Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Feenix posted:

Don't use Wi-Fi.

This is true for any Sony console.

Too bad you're stuck on it for Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hate to say this, but Evil Within just feels like a really bad game. I really hope my opinion changes by the end because Mikami is awesome, RE4 is awesome and I just paid $60 for the drat thing but after 6 chapters it just feels like a complete mess. There are some cool ideas in there but they are so overshadowed by the flaws I'm having trouble enjoying it at all.

I honestly wouldn't even know where to start if I tried to bullet point how half baked this game feels. It's kind of a huge bummer. it was one of my most anticipated games even though I knew it was going to end up kind of being a B-tier budget game. I don't know what I was expecting but whatever it was it was more than this. It feels like there is literally nothing this game does well.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.
Huh. Killzone Shadow Fall is got an update and is getting a new expansion and map. They're still pushing it along. Which is cool if anyone was playing.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

I really hate to say this, but Evil Within just feels like a really bad game. I really hope my opinion changes by the end because Mikami is awesome, RE4 is awesome and I just paid $60 for the drat thing but after 6 chapters it just feels like a complete mess. There are some cool ideas in there but they are so overshadowed by the flaws I'm having trouble enjoying it at all.

I honestly wouldn't even know where to start if I tried to bullet point how half baked this game feels. It's kind of a huge bummer. it was one of my most anticipated games even though I knew it was going to end up kind of being a B-tier budget game. I don't know what I was expecting but whatever it was it was more than this. It feels like there is literally nothing this game does well.

What games do you like?

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Even with as much fun as The Evil Within has gotten me, nidhogg is jumping up on my radar fast due, to that low $12 price.

VV I literally think you now hate all fun games.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 15, 2014

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

What games do you like?

Lots of them? You can start with pretty much everything else Shinji Mikami has done. I'm guessing that wasn't a serious question though.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm with NESguerilla, it's just not a very good game. I was hoping it would come alive towards the end but from my experience it peaks around chapter 9/10 and then the quality falls off a cliff. There's spots where I really enjoyed it but they're always followed up by long periods of eye rolling frustration.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Scyron posted:

VV I literally think you now hate all fun games.

I know he likes TLOU and Vanquish, which are fun games. Therefore, I conclude that he probably likes fun games.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Shadows of Mordor is making me want a PS4. Has there been any price change in the console recently? Or reason to believe they won't drop the RRP the day after I buy one?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Finally got the Gold headset, so comfortable! Is there anyone who'd like to recommend the Infamous profile from the companion app over the TLoU profile or vice versa?

bugs
Aug 10, 2010

NZAmoeba posted:

Shadows of Mordor is making me want a PS4. Has there been any price change in the console recently? Or reason to believe they won't drop the RRP the day after I buy one?

They aren't going to drop the price for a long rear end time and the worst that would happen is that retailers bundle a free game or two in the lead up to xmas. Just buy it now if you're interested because shadow of mordor is very cool.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

It's still selling well so there won't be an official price drop for a while but it's likely there will be some nice deals on Black Friday. If you look around you can probably find something off the RRP even now.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
That Guilty Gear Xrd demo is pretty guys. :allears:

Incoming garbage playing: http://www.twitch.tv/digitaldiatribe/b/578344184

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've got to ship my DualShock 4 off to Sony because the Left Analog stick reads down inputs in addition to right inputs when the stick is held to the right.
Anyone got an idea on how long it takes for them to ship a new pad out?

That faults in addition to the rubber shearing like crazy, so fingers crossed for one with the new rubber in return.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

If you can contain yourself, wait 'til after Christmas when both will be cheaper and a lot of 2014 titles would have dropped.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I haven't been paying attention lately, but has there been any word if the Legend of Korra game will have a pre-download?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

kalonZombie posted:

I haven't been paying attention lately, but has there been any word if the Legend of Korra game will have a pre-download?

Isn't that supposed to be the standard now and all pre-order games should/must have it?

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Feenix posted:

Oh I can fix this for you real fast.

Don't use Wi-Fi.

What would make it become poo poo out of nowhere though? When I first got it, I was getting 30 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. As of yesterday it is 60kbps down and still 10MBps up. There has to be some other explanation. Nothing has moved and other devices are working fine.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Aurain posted:

I've got to ship my DualShock 4 off to Sony because the Left Analog stick reads down inputs in addition to right inputs when the stick is held to the right.
Anyone got an idea on how long it takes for them to ship a new pad out?

That faults in addition to the rubber shearing like crazy, so fingers crossed for one with the new rubber in return.

I shipped mine Friday last week and they sent the new one out yesterday. It says 3 to 5 business days till it arrives.

Also says there should be a tracking number, but it's blank.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Tyree posted:

What would make it become poo poo out of nowhere though? When I first got it, I was getting 30 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. As of yesterday it is 60kbps down and still 10MBps up. There has to be some other explanation. Nothing has moved and other devices are working fine.

Wifi on Sony consoles is notoriously bad for some people, and works ok for others. You could probably go through the motions of disabling other devices from using wifi, changing channels on your router, etc, and it might work. Or just spend some money on some powerline adapters (assuming you have a house with non-poo poo electric wiring) and never worry about wifi again.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice

Tyree posted:

I don't have a good explanation for you but I had the same issues. As the thread said: don't use wifi. The PS4 has the same issue as PS3 did and has garbage wifi. I tried everything to fix mine and find a decent solution and found nothing.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Are there any wireless adapters that plug into the ethernet port? I don't really want to get a 50 ft cord to snake around to the ps4 if I can avoid it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah it really sounds like even the people that say they like Evil Within are sort of forcing themselves to like it. Every post I've read is like "it's fun! Except for the terrible checkpoints, low framerate, frustrating deaths, and so-so graphics."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tyree posted:

Are there any wireless adapters that plug into the ethernet port? I don't really want to get a 50 ft cord to snake around to the ps4 if I can avoid it.

Not directly. What you're looking for is called a (Media) Bridge, or with some models a Gaming Adapter. A gaming adapter is just a bridge with marketing.

On a lot of websites range extenders are mixed in with bridges. While a lot of extenders do have ethernet ports you don't want one, they halve your wifi bandwidth.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Seriously bridges and extenders are bad. If you can't run a cable to something that you don't want to use wifi on look into powerline or moca

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Powerline is great. It's the next best thing to wired IMHO and creams wireless for connection stability. I've been using it for a long, long time before most people knew it was a thing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah it really sounds like even the people that say they like Evil Within are sort of forcing themselves to like it. Every post I've read is like "it's fun! Except for the terrible checkpoints, low framerate, frustrating deaths, and so-so graphics."

So-so graphics don't really have anything to do with fun, and the frame rate isn't any worse than most games from last gen. There are certainly some criticisms to be made but that doesn't mean people are forcing themselves to have fun with it. I mean everyone here loves TLOU and that's about as unfun a gameplay experience that I can imagine so fun is apparently a pretty drat subjective thing. See also Destiny.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Seriously bridges and extenders are bad. If you can't run a cable to something that you don't want to use wifi on look into powerline or moca

Oh yeah, that too.

There's no such thing as a good bridge. You will not find a consensus good one to buy. They'll work flawlessly for one person and disconnect constantly for another.

There's no such thing as good wifi in fact. We deal with it because it's basically sorcery but it has all kinds of problems all the time for seemingly no reason.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

DrNutt posted:

So-so graphics don't really have anything to do with fun, and the frame rate isn't any worse than most games from last gen. There are certainly some criticisms to be made but that doesn't mean people are forcing themselves to have fun with it. I mean everyone here loves TLOU and that's about as unfun a gameplay experience that I can imagine so fun is apparently a pretty drat subjective thing. See also Destiny.

The framerate definitely has issues, I've seen it just absolutely plummet when looking at fire or entering an area.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BitBasher posted:

Powerline is great. It's the next best thing to wired IMHO and creams wireless for connection stability. I've been using it for a long, long time before most people knew it was a thing.

People in games rave about it but over in SH/SC's networking thread it's basically laughed out of the room as a terrible option. What's the deal with that?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

PantsBandit posted:

It can still be fun, though. Every game has flaws, and at some point it's a question of personal taste whether you can look past it. Godhand is one of the best brawlers of all time, and there are some people who just can't handle that the camera is too close. It's a dealbreaker for some, but not all, and the idea here is to let people know "Hey, I'm having a great time, but if big spaces between checkpoints and a tendency to get kill is something that'll kill your enjoyment, I can see how some people would not have as good of a time with this".

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

DrNutt posted:

People in games rave about it but over in SH/SC's networking thread it's basically laughed out of the room as a terrible option. What's the deal with that?

I honestly have no idea. I have used it for a long, long time and every single person that I know in real life and online that has tried it has sworn off wireless for any meaningful use.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

DrNutt posted:

Unless you live in a new house with great wiring and your rooms are on the same circuit it's useless.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

DrNutt posted:

Different levels of nerds.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Powerline works flawlessly for me. I'm sure it'd be a little faster if I ran a cable from my bedroom to my livingroom but for how easy it is I have 0 complaints.

Just remember it may not work through a power strip. It does for me but a lot of people have to plug it straight into the wall.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

DrNutt posted:

Its only a good alternative when you can't run an ethernet cable. Its better then wifi for stability reasons by quite a bit and only acceptable in a home situation because of the limitations of how powerline works.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Powerline used to be pretty lovely but it's gotten a lot better over the last few years, also yeah. If your wiring is bad it's not gunna work. But there's always MoCa which I can't imagine wouldn't work for anyone now a days.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

PantsBandit posted:

I'm gonna call this the Destiny syndrome from now on.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Crappy Jack posted:

It can still be fun, though. Every game has flaws, and at some point it's a question of personal taste whether you can look past it. Godhand is one of the best brawlers of all time, and there are some people who just can't handle that the camera is too close. It's a dealbreaker for some, but not all, and the idea here is to let people know "Hey, I'm having a great time, but if big spaces between checkpoints and a tendency to get kill is something that'll kill your enjoyment, I can see how some people would not have as good of a time with this".

I'm sorry but this is the somethingawful forums. Every game is an irredeemable piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kalonZombie posted:

I'm gonna call this the Destiny syndrome from now on.

I guess that's shorter than 'this game has flaws, some people will like it in spite of them, others won't'.

• Locked thread