Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So glad I looked up this thread, ton of useful info, thanks op and everyone! I had a look through for actual wok recommendations but I guess most of you guys are in cities with a decent chinatown - I'm in a small town in the UK and don't have access to somewhere like that. Should I just go for a Ken Hom steel thing like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ken-Hom-professional-carbon-steel/dp/B0000CC51A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1410883683&sr=8-5&keywords=carbon+steel+wok (...if I can find it in 14" size) or is there something I should be ordering instead?

Also I'm curious as to what you guys think of this recipe: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/8267413/Chicken-fried-rice-recipe.html
I did it a few times when I had access to a proper wok (i.e. not non-stick) last year and it came out really great, love that chilli bean sauce. I have no idea whether it's in any way 'authentic' however; it just tastes pretty close to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Looks like a decent recipe although certainly not what I'm used to - I finish my fried rice with soy sauce, green onions, and a little sesame oil, but regardless the technique is right. Fried rice is one of those things that you can do any way you want as long as you understand the basic process.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Never seen this before, anyone know how it's used?

The Nanjing themed place here has a soup dish of soft tofu and shrimp roe. I wonder if they could be interchanged.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

When I was in China, I had a dish that was a Northwestern Chinese dish. If I remember correctly, it was a lamb dish with chili peppers and onions, and is very similar to "Cumin Lamb" that you can get at good restaurants in America. The main difference was that, in American restaurants, it's usually swimming in oil, but when I had it in China, it was dry as a bone.

Does anyone know if there's a specific name for the dish I had? Xinjiang Lamb seems to be somewhat close as an all-encompassing "lamb with a lot of cumin", but is there a specific name for the dry-as-a-bone kind I had?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just had some lamb last week :smug: But the English and Chinese names were "Cumin Lamb". When it comes to the amount of oil used, I think it depends on how the dish was made. The finer sliced lamb tends to be swimming in oil, but the ones with bigger chunks of lamb stuck to the bone was pretty dry.

At the People's Republic of China Autonomous Region of Xinjiang Bureau of Uighur Affair's Shenzhen Office - Kitchen.

If you want good regional cuisine in China, the [region affair's office] is the place to go. They have restaurants catering to party members so you know that the food is clean, and it has to be legit.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

El Grillo posted:

So glad I looked up this thread, ton of useful info, thanks op and everyone! I had a look through for actual wok recommendations but I guess most of you guys are in cities with a decent chinatown - I'm in a small town in the UK and don't have access to somewhere like that. Should I just go for a Ken Hom steel thing like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ken-Hom-professional-carbon-steel/dp/B0000CC51A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1410883683&sr=8-5&keywords=carbon+steel+wok (...if I can find it in 14" size) or is there something I should be ordering instead?

Also I'm curious as to what you guys think of this recipe: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/8267413/Chicken-fried-rice-recipe.html
I did it a few times when I had access to a proper wok (i.e. not non-stick) last year and it came out really great, love that chilli bean sauce. I have no idea whether it's in any way 'authentic' however; it just tastes pretty close to me.

The wok looks fine. A flat bottom is essential for use on home stoves in the west. Ken Hom is pretty solid about everything regarding Chinese cuisine, so I'd trust the recipe too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Shnooks posted:

I remember once I had to, but the one I just bought, it's like nearly impossible to pull the casing off. My boyfriend is a butcher who's "specialty" is sausages and he was absolutely no help, saying it looked synthetic and I should pull it off, but I think he was trying to get me to shut up about it.

I've never removed casing on lap cheong

Fluo
May 25, 2007

gret posted:

The wok looks fine. A flat bottom is essential for use on home stoves in the west. Ken Hom is pretty solid about everything regarding Chinese cuisine, so I'd trust the recipe too.

Yeah I 100% agree. Also I highly recommend checking out Ken Hom & Ching-He Huang's Exploring China: A Culinary Adventure tv series. :)

Four episodes here (aswell as Hairy Bikers round Asia): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnQjxOfcLAGvT4UWhSiyhUFNi63PsY8yu The Hong Kong one was very interesting and good. :)

Fluo fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 26, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

SgtScruffy posted:

When I was in China, I had a dish that was a Northwestern Chinese dish. If I remember correctly, it was a lamb dish with chili peppers and onions, and is very similar to "Cumin Lamb" that you can get at good restaurants in America. The main difference was that, in American restaurants, it's usually swimming in oil, but when I had it in China, it was dry as a bone.

Does anyone know if there's a specific name for the dish I had? Xinjiang Lamb seems to be somewhat close as an all-encompassing "lamb with a lot of cumin", but is there a specific name for the dry-as-a-bone kind I had?

Xingjiang lamb is what my favorite local Chinese restaurant calls that dish. They serve it dry, though. It's one of my favorite non-noodle and non-soup dishes they serve.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Made some dumplings

https://vimeo.com/107365584

Half a kilo of ground pork loin, half a kilo of some veggies, and a handful of some dried mushrooms.

1. Wash veggies, and blanch them for 20 seconds in a pot. Take them out, cut into pieces and press the water out of the vegetables. If the mixture gets too wet, then your wrapping will just break apart.

2. Soak dried mushrooms into water, take them out and dice.

3. Mix everything together in a bowl.

4. Wrap them in the dumpling wrapping, lots of asian stores sell it. If it's premade wrap then dabble a dash of water to seal them up!

Use leftovers as a meat loaf or something

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I bought my wok from the Wok Shop in SF a while ago, cleaned the poo poo out of it, then put it in the oven to begin sealing it after coating it with oil. I then cooked with it for a bit, but then coated it in oil and stopped cooking for a bit. I've now recently brought it out again and it seems to have absorbed the oil from storage and is now relatively non-stick, with only hot water and a paper towel needed to clean up.

Question though: I'm not sure how a young wok is supposed to look. Does mine look fine so far? Should I be concerned with the gummed-up oil near the edges from the sealing process?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

gret posted:

Thanks man, I didn't see this and eventually went with this basic 34cm/14-inch carbon steel one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...7&pf_rd_i=typ01

Not sure how the construction quality will be but I couldn't find an uncoated Ken Hom one that was this size; I tend to do pretty big stir-fries, just because of the quantities that meats tend to come in. It's arriving tomorrow, pretty psyched about tempering it and giving it a whirl with some fried rice!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I was going to say I was amazed that caberham had time to make dumplings what with him also being on the streets protesting for democracy but then I saw he bought premade wrappers like a nong pleb. For shame sir!

stay safe! :ohdear:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

caberham posted:

Made some dumplings

https://vimeo.com/107365584

Half a kilo of ground pork loin, half a kilo of some veggies, and a handful of some dried mushrooms.

1. Wash veggies, and blanch them for 20 seconds in a pot. Take them out, cut into pieces and press the water out of the vegetables. If the mixture gets too wet, then your wrapping will just break apart.

2. Soak dried mushrooms into water, take them out and dice.

3. Mix everything together in a bowl.

4. Wrap them in the dumpling wrapping, lots of asian stores sell it. If it's premade wrap then dabble a dash of water to seal them up!

Use leftovers as a meat loaf or something

How would you recommend cooking them?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

This is going to sound really dumb but what is this?? It looks goddamn tasty and I've been unable to find a corresponding recipe in the thread.

Finally got the new wok, seasoned it (terribly; too hot and way too much oil on the paper, but it's cooking perfectly fine) and made my chicken egg fried rice. Was goddamn delicious!

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Fluo posted:

How would you recommend cooking them?

You have 3 options.

1) steam
2) pan fry
3) steam then pan fry

I'm disappointed at the lack of Chinese Chives.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Can anyone give me some advice about what to do with canned seitan/mock duck/wheat gluten? I've tried it in a few recipes so far - it went a bit tough when I tried frying it but very nice when I wrapped it in foil with a curry paste and baked it for a couple of hours. It's a good vegetarian source of protein and it tastes good, so I want to be able to eat more of it, but the texture keeps going weird if I cook it any other way. What else can I do with it?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Usually red-braised with dark soy and rock sugar.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sweet sauce with broccoli

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

El Grillo posted:

This is going to sound really dumb but what is this?? It looks goddamn tasty and I've been unable to find a corresponding recipe in the thread.

Finally got the new wok, seasoned it (terribly; too hot and way too much oil on the paper, but it's cooking perfectly fine) and made my chicken egg fried rice. Was goddamn delicious!

Looks like beef and bok choy. Probably can't go wrong with the standard stir fry techniques used in some of the other similar recipes.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

El Grillo posted:

What Hobohemian said, beef and bok choi. It's best to use medium to thinly sliced flank steak. Extremely easy and fast recipe. Marinate the beef with salt, pepper, and a few dashes of light soy. You can use the seafood soy sauce if you want it to have a slightly sweeter taste. Dice up some garlic and onions; pop the garlic before you start caramelizing the onions. After that, throw in your bok choI until desired doneness. Throw in your beef after; it should only take like 3-4 mins to cook. It done right, it should be medium rare. While you're tossing everything in the wok, pour a few dashes of oyster sauce, don't forget the oyster sauce! If you desire a thicker sauce to mix with rice or something you can mix in some corn starch and water (this is fairly common in sauce-y stir frys).

Should take you 10-15 min tops to cook and 20-30 min for marinade.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Sjurygg posted:

Usually red-braised with dark soy and rock sugar.

Thanks! I'm giving Gravity's red-braised pork recipe a try with seitan and so far the odd bits I've pinched out of the pan have been delicious! Going to try making dumplings with the leftovers as a replacement for pork once it's cooled too.

edit:

Made steamed dumplings filled with the seitan along with some vegetables, garlic and ginger. I tried a pinching and twisting technique for sealing them I saw on YouTube and carefully sealed them, but as soon as I put them in the steamer they burst open and somehow they ended up like this...

Still tasted good though, they were just more like tartlets than buns. I suspect I didn't knead the dough enough, it kept going a bit flaky.

Stottie Kyek fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 4, 2014

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Are chinese chives known as something else? I look around every now and then at all the asian markets and I've never seen it... google didn't really help me but maybe my fu is lacking today

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

shaitan posted:

Are chinese chives known as something else? I look around every now and then at all the asian markets and I've never seen it... google didn't really help me but maybe my fu is lacking today
I've seen them called garlic chives in nurseries and seed catalogues. Gau choy if you're looking for a transliterated version. The Japanese name is nira, although I think nira is a distinct cultivar.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
At Korean markets they'll be called buchu

Sometimes they'll look like grass (about half a foot long at most):

And sometimes they'll be sold with their buds (at least a foot long)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Cut into finger length pieces, stir-fry with eggs. Nom.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Thanks guys. The one I frequent the most is korean so I'll take a look next time.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I bought a bunch of dried jujubes to make some tea and I have leftovers. Suggestions on what to do with them?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Sweet pickle them or soak them in liquor.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Quick question, I found an old wok in my garage before I moved and now that I look at it, I'm not sure what material it is. It's color is pretty close to what a new carbon steel wok looks like from what I've seen of pictures, but the insides have a slick texture only slightly smoother than the inside the nonstick wok my friend bought for me, although that one is black like all nonstick cookware I've seen.

Does a new or lightly used carbon steel wok have that kind of finish, or is this probably an old nonstick wok? I can err on the side of caution I can toss both out (since I plan to cook on a grill or outside burner I'm worried about nonstick coatings burning off) but I just want to double check about the possible carbon steel one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Post a photo?

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Alright, here's a few. Here's a full pic, a close up of the finish and one of the bottom just in case that helps.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
any good general recipes for those meat skewers that you see everywhere in the street food grilles in China?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Emushka posted:

any good general recipes for those meat skewers that you see everywhere in the street food grilles in China?

The lamb ones? Just rub cumin, chili powder, and salt on lamb and grill to your preferred doneness.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

KirbyJ posted:

Alright, here's a few. Here's a full pic, a close up of the finish and one of the bottom just in case that helps.

It looks like anodized aluminum to me. Is it heavy? Most of the carbon steel woks Ive seen have much thinner walls, if its not noticeably heavy, its probably not steel.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, it's actually super light so aluminum sounds about right. I'll probably break down and just grab a carbon steel wok at some point, since I know there isn't a coating to worry about.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

bamhand posted:

The lamb ones? Just rub cumin, chili powder, and salt on lamb and grill to your preferred doneness.

is it really just cumin? it's been a while, but I remember having some BBQ thing to some of them...

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Emushka posted:

is it really just cumin? it's been a while, but I remember having some BBQ thing to some of them...

Yeah, it's just cumin. To this day, it is the way I think lamb should always be prepared.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

Rurutia posted:

Yeah, it's just cumin. To this day, it is the way I think lamb should always be prepared.

maybe a bit of harissa, but that's not chinese...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Emushka posted:

maybe a bit of harissa, but that's not chinese...

Cumin on lamb? Maybe not originally Chinese in the "who was the first guy to put cumin on lamb" sense, but it is definitely Chinese. And definitely delicious.