Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

like i want a job in patent litigation arguing invalidity for 101

that's all i want to do
That's not as fun as you think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ersatz posted:

Yep. My understanding from ~sources~ is that the USPTO isn't going to bother giving examiners guidance this time because they're terrified that they'll get it wrong if they do. Unless your SPE says otherwise, I think the smart thing for an examiner to do for now is just to pretend that 101 doesn't exist.

I haven't heard anything about it but it sure seems that way

challenge every patent as issued in an arbitrary and capricious manner in contravention of the APA because of such

if they overturned board decisions because of a confirmation clause issue this should work too I guess who knows

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the thing I'm more pissed about is that I'm getting in "trouble" (not really but still) about poo poo like "I made a 101 rejection that's neither supported nor contradicted by any guidance" and yeah have fun charging a clear error on that

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

In Texas being a District Judge means being able to go to social events and raise money. The work in Court gets in the way of this usually and is secondary.

Dude. Dude dude dude.

CPS case today. Judge asks daughter if she ever spent the night elsewhere. She denies. Judge asks grandfather in the audience who lives with her. "She's gone all the time."

Judge points at her. "You lied to me. Bailiff, hold her in contempt."

Off to jail she goes.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

CaptainScraps posted:

Dude. Dude dude dude.

CPS case today. Judge asks daughter if she ever spent the night elsewhere. She denies. Judge asks grandfather in the audience who lives with her. "She's gone all the time."

Off to jail she goes.

This is beautiful.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Dude. Dude dude dude.

Off to jail she goes.

Whoa

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

mastershakeman posted:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-sovereign-citizen-sentencing-met-20141014-story.html

I think the weirdest part is that she should've been a generic rich woman due to Nick Anderson but nope.
"Sovereign citizens" might be the only people funnier and more insane than creationists. Related judicial smackdown:

quote:

Defendant has filed yet another document entitled “Mandatory Judicial Notice.” (See Dkts. #99, 86, 66, 59, 58.) The “Mandatory Judicial Notice” notifies the Court that Defendant “relies in good faith on the public/commercial REGISTRY entries as published at https://www.peoplestrust1776.org inclusive of Universal Law Ordinance, UCC #2012096074 . . . .” For lack of a better term, this is gobbledygook. The Court is unsure of the document’s purpose, and given its undecipherable nature, no response is expected from the Government.

Defendant is apparently a member of a group loosely styled “sovereign citizens.” The Court has deduced this from a number of Defendant’s peculiar habits. First, like Mr. Leaming, sovereign citizens are fascinated by capitalization. They appear to believe that capitalizing names has some sort of legal effect. For example, Defendant writes that “the REGISTERED FACTS appearing in the above Paragraph evidence the uncontroverted and uncontrovertible FACTS that the SLAVERY SYSTEMS operated in the names UNITED STATES, United States, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, and United States of America . . . are terminated nunc pro tunc by public policy, U.C.C. 1-103 . . . .” (Def.’s Mandatory Jud. Not. at 2.) He appears to believe that by capitalizing “United States,” he is referring to a different entity than the federal government. For better or for worse, it’s the same country.

Second, sovereign citizens, like Mr. Leaming, love grandiose legalese. “COMES NOW, Kenneth Wayne, born free to the family Leaming, 20 December 1955, constituent to The People of the State of Washington constituted 1878 and admitted to the union 22 February 1889 by Act of Congress, a Man, “State of Body” competent to be a witness and having First Hand Knowledge of The FACTS . . . .” (Def.’s Mandatory Jud. Not. at 1.)

Third, Defendant evinces, like all sovereign citizens, a belief that the federal government is not real and that he does not have to follow the law. Thus, Defendant argues that as a result of the “REGISTERED FACTS,” the “states of body, persons, actors and other parties perpetuating the above captioned transaction(s) [i.e., the Court and prosecutors] are engaged . . . in acts of TREASON, and if unknowingly as victims of TREASON and FRAUD . . . .” (Def.’s Mandatory Jud. Not. at 2.)

The Court therefore feels some measure of responsibility to inform Defendant that all the fancy legal-sounding things he has read on the internet are make-believe. Defendant can call himself a “public minister” and “private attorney general,” he may file “mandatory judicial notices” citing all his favorite websites, he can even address mail to the “Washington Republic.” But at the end of the day, while sovereign citizens and Defendant cite things like “Universal Law Ordinances,” they are subject to both state and federal laws, just like everyone else.

For the reasons stated above, no response is required by the Government.
source, document 102

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

CaptainScraps posted:

Dude. Dude dude dude.

Off to jail she goes.

I've told everyone in the family section about this. Everyone is loving it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ersatz posted:

That's not as fun as you think it is.

Yes it is. Easy boilerplate argument that PTAB institutes on, getting you a stay most of the time, then the patentee invariably settles for cheap or drops the case to get out of the CBM review.

I mean, as long as you think winning is fun.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kalman posted:

Yes it is. Easy boilerplate argument that PTAB institutes on, getting you a stay most of the time, then the patentee invariably settles for cheap or drops the case to get out of the CBM review.

I mean, as long as you think winning is fun.
It's something that I do all the time and, yeah, winning is great, but I've been working until 3-5 am far too often for it to be "fun".

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

the thing I'm more pissed about is that I'm getting in "trouble" (not really but still) about poo poo like "I made a 101 rejection that's neither supported nor contradicted by any guidance" and yeah have fun charging a clear error on that

Are you in a 3600 art unit? I'm seeing the exact opposite thing in most of my cases in 3600. Lengthy, specific claims with clear technological improvements being distilled down to ridiculously simple and broad "abstract ideas", and the examiners that issue the rejections being backed up by their SPEs despite us presenting some pretty well-reasoned arguments. I've also had a couple of cases pulled from allowance where Examiners have told me "Sorry, I want to allow this case but my art unit isn't letting anything past the 101 review panel, you're hosed until we get final guidelines". On the other hand, my non-3600 cases continue to sail through with no 101 problems, even when they're directed primarily to software implementations.

If anything, it's reassuring to hear that at least some people at the supervisory level are aware of some of the half-assed garbage 101 rejections that some examiners are giving (not saying you're one of them). We either need final guidelines from the USPTO or Federal Circuit guidance upholding something as patentable under 101 under the Alice test soon, because the current state of affairs is infuriating for both attorneys and examiners.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

NJ Deac posted:

Are you in a 3600 art unit?

No

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
At least you can appeal though.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Job goes up on job board, I like job description, I send in application, they call me same day and have lovely conversation with lady on other end about position and firm.

Google named partner, he was publicly censured in 2011 for misconduct from 2005/2006 where he filed several things late/missed deadlines. According to the records he hasn't had any issues since 2007, but how much of a red flag is this?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Direwolf posted:

Job goes up on job board, I like job description, I send in application, they call me same day and have lovely conversation with lady on other end about position and firm.

Google named partner, he was publicly censured in 2011 for misconduct from 2005/2006 where he filed several things late/missed deadlines. According to the records he hasn't had any issues since 2007, but how much of a red flag is this?

A little, but not much, I would think. Warning signs for lovely employer include, but aren't limited to:
- Husband/Wife partners
- High turnover
- Excessive number of paralegals to lawyers (most of the time - not so much in volume practices)
- Offering higher-than-reasonable salary to young, inexperienced applicants
- Looking for Quasi-lawyer position (JD but no license/Strange job description)
- Offering solely or mostly "performance based compensation."

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but every horror story I've ever heard includes multiple of the foregoing. Husband/Wife partners being the absolute worst.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

blarzgh posted:

Husband/Wife partners being the absolute worst.
see also

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also, super small firms (1-5 attorneys) can be a crap-shoot. Some are just absolutely wonderful, like my first job. Some are small because they suck and can't grow because of the way they manage themselves.

Again, some are awesome and some suck - I've just developed the belief that there is a larger variation amongst small firms in terms of quality of employment.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I wish I could take your avatar and make it of Tony Romo, except with the sparks flying out of his butt.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

I feel like this also covers people that like to put themselves on reality TV.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'd usually be a little leery of public censure, just because it makes me nervous about the quality of the work coming out of the office and whether you'd learn how to do a decent job. Since it's censure for late filings, that's not a big deal. Everybody misses deadlines. On the other hand, getting public censure for late filings must have been a colossal screw-up (if it's bar censure, anyways) and is either a good story or a sign that something is wrong.

That said, ask around and see what other people say about the quality of the office. And yeah, blarzgh's advice is spot on.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I just had a 45 minute conference call about Ebola from our directors.

Why.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Value of judgment to void by motion: $1,000,000
Deadline to file motion: 5PM 10/16
Deadline discovered: 3PM 10/16
Motion filed: 4:50PM 10/16

gently caress yeah. License intact!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

woozle wuzzle posted:

Value of judgment to void by motion: $1,000,000
Deadline to file motion: 5PM 10/16
Deadline discovered: 3PM 10/16
Motion filed: 4:50PM 10/16

gently caress yeah. License intact!

Ain't no boner like the boner that comes after barely scraping past a malpractice claim. Like three and a half inches of blue steel peeking out of my pocket

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
welp job interview on Monday

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

welp job interview on Monday
Congrats. Large firm or a boutique?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I just had a 45 minute conference call about Ebola from our directors.

Why.

I got an all office email about Ebola safety and some poor idiot to call if you're a hypochondriac and think you got Ebola from watching the news.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Note to self: If you're running midlane Ryze, try taking exhaust.

In other news, even if your team feeds a bit early game if you're careful and can manage the right rotations (and get lucky with your team beginning to get competent) you can still win! http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=Arcturas86 if anyone wants to watch and give me pointers. (the Ryze game) We were 5/10 at some point early game, and I went 0/3/1 and fed to a 3/0/0 Zed early on too. But I turned it around pretty nicely.

I was forced to play mid even though I haven't played mid in about 8 months because a duo team didn't tell us they were duoing until people had locked top and jungle, but I think it worked out okay.

I feel like I should have done a better job poking Zed with my Q early on to keep him low, so he couldn't all-in me very easily. Also after he turned 6 he tried to all-in me and I stuck around afterwards so he could kill me in a bit rather than backing to heal up. Whoops.

This was also the first time I tried smartcasting and it is SO MUCH BETTER on Ryze. I'm not sure I'll keep it on Janna or some of my other champs, but man oh man did it make hitting all my buttons easier. I could just chase someone while spamming w and that's how we got a few picks (Janna movespeed and occasional R movespeed helped too, of course).

I wasn't really sure what I was doing item-wise after I got my RoA and Archangels (and completely forgot to use my AA Staff ability). I got the Frozen Heart because I saw someone do that in the Worlds matches and figured the armor would be good against Draven + Zed (plus a little Jayce? I never know what damage he does). After that I picked up the Void Staff because I could and it was on the recommended list but I didn't really have a good idea what to get in that slot.

My proudest moment was after a reasonable fight midlane I swung bottom to push the lane a bit. I saw Diana coming bot to gank me/chase me off thanks to a ward I left by their red a few minutes ago (YES WARDING! SO GOOD). I ran a little back but hid around the corner of the terrain as you come up out of the river into bot lane, then just ambushed Diana and nuked her with basically one and a half rotations. (QRWEQ, maybe something else in there) It felt so good to finally stop running and just nuke someone solo.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 17, 2014

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arcturas posted:

In other news, even if your team feeds a bit early game if you're careful and can manage the right rotations (and get lucky with your team beginning to get competent) you can still win! http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=Arcturas86 if anyone wants to watch and give me pointers. (the Ryze game) We were 5/10 at some point early game, and I went 0/3/1 and fed to a 3/0/0 Zed early on too. But I turned it around pretty nicely.

I was forced to play mid even though I haven't played mid in about 8 months because a duo team didn't tell us they were duoing until people had locked top and jungle, but I think it worked out okay.

I feel like I should have done a better job poking Zed with my Q early on to keep him low, so he couldn't all-in me very easily. Also after he turned 6 he tried to all-in me and I stuck around afterwards so he could kill me in a bit rather than backing to heal up. Whoops.

This was also the first time I tried smartcasting and it is SO MUCH BETTER on Ryze. I'm not sure I'll keep it on Janna or some of my other champs, but man oh man did it make hitting all my buttons easier. I could just chase someone while spamming w and that's how we got a few picks (Janna movespeed and occasional R movespeed helped too, of course).

I wasn't really sure what I was doing item-wise after I got my RoA and Archangels (and completely forgot to use my AA Staff ability). I got the Frozen Heart because I saw someone do that in the Worlds matches and figured the armor would be good against Draven + Zed (plus a little Jayce? I never know what damage he does). After that I picked up the Void Staff because I could and it was on the recommended list but I didn't really have a good idea what to get in that slot.

My proudest moment was after a reasonable fight midlane I swung bottom to push the lane a bit. I saw Diana coming bot to gank me/chase me off thanks to a ward I left by their red a few minutes ago (YES WARDING! SO GOOD). I ran a little back but hid around the corner of the terrain as you come up out of the river into bot lane, then just ambushed Diana and nuked her with basically one and a half rotations. (QRWEQ, maybe something else in there) It felt so good to finally stop running and just nuke someone solo.

Agreed.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Arcturas posted:

League of Lawyers

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Arcturas posted:

Same.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
What

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Arcturas posted:

i'm gay too

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I recognize that as English and yet I don't understand one bit of it.

Edit: is that that league of legends the kids are playing these days

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
TS AAAYYYYYYYEM

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
same

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Arcturas posted:

More of that patent lawyer bullshit

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Welp. That was supposed to go in the league newbie thread. That's what I get for posting beforeafter drinking.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
What I know about League of Legends: Its called DOTA?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ersatz posted:

Congrats. Large firm or a boutique?

10 partners, 5 associates, 5 senior counsel, 5 of counsel, so ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Dat leverage.