Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I'm only firing two shots at the technical, it's cool if you want to join in on the truck shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Cloud Potato posted:

I'm only firing two shots at the technical, it's cool if you want to join in on the truck shooting.

I do like shooting trucks! Although if my notes are right and they didn't change their plans the Hunchback is also shooting at said truck. That'd be a bad day for those poor sods.

gently caress it, I'm blowing up a house.

Orders sent. I'm running to 0845 and doing violence to the manor.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 15, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Bombast Lasers are dumb.

Binary Lasers are where it's at. The best sub-optimal weapon. :getin:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

In fairness, the `Mechbuster fighter is an atmospheric aircraft and it's pretty great, and propeller planes get bonuses to not flying into the ground (and VTOLs don't make those tests at all).

Yeah, Conventional Fighters are actually more maneuverable in atmo than ASF since they're kinda, you know, purpose-built for it. Granted, they pay for it with garbage armor potential, inability to use DHS, and a max weight of 50 tons, but they're also fairly cheap. And when most weapons are fixed forwards, being more maneuverable so you can stay in the enemy's rear arc is really attractive.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Still short some orders for the Centurion and Warhammer (Whammy pilot let me know he'd be late, it's cool). It's not a big deal yet since it'll take me a little longer than normal to get started on the update (fixing my windshield tomorrow :toot: ) but please don't forget to send orders on the first turn!

C'mon bash brother, don't do this!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I've got them now. Just some confusion (he didn't realize I can't pull orders out of the thread. Most of the time I can't even find orders in the thread).

Edit: Also, I made these for one of the players who had questions about shooting arcs. I figured I'd post them in case the other new players want a quick reference as well. Here is how shooting arcs work:

Shooting

- Front Arc: Green
- Right Arc: Purple
- Left Arc: Blue
- Rear Arc: Yellow

Being shot:

- Front Arc: Red
- Right Arc: Purple
- Left Arc: Blue
- Rear Arc: Orange
- Variable Arc (depends on which direction the enemy's facing!): Aqua

And, just for fun, these are the hexes the Quickdraw can probably see (this was just eyeballing, I didn't check for actual LOS):

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 15, 2014

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Scintilla posted:

Bombast Lasers are dumb.

Binary Lasers are where it's at. The best sub-optimal weapon. :getin:

I agree. Even though they are sub-optimal, I absolutely love Blazers just for the flavor. XD House Marik should totally have them IC, since they tend to be all LAZORZ anyway because all their PPCs are earmarked for Awesomes.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

PoptartsNinja posted:

In fairness, the `Mechbuster fighter is an atmospheric aircraft and it's pretty great, and propeller planes get bonuses to not flying into the ground (and VTOLs don't make those tests at all).

That's pretty funny considering how hard it is flying a VTOL without lots of computer assistance, and we know that advanced computers are lostech.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

pun pundit posted:

That's pretty funny considering how hard it is flying a VTOL without lots of computer assistance, and we know that advanced computers are lostech.

Easily reconfigurable advanced computers are lostech. The major difficulty in modifying 'mechs, for example, is getting them to accept and interface properly with new hardware.

Edit: or Poptarts could say it more understandably.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 15, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
DI computers are incredibly advanced. They can tell, based on your brainwave patterns, whether you want to pick a man up with your fist or crush him into meat jelly.

They're just not plug & play.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
Is that how hand/arm control is fluffed? The only description I remember from the books is some kind of gauntlet control in one of the early Gray Death books (probably Thunder Rift).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

propatriamori posted:

Is that how hand/arm control is fluffed? The only description I remember from the books is some kind of gauntlet control in one of the early Gray Death books (probably Thunder Rift).

As usual, various authors did not consult with each other, or with previous texts, when writing some of their descriptions. See also: Stackpole.

You can't really put too much credence into anything you read in a battletech novel. The more official descriptions of stuff are in official game books and supplements.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
King of the Pirates: Tactical Update 2

The Ravager crested a low hill at a casual pace, surprising a gang of men and women on dozens of makeshift motorcycles. It twisted in passing, wrecking ball clutched menacingly in its left hand to keep the long and awkward weapon from scraping along the ground. The ports of the Ravager’s SRM racks slid open with a hiss and the men put up their rifles but made no move to drop them and flee.

“Infantry behind the hill. They’ve put up their arms but that won’t stop `em from shooting us in the back if they feel like it. You don’t want to kill too many of the locals,” Jag cautioned a moment later. “They’ll turn against you if they think you’re going to level the whole city and kill everyone in it. But making examples of a few might encourage the rest to clear out of the way before the real firefight starts.”

Susie Morgraine-Ryan’s smile was wide enough to make her face ache, mirroring the unnerving skeletal grin painted on her `Mech’s head. She’d never shied away from an execution and disabusing the locals of any funny aspirations towards her or any of her lance’s machines certainly wouldn’t hurt. “You heard the man, Tommy. Give that scum a twenty-gun salute for not surrendering properly.”

“On it,” the deep basso voice of Thomas R. Gunn rumbled. The man was one of the most loyal members of her old company—and one of the few who’d survived the disastrous Clan assault on Gotterdammerung. His Blackjack nearly hadn’t made it, and Thomas now sported head-to-toe burns inflicted by a pack of the enemy’s strange, flamer-toting beetle infantry. Stripped of nearly its entire armament in the fighting, Thomas had pieced the machine back together with what few supplies the Rebels had managed to recover before they fled: and he’d built his machine to slaughter the infantry that’d maimed him.

As the blocky Blackjack closed on the natives they probably wouldn’t have recognized the danger. A Blackjack was normally no threat to infantry, the first inkling they’d have that something was wrong would be the roar of twenty .50 caliber machine guns firing in unison, and the dirt kicked up as the Thomas tracked his weapons through the entire group. It didn’t matter that most of the Blackjack’s shots missed, even the pirates’ homemade motorcycles and ATVs were torn apart by the sheer volume of fire. They didn’t explode like they would’ve in the holos, but Susie didn’t anticipate there’d be anything worth salvaging from the junkpile either.

She paid their corpses no mind and less sympathy, nor did she utter a word of thanks for Thomas’s work. The natives had made a mistake by not staying home, and compounded it by not surrendering. Slaughtering the lot of them wasn’t the right choice.

It was the only choice.

Combat Phase
Charger (Player)
- Fires small laser at liquor store 1544: adjacent attacks always hit (7/10 structure remaining)!
- Fires small laser at liquor store 1544: adjacent attacks always hit (4/10 structure remaining)!
- Fires vehicle flamer at shop 1544: adjacent attacks always hit (2/10 structure remaining)!
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 10!

Warhammer (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Mansion 0843 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement = 1): automatically hit (5/15 structure remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Mansion 0843 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement = 1): automatically hit (0/15 structure remaining)! Building destroyed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Mansion 0843 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement = 1): automatically hit!
- Gains 23 heat, sinks 34!

JagerMech (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 12!

Catapult (Player)
- Fires SRM-4 at Armored Technical 1239 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, 3 missiles hit Rear (1/3 armor remaining), Right Side (2/4 armor remaining (Chance for Motive System Damage)), Left Side (2/4 armor remaining (Chance for Motive System Damage))!
- Fires SRM-4 at Armored Technical 1239 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 8 heat, sinks 28!

Chameleon (Player)
- Gains 2 heat, sinks !

Hunchback (Player)
- Fires Medium Laser at Armored Technical 1239 (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Armored Technical 1239 (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Gains 8 heat, sinks 13!

Centurion (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 12!

Blackjack (Player)
- Fires Medium Laser at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 6, hit exposed infantry for double damage (29/30 troopers remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 6, hit exposed infantry for double damage (28/30 troopers remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 6, hit exposed infantry for double damage (27/30 troopers remaining)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 11, hit exposed infantry for double damage (9/30 troopers remaining)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 10, hit exposed infantry for double damage (0/30 troopers remaining)! Infantry Unit Destroyed
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 10, hit!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, hit!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, hit!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 10, hit!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 11, hit!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Motorized Infantry 1945 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 11 heat, sinks 13!

Assassin (Player)
- Fires Large Laser at Motorized Infantry 1945: target already destroyed, no line-of-sight to target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Battle Cobra (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 28!

Clint (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 16!

Armored Technical 1239
- Fires SRM-1 at Catapult (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 5, miss!

Motorized Infantry 1945
- Attempt to Fire ballistic rifles at Centurion but recognize their target and hold fire!

End Phase:
Armored Technical 1239
- Chance for Motive System Damage: No effect!
- Chance for Motive System Damage: Minor damage (+1 modifier to driving rolls)!

Physical Combat Phase:
Charger (Player)
- Kicks liquor store 1544: adjacent attacks always hit (0/10 structure remaining)! Building destroyed!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
King Crab
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 0 entered depth 2 water = 4): rolled 7, succeeds!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
Defeat all enemies!

Secondary Objectives:
Individual Sub-Objectives Completed (0/11)

Orders Due: Saturday Night!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 19, 2014

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The crab is hiding in the water. I find this really funny for some reason!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gwaihir posted:

The crab is hiding in the water. I find this really funny for some reason!

I too found it funny. I mean, Crabs like water, right? So it figures a really big mechanical one would too.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

propatriamori posted:

Techmanual says that mechs can use either type of control, but I think the direct neurohelmet control is more common in the setting. Techmanual describes DI computers basically knowing that if you select "grab" function in a mech, and place crosshairs on a container or something the mech will know how to pick it up. Like PTN said, it then becomes a matter of how much mental control the mechwarrior has to tell their machine how hard to grasp something.

What's wonky is that apparently the novels are "more" canon than the sourcebooks from what the CBT boards say, because that's actually "how it happened". So you get fun stuff like Phantom Mech apparently being what really happened, as opposed to something like Morgan Kell and Yorinaga Kurita just having mechs equipped with Guardian ECM systems in 3025. :shrug:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I wonder what are the penalties for underwater melee attacks. I don't think I've ever even looked them up before.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There aren't any, since `Mechs are very strong and water doesn't slow them down much worse than normal. 'Punching' just becomes more of a 'grab and tear' than an actual punch (but that's often true even of above-water punches. It's an attempt to rip a big hole in the enemy's armor).

The real trouble is that many weapons straight-up don't work underwater. PPCs, Autocannons, and normal missiles all become useless, and lasers have their ranges cut to something like 1/3rd normal.

Edit: Also, would you gently caress with the city's water supply knowing that there's a King Crab in there somewhere?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Winged 'em! And then they cheesed it. Could either JJ to 0942 and chase that tasty, tasty truck, or wait and see what the other west-side 'Mechs have planned and move to support them.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Also, would you gently caress with the city's water supply knowing that there's a King Crab in there somewhere?

The Tortuga Water Company is now offering free particles of Myomer in every glass of water, free of charge! Help your kids grow up strong and be able to lift ten times their weight! Tortuga Water - "What else is there to drink around here?"©

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ah, but what if the LuCharger throws a 'Mech into the water? :pseudo:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

anakha posted:

Water halves falling damage.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, the Blackjack is already getting its warcrime on. I think I remember read somewhere that it's against modern military regs to use .50 cals against infantry, since it's an anti-material weapon. But nothing prevents it's use against equipment, which includes those vehicles the infantry are riding on... Someone tell me if I'm misremembering that reg or full of poo poo.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 16, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
All `Mech machineguns are .50 cal. Because nothing tells infantry "Body armor? Hahaha, nope!" quite the same way.

There's a reason the Draconis Combine gives body armor to their police but not to their front-line infantry.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

anakha posted:

We all hope the coolant doesn't leak, because if it does, Tortuga's only apparent clean water supply goes toxic.

As for .50 cals, no rules or laws that prohibit using them against infantry, so long as you're not firing a type of ammunition that's banned for use against infantry. As far as I'm aware, that means you can't fire hollow point and maybe incendiary ammunition at people. Everything else is fair game.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Ha! Stupid building didn't even fire back. This is gonna be easy. :downs:

GhostStalker posted:

Welp, the Blackjack is already getting its warcrime on. I think I remember read somewhere that it's against modern military regs to use .50 cals against infantry, since it's an anti-material weapon. But nothing prevents it's use against equipment, which includes those vehicles the infantry are riding on... Someone tell me if I'm misremembering that reg or full of poo poo.

This is indeed a myth, .50 cals are used against personnel all the time. You can use shotguns too, which is another common myth.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 16, 2014

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

GhostStalker posted:

Who fuckin' care about military regs? Israel has fired white phosphorous at civilians and nothing happened.

Are you a first world nation?

If yes, commit all the warcrimes you want. (See: Israel/Russia)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Saint Celestine posted:

Who fuckin' care about military regs? Israel has fired white phosphorous at civilians and nothing happened.

Are you a first world nation?

If yes, commit all the warcrimes you want. (See: Israel/Russia)

Yeah, thanks for setting me straight. I know that White Phosphorus is technically only supposed to be used to mark targets, but of course everyone uses it against infantry because drat that stuff burns. See also land mines and cluster munitions.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

More crabs, less warcrime-chat

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Running to 1040, facing north.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Shoeless posted:

Yeah, Conventional Fighters are actually more maneuverable in atmo than ASF since they're kinda, you know, purpose-built for it. Granted, they pay for it with garbage armor potential, inability to use DHS, and a max weight of 50 tons, but they're also fairly cheap. And when most weapons are fixed forwards, being more maneuverable so you can stay in the enemy's rear arc is really attractive.

50 tons actually seemed really goddamn heavy for a fighter plane to me. So I looked it up, and evidently the F-35 has a maximum takeoff weight of 30 tons, so I guess it's not so far-fetched for a future- space- atmo-fighter to weigh 50 tons.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My favorite atmospheric fighter is the 5-ton Boomerang. Because it's just an engine with a bubble cockpit and wings (and the cockpit reminds me of the Dopp)

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, thanks for setting me straight. I know that White Phosphorus is technically only supposed to be used to mark targets, but of course everyone uses it against infantry because drat that stuff burns. See also land mines and cluster munitions.

Removed, because reasons.

Done.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 16, 2014

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

goatface posted:

More crabs, less warcrime-chat

An accurate depiction of what that king crab can do to your face if you get into its range.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Winged 'em! And then they cheesed it. Could either JJ to 0942 and chase that tasty, tasty truck, or wait and see what the other west-side 'Mechs have planned and move to support them.

Hey, don't gently caress off without me, you're my partner! Let's move up and keep covering the left flank, so those guys can't sneak around behind us. Besides, you aren't going to get a clean shot on that truck, and it's charging directly into range of our other mechs. Let's go take position under that hill up ahead. I'm considering 0841, to cover that alley just ahead.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Olothreutes posted:

white phosphorus

Stop.

I'm pretty lenient about derails but this isn't a good thread to talk about actual war crimes.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

The little baby 'mechs are running from me. Hmph. That Shadow Hawk will get it's due, and the Firestarter too if I can catch the little blighter!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

For some reason I failed to notice that the blackjack had 20 machine guns, not 2. Good lord. :stare:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

The little baby 'mechs are running from me. Hmph. That Shadow Hawk will get it's due, and the Firestarter too if I can catch the little blighter!

PTN is setting you up for a Four Horsemen-style beatdown. Complete with Flair chops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Wait a sec, orders due Wednesday night? As in tonight or next Wednesday?

• Locked thread