not likely to go away any time soon and you are going to be disappointed if you think AAA devs and publishers are going to ignore the trends that have brought them so much money in recent years.
I like how the industry looks right now though so I'm enjoying them more often than not.
I think people forget how horrible most games used to be.

Keeping to the thread topic:
The enemy marking system in MGS Ground Zeroes (and soon Phantom Pain) is an absolutely fantastic system that encourages doing a spot of recon before moving in.
Unlike other games that hand you a pair of binoculars that you end up never using this one allows you to see marked enemies through walls to make up for the lack of radar.
Of course you can still be surprised and turn a corner to find a guard whose patrol route was out of view from your vantage point but that's where the reflex ability will save you instead.
It's a neat system that rewards planning but also doesn't require perfection to get the whole stealth thing down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sad lions posted:

It's not likely to go away any time soon and you are going to be disappointed if you think AAA devs and publishers are going to ignore the trends that have brought them so much money in recent years.
I like how the industry looks right now though so I'm enjoying them more often than not.
I think people forget how horrible most games used to be.

Keeping to the thread topic:
The enemy marking system in MGS Ground Zeroes (and soon Phantom Pain) is an absolutely fantastic system that encourages doing a spot of recon before moving in.
Unlike other games that hand you a pair of binoculars that you end up never using this one allows you to see marked enemies through walls to make up for the lack of radar.
Of course you can still be surprised and turn a corner to find a guard whose patrol route was out of view from your vantage point but that's where the reflex ability will save you instead.
It's a neat system that rewards planning but also doesn't require perfection to get the whole stealth thing down.

Far Cry had a similar system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Kanfy posted:

The note on his body is also a hint that the key on his body allows you to unlock a tiny model house inside one of the homes in Minefield.