Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Really glad they aren't going for a drat love triangle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The GIG posted:

Really glad they aren't going for a drat love triangle

Well, I think they are hinting at that, but they've got a alternative in place for the likely loser.

Fumina confirmed for team strategist, I guess. Better combat performance this episode, too - we saw that she could indeed dominate the rival club leader when she didn't have to worry about Sekai, and she got to finish off the Agrissa despite being fried by its plasma-field.

Also, seems Sekai can read minds by punching people, G Gundam-style. That diversifies his skillset a little, I guess, and makes the name of his Gundam an even more hilarious coincidence.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean its obvious they are drawing inspiration from G gundam and thought it was under represented in build fighters. Just look at the school emblem in the loving kenpogi.

Its

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 15, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I mean its obvious they are drawing inspiration from G gundam and thought it was under represented in build fighters. Just look at the school emblem in the loving kenpogi.

Oh, I know, but apparently, when someone pointed out that the God Gundam was called the Burning Gundam in the West, the staff went "... huh. We did not know that."

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Also, best line of the episode:

"Are you pretending to be a Newtype?!"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Fumina calling Ral out on his cliche lines was also fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Fumina confirmed for team strategist, I guess. Better combat performance this episode, too - we saw that she could indeed dominate the rival club leader when she didn't have to worry about Sekai, and she got to finish off the Agrissa despite being fried by its plasma-field.

I came here to post the exact opposite.

She got taken out by an unexpected gimmick and needed to be rescued from Captain Grabbyhands. He used a 'cheat' but oh look, it was mysteriously Fumina who got caught by it, subjected to a bunch of creepy lines and had to be rescued. The only way she 'finished off the Agrissa" was by shooting it after Sekai already tore it to pieces and it was helpless.

This episode basically confirmed my fears. She got to blow up a single character. The only other girl pilot who was portrayed as being a terrible pilot and an easy kill who intentionally threw the match.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 15, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

She got taken out by an unexpected gimmick and needed to be rescued from Captain Grabbyhands. The only way she 'finished off the Agrissa" was by shooting it after Sekai already tore it to pieces and it was helpless.

You have severe issues with build fighters.

She was clearly dominating him and her strategy was the reason that allowed them to be in a dominant position in the first place. She got captured sure, but she still was trying to escape and continued to fight after she was let go.

e- seriously take a few step back, she's shown more drive and agency in two episodes than the rest of the cast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You have sever issues with build fighters.

She was clearly dominating him and her strategy was the reason that allowed them to be in a dominant position in the first place. She got captured sure, but she still was trying to escape and continued to fight after she was let go.

She wasn't clearly dominating him. His cockpit wasn't even yellow yet. He pulled out his secret weapon and she was helpless. She also 'continued to fight' by struggling while her robot exploded and then getting an entirely perfunctory shot on an already defeated enemy.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e- seriously take a few step back, she's shown more drive and agency in two episodes than the rest of the cast.

She, like the female cast members in the original Build Fighters, is a great character who, (so far), like the female cast members in the original Build Fighters is being used as the punching bag and rescue object for the male cast members.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

She wasn't clearly dominating him. His cockpit wasn't even yellow yet. He pulled out his secret weapon and she was helpless. She also 'continued to fight' by struggling while her robot exploded and then getting an entirely perfunctory shot on an already defeated enemy.

He was driven to the point that he had to use his illegal trump card. If the fight continued as it was before he used it she would have beaten him. That it the definition of being in a "dominant" position, a position of superiority.

Seriously you come off as a major :qq: in this thread when it comes to the female characters specially when Fumina is so far the best out of the 3 protagonists.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I love Fumina being baffled when she saw that Eri had sortied in a Hobby Hizack.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ImpAtom posted:

She got taken out by an unexpected gimmick and needed to be rescued from Captain Grabbyhands. He used a 'cheat' but oh look, it was mysteriously Fumina who got caught by it, subjected to a bunch of creepy lines and had to be rescued. The only way she 'finished off the Agrissa" was by shooting it after Sekai already tore it to pieces and it was helpless.

This episode basically confirmed my fears. She got to blow up a single character. The only other girl pilot who was portrayed as being a terrible pilot and an easy kill who intentionally threw the match.

Ehhh, Sei and Reiji got disabled by the Apsalus III and had to have Mao save them. It's pretty clear that Fumina is stronger than the model club prez since he needed to cheat to turn the tide against her. I would have liked it more if Fumina had gotten the kill shot on the model club prez but this was Yuuma's focus episode so I'll let it slide.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He was driven to the point that he had to use his illegal trump card. If the fight continued as it was before he used it she would have beaten him. That it the definition of being in a "dominant" position, a position of superiority.

Seriously you come off as a major :qq: in this thread when it comes to the female characters specially when Fumina is so far the best out of the 3 protagonists.

His 'trump card' was illegal in tournament regulations, but not there and he pretty obviously came into the match knowing that and build his Gunpla to take advantage of that. He even says as much.Sekai even says that Yuu's excuse for helping her is him hiding his real reason (because he wants to play Gunpla Battle with her.)

Considering that tricks, gimmicks and special abilities are the name of the Gunpla Battle game, it's pretty dishonest to go "no, see, this time it doesn't count, he was cheating" in a series where magical kung-fu and a Gunpla hidden inside a second Gunpla are legitimate tactics.

Because I want to like Build Fighters more than I do but it has extremely serious issues with allowing its female characters to do anything in combat. It really does make it less fun to watch because Fumina is otherwise my favorite character.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 15, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

As long as we're continuing the discussion,

Yuuma spent the entirety of the episode either on the back foot or getting his clock cleaned by the most amazing/awful Wing kitbash I've ever seen.

So we have that as well.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Pureauthor posted:

As long as we're continuing the discussion,

Yuuma spent the entirety of the episode either on the back foot or getting his clock cleaned by the most amazing/awful Wing kitbash I've ever seen.

So we have that as well.

For a second I was pretty excited for a Deathscythe/Ashtaron combo or something, that would be weird/cool. That scene was too dark for my eyes to make out fully through.

I hope Fumino gets to keep kicking rear end with strategy and overwhelming gun fire.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Did anyone else notice the Build Burning docking with what appears to be the Winning Gundam transformed in to a giant fist during the OP?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

Did anyone else notice the Build Burning docking with what appears to be the Winning Gundam transformed in to a giant fist during the OP?

Huh, you're right I think. It's kind of hard to tell though. It's the same shade as yellow but that just might mean it is something Fumina built for him. If it is That is probably why it is SD, so it can transform into a punchfist for Burning. It's also explain why they haven't shown its "transformation gimmick" mentioned in the promo material.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

His 'trump card' was illegal in tournament regulations, but not there and he pretty obviously came into the match knowing that and build his Gunpla to take advantage of that. He even says as much.Sekai even says that Yuu's excuse for helping her is him hiding his real reason (because he wants to play Gunpla Battle with her.)

Considering that tricks, gimmicks and special abilities are the name of the Gunpla Battle game, it's pretty dishonest to go "no, see, this time it doesn't count, he was cheating" in a series where magical kung-fu and a Gunpla hidden inside a second Gunpla are legitimate tactics.

Because I want to like Build Fighters more than I do but it has extremely serious issues with allowing its female characters to do anything in combat.

The fight followed championship regulations, hence why they did a 3 on 3. They spent a few minutes going over that the reason why they were being challenged is because they couldn't even field a group to go to the nationals.

You are being irrationally sensitive to Fumina to the point that its hampering your enjoyment of the show. You probably would be having a field day if she cried on every episode. (Im calling you the broken loose of this thread)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

He spent the battle on the back foot with her until he pulled his trump card. That's why he kept bitching at Yuuma to give him supporting fire, because she was kicking his rear end. She might've been beaten into yellow, but he's using a goddamn Enact. One good hit would kill it (whereas the Powered GM's a slower heavy-armor design meant to endure abuse), so of course he's dodging like mad.

ImpAtom posted:

There's a difference between a secret weapon onboard the Gunpla and throwing a whole new big-rear end machine onto the field.

Luminaflare posted:

It's too small. It's just a big-rear end fist and a bit of a knuckle guard, too small to be the Winning. I like to think at some point in the next few episodes they'll run into Sei and he'll just go "oh hey, you found it? Here, have a box of accessory parts for it :v:"

I swore I wasn't going to get anymore Boosters, and then they threw that in the OP right after I'd finished building my new Build Burning Gundam :negative:.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I didn't think it was as good as the first episode. Fight wasn't as good and they replaced the lighthearted comedy with generic melodrama until around the post credits bit.

Yuuma's a pretty boring dude, would have liked to see that story told from Fuumina's perspective instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The fight followed championship regulations, hence why they did a 3 on 3. They spent a few minutes going over that the reason why they were being challenged is because they couldn't even field a group to go to the nationals.

You are being irrationally sensitive to Fumina to the point that its hampering your enjoyment of the show. You probably would be having a field day if she cried on every episode. (Im calling you the broken loose of this thread)

Except, again, he specifically said that they were not using those rules. Your argument is that he lost the second he docked with the Agrissa and everything after that was meaningless because their team already should have been disqualified by the refs.

I don't really think I am, no. This is coming off the original Build Fighters which had a similar problem with its cast and I'll gladly point out it isn't just Fumina. Eri, the only other female gunpla pilot we've seen in this series so far, instantly threw her fight so that a boy would like her.

Sharkopath posted:

Yuuma's a pretty boring dude, would have liked to see that story told from Fuumina's perspective instead.

Yuu is insanely boring so far. The only good thing about him is he hilariously reacts to having a crush by acting like his sister.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I ended up liking the main character more than I thought I would, that enthusiasm is infectious.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Whoa whoa don't say things to people that you can't take back! Nobody deserves that!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

I ended up liking the main character more than I thought I would, that enthusiasm is infectious.

She's proving to be a really competent tactician too. She got a good read on the lineup right from the get-go and put Sekai to use hunting Yuuma down while she drew their attention with her tank of a GM.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If you wanted to be specific, I think structuring fights around the fight itself lets you be way more open and creative with how they go down, when you have to tie them to specific story beats you want to hit it weakens it overall and also absolutely destroys any mystery or tension. Once Fuumina got electrokidnapped you knew how it was going to end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

If you wanted to be specific, I think structuring fights around the fight itself lets you be way more open and creative with how they go down, when you have to tie them to specific story beats you want to hit it weakens it overall and also absolutely destroys any mystery or tension. Once Fuumina got electrokidnapped you knew how it was going to end.

Agreed, though I'm kinda willing to let it slide on this one, simply because it looked like the writers just wanted to jump the hurdle of getting Yuuma on the team and be done with it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She's proving to be a really competent tactician too. She got a good read on the lineup right from the get-go and put Sekai to use hunting Yuuma down while she drew their attention with her tank of a GM.

Oh I wish Fuumina was the main character. Sekai is like that red head dude from the last season but way more appealing as a character to me, I don't know exactly why.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's because I too have the soul of a warrior inside me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really think I am, no. This is coming off the original Build Fighters which had a similar problem with its cast and I'll gladly point out it isn't just Fumina. Eri, the only other female gunpla pilot we've seen in this series so far, instantly threw her fight so that a boy would like her. [/spoiler]

She was a model builder and she probably got press ganged into it by the president since she was the only other person who could. He expected to coast by on Yuuma's ridiculously powerful gunpla since he knew full well that Fumina couldn't get a 3rd person overnight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He spent the battle on the back foot with her until he pulled his trump card. That's why he kept bitching at Yuuma to give him supporting fire, because she was kicking his rear end. She might've been beaten into yellow, but he's using a goddamn Enact. One good hit would kill it (whereas the Powered GM's a slower heavy-armor design meant to endure abuse), so of course he's dodging like mad.

He asked Yuuma to give him support fire exactly once. She was beating his Enact form but, again, that is because she didn't know the full extent of his abilities and misjudged the rules of the fight. (Again, unless you're arguing that they won the second he pulled out the Agrissa, which means they kept the battle going for no reason.)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a difference between a secret weapon onboard the Gunpla and throwing a whole new big-rear end machine onto the field.

Eh, not really. The Agrissa is a normal canonical add-on for that machine type. We've already seen multiple units in the original show which included independent machines as part of their lineup. The DX in the original show had G-Bits for Christ's sake. We're told the Agrissa is against the rules in regulation fights but in terms of actual Gunpla battles, that's been a fairly regular thing that characters have done. It wouldn't have been considered cheating against Sei and Reiji.

Sharkopath posted:

Oh I wish Fuumina was the main character. Sekai is like that red head dude from the last season but way more appealing as a character to me, I don't know exactly why.

Sekai's kind of a good-natured dork. I like Fumina better but they're both better than Yuu who is like no-personality-man so far. He has room to improve at least.11

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 15, 2014

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, not really. The Agrissa is a normal canonical add-on for that machine type. We've already seen multiple units in the original show which included independent machines as part of their lineup. The DX in the original show had G-Bits for Christ's sake. We're told the Agrissa is against the rules in regulation fights but in terms of actual Gunpla battles, that's been a fairly regular thing that characters have done. Nobody would have called it cheating against Sei and Reiji.

It seems like the rules have changed for 3 player team battles. I'm really looking forward to a bunch of weird team compositions, they'll itch my Gundam Extreme Vs urges.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Oh god I hope whoever that guy is using the Destiny in the OP builds a sweet custom version that I can get a kit of.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 15, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

It seems like the rules have changed for 3 player team battles. I'm really looking forward to a bunch of weird team compositions, they'll itch my Gundam Extreme Vs urges.

Oh, the rules have unarguably changed and Fumina made a mistake assuming they were fighting under tournament rules , I'm just saying that 'there's a difference' doesn't really make sense. It's a perfectly valid tactic for a hidden gimmick as long as the rules don't forbid it and one people were using before in various ways. I mean, again, little green army men armed with explosives and a mobile independent backpack? Totally valid last season.

ActionZero posted:

Oh god I hope whoever that guy is using the Destiny builds a sweet custom version that I can get a kit of.

The Destiny looks really weirdly uncustomized. I wonder why, it's kinda strange to see what amounts to a default build in the OP. The only difference is that it appears to have a Shining Finger instead of an open-palm shooter.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Maybe the dude's shtick is that he's so skilled in battle he can get by on uncustomized models.

... Maybe Bandai discovered a huge stack of vanilla Destiny kits in a warehouse and they want to get rid of them quick.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I'm pulling for Neo Zeong, one of those 1/24 RX kits, and a Zgok.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

While Reiji was an alien newtype prince, Sekai's just a dorky dude way too into fighting.
Also him talking with his fist reminds me of Digimon Savers in the best way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm pulling for Neo Zeong, one of those 1/24 RX kits, and a Zgok.

Based off what the promo material said, there may be a specific rule that you can field 3 mobile suits or one mobile armor. Which is kind of a weird-rear end rule considering what constitutes a mobile armor but they mentioned there would be 3v1 mobile armor fights in addition to 3v3 suit fights. So probably you can have one Neo-Zeong on the field at a time.

Because otherwise the Gunpla Field collapses under the weight!

That would also probably be why the Agrissa is against the rules because it technically transforms the Enact into a mobile armor.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Based off what the promo material said, there may be a specific rule that you can field 3 mobile suits or one mobile armor. Which is kind of a weird-rear end rule considering what constitutes a mobile armor but they mentioned there would be 3v1 mobile armor fights in addition to 3v3 suit fights. So probably you can have one Neo-Zeong on the field at a time.

Because otherwise the Gunpla Field collapses under the weight!

Even the mobile armours that aren't giant stompy deathmachines tend to have other major advantages over mobile suits, like powerful guns or ridiculous manoeuvrability.

Sod the Big Zam and Psyco Gundams, I'm rooting for a fight against a goddamned Rafflesia.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The really important question is: What's the Destroy and/or the Psyco classified as?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Even the mobile armours that aren't giant stompy deathmachines tend to have other major advantages over mobile suits, like powerful guns or ridiculous manoeuvrability.

Sod the Big Zam and Psyco Gundams, I'm rooting for a fight against a goddamned Rafflesia.

For the most part, yeah, but like the G-Fighter combined with Gundam or the Moebius from SEED are also both Mobile Armors. I'd feel bad for the guy who wanted to customize his Moebius and is stuck fighting 3v1 because of it.

Pureauthor posted:

The really important question is: What's the Destroy and/or the Psyco classified as?

Both are mobile Armors.

Edit: Wow, I went to look on the Japanese wiki and it turns out in the UC it is Mobile ARMOR, not Mobile Armor. It stands for "All Range Maneuverability Offence Utility Reinforcement" Looks like the source is Gundam Century.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 15, 2014

• Locked thread