Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If one of you want a time limit game, go play the american release FF9 and try to get that sword that requires you to get to the last dungeon on the last CD in a time that is not possible because of cutscenes of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

If one of you want a time limit game, go play the american release FF9 and try to get that sword that requires you to get to the last dungeon on the last CD in a time that is not possible because of cutscenes of the game.

Doesn't it work if you open the disc-tray?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

Doesn't it work if you open the disc-tray?

NA version can do a normal SR and make it without opening the disc-tray, and they can do a 100% run with opening the disc-tray, but PAL needs to open the disc-tray to make it with a normal SR, and they probably can't do a 100% run at all and make it in time.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Not sure on Lightning Returns, but Totori and Meruru time limits are not very strict, especially the latter. They also provide the drive and structure in the game, and also NG+ in these games is setup to easily allow multiple playthroughs.

Haven't played the newer games in the series, but overall Atelier and Persona do time limits very well and it makes the games more fun.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Systematic System posted:

NA version can do a normal SR and make it without opening the disc-tray, and they can do a 100% run with opening the disc-tray, but PAL needs to open the disc-tray to make it with a normal SR, and they probably can't do a 100% run at all and make it in time.

Can't you wait until the timer overflows and starts over from 0?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Have fun waiting years for that.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Tae posted:

I can't fight most encounters in the open plains of Gran Pulse. I can manage against flans and stuff, but the phalanax that summons other robo dudes deal way too much damage and are too tough to kill within 3 paradigm shifts. The only way I beat those encounters is using Eidolen, but I'm out of TP juice.

Does the game revert back to the previous 10 chapters and Gran Pulse is the exception in terms of difficulty? Because I'm at a point where I have to avoid fights.

My main characters are a few stats in their section where they're getting +15 per node, as a reference.

So we are in a bad spot. I was there too at some parts. What we have to do, is figure out someway to get out of there the way you came. At this point I can't stress not progressing because the part after just gets worse. You can either train yourself to be a paradigm master (Don't train yourself to be a paradigm master) or get out of there and go back and start doing missions. The missions will literally take you through places you can go and after 5-10 you will be in much better shape. Trust me, get out or this will kill your enjoyment of the game. Sure, some people enjoy going through the game as little leveled as possible but that isn't on their first play through. You might also read online for some solid paradigm. Don't hesitate to edit your paradigm or even switch out party members for someone else. I often did this for different bosses...or did after getting my rear end kicked.

I would say those robots are there kind of to test you and make sure you are ready to proceed. Thats my opinion. Consider it a benchmark.

Kudos to you though, I am pretty grindy and wish I was able to take a chance like you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

So we are in a bad spot. I was there too at some parts. What we have to do, is figure out someway to get out of there the way you came. At this point I can't stress not progressing because the part after just gets worse.
How to recover from drug addiction.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That reads more like slipping back into it, to be honest with you. "I can quit whenever I want!"

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I just plowed through those robots because I didn't know the difference between a hunt waypoint and the plot one.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pureauthor posted:

Can't you wait until the timer overflows and starts over from 0?

No. The game catches onto that and if it hits 99:99:99 and rolls over the timer turns red to symbolize that it hit the max. You could theoretically wait for the timer to roll over (the real timer not the displayed one) but that would take just over 2 years of the game always on.

Doing it legit is the more practical option.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Saw the second-saddest thing in Final Fantasy fandom this morning:

http://kotaku.com/it-took-two-years...dium=Socialflow

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Wade Wilson posted:

I'm scared to ask what the saddest thing is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xyven posted:

that one guy's gigantic wall of text about tifa

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Xyven posted:

Probably that weird group of people that thought they were reincarnations of Jenova and whatnot.

Here we go: http://www.demon-sushi.com/warning/mee.html

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Xyven posted:

I'm thinkin' this: https://web.archive.org/web/20051215001153/http://www.harrisonhospital.org/whatsnew/nursery.php?action=details&ID=6069

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Wade Wilson posted:

I don't really get it, people put a lot of effort into similar works in real life and they tend to get a lot of praise for their dedication and patience. How does it suddenly flip over to "sad" when it's done in digital form instead?

Almost nobody has the space or funds to make such things in real life anyway, so I find it really quite cool that it's possible this way.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Xyven posted:

The community fansite called FFShrine that is literally owned and run by a pedophile that tries to use a file sharing/hosting service for videogame music/anime to keep money coming in from ad revenue.

It finally died a few years ago, but a quick Google search shows that it is back, so I don't know if someone else bought it from the pedophile or what.

Kanfy posted:

I don't really get it, people put a lot of effort into similar works in real life and they tend to get a lot of praise for their dedication and patience. How does it suddenly flip over to "sad" when it's done in digital form instead?

Almost nobody has the space or funds to make such things in real life anyway, so I find it really quite cool that it's possible this way.

It's more the fact that it was done in Minecraft and will basically be vapor in a few months (assuming the handful of servers that run it aren't hacked and wrecked/demolished), so it's two years of effort for a very tiny reward.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 15, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is actually pretty neat in the way that building models of ships in bottles is also pretty neat. Though when you dedicate a long-term project to something else you're enthusiastic about, people will pay more attention to that more often than not.

Wade Wilson posted:

The community fansite called FFShrine that is literally owned and run by a pedophile that tries to use a file sharing/hosting service for videogame music/anime to keep money coming in from ad revenue.

It finally died a few years ago, but a quick Google search shows that it is back, so I don't know if someone else bought it from the pedophile or what.

What.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Xyven posted:

Always brings a tear to my eye.
It's only £6 at Cash Converters

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think it's pretty neat that he has he drive to do something like that.

There are a lot of things lurking in the dark corners of the internet far sadder than that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

I'm IP banned from the site, but at one time the details were posted here: http://forums.ffshrine.org/f2/ffshrine-secrets-thats-wrap-42202/49.html#post1024391

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. The argument of "don't have a thing because someone might not like it" isn't really worthwhile except from a sheer "sell to the absolute maximum number of people" standpoint, which is rarely the same as being a good game. You could just as easily argue that Dark Souls is a bad idea because the high difficultly can turn off paying customers.

You don't have to cater to the max number of customers but you cannot ignore their demands too much either. The bottom line is that a lot of customers will not buy a game strictly because of a time limit even if the game is fun otherwise. Those who are okay with time limits in good games will almost always buy that game even if the time limit didn't exist. You never hear anyone say that they would have bought a game if it had a time limit in place but you do hear the opposite with nearly every game with one of those limits.

I also don't like the difficulty comparison you made because the challenge of DS is completely different than a time limit. Many people play video games to get away from the daily burden of time management in real life, but they also enjoy other means of challenge and the feeling of progression. You can't compare those easily.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

The bottom line is that a lot of customers will not buy a game strictly because of a time limit even if the game is fun otherwise.

So how do you mesh this with all the successful games with time limits?

Xavier434 posted:

I also don't like the difficulty comparison you made because the challenge of DS is completely different than a time limit. Many people play video games to get away from the daily burden of time management in real life, but they also enjoy other means of challenge and the feeling of progression. You can't compare those easily.

So? A lot of people also play games to get away from struggle and hardship and enjoy video games for their easy power fantasy. Your argument is basically predicated on the idea that people will refuse to purchase games with time limits which is straight-up untrue. Doubly so if you don't discount time limits in general because like... c'mon man, goddamn Mario has a time limit, even if it is almost entirely meaningless.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 15, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

Does the first have to do with people crying over time limits in video games?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Xyven posted:

It's this thread, isn't it :smith:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So quick update on LR. I am approaching Midnight on Day 2 and apparently I spent so long running around that I have actually exterminated the Drayds and the Rafflesias. The Miniflans are close as the beastiary says they are rare now.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Pesky Splinter posted:

Are you sure it isn't this?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sunning posted:

How did people get pictures of Toriyama's apartment?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sunning posted:

Uh, this owns actually.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Christ.

Kyrosiris posted:

How did people get pictures of Toriyama's apartment?

Wait til you see his SE workstation:

The framed pictures of Lightning in both images, slays me

[e]:

Holy gently caress, that twitter :stonk::

:stonk:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 15, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's like that Hemingway story. For sale: Final Fantasy game, never played.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

This guy on Tumblr is into 'regressively' making character models based on old-school PSX/N64 style graphics

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

So how do you mesh this with all the successful games with time limits?

So? A lot of people also play games to get away from struggle and hardship and enjoy video games for their easy power fantasy. Your argument is basically predicated on the idea that people will refuse to purchase games with time limits which is straight-up untrue. Doubly so if you don't discount time limits in general because like... c'mon man, goddamn Mario has a time limit, even if it is almost entirely meaningless.

Mario is different. You get to retry without losing progress and without being locked out of any content.

My argument surrounds the idea that time limits like these are usually tolerated more than they are enjoyed by the masses because the rest of the game is fun. I realize that is not true for everyone but you never hear anyone ever complain about a game because it doesn't have a time limit. You only hear complaints when it does have one.

Anyways, it's perfectly okay to enjoy this sort of thing. We all have different preferences.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

S-Alpha posted:

Does the first have to do with people crying over time limits in video games?

The first is Atma Discussion #293829 in the FF14 thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

I like the fanart where Lightning looks sorta decent and he clearly just didnt give a gently caress about drawing Hope well at all.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

This is the best kind of gimmick. If it was just loving Lightning 24/7, I'd be convinced it's just a joke, but it's those normal tweets in there that sow seeds that maybe, just maybe, they're really that crazy.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

:catstare: Beware, ton of furry poo poo on that tumblr.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hey that's really cool, he did a version of Faith from Mirror's Edge where she looks all jet set radio.

...but half the posts are furry characters :stare: uh no thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Madmarker posted:

Probably that weird group of people that thought they were reincarnations of Jenova and whatnot.

Here we go: http://www.demon-sushi.com/warning/mee.html

Holy poo poo. I just fell down that rabbit hole for 20 minutes in the office this morning.

I never cease to be fascinated by the strange that's exposed on the net. Those people exist somewhere out there.