Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sostratos posted:

Is there anywhere a person can look up when a $1/g sale is happening? It seems like the schedule for them is regional.

I never was able to find anything online, I just asked an employee at the store a few weeks ago and was lucky that she knew it was coming up.

It was a pretty kick rear end receipt, they are normally $120 each, so instead of $360 it was $120 for all 3.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
One of the other fish forums I frequent has established a system where anyone gets wind of the $1/gal sale and it gets posted.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
PetSmart and PetSuppliesPlus also do it pretty often. If you have all three in your area, you never have to wait long.

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004
Earlier this week I finally stocked a 75g Tanganyika setup I've been planning for a while. It has 10 cyprichromis leptosoma, 4 altolamprologus compressiceps, 4 julidochromis transcriptus, and 8 neolamprologus similis. Of all these fish, the only ones that would hold still long enough for a picture were the similis:

All the compressiceps and julidochromis are essentially babies, while there's one cyprichromis showing colors out of the 10. I'll try to get some pics of them later. The similis are by far the most entertaining to watch.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nice! I love Tanganyika tanks.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got my new stand into place, and one of the tanks is up and running. Growing out a half dozen yellow lab mutts that I pulled out of my mbuna tank a few months back. Thinking about breeding some demasoni in the other, lfs has offered to buy as many as I can supply.

Here it is next to my crazy 55g community tank. My basement is slowly but surely becoming a fish room. :coolfish:

e: drat, sorry for huge pics.. posted from my phone

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 12, 2014

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

Enos Cabell posted:

Got my new stand into place, and one of the tanks is up and running. Growing out a half dozen yellow lab mutts that I pulled out of my mbuna tank a few months back. Thinking about breeding some demasoni in the other, lfs has offered to buy as many as I can supply.

Here it is next to my crazy 55g community tank. My basement is slowly but surely becoming a fish room. :coolfish:

e: drat, sorry for huge pics.. posted from my phone

Not gonna lie, that's one enviable setup you have there :)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sonic H posted:

Not gonna lie, that's one enviable setup you have there :)

Thanks :) Kinda crazy to think that two years ago I only had one 55g tank in the house. Right now I have a 120g, 90g bowfront, 3 40g, 20g and 10g all up and running! I think my next project needs to be some kind of rain catching system, to cut down on all the water I'm using.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Finally decided to move the puffer into his own tank. He has been stress line free and super happy ever since.

Trading in the scats for store credit and going to replace all the plants they ate. Gonna take the 60gallon to full fresh water and actually plan the drat thing out.

I dont know if I want to keep the mono pr trade him in. Half tempted to do an archer and some african leaf fish with show plants.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
Snakeheads are going to be difficult, and likely illegal, to acquire. If you're interested in sleek predators that get to a decent size without being tankbusters, may I recommend the saxatalis pike cichlids? They'll max out at about 8 inches and can be kept in a 55 gallon.

Dollar per gallon sales usually only go up to the 55 gallon tank sizes, boooooooo.

Not too much noteworthy is going on with my tanks these days, I am not really adding much stock at the moment. Was able to sell off some neon swordtails and the butterfly goodeids at our local club's fall auction, and picked up some pygmy cories. :3

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Reminder. Snakeheads are voracious predators ruining some local Eco systems in North America because they are an introduced species from Asia. The more boring ones can be found from time to time in the live fish Asian market(illegally).

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Just noticed a few big white dots in my tank on the glass near the bottom. The tank has shrimp, some big zebra snails and some Cory's. Could they be eggs?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

These are cory eggs. Zebra snails lay less and more sparsely.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

I finally decided that desperate times called for drastic measures. I transferred all my fish and plants to a 20g, emptied the tank and dumped the substrate, refilled the tank with Flourite and just added my fish back in today. The tank was previously built using the Walstad method, and while successful, I'm assuming it had something to do with the massive, uncontrollable algae outbreak. I've culled my flora considerably and the water is now as clear as it has ever been and the tank looks much nicer to boot. I'm going to make it a point to do testing on a weekly basis, no exceptions this time. I'm assuming that anything and everything I've added back in has the potential to cause the bloom to start again so here's hoping I don't oversaturate the water with phosphates again.

Neitherman fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 13, 2014

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Does anyone have any recommendations for an air pump? I'm looking to put an air stone under my substrate in a 40 gallon tank.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ironsolid posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an air pump? I'm looking to put an air stone under my substrate in a 40 gallon tank.

The Tetra Whisper line has always worked well for me.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost
Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with fish tanks during a bug spray? My apartment complex recently changed management, and I just got a note from them today saying they'll be in to spray the entire building Thursday morning. Unfortunately they haven't informed me what they're spraying for, what they're spraying with, or why (and if it's roaches, I hope I can convince them not to spray here because I already use Maxforce roach gel), so I'm probably going to have to spend all morning on the phone with them and whoever they hired to do pest control tomorrow. Is there anything I need to do aside from seal up the tanks as tightly as possible and hope the fish are ok? I know sprays are highly toxic to fish which is why I don't ever use them, myself, so I'm not exactly sure what the best course of action is.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So after much pleading from my niece, I broke down and got a fish. :downs:

We ended up going with a male Betta and a 10g tank. It's been in there for several weeks now, and seems to be doing okay. We have a Tetra Whisper 10i filter, which looks to be growing a nice amount of bacteria, and a bunch of gravel in the bottom. I'm looking to get some tankmates and plants to help it live a nice long happy life, and looking for advice on what to add.

Important: This is technically her fish, so she insists on feeding it. As a 5 year old, she is very much in the mindset of more is better, so food is slowly accumulating at the bottom. It would be nice to get some fish that could clean up after her without exploding in population uncontrollably, if possible.

I don't have a cover or a light, but I could get one if I need to.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

KillHour posted:

So after much pleading from my niece, I broke down and got a fish. :downs:

We ended up going with a male Betta and a 10g tank. It's been in there for several weeks now, and seems to be doing okay. We have a Tetra Whisper 10i filter, which looks to be growing a nice amount of bacteria, and a bunch of gravel in the bottom. I'm looking to get some tankmates and plants to help it live a nice long happy life, and looking for advice on what to add.

Important: This is technically her fish, so she insists on feeding it. As a 5 year old, she is very much in the mindset of more is better, so food is slowly accumulating at the bottom. It would be nice to get some fish that could clean up after her without exploding in population uncontrollably, if possible.

I don't have a cover or a light, but I could get one if I need to.

If I were 5 I'd probably enjoy the idea of a few panda corys. They're small, have a whimsical name, and look pretty cute. I'm just not sure how compatible they'd be with a male betta, though I assume if you give them some hiding spots they would be just fine.

Then again, I've seen from people in this thread that they reproduce like crazy, so maybe not...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'm going out of town for the weekend and I don't have anyone to watch my tank. What should I do to make sure everyone is ok while I'm gone? I have live plants, a betta, and six cories in a 30 g.

Neitherman posted:

If I were 5 I'd probably enjoy the idea of a few panda corys. They're small, have a whimsical name, and look pretty cute. I'm just not sure how compatible they'd be with a male betta, though I assume if you give them some hiding spots they would be just fine.

Then again, I've seen from people in this thread that they reproduce like crazy, so maybe not...

I have both in a 30 and they're just fine together.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Are they going to be okay with the gravel, or do I need to replace that with sand? I'd prefer not to have to do that.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

KillHour posted:

Are they going to be okay with the gravel, or do I need to replace that with sand? I'd prefer not to have to do that.

Mine are in a gravel-like substrate and they're doing well. I wouldn't worry about it. Just get some decoration/plants in the tank for all your fish.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Meet the new guys. One of the little fry did, he is no more. These guys are the sexy final solution to the fryish question.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Chichevache posted:

I'm going out of town for the weekend and I don't have anyone to watch my tank. What should I do to make sure everyone is ok while I'm gone? I have live plants, a betta, and six cories in a 30 g.

For a weekend you don't have to worry at all. Barring a prolonged power outage, your tank will be just fine. I've heard that you can go as long as a week without feeding, but I've never tried longer than 3 days.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Also order one of these http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Siphon...rium+gravel+vac or another similar one that has a hand pump to start suctioning the food off the bottom.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Enos Cabell posted:

For a weekend you don't have to worry at all. Barring a prolonged power outage, your tank will be just fine. I've heard that you can go as long as a week without feeding, but I've never tried longer than 3 days.

Thanks. I'm over feeding a bit today and tomorrow, just to be safe. I'll also shorten the light to 11 hours a day to reduce activity from the betta.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Any central Florida goons with a really big loving tank looking for something like this?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I got my new fish and some plants. Definitely looks more like a real aquarium now.

This is the betta that was already in there:

The fish place was out of panda corys, so I picked up some 8 pigmy corys instead. They're so small. :3:

They like to hide near the bottom, so it's hard to get a good picture of them.

Wait. What's that on one of my new plants?

Oh god, it looks like a clutch of eggs! I have stowaways! What do I do goons? Is it safe to wait and see what they are if/when they hatch?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Prolly snail eggs, that's the popular hitchhiker. Myself, if I found them, I'd isolate them in their own container to find out absolutely what they were.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Corys are also fuckmonsters, might be cory eggs? Seem a little tidy for that tho

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't remember exactly which tank the plant came from, but if I remember correctly, there were no snails. There might have been another kind of cory, and probably 1 or 2 other small fresh water types. There were some snails in certain tanks though, so I can't be 100 percent sure.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

KillHour posted:

Oh god, it looks like a clutch of eggs! I have stowaways! What do I do goons? Is it safe to wait and see what they are if/when they hatch?
A jellied cluster like that? Snails, pond or ramshorn.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Not Your Senorita posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with fish tanks during a bug spray? My apartment complex recently changed management, and I just got a note from them today saying they'll be in to spray the entire building Thursday morning. Unfortunately they haven't informed me what they're spraying for, what they're spraying with, or why (and if it's roaches, I hope I can convince them not to spray here because I already use Maxforce roach gel), so I'm probably going to have to spend all morning on the phone with them and whoever they hired to do pest control tomorrow. Is there anything I need to do aside from seal up the tanks as tightly as possible and hope the fish are ok? I know sprays are highly toxic to fish which is why I don't ever use them, myself, so I'm not exactly sure what the best course of action is.

Can someone answer this? I'd like to know of any suggestions, too. Thanks!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Never had to deal with it myself. If anything I'd say cover the aquarium with a sheet of some sort and shut off and wrap your air pump. Let the guys doing the spraying know you've got fish so they can take it easy around your place.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I'm going to be picking up some adorable Cory Sterbai's at the weekend and I'm curious about how they would deal with a grassy tank bottom. Right now I have a gravel base, but as I've been adding more plants and a couple pieces of lovely driftwood, I want to start putting some foreground greenery in too.

Will the Cory's be okay with some lilaeopsis brasiliensis on the bottom? Do you guys have any other recommendations for a nice green carpet?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I think Cory's are okay with pretty much any gravel/substrate you are likely to find for sale these days. I think back in the day they sold stuff that almost like crushed glass which obviously would no good.

As far as them breeding I've kept them for a long time and the only time I ever got them to spawn was via a little but of effort in my part (a week of lavish bloodworm meals and partial water changes with cold water, etc). YMMV of course, but I have never found Cories to be baby fish machines.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Reading through the OP, I saw that goldfish are a bad beginner fish, what should one do if you and your roommates have 4 of them now and would prefer not to spend too much on the tank/upkeep? We are liking the idea of having some fish, but we don't exactly have a lot of spare funds. What could we expect to spend on a tank and monthly expenses?

Also, is it possible to maybe return them without needing the money back? If we can't afford to keep them, or want another fish, I wouldn't want to just flush them :ohdear:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Karl Sharks posted:

Reading through the OP, I saw that goldfish are a bad beginner fish, what should one do if you and your roommates have 4 of them now and would prefer not to spend too much on the tank/upkeep? We are liking the idea of having some fish, but we don't exactly have a lot of spare funds. What could we expect to spend on a tank and monthly expenses?

Also, is it possible to maybe return them without needing the money back? If we can't afford to keep them, or want another fish, I wouldn't want to just flush them :ohdear:

I wouldn't keep 4 goldfish (fancy or common?) in less than a 55 gallon tank. That could run you anywhere from $100 (Used, if you're lucky enough to live in an area with a lot of tanks on craigslist) to $200 for a basic kit from petco/petsmart, to several hundred dollars if you put together a tank with good equipment. Plus a hundred or so for a stand. Monthly expenses will be pretty negligible. Food & Water conditioner are cheap, and you're not talking a significant amount of electricity.

I've never heard of a local fish store that won't take back fish for free, and a lot are even decent about refunds.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In all likelihood they'll just be bought up by people looking for a beginner fish but not doing any research anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Slugworth posted:

I wouldn't keep 4 goldfish (fancy or common?) in less than a 55 gallon tank. That could run you anywhere from $100 (Used, if you're lucky enough to live in an area with a lot of tanks on craigslist) to $200 for a basic kit from petco/petsmart, to several hundred dollars if you put together a tank with good equipment. Plus a hundred or so for a stand. Monthly expenses will be pretty negligible. Food & Water conditioner are cheap, and you're not talking a significant amount of electricity.

I've never heard of a local fish store that won't take back fish for free, and a lot are even decent about refunds.

55 gallons? :stare: I guess that makes sense if they're actually taken care of and allowed to grow.

At least we could just give them back.

SynthOrange posted:

In all likelihood they'll just be bought up by people looking for a beginner fish but not doing any research anyway.

Well, right now they're in a bowl, as in a bowl you might mix a salad in. We have them for such a stupid reason too. Roommate is pledging for a SE Asian fraternity and they did the whole 'blindfold and make you think you're drinking a fish' thing.