Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The crash to desktop whenever I click the religion button is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm in 796 and have total control of Ireland and have successfully Invaded Pictland.
No-one else in the British Isles can muster more than 2000 troops and I have a 47% chance each year of my Steward finding 3700 troops down the back of his sofa.
On top of the 2500 levies I can call on, plus the 2500 Tribal Force available if I get bored.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Adventurers and their absurd armies are the #1 one reason I haven't played this game in months, and I was kind of looking forward to this expansion. It's a shame that hasn't been fixed.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Gorelab posted:

(Also I wish they'd make it so that the mongols basically vassalized everyone they invaded.)

That's a pretty good idea. Might require a new CB though.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Adventurers and their absurd armies are the #1 one reason I haven't played this game in months, and I was kind of looking forward to this expansion. It's a shame that hasn't been fixed.

A fringe problem that will only affect some games possibly and that is fairly easy to overcome through several methods is enough to stop you from playing? For gods sake if it bothers you that much just use the drat console, adventurers aren't common at all.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I don't think I've ever been beaten or felt threatened by an adventurer.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I don't think I've ever been beaten or felt threatened by an adventurer.
I got my first one the other day (started playing fairly recently) after I had got some pretty serious blobbing done. I was pretty excited to see this whole thing after hearing so much bitching and moaning here about how gamebreaking they were, cos I figured that it'd be cool to have a challenge.

he arrived with an army one eighth the size of my retinue

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Was having fun in my easy just mess around byzantium game until the ability to make viceroys disappeared. Guess I am going to go play something else until the bugs are fixed.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

They were completely broken and spawning with 99,000 if you didn't assassinate them before.

And now I have 15 kids so I don't think the HRE is going to last too long after Charlemagne kicks it. :rip:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Start a game, the king has three wives die due to pneumonia within five years. Start another game, and the king has three wives die of pneumonia within ten years. I'm sensing a problem.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maybe. But there's some fairly important stuff that's broken in this patch, and while it would be fine if we were offered this patch to play, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that we're forced to. That plus the fact we can't finish our current games unless we were willing to take Steam offline last night and leave it offline until we're done.

But I guess if we want to be charitable to Paradox we can say they gave us fair warning of how much time we'd have to finish our current game. I guess I just have this old-fashioned idea that when I buy a game I ought to be able to play it however I want to :corsair:

There's meant to be a rollback version available, but there's some problem getting it to go active on Steam. Will be up ASAP. And while it won't help you now, if you want to avoid being forced to update you can always just copy your CK2 folder to another location and play from there when a new patch is coming.

E: Actually, I am told 2.1.6 is up in the beta tab already.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 15, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Just moving the start date ahead with a mod to 769 still works fine. :laugh:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Lost Season posted:

I found I could raid (and take concubines(??)) as a tribal catholic, so that helped with the income problem, but that still means a good deal of waiting while you wait for shipbuilding tech and the funds to build a shipyard. Of course I don't know if raiding and/or concubines are intended features for tribal catholics, so if they get pulled then yeah, you're going to spend a lot of time sitting on your hands.

Other fun bugs I encountered: fighting battles against allied troops and also attacking holdings previously occupied by my allies, rather than the unoccupied enemy holdings.

No, raiding for tribals is intentional. I'm surprised you found anyone to raid, though; you're not allowed to raid anyone of the same religion as you. Which makes even less sense than restricting raiding to tribals/pagans. :sigh:

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Blobbing is still quite possible under the new regime. I had been aiming for the SPQR achievement as the Roman Empire before the patch hit, but still had a few stragglers to mop up, and expected the empire the explode when I loaded it up last night. I had to reduce my retinues by about 60% to get under the new cap and keep the costs under control. I'm now paying about 30 gold a month just to keep them around, and they are hugely expensive if they lose a few troops to battle or attrition - the monthly costs go into the 100s. I've had to use the buttons that regulate the reinforcement of retinues for the first time, and can no longer rely on retinues alone for conquest and defence against jihads.

I had to create and give out a ton of kingdoms to get under the vassal cap, which, on top of the retinue costs, was very expensive, but once I finished the housekeeping the empire returned to stability and I have a decent monthly income, though not as much as before.

So the empire is stable but substantially less powerful, and I have to use more of the mechanics of the game rather than relying on free retinues to stomp everyone, so the changes are very positive in my opinion. Of course, that's with a huge empire already built up. I don't know how more difficult they will be to form.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

For the record, I played a century yesterday and didn't encounter any bugs. At least, no bugs that I couldn't see being WAD for some really stupid value of D. Converting to a republic converts all holdings you own with a level 4 market to a city- but not any eligible ones owned by tribal vassals. Said vassals don't seem to want to convert themselves, either, even when you build all the buildings for them. I can't seem to revoke tribal titles for free, either, though I'm fairly certain I'm supposed to be able to (or was that just for castle-holders?). Oh, and if you take a new tribal holding, upgrade it and then convert it to a city, it shows up in the chronicle with the same message as converting to a republic the first time did. So I have abandoned my tribal ways and founded the glorious Pictish Republic eight times now, apparently.

It also seems really easy to get up to absolute tribal authority or whatever it's called- you can push it forwards every five or ten years or so, and no one ever seems to vote against it. That makes it basically irrelevant. :shrug:

Also also Wales isn't tribal? I guess you could argue that the English don't qualify (I think I'd put the transition with Alfred, though), but Wales? This poo poo is mad farcical.

Also also also, regions of India that were still tribal under the British Raj are fully paid up feudals in 769. Is the scenario this bad everywhere?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So, uh, don't convert to a merchant republic with your first possible city out of a domain of a dozen counties. The game doesn't explode, but man does it not treat you gently.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Said vassals don't seem to want to convert themselves, either, even when you build all the buildings for them.

Oh, okay, they'll happily convert themselves to feudalism. Even when they are in fact Patricians.

Does anyone have a cacking_johan.gif because I think I could do with one right about now.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Huh. Aren't norse supposed to be able to have conquest CB on each other? For some reason I don't have any CB on anyone else in scandanavia.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Mantis42 posted:

So giving retinues a monthly upkeep cost makes them worst than levies and mercenaries and therefore utterly pointless. This is what you get when you put the old EU4 balance team on a good game.

I'm playing as Charlemagne now, I've got a retinue of 6400(8120 point value) and I'm paying just a bit over 2 gold per month, so it's not that bad. I'm still making 11 gold per month. I'm really liking the changes to retinues, but I haven't tried playing as a smaller ruler, though. I haven't noticed any bugs either, as a Christian feudal ruler.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Also creating a Kingdom with the duchy of Uppsala ends up with you getting a kingdom with the norse name for Sweden. When gavelkind splits it and normal Sweden it... ends up silly after trying to take back the old land. I ended up modding out the second Sweden from my character.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 15, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gorelab posted:

Huh. Aren't norse supposed to be able to have conquest CB on each other? For some reason I don't have any CB on anyone else in scandanavia.

No.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Got the patch and as predicted, my realm is completely screwed up. After painstakingly offering up all the vassals I could to my kings and dukes, I still had way more than the limit allowed, so I'm making no money whatsoever and my levies are at 0. Guess I'll wait for this to get resolved somehow.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
But you can't raid your neighbouring provinces anymore, since everyone and their grandmothers are independent.

I still managed to form the Empire of Rogaland, but it took some time. And then, after taking on Braunschweig and Zeeland (and some other other countries on the way to get pretty borders), the pope ordered a crusade on me in the 800 and somethings. Makes me kinda not want to go to Jerusalem and Mekka and make them Germanic.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

OddObserver posted:

Really liking the new pagan counselor actions.
Not so liking the Linux version CTDing so much. I guess I need to fire up the jet engine...

Seems there's a Linux bug related to threading, but as a workaround you can start your game with the -threads=1 commandline argument.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Also elective gavelkind seems insanely bad about giving your current capital away. I love it in general but that plus the whole Sweden Sweden thing should probably be jiggered with a bit.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
You could argue that the Sweden-Sweden split is something like the historical Sicily-Sicily (Naples) one. :v:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So, I left the game running over night. One thing I noticed was that the game seems to run slower. Used to be I could get through 200 years plus over night, now I just made it to 1044. Also, OH GOD OH MAN.

I have the feeling the Abbasids are just going to roll at this rate, though they currently are over the vassal limit by a good bit and seem to be making no effort to solve that problem.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
If you are having issues with adventurers then you really aren't using all of the tools you have available to you. Alliances with powerful and useful neighbours is one particular tool available to even the battle.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So the neighboring duchy was owned by a guy who I was his heir so I had him killed so that's okay. However it contained 4 counties which I wanted to own them all. I managed to get two of them and was working on the last two. I plotted to kill a guy and he went into hiding. This never seemed to go anywhere because it seemed like he could stay in hiding forever so I stopped plotting to kill him. I think next I will declare some minor war and put him in charge of the smallest army I can and then charge him head first into the enemy. Overall I would have 8 counties once I get them all with 2 duchies and are going to fill them all with cities to make me rich.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Another Person posted:

If you are having issues with adventurers then you really aren't using all of the tools you have available to you. Alliances with powerful and useful neighbours is one particular tool available to even the battle.

I dont had any great difficulties with adventurers, they were always manageable to me and usually comes mid, late game, and is never that hard.

Still, it is dumb as gently caress that a random joe in England can all of a sudden raise an army bigger than Persia out of thin air, for example. Makes less sense than an aztec invasion of Europe, and that's why I dont like it.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Isn't it more of a cause for something that CK2 can't really emulate wtihout stuff like that. Like in game a sane norman invasion of Sicily would be put down in an instant, so you kinda have to give them enough troops to have a chance.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This thread makes it sound like adventurers pop up every other month; I haven't seen one gunning for me since SoA came out :shrug:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
The game keeps crashing at the loading screen in the beginning right as it's "Calculating paths", a reinstall didn't fix the problem...

EDIT: The problem seems to have fixed itself, what the gently caress?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Funky Valentine posted:

This thread makes it sound like adventurers pop up every other month; I haven't seen one gunning for me since SoA came out :shrug:

Its random, I guess. In my last game I had like 4 in less then 10 years in one occasion. In another, I had 2 at the same time.

EDIT: I guess they could make it so adventurers will strike when the nation is weakened (like in the middle of a civil war, for example), so they can have a believable number of armies and still be a challenge. Makes a lot more sense to me

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 15, 2014

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

TheMcD posted:

So, I left the game running over night. One thing I noticed was that the game seems to run slower. Used to be I could get through 200 years plus over night, now I just made it to 1044. Also, OH GOD OH MAN.

I have the feeling the Abbasids are just going to roll at this rate, though they currently are over the vassal limit by a good bit and seem to be making no effort to solve that problem.

I left mine running for about an hour and the Abbasids, along with Umayyad where just steamrolling the Europe nations.

On the other hand, the new Orthodox heresy becoming the main Orthodox religion seems to make the game crash.

quote:

Adventure talk

I seem to be the odd one in that every game I get about 3/4 Adventure events against me, the majority of the time they are equal or greater than my total force limits, I ended up doing a huge rage quit when two went off within two years against my long hard worked Jewish Abyssinia, both being 3 times my complete retinue and levy size

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 15, 2014

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think whenever you save and reload a game you lose viceroys. At least it did when I tested it as Byzantium. What a hilariously obvious bug.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Funky Valentine posted:

Jesus christ the county names in Ireland now.

Yeah, I'm not fond of this at all. The only bad thing about King leaving Paradox is now I fear the same poo poo will happen to Scotland, too.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Decided to run a game in observer mode to see what the AI'd be up to when this happened:

:what:

Karloman's 7 year old son is king now, this could be promising!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Kainser posted:

Yeah, that really should be added to regular Gavelkind as well to make it harder to exploit.

e; Also Zunism is the greatest faith

Could someone spill the beans on the details of Zunism? I'm not all that interested in the Charlemagne stuff, but new religions to play with are always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ratpick posted:

Could someone spill the beans on the details of Zunism? I'm not all that interested in the Charlemagne stuff, but new religions to play with are always fun.

Think the non-Norse/Tengri pagans, only even more hosed by positioning.

EDIT: also, they have a holy site in Egypt for some godforsaken reas - oh, Ra, right.

• Locked thread