Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PantsBandit posted:

I'm sorry but this is the somethingawful forums. Every game is an irredeemable piece of poo poo.

Nuh uh, some games are so utterly perfect that if you say anything bad about them you're obviously trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have Stockholm Syndrome from video games and I don't enjoy any of these pieces of poo poo but I keep playing anyway.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

DrNutt posted:

People in games rave about it but over in SH/SC's networking thread it's basically laughed out of the room as a terrible option. What's the deal with that?
I've used it in a house that was built before the Second World War, and it got the same speed as the wireless from the router in the adjacent room.*

And it will only cost you $50, so if you're buying games at full price anyway, it's going to be worth the experiment.

* My PS4 was bought around Destiny, so it may have better Wi-Fi reception than the release models. I get 75% of my maximum speed on it.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Just to be clear, WiFi is actually good. It's not unmitigated crap.

Unfortunately, the PS4 only has a particularly crappy 2.4 ghz (horribly congested channel) 802.11n adapter.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I've found powerline extenders to be excellent, but YMMV.

weaaddar posted:

Just to be clear, WiFi is actually good. It's not unmitigated crap.

Unfortunately, the PS4 only has a particularly crappy 2.4 ghz (horribly congested channel) 802.11n adapter.

Whilst this does seem a bit backward there a like 0.1% of people who ever change their default router settings so I can see why Sony did this.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Since I didn't get it at launch, I payed over the odds for Shadow of Mordor, but I'm looking forward to it :)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway
I have a powerline extender that I had to give away. Worked great for the guy I gave it to. Didn't work so great for me - my house was built in 1961 and is basically a wiring mess.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
It would be really nice if people could say they dislike a game or like a game without someone calling them a troll or even worse; how someone liked this aspect, and it could have improved on this aspect, and acting like they are in a politically correct Activision review meeting of shipped titles because they may offend someone they work with in the industry that posts here.

Good lord just keep it real.

On a side note, I am not impressed with my PlayStation TV and I highly suggest people wait before purchasing.

Faults, some of which I knew about when purchasing, some I didn't.

1) 720p/1080i - No 1080p
2) All movies and TV shows (rent or buy) from the Sony store are SD only.
3) PS Vita games scale horribly bad to a TV.
4) Wireless Remote play is still very poor.
5) Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Youtube apps are not being shipped at launch.
6) Proprietary memory cards
7) Playing Vita games (If you have a Nyko controller attachment or any other type of attachment grip) is a complete pain in the rear end when you have to take apart the attachment, get the memory card out of your Vita, place it in the PS TV, and activate your titles. Doing that again once you want to transition back to your PS Vita. Why this doesn't have a remote play feature from the PS Vita to the PS TV with a direct connection similar to remote play with the Vita to the PS4 within a certain range on direct connection, is beyond me.

Overall, the device at it's price point is most definitely not worth it at the moment and if you are on the fence, I suggest waiting for a while.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 15, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Utnayan posted:

It would be really nice if people could say they dislike a game or like a game without someone posting about how they liked this aspect, and it could have improved on this aspect, and treating game reviewing on the forums of posting opinions like we all need to be in an Activision board meeting.

No it wouldn't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah everyone, shut the gently caress up about things that might help people decide.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Utnayan posted:

an Activision board meeting.

- Framerate is dodgy
- Doesn't control exactly like Call of Duty
+ Season pass available

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Neo Rasa posted:

- Framerate is dodgy
- Doesn't control exactly like Call of Duty
+ Season pass available

I love you.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Utnayan posted:

It would be really nice if people could say they dislike a game or like a game without someone posting about how they liked this aspect, and it could have improved on this aspect, and treating game reviewing on the forums of posting opinions like we all need to be in an Activision board meeting.

You're right, there is no need to engage in discussions of games in here, a sub forum for discussing games. That being said games is pretty terrible for reviews and acknowledging that opinions aren't objective fact. I also don't see why people bother posting stuff like "this game sucks/owns" without any elaboration.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

DrNutt posted:

You're right, there is no need to engage in discussions of games in here, a sub forum for discussing games. That being said games is pretty terrible for reviews and acknowledging that opinions aren't objective fact. I also don't see why people bother posting stuff like "this game sucks/owns" without any elaboration.

I re-read my quote and it was poorly worded. And still is now after an edit. My point is for people to quit worrying about offending anyone, it's ok to hate a game and it's ok to love a game without some idiot jumping down their throat to defend or attack it. Lots of developers post here. A lot know who they are based on handles on this forum. So sometimes it seems like they are too afraid to post opinions without backlash. We all know how the industry is when it comes to real criticism. (Meaning, none.)

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Probably true, but most modern routers you can buy offer both 2.4/5ghz network routing, even in the cheaper consumer models and set up both automatically. I have a several year old netgear router that I bought for 30 bucks that came with both 5ghz and 2.4 ghz network that I use as a repeater bridge for a desktop in my bedroom.

There was no reason for a device released in 2013 to only have a 2.4ghz only adapter.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

weaaddar posted:

There was no reason for a device released in 2013 to only have a 2.4ghz only adapter.

When you're trying to hit a specific price point while still profiting on hardware, I can see how it would happen.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

http://gamedealdaily.com/playstation-4/the-last-of-us-remastered-full-game-download/?clickid=wT51VD09dQ-mUwKTZA3LUSKRUkQQSsxR2Stjzc0

The Last Of Us Remastered digital download for $30. I beat the game three times on PS3 (Hard, Survivor, and Grounded) in addition to playing through both multiplayer campaigns and am still tempted to pick this up. Anyone who has never played the game should jump on this immediately.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah it really sounds like even the people that say they like Evil Within are sort of forcing themselves to like it. Every post I've read is like "it's fun! Except for the terrible checkpoints, low framerate, frustrating deaths, and so-so graphics."

I think the gameplay is solid, I love how tense it is and how fragile your guy feels while still being able to fight well enough when he has to. The art direction is great and makes up for the graphics being average. The writing is funny in a really off, dream logic way. That doesn't mean I'm not going to complain about its design flaws; it's not as smoothly designed as RE4 but it's a lot more entertaining than the rest of the RE games since.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

the truth posted:

http://gamedealdaily.com/playstation-4/the-last-of-us-remastered-full-game-download/?clickid=wT51VD09dQ-mUwKTZA3LUSKRUkQQSsxR2Stjzc0

The Last Of Us Remastered digital download for $30. I beat the game three times on PS3 (Hard, Survivor, and Grounded) in addition to playing through both multiplayer campaigns and am still tempted to pick this up. Anyone who has never played the game should jump on this immediately.

Was waiting on a sale for this, thanks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah everyone, shut the gently caress up about things that might help people decide.

Everyone can stop panicking now. Gamefly sent me my copy of TEW and as a NOT HORROR fan and also someone who is unbiased toward or against RE4 games, I will be giving my definitive one-sentence review in a couple hours. :)

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Reacean posted:

When you're trying to hit a specific price point while still profiting on hardware, I can see how it would happen.

This, because the PS3 was a disaster for Sony at launch. It was overpriced & still sold at a loss on each unit for years. The PS4 had to be profitable from day 1 so Sony cut any corners it could cut (WiFi, hard disk, controller battery) and invested in what they thought was most important (in this case mainly the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM).

So yeah, the difference in price between a 2.4GHz only adapter and a better one might have been negligible on its own (say $5, I've really no idea?), but when you multiply that cost across millions of units it really adds up.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway
Yeah keep in mind increasing the cost of building the PS4 by one dollar at launch would mean that, right now, Sony would be 10 million dollars poorer. Crazy.

Edit: I really wish they had a better wireless solution as an add-on. I would pay for it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Reacean posted:

The bom on a wl18xx isn't much and Sony could get it even cheaper. There is no excuse.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

MZ posted:

This, because the PS3 was a disaster for Sony at launch. It was overpriced & still sold at a loss on each unit for years. The PS4 had to be profitable from day 1 so Sony cut any corners it could cut (WiFi, hard disk, controller battery) and invested in what they thought was most important (in this case mainly the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM).

So yeah, the difference in price between a 2.4GHz only adapter and a better one might have been negligible on its own (say $5, I've really no idea?), but when you multiply that cost across millions of units it really adds up.

Or a very poor decision in hindsight due to opportunity cost and poor planning if their overall strategy is to become a leader in the game streaming business, which is fairly evident given their applications of Remote Play and PlayStation now. If the goal for Sony is to move into the support/application business, they need to have the hardware to support that model and therefore common sense would dictate you spend an extra $5.00 on hardware that reflects well on your service platform strategy. The same reason why it was absolute retardation to release a PS TV set top device which could have also taken market share from Apple TV and Roku on the streaming side while offering it's PS4/Vita base way more than what it ended up doing. Which is a device that may have hit the mark if it was sold in conjunction with a PS3 in 2005.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 15, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Or they could throw in a 10-cent gigabit ethernet port. Oh, wait.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

haveblue posted:

Or they could throw in a 10-cent gigabit ethernet port. Oh, wait.

And the power supply to go with it. Do you think that you just glue the port to the board?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The PS4 does have an ethernet port :ssh:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Utnayan posted:

Or a very poor decision in hindsight due to opportunity cost and poor planning if their overall strategy is to become a leader in the game streaming business, which is fairly evident given their applications of Remote Play and PlayStation now. If the goal for Sony is to move into the support/application business, they need to have the hardware to support that model and therefore common sense would dictate you spend an extra $5.00 on hardware that reflects well on your service platform strategy. The same reason why it was absolute retardation to release a PS TV set top device which could have also taken market share from Apple TV and Roku on the streaming side while offering it's PS4/Vita base way more than what it ended up doing. Which is a device that may have hit the mark if it was sold in conjunction with a PS3 in 2005.

They gain nothing from that.

Nobody will buy it for a media device because it costs more for the Vita features.

Nobody is more likely to buy a more expensive device that does streaming that a device required to operate it already does.

The only potential customers they gain are people who actually want it as a Vita. And nobody actually wants a Vita.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

haveblue posted:

The PS4 does have an ethernet port :ssh:

But it wasn't 10c :ssh:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The save systems in Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within sap my will to play.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm not familiar with gamedealdaily. Is it legit? How does it work?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Looking to get rid of Destiny for Watchdogs on PS4. I understand the game comes codes that registers to your PSN account? How will it affect me if the game I trade for doesn't have one?

edit: sleeping dogs or watchdogs better?

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 15, 2014

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

They gain nothing from that.

Nobody will buy it for a media device because it costs more for the Vita features.

Nobody is more likely to buy a more expensive device that does streaming that a device required to operate it already does.

The only potential customers they gain are people who actually want it as a Vita. And nobody actually wants a Vita.

The Playstation TV costs the same as an Apple TV. They had an enormous opportunity here to invade households with a new set top that took advantage of abilities within a Sony ecosystem that Apple, Roku, or Amazon as of today cannot touch. In addition to providing the same usefulness of a traditional set top. So in other words, they blew it. And if they want their PlayStation Now service and remote play ideas to take off, they need to have the hardware behind the service (And that service is always more profitable and easily justifiable enough to seed hardware within homes to create the target market)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just got to the credits scene in TEW. Early short review:

Limping is loving annoying. Performance so far is "ok". Fidelity of art/aesthetics is pretty nice. Some shadows are terrible. Chainsaw dude found me in one room but killed me in a canned cinematic in another.

[edit] Framerate gets dicey outdoors. Gun controls feel a little stiff.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 15, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Utnayan posted:

The Playstation TV costs the same as an Apple TV. They had an enormous opportunity here to invade households with a new set top that took advantage of abilities within a Sony ecosystem that Apple, Roku, or Amazon as of today cannot touch. In addition to providing the same usefulness of a traditional set top. So in other words, they blew it. And if they want their PlayStation Now service and remote play ideas to take off, they need to have the hardware behind the service (And that service is always more profitable and easily justifiable enough to seed hardware within homes to create the target market)

They're not adding all those licensed video services for free. It would cost more.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

James Woods Fan posted:

The save systems in Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within sap my will to play.
I hate when games have difficulties that only really exist to ruin your experience of a game.

Everyone's saying to play Medium, because dying on Hard is an antithesis of fun.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

lol internet. posted:

Looking to get rid of Destiny for Watchdogs on PS4. I understand the game comes codes that registers to your PSN account? How will it affect me if the game I trade for doesn't have one?

Sleeping Dogs is a much better game but apparently the remaster is pretty crappy.

Watch_Dogs is pretty good it just loses it's luster quickly.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lol internet. posted:

Sleeping Dogs, no question. Watch Dogs is a game you'll want to either rent or purchase for a heavily discounted price. If you've never played Sleeping Dogs, you're in for a treat.

I'm just now noticing that both of these open-world GTA-esque games have "Dogs" in their titles :shepface:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

echronorian posted:

I'm not familiar with gamedealdaily. Is it legit? How does it work?

I just did it and it worked fine. Downloading to my PS4 remotely now. Code email was immediate.

Only weird thing was the Paypal checkout was to a person and not a company. Low risk purchase and seems to be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

sellouts posted:

I just did it and it worked fine. Downloading to my PS4 remotely now. Code email was immediate.

Only weird thing was the Paypal checkout was to a person and not a company. Low risk purchase and seems to be fine.
Worked for me too. Got an error when redeeming my code, but content was there on my account page and started the download. TLOU tonight! :dance:

• Locked thread