Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Living on a boat killed all joy in my life, including creativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

No. I was paid to cook 3.5 meals a day for 26 people on 2, 4 and 7 day cruises. It was very hard work, but very worth it.

well a cruise ship is even better than a large yacht

I think what I was trying to say is : living on small boats sucks. I have done it for a couple months at a time, it blows.

Romeo Reborn
Aug 19, 2014

by Ion Helmet
One of the best meals I've ever had right here

flesy
May 6, 2007
y=mx+b
Is there a party food thread (no) what is neat party food I could make I'm throwing a little thing and Id really like to cook some stuff I saw a recipe for bagel bites and I've never made bagels before so that might be fun but what do you all think? I have access to a nice latin grocery store I work at but am down for whatever!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Put the rice in the cooker and put your finger on top of the rice like you're going to poke it. When the water hits your first knuckle you have the right amount of water.

So how well does this really work? I've done this once and the rice turned out super good. Did it a second time and failed. I figure it may only work for a narrow range of rice volumes/pots. I'm at high altitude too so I think rice may take a little more water? Or maybe just more time, I haven't figured out high elevation rice yet.

My advisor (from Taiwan) once cooked some rice for us. She dumped a bunch of rice into a pot, started pouring some water and just said "yeah this looks good" with no measurement whatsoever and cooked it. Pretty much perfect rice. I guess you just need the magic touch or something?

Also we need to figure out who took Romeo's picture, they might be in danger.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
If you're going the knuckle route, I'd recommend that you use the same cooker at roughly the same elevation for awhile and then you'll through trial and error figure out where exactly on your knuckle on that cooker gives you the magical sexual expression of rice potential that you've been dreaming of. Until then the only constants you have are the cooker and your knuckle. Decent rice will always occur with this rule, but if you want to reach super saiyann mach 3 you have to look into the minutiae

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Eeyo posted:

So how well does this really work? I've done this once and the rice turned out super good. Did it a second time and failed. I figure it may only work for a narrow range of rice volumes/pots. I'm at high altitude too so I think rice may take a little more water? Or maybe just more time, I haven't figured out high elevation rice yet.

My advisor (from Taiwan) once cooked some rice for us. She dumped a bunch of rice into a pot, started pouring some water and just said "yeah this looks good" with no measurement whatsoever and cooked it. Pretty much perfect rice. I guess you just need the magic touch or something?

I'd recommend spending more time cooking rice and less time trying to min/max cooking rice. That's how that Taiwanese person did it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Rice cooker forever. I'm bad at rice. However, if doing it in a pot I use 2 parts water to 1 part rice, by volume.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

You need to soak rice. Doubly so if you're cooking big fat round grains. Fifteen minutes at the least. Just put it under water, then rinse, and add water to cook it. Up to the first joint on my finger of water above the rice is my go-to.

Secondly, and this is gonna make some noise, but the rice needs to be stirred. Oh yes. Bring the rice to a boil, and give it another minute. Then take it off heat, bring out a pair of chopsticks, and stir the rice up from the bottom in one direction only. My Chinese wife freaks the gently caress out every time she sees me do this, but she also grudgingly admits it makes for good rice. At least she doesn't go ballistic like when I salt the rice. Once the rice has been evenly redistributed through the pot, set it on the lowest possible heat under a tight lid. It'll cook in its own steam and residual heat in about fifteen minutes for jasmine, or twenty to twenty-five for round grain. It'll be even better after an hour, and it'll keep warm for a long time. This is pretty close to how Iranians cook their basmati rice for pilafs, with the exception that in their case, the rice will be boiled in ample amounts of salted water for a few minutes, then drained, and then returned to the pot (oil and saffron optional) before steaming in its own heat and moisture until done.

This cooks better rice than a rice cooker, but isn't as newbie-friendly. One less gadget I need to keep in my kitchen, though.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Eeyo posted:

I put my palm against the rice; just barely covering my entire hand with water works for me, and I'm sure the knuckle thing works too. You just learn a thing when you do a thing! I've never used a pot to cook rice. That's just loving weird.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sjurygg posted:

You need to soak rice.

I've never soaked non-wild rice in my life. That's not a credential on its own, but I'm pretty good at making rice for a white guy, in that I can do it perfectly every time without measuring or timing anything. Rinse, boil, simmer, cover. Sometimes I skip rinse, depending on my mood and where I bought the rice. It doesn't need to be soaked. The exact proportion of water to rice isn't that important because the boil-and-simmer part will balance things out as long as the pot isn't dry.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I find it hilarious that one of the most ubiquitous cereals in the history of human evolution still confounds people on its preparation to this day. It's not rocket surgery.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

The Midniter posted:

I find it hilarious that one of the most ubiquitous cereals in the history of human evolution still confounds people on its preparation to this day. It's not rocket surgery.

Totally. I usually add milk to my golden grahams. Sometimes I'll eat it dry. All depends on how much time I want to dedicate to prep in the morning.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

Gosh, people have been grilling and eating meat for millennia, I can't believe they still argue over the best way to do it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

To argue about the best way to cook meat isn't quite the same as "how do I rice?"

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Croatoan posted:

Totally. I usually add milk to my golden grahams. Sometimes I'll eat it dry. All depends on how much time I want to dedicate to prep in the morning.

You sully the names and tradition of Golden Grahams with your unworthy preparation. I make my own Graham Crackers, using the original Sylvester Graham recipe, and only as a treat for the days I haven't had any unhealthy carnal urges. It's not THAT hard to mill your own flour.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Help I tried soaking my Rice Crispies and they got soggy and now they're gross.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

To argue about the best way to cook meat isn't quite the same as "how do I rice?"

I know; I was being partly facetious (and I actually changed cooking to grilling). But it isn't THAT straightforward. Do you rinse? Under running water or a bowl? Cook in rice cooker, pot, or oven? How much water? Relative to rice volume or weight? Do you stir?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Point taken, but again the rice questions aren't usually along the lines of "I'm making thai food but I can't seem to get my sticky rice to turn out like in the restaurant." All of the variables you mention are just different routes to turning dry rice into reasonable food, but with different nuances, and that's more analogous to grilling debate.

More often rice questions are like "I tried to uncle ben and he explode my cooker." An equivalent meat problem might be someone who can't figure out that a piece of meat is going to stick like hell if you throw it into a cold pan without any kind of fat and then turn on the heat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

Point taken, but again the rice questions aren't usually along the lines of "I'm making thai food but I can't seem to get my sticky rice to turn out like in the restaurant." All of the variables you mention are just different routes to turning dry rice into reasonable food, but with different nuances, and that's more analogous to grilling debate.

More often rice questions are like "I tried to uncle ben and he explode my cooker." An equivalent meat problem might be someone who can't figure out that a piece of meat is going to stick like hell if you throw it into a cold pan without any kind of fat and then turn on the heat.

I'm not sure what your point is, given my response and what I was responding to.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My point is that the difficulties that people seem have with rice tend to be even more elementary than the "do you stir?" types of questions.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

My point is that the difficulties that people seem have with rice tend to be even more elementary than the "do you stir?" types of questions.

But that wasn't the type of discussion we were having here. :colbert:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Trip report 50g rice, 76g water, pre-soaked, careful eye on the heat and simmer. poo poo's real, and once it started burning to the bottom of the pot I added my leftover gumbo and felt good, yo.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Trip report: just over 1 rice cooker measure of long grain brown rice, just over 2 measures of water. Rinsed rice under running water, placed in rice cooker with water, pressed ON switch.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Trip Report: Rice, Water, Heat, Time

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

mindphlux posted:

well a cruise ship is even better than a large yacht

I think what I was trying to say is : living on small boats sucks. I have done it for a couple months at a time, it blows.

Are you trolling or just being deliberately obtuse?

I remember the pics from the ship Wrought worked on. Charter and cruise does not equal a Norwegian cruise ship. And the galley in an older boat is loving tiny to work in. She knows what she's talking about.

It's a question of mindset. I've lived on a houseboat that was converted from an old fishing boat, a 38 footer, and I'm a tall guy (6'4" or there abouts in your heathen measurements). I loved it. I've spent months of my life living on a ship on the move, and I loved it.

Would I do it again? Sure, for a weekend. Would I do it on a permanent basis? Hell no. I've grown way too comfortable. But I'd recommend it to anyone who wanted to try something a little different.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Is there any hope for my dream of being able to cook both brown rice and black beans in a zojirushi rice cooker? I assume I need to soak the beans overnight, but last time I tried the rice was fine but the beans were still far too hard. And that's with a brown rice setting that cooks for a while. Perhaps I needed more water?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

nuru posted:

Is there any hope for my dream of being able to cook both brown rice and black beans in a zojirushi rice cooker? I assume I need to soak the beans overnight, but last time I tried the rice was fine but the beans were still far too hard. And that's with a brown rice setting that cooks for a while. Perhaps I needed more water?

If you're working from dry, I think you'll need to cook them separately. Dry beans need 90-120 mins, whereas rice needs far less. I've been using the 90-minute bean method lately, to much success in making all kinds of bean offerings.

Lentils take about the same from dry as rice, if you want to add a non-canned legume that can go in with a single button press.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

If you're working from dry, I think you'll need to cook them separately. Dry beans need 90-120 mins, whereas rice needs far less. I've been using the 90-minute bean method lately, to much success in making all kinds of bean offerings.

Lentils take about the same from dry as rice, if you want to add a non-canned legume that can go in with a single button press.

I think that's right. Alternatively, put the beans in, and after a while the rice.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

CommonShore posted:

I sometimes buy a bag of brown rice and a bag of lentils and mix them together in a tupperware container. A cup of that mix cooks pretty well in my rice cooker with no problems.

Alternatively, a cup of white rice, a tin of tomatoes, a tin of kidney beans, and a tin's worth of water is a good rice cooker meal.

edit - there was a rice cooker meals thread ages ago but it's probably fallen into archives by now

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Steel cut oats in a rice cooker: do I need a fancy zojirushi or will my cheap rice cooker somehow do it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My crockpot does them, so I bet your cheap rice cooker will.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

paraquat posted:

I got a phonecall from a doc who had a patient with an extremely slow heartbeat, he told me she mentioned eating honey. He figured she must've mixed up some jars, but he couldn't understand the words on the jar and he couldn't understand the patient either (Turkish old woman).
The fact that it came from Turkey immediately rang a bell, mad honey! Her son had taken a jar home from a recent trip and forgot to inform his mother.
(mad honey is honey made from the flowers rhododendrons, they contain grayanotoxins....amongst other things, it is meant to raise your libido, that's how many young men get to spend their wedding night in the ER)

Sorry this is from several pages pack but I assume you work in poison control? Do you mind if I ask what the job requirements are for that and what's the job like?

Coming to the end of a master's in toxicology and I've been in school for a while and I'm not sure what sort of job to look for.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Adenoid Dan posted:

Sorry this is from several pages pack but I assume you work in poison control? Do you mind if I ask what the job requirements are for that and what's the job like?

Coming to the end of a master's in toxicology and I've been in school for a while and I'm not sure what sort of job to look for.

The job requirements depend on the country, I'm a biologist for example, but I know of countries that only hire people with a medical degree. Also, most countries answer to the public, we only serve docs and veterinarians, so my experience might not be relevant. Anyway, as toxicology is your thing, working at a poison control center is definitely something I'd recommend. Keep in mind though that, if you take the actual phonecalls, it will probably mean you need to work in shifts (nights, weekends, holidays)...but, it will give you a lot of experience extremely fast.

Just keep your eyes open for any positions, so you can see what the requirements are..or, give them a call.
Actually, if I were you, I'd send them a mail, telling them you're coming to the end of a master's in toxicology and that you would love to walk along with them for a couple of days/a week, to see how poison centers work. That way you can find out all you want to know and if you apply for a job in the future, they already know you.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

As someone who has never experienced them, can someone succinctly explain the seemingly magic appeal around steel cut oats?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

nuru posted:

As someone who has never experienced them, can someone succinctly explain the seemingly magic appeal around steel cut oats?

cut oats are the germ or oat or whatever sliced into segments as I understand it, versus rolled oats (quaker style) which are steamed and flattened. the oat is a little thicker, chewier, etc.

that said oats are oats in my book. idgaf about oats, but I also love oats. all oats are tasty.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux posted:

idgaf about oats, but I also love oats. all oats are tasty.

ANOTHER QUALITY POST, BROUGHT TO YOU BY MINDPHLUX™

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Rolled oats can go a gently caress, steel cut oats are delish.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are also nutrition spergs who insist that the steel cut oats have "more vitamins" and poo poo. They have a bit of a fad status right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For me it's not a nutrition thing, I just like the way they cook up better. But they're a pain in the rear end to cook, which is why I'm asking about the rice cooker. Mine has two settings: white and brown. I guess I'll give the brown rice settng a try and see what happens.