Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Is the plan to just scoop to Delver decks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ville Valo posted:

Is the plan to just scoop to Delver decks?

Delver is the definition of a greedy three color deck, so that's what the Blood Moons are for. And possibly some other cards depending on the variant (i.e. Pyroclasm is probably good against versions running Pyromancer over Goyf). Delver has a pretty good matchup against Sneak and Show and combo in general, but it's hardly an unwinnable matchup for you. They still need to have the right amount of permission/disruption/clock and most lists have a very hard time dealing with a resolved combo piece. You can often win just by jamming enough "answer this now or lose" spells, which is part of the reason Blood Moon is so good for you- it's a spell you can lead with that they usually must answer or they will lose (so long as they don't already have 2 threats on the board and a fist full of countermagic anyhow). The best way to beat Delver is probably to practice the matchup(s) so that you know how to play against Delver decks properly, and if your field is just completely full of Delver decks tuned to beat combo then the best answer is probably to play something that isn't Sneak & Show.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Currently, it's a lot of Delver and Junk decks tuned to beat the snot out of each other. The combo hate seems to have been forgotten about, which is why I'm going to try out Sneak and Show at the end of this month. I've got BUG Delver and Miracles, but they're what everyone's used to fighting right now.

I'm going to try 2x Blood Moon in the main, as my meta has almost no mono-color decks, and see how that fairs. Thanks for the advice - it's been a long time since I've played a combo deck outside of some Modern homebrews.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

May you always have the turn 1 Blood Moon into turn 2 Show and Tell. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

May you always have the turn 1 Blood Moon into turn 2 Show and Tell. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.

Turn 1 Show and Tell the Blood Moon. Nobody will see that coming.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

AgentSythe posted:

What lands let you do this?

I've taken some time away from Sneak and Show as it seems people are pretty good at fighting it off these days. I jumped back to Elves and it's going great, which feels strange to me. I thought the deck would have more hate towards it but I felt the games were pretty balanced when I played last. My point is, to whoever said they don't want to play what everybody is used to fighting - it doesn't always make the biggest difference.

mcmagic posted:

Lotus Petal into Pyretic Ritual?

:stare:

Lonely Bridge fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 15, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lonely Bridge posted:

I've taken some time away from Sneak and Show as it seems people are pretty good at fighting it off these days. I jumped back to Elves and it's going great, which feels strange to me. I thought the deck would have more hate towards it but I felt the games were pretty balanced when I played last. My point is, to whoever said they don't want to play whatever "everybody is expecting" - it doesn't always make the biggest difference.

Lotus Petal into Pyretic Ritual?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lonely Bridge posted:

Ancient Tomb + Lotus Petal is the usual method. Or double Petal + land.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lonely Bridge posted:

Ancient Tomb + Lotus Petal

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone going to the Eternal Weekend in Philly next weekend?

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

I understand how to produce 3 mana. How do you cast Show and Tell on turn 2 after casting Blood Moon on turn 1?

My point is that blood moon is not just easily cast on turn 1, barring you having an actual island somewhere in your hand. I've grown to dislike Blood Moon in the deck, though I'm sure it could be worth playing.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I went 3-1 for 4th place out of 25ish at modern last night with this UW Merfolk list:

Round 1 against 8 Rack: Holy poo poo is this deck a miserable slog to play against, even compared to the America control the pilot usually plays. Game 1 I stuck a Sejiri Merfolk, Lord, and Sygg River Guide so he couldn't kill my dudes and the life loss didn't matter and he died pretty fast. Game 2 was a 30 minute fun fest that consisted of him dropping a an Ensnaring Bridge after Thoughtseizeing one of my Echoing Truths so we stared at each other forever while I built up a board presence and waited to draw into my second copy of Echoing Truth. The turn I draw it I have 2 power under lethal on board if I vial in the lord I have in hand and attack but then I'd have no out to it the next turn when he would replay it, so I decide to wait another turn and go for the kill the next turn. Oops, he topdecked Black Sun's Zenith. Game 3 we have 7 minutes left on the clock but I had a nice quick hand and I finished him off just as we went to time.

Round 2 against UWR Delver: Game 1 was close because he missed on his Delver trigger for a very long time. Then he hit his trigger and dropped a Geist of St Traft and it turns out I have a really hard time with flyers. Game 2 was also close but I was able to keep him off his mana long enough to get him down quite low and he missed a delver trigger that would have let him swing in for lethal so I was able to finish him off. Round 3 he dropped a turn 2 Young Peezy, which I forgot was a thing and hadn't brought in my Echoing Truths. I held on for a long time but eventually died to lots of little tokens.

Round 3 against monoG Stompy: My opponent had borrowed this deck from a friend and didn't know it well at all while I own a better version and know it pretty well. Game 1 I pathed all his dudes so I assume he was left with a hand of targetless pump spells and he lost shortly thereafter. Game 2 he had the turn 4 kill hand that included the Dismember for my early Spellskite. Game 3 I was able to curve into Aether Vial, Spellskite, Sejeri Merfolk+Sygg, then some Lords while took a turn off to play an inexplicable Choke. He built up a huge board presence but couldn't swing in because he'd lose the best of them to first strike lifelinkers, which is absolutely crippling for the deck. I poked at him with an Islandwalk guy for a bit until I had enough for an alpha strike and swung in assuming he wasn't sandbagging a fog of some kind (he wasn't)

Round 4 against Pod: I was concerned about the pod matchup since the switch to UW since I lost Hibernation out of the board, but it turns out Path is pretty great against a deck that wants it's creatures to die and come back a lot. I was able to put him on the back foot early both games by Pathing Birds and sticking more guys than he could Abrupt Decay. After each game my opponent went through each of his misplays in excruciating detail with an emphasis on how doing each one differently would have been the big turning point in each game. I just nodded and waited for him to finish shuffling or sign the slip.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the UW build over the monoU build. Path is great, UW Sygg has done much better than I thought it would, and even the worst creatures in the deck (3 Cosi's Trickster and 3 Sejiri Merfolk) have performed way beyond how I expected they would. On the other hand, the mana definitely hurts and I'm not a fan of having to play around land destruction (i'm still not sure if I should be playing the lone Plains over a second Hallowed Fountain) and there are a lot of times where I miss having access to counters but don't know where to make the right cut. I'll stick with it for now though since I'm getting to know the deck better and it's been well positioned against the meta outside of UWR decks, which have been extra insane thanks to Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise. Dig Though Time does own though, it's better than Treasure Cruise by a lot and I may find myself wanting to make another spot for it in the maindeck.

As far as the sideboard goes, I'm thinking about switching over to this:

quote:

2 Stony Silence
2 Meddling Mage
2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
3 Spellskite
3 Echoing Truth
2 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Rest in Peace

As bad as the Affinity matchup is, there's only one guy who plays it so I think I'll just have to accept taking harder mulligans against him in exchange for a third Echoing Truth, which is a surprisingly relevant card in quite a few matchups. Rest in Peace needs to come in over a third Cage to help stop Dig/Cruise. I haven't brought Meddling Mage in so far because I haven't played a deck that it would cripple so far and it's just to soft to removal to bring in to turn off bolts or whatever. That being said, Jeskai Ascendancy finally appeared this week courtesy of the cheatiest player in the store and Mage naming Glittering wish seems pretty decent against that.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Lonely Bridge posted:

Sandstone Needle

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sampatrick posted:

Sandstone Needle

And 5 Lotus Petals.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

Sandstone Needle

Turn 1: Lotus Petal -> Lotus Petal -> Amulet of Vigor -> Sandstone Needle -> Blood Moon
Turn 2: With leftover Island and Show and Tell and Lotus Petal (always pick to draw first), Draw into Emrakul, cast Show and Tell. If your opening hands don't look like this I don't know what to tell you.

(A DISCLAIMER IN CASE YOU LIKE TRAINS OR STARE AT YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TALK TO GIRLS: THIS IS A JOKE POST)

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

We just need to play manamorphose, Blood Moon aint keepin' me down

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Turn 1 Blood Moon, they counter it burning their only counter, then coast is clear for Turn 2 Show and Tell. Gitaxian Probe first to make sure they have a counter.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Sorry for double-postin', but I read the Source thread, and have settled on this list for this week, in preparation/testing for back-to-back GPTs next weekend. If it doesn't work out this week, or I find myself missing my Goyfs and Delvers, I've got BUG sleeved and ready to go too.

code:
4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Griselbrand

3 Island
3 Ancient Tomb
2 City of Traitors
3 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Volcanic Island

4 Lotus Petal
2 Blood Moon
4 Sneak Attack
4 Brainstorm
2 Dig Through Time
4 Force of Will
1 Misdirection
4 Spell Pierce
3 Gitaxian Probe
2 Ponder
4 Show and Tell

Sideboard

1 Blood Moon
2 Echoing Truth
2 Flusterstorm
2 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Through the Breach
3 Pyroclasm
1 Shattering Spree
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I wouldn't play anything other than a playset of Ponders, but if the Tops serve you better then gr8

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

AgentSythe posted:

I wouldn't play anything other than a playset of Ponders, but if the Tops serve you better then gr8

What Tops?

I'm hoping the addition of Dig Through Times alleviates some of the need for Ponders, as I don't know what else I'd cut for em. I could go to 3 Spell Pierces and 2 Probes, I suppose.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Oh just kidding that is a different list I saw on there that was playing 2 Ponders and 4 Tops. Yeah my list is actually basically this, except an intuition instead of the Misdirection, but 3 conditional counterspells and 2 Git Probes. I happen to use Flusterstorms because there is loads of Storm around me.

Edit: the 3 conditional conderspells and 2 git probes number making room for Ponders 3 and 4.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Molybdenum posted:

Flames is skull crack 5-8.

Edit: I have 3 flames for trade!!

I am interested, but I am not sure how to contact you.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Kraus posted:

I am interested, but I am not sure how to contact you.

I'm THUNDERFLUSH on deckbox

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Molybdenum posted:

I'm THUNDERFLUSH on deckbox
Edit: He got it.

Kraus fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 16, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Check out this wild Euro Legacy deck.
I'm going to try it tonight. Was looking for a Treasure Cruise deck that wasn't just UR.

Canadian BUG

19 LANDS

4 Scalding Tarn
4 Wasteland
3 Misty Rainforest
3 Volcanic Island
3 Underground Sea
2 Tropical Island

13 CREATURES
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Delver of Secrets
3 True-Name Nemesis
2 Snapcaster Mage

28 Instants/Sorcery
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Treasure Cruise
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Spell Snare
1 Spell Pierce

SIDEBOARD
1 Ancient Grudge
2 Envelop
2 Pyroblast
2 Winter Orb
2 Toxic Deluge
2 Golgari Charm
2 Chain Lightning
1 Counterspell
1 Red Elemental Blast

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 16, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Snacksmaniac posted:

Check out this wild Euro Legacy deck.
I'm going to try it tonight. Was looking for a Treasure Cruise deck that wasn't just UR.

Canadian BUG

19 LANDS

4 Scalding Tarn
4 Wasteland
3 Misty Rainforest
3 Volcanic Island
3 Underground Sea
2 Tropical Island

13 CREATURES
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Delver of Secrets
3 True-Name Nemesis
2 Snapcaster Mage

28 Instants/Sorcery
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Treasure Cruise
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Spell Snare
1 Spell Pierce

SIDEBOARD
1 Ancient Grudge
2 Envelop
2 Pyroblast
2 Winter Orb
2 Toxic Deluge
2 Golgari Charm
2 Chain Lightning
1 Counterspell
1 Red Elemental Blast

Looks pretty cool. You should mix up the Fetches though so you have all 4 Island fetches in there. Just for kicks. :v:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

That is some pretty hot Winter Orb technology.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

AgentSythe posted:

That is some pretty hot Winter Orb technology.

I ended up splitting first. I'm bummed I couldn't find my winter orbs in time but I didn't play any of the mana greedy decks.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

drat app.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Bowled over Legacy tonight with the above Sneak and Show list. Made a couple mistakes (mostly math related, and timing of land drops), but I learned from 'em, and this is why we practice before real events. Love the main board Blood Moons - so many unhappy faces. Didn't realize I wrote a 61 card list - I cut a Spell Pierce to get down to 60. I need to RTFC, though - Boseiju doesn't make Sneak Attack or Blood Moon uncounterable. Whoops.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
On the flip side of that, I got ranched at Legacy last night playing this:

quote:

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Stoneforge Mystic
2 True-Name Nemesis
4 Brainstorm
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Spell Pierce
3 Swords to Plowshares
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Batterskull
3 Ponder
4 Treasure Cruise
2 Arid Mesa
4 Flooded Strand
2 Misty Rainforest
4 Tundra
3 Volcanic Island
4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Grim Lavamancer
1 Pyroblast
1 Red Elemental Blast
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Wear // Tear
4 Meddling Mage
2 Rest in Peace
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 True-Name Nemesis

I'm starting to get a better sense of my local metagame in Toronto, and it's a lot of fair decks and decks meant to prey on them. Jund, Lands, Death & Taxes, and LOTS of BUG decks, both Delver and Shardless variations. The Cruises were this week's addition and I love them with all my heart, but I think the rest of the deck needs a re-visit. I've been playing it like the RUG version, which I now think is incorrect; the whole point of running Stoneforge over Tarmogoyf is for a better mid-to-late game, at the expense of the option to go full-on aggro, so the card choices have to reflect that. In that sense it's more of a midrange deck than I was giving it credit for. You can almost look at Delver decks on a scale with RUG at one end, BUG at the other, and UWR in the middle.

Long story short I'm planning these cuts for next week:

-2 True-Name Nemesis, +2 Vendilion Clique : The meta has already adjusted to TNN and now it's just barely a threat, to the point where they're one of the first post-board cuts I make. Clique provides a pro-active way to handle things I have trouble with otherwise (uncounterable spells, planeswalkers, etc.)
-4 Daze : Daze is a terrible top-deck, and this deck can't really operate with only 1-2 lands in play the way RUG Delver can. I'll probably try +1 fetchland, +1 Ponder, +1 Spell Pierce and something else. I'm tempted to try 1 Jace the Mind Sculptor.
-1 Tundra, +1 Island : Deck is way too vulnerable to land destruction, even having a single stable blue source in play makes a huge difference. It may be more correct to cut a Volcanic, since the deck is far more able to operate without red mana than white.
-4 Meddling Mage : I am so conflicted by this card; I love the concept, but I always wrestle with bringing them in because I'm not playing against any decks that have an obvious "don't let your opponent resolve this" spell like Show & Tell or Ad Nauseum. I've considered running Crucible of Worlds, Sword of Fire and Ice, and Council's Judgement in the SB at various times, and this might be the place to put them.

I'd love any feedback people have.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Goons, what do you think of Vendilion Clique as a one-of in the U/R Delver modern decks running around? I am thinking of investing in one and would like everyone's opinion.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Samael posted:

Goons, what do you think of Vendilion Clique as a one-of in the U/R Delver modern decks running around? I am thinking of investing in one and would like everyone's opinion.

I'm not sure. I play UWR modern Delver, and I've just taken out all of my 3 drops ( 3 Geists and 2 Electrolyse) to lower my curve and let me play more aggressively, so a V-Clique would be counter to that. I imagine the problem is the same for UR Delver, which is an even more aggressively-costed deck. But then, having another 3-power evasive threat with upside seems good.
Why not proxy it and test it with some buddies?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ceddy P making a good point on Treasure Cruise in Modern: Remand makes the Cruise player want to throw up.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I've seen and purchased my fair share of VIP packages, but I've never seen one with features as ridiculous as what's being offered at Eternal Weekend (emphasis mine):

• VIP registration is $100 and comes with the following
- ALL WEEKEND access to the VIP lounge
- Massage therapists on staff in the lounge and each VIP player gets 5 minutes FREE
- Personal lunch delivery service from the Reading Terminal Market (cost of lunch is not included)
- A VIP Playmat, illustrated by none other than Christopher Rush (see below)!

:stare:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I don't want to advertise this much but I'm selling 90% of my Breakfast Burrito deck to ensure I have grocery/gas money while I'm at school for the next few months.

I just thought I'd leave it here considering the topic.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

This is my favorite deck. :allears:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

This is my favorite deck. :allears:

List? I love anything that abuses Purphoros triggers.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Probably something along the lines of this: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-norin-the-weary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

Ceddy P making a good point on Treasure Cruise in Modern: Remand makes the Cruise player want to throw up.

Only if you hit cruise itself. The decks thar play cruise also play a bunch of low drops that stuck to remand.

• Locked thread