Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After watching the new ep I gotta say that dang, Yuu's melodrama was kinda weighing it down for me (especially when combined with having to save the club again). Though at least it looks like it's taken care of for the time being; does look like the next episode is gonna be funnier than this one.

Not that I dislike what we've seen so far but I'm enjoying G-Reco way more. But at least for the moment it's a nice appetizer I can look forward to the day before the main course, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

For the most part, yeah, but like the G-Fighter combined with Gundam or the Moebius from SEED are also both Mobile Armors. I'd feel bad for the guy who wanted to customize his Moebius and is stuck fighting 3v1 because of it.

Well, Fumina did specify 'heavy Mobile Armour' when mantis-dude whipped out the Agrissa. So I guess a Jamru Fin or Moebius team would still be kosher.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Srice posted:

After watching the new ep I gotta say that dang, Yuu's melodrama was kinda weighing it down for me (especially when combined with having to save the club again). Though at least it looks like it's taken care of for the time being; does look like the next episode is gonna be funnier than this one.

Not that dislike what we've seen so far but I'm enjoying G-Reco way more. But at least for the moment it's a nice appetizer I can look forward to the day before the main course, so to speak.

I love the melodrama, personally. People being so super serious about their plastic robots that shoot one another just kinda reads as a comedy to me, and was the kind of show I watched religiously while younger (Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade.)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

I love the melodrama, personally. People being so super serious about their plastic robots that shoot one another just kinda reads as a comedy to me, and was the kind of show I watched religiously while younger (Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade.)

Oh don't get me wrong, more often than not I'm down with it and heck, it's practically the lifeblood of sports anime. It's mainly Yuu's melodrama in particular. But I'm not worried since at this point he has nowhere to go but up. I've seen a few characters a little similar to him that I initially disliked but gradually became my favorites (recent example: Rei in Free!) so I'm down for seeing what will happen to him as he gets into the swing of things.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I just realized a grown rear end man beat a child in a game of gundam fight and gloated about it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

I just realized a grown rear end man beat a child in a game of gundam fight and gloated about it.

This is a show where grown rear end men get beaten by children 99/100 times. Its probably an achievement :v:

e-Thinking about it Yuu with his glasses and cool demeanor initially gave me vibes that he was going to be the brains of the team but I dont think thats going to be the case. He's going to be deep covert pervert of the group like Neji (springtime type). Explains his reaction to Sekai's sister and why he goes trough the trouble of making her a suit

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 15, 2014

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Gyanko!

Also Sekai's sister owns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looking forward to Fumina getting saved by other people every episode. :bravo:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Looking forward to Fumina getting saved by other people every episode. :bravo:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e-Thinking about it Yuu with his glasses and cool demeanor initially gave me vibes that he was going to be the brains of the team but I dont think thats going to be the case. He's going to be deep covert pervert of the group like Neji (springtime type). Explains his reaction to Sekai's sister and why he goes trough the trouble of making her a suit

He's going to be the brains in that he is the elite builder trained by the last series protagonist. At very least he's probably likely to do building gimmicks and if the fist isn't the Winning Gundam or made by Fumina, it's gonna be his.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, the opening was so packed I'm basically watching it frame by frame. Interesting things I've noticed:
-As shown before, Sekai's master, gender-bent Domon.
-This guy. Possible rival for Yuuma? Doesn't seem to be the same guy that wrecked him at the start of the episode.
-Team "we all use customized versions of the same suit", but we already knew about them.
-Gyanko (who does use a Gyan, what the hell is wrong with you Yuuma?)
-This guy, who uses a (lightly-customized?) Destiny Gundam. Possible rival for Sekai, no doubt. Even uses the Shining Finger!
-Whoever the hell that woman with the weird glasses is, she's definitely connected to a returning character - Meijin's back. His Gunpla's shown behind him, but I can't make out what it's meant to be.
-Mysterious adult duo. The guy in the right looks too much like Gendo to trust him, and the one on the left is rocking one hell of a ponytail. Likely evil.
-Another rival team in the ending, using a transforming MS (Yuuma's opponent), a pink/lavender Gundam (Fumina's, designated girl fight) and a blue MS with a gigantic cannon (Sekai's, only one we get to see the face of). I'm bad at recognising units, someone better than me might want to point out what they are, although the pink one looks like a Victory Gundam (with the Sword Strike's...err...sword).
-Finally, Sekai preparing for a Big Bang Punch or something. Combines his Gunpla with a gigantic hand which I'm pretty sure, despite people arguing otherwise before in the thread, that it is the Winning Gundam.
Also, it seems to suggest (alongside the ending) that Fumina's not dropping the Powered GM Cardigan so soon, considering how it shows her with it at first and only later with the Winning Gundam. I expected her to drop it as soon as the team was formed, if that.

...I admit, I did all of this only as an excuse to keep listening to the opening because it is really good.

About the episode itself...can't say I care much about Yuuma, but he works well as the serious dude to put in awkward situations by Sekai and Fumina so it's fine. Sekai keeps being cool, and Fumina's awesome. Mantis bastard got what was coming to him. I don't know what more to say, it was a good episode, probably not as good as the previous one but still very much enjoyable. Looking forward to the next, when Best Character's sister (Try's possible Best Character) will finally appear.

Also I really don't get the complaints about Fumina, she only needed to get rescued because of blatant cheating. Had Mantis Man played by the rules, he clearly would've gotten his rear end handed to him. And if the situation would have had Yuuma or Sekai in Fumina's place...okay, Sekai would've likely broken out through sheer force of will, but Yuuma would have needed help too.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 15, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Winning gundam is mentioned on the official site to be Fumina's post nationals mech. So if like last season it would be a mid season upgrade. The fist does have Fumina's color scheme so it could be either winning or just something she makes for Sekai.

Intro/Outro's in this show shouldn't really be considered for much because from last season you couldn't discern anything of worth from them. Like you'd see a lot of characters in them just to have them get owned in a few seconds, sometimes off screen.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Man I hope Fellini and Kirara return, they were tied with Aila and Reiji for funniest couple.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Fumina is cool but she and Sekai's sister once again confirm that anime has issues with making female character designs (for "teenagers")

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, the opening was so packed I'm basically watching it frame by frame. Interesting things I've noticed:
-As shown before, Sekai's master, gender-bent Domon.
-This guy. Possible rival for Yuuma? Doesn't seem to be the same guy that wrecked him at the start of the episode.
-Team "we all use customized versions of the same suit", but we already knew about them.
-Gyanko (who does use a Gyan, what the hell is wrong with you Yuuma?)
-This guy, who uses a (lightly-customized?) Destiny Gundam. Possible rival for Sekai, no doubt. Even uses the Shining Finger!
-Whoever the hell that woman with the weird glasses is, she's definitely connected to a returning character - Meijin's back. His Gunpla's shown behind him, but I can't make out what it's meant to be.
-Mysterious adult duo. The guy in the right looks too much like Gendo to trust him, and the one on the left is rocking one hell of a ponytail. Likely evil.
-Another rival team in the ending, using a transforming MS (Yuuma's opponent), a pink/lavender Gundam (Fumina's, designated girl fight) and a blue MS with a gigantic cannon (Sekai's, only one we get to see the face of). I'm bad at recognising units, someone better than me might want to point out what they are, although the pink one looks like a Victory Gundam (with the Sword Strike's...err...sword).
-Finally, Sekai preparing for a Big Bang Punch or something. Combines his Gunpla with a gigantic hand which I'm pretty sure, despite people arguing otherwise before in the thread, that it is the Winning Gundam.
Also, it seems to suggest (alongside the ending) that Fumina's not dropping the Powered GM Cardigan so soon, considering how it shows her with it at first and only later with the Winning Gundam. I expected her to drop it as soon as the team was formed, if that.

...I admit, I did all of this only as an excuse to keep listening to the opening because it is really good.

About the episode itself...can't say I care much about Yuuma, but he works well as the serious dude to put in awkward situations by Sekai and Fumina so it's fine. Sekai keeps being cool, and Fumina's awesome. Mantis bastard got what was coming to him. I don't know what more to say, it was a good episode, probably not as good as the previous one but still very much enjoyable. Looking forward to the next, when Best Character's sister (Try's possible Best Character) will finally appear.

Also I really don't get the complaints about Fumina, she only needed to get rescued because of blatant cheating. Had Mantis Man played by the rules, he clearly would've gotten his rear end handed to him. And if the situation would have had Yuuma or Sekai in Fumina's place...okay, Sekai would've likely broken out through sheer force of will, but Yuuma would have needed help too.

I can't check the op right now but the pinkish Gundam was Impulse Gundam from SEED. It's probably supposed to be Impulse Rouge or something like that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like that Mirai is pretty much all "Hell yeah, go for it" about the whole gunpla thing rather than being the normal person who doesn't know what it is. Also I'm getting some Ali Al-Saachez vibes from the guy who owned Yuuma, and that is a good thing.

Overall the episode was a bit weak (from the animation side as well), but it's still an establishing one so I'll give it a pass. Plus next week is Sazaki's sister and the first real battle, looks like.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
OP was hype as hell. Destiny (:swoon:) and a Sword Victory Rouge! Also I'm sad to see the curse of Gundam X continues. God drat it Yuuma, why did you have to lose in an Airmaster Burst? :negative:

It's looking like Sekai is pretty much just a viewpoint character; aside from punching/kicking things with the Jigen Haoh technique of the week, he didn't do much at all. Pretty clearly the Fumina and Yuuma show.

ImpAtom posted:

I can't check the op right now but the pinkish Gundam was Impulse Gundam from SEED. It's probably supposed to be Impulse Rouge or something like that.

It's a recolored Victory with the Sword Silhouette.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fifty posts in the thread after the new episode is out? I bet ImpAtom threw a fit over Fuumina having to be rescued from the Agrissa.

Oh look, ImpAtom threw a fit.

Good episode overall. Fuumina showed that she can beat the everloving poo poo out of the Plamo club president provided he plays by tournament rules. I suspect the Agrissa is banned in tournament rules because it is overpowered. The thing pretty much exists to lock down a single unit. If I recall correctly, I think it is the only non-GN powered unit from 00 to ever flat out defeat a gundam 1 on 1.

New opening is great, after credits scene was great. I actually find Sekai's sister to be delightfully amusing. Solid episode other than a slight drop in animation quality that is pretty much expected for a non-key episode of build fighters.

That Deathscythe hybrid thing is creepy as all hell.

Caros fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 15, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

It's a recolored Victory with the Sword Silhouette.

Are you sure? I checked it out because I thought the same thing but it had the Impulse's chest, not the Victory's. (I admittedly looked very quickly.)

Caros posted:

I suspect the Agrissa is banned in tournament rules because it is overpowered.

Yes, I'm sure in a setting where the Turn-X Gundam can be effortlessly owned by a Gyan, they're worried about overpowered units.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 15, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Come on man, how can you mistake that v-fin? :colbert:

Also that is very clearly the Victory's chest.

quote:

GW-9800-B Gundam Airmaster (X)
RMS-116H Hobby Hizack (CCA)
AEU-MA07013 Agrissa Type 13 (00)

Episode was pretty cameo light. Fair enough, last episode was insane.

EDIT: Took another look, and whoops it's just vanilla Airmaster. Makes sense, the HG just came out.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 17, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Come on man, how can you mistake that v-fin? :colbert:

Nope, you're right. That's pretty cool. We didn't see a lot of cross-series combos last season.

BlitzBlast posted:

Episode was pretty cameo light. Fair enough, last episode was insane.

Do the op. :colbert:

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, I'm sure in a setting where the Turn-X Gundam can be effortlessly owned by a Gyan, they're worried about overpowered units.

Judging by the two pieces of evidence we have on the matter, 00 gundam and this fight, the Agrissa has what is effectively a 1 hit, certain kill move. If the Agrissa traps a pilot in its electric field it wins the fight unless someone intervenes. Which is probably one of the reasons it is banned (along with a standard ban on mobile armors).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Episode rocked, fight was awesome, new OP kicks all kinds of rear end. (New OP is called Cerulean.)

Also, trying to discern what the hell it was that chumped Yuuma's Airmaster in the cold opening:

I can see the wings from the Deathscythe Hell Endless Waltz version and two of the extendable arms are from the Nataku... and I cannot for the life of me make out anything else in that horrid kitbash. :psyduck:

Caros posted:

That Deathscythe hybrid thing is creepy as all hell.

I'm calling it the "Kitbash Hell Custom" until we get an actual name for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Judging by the two pieces of evidence we have on the matter, 00 gundam and this fight, the Agrissa has what is effectively a 1 hit, certain kill move. If the Agrissa traps a pilot in its electric field it wins the fight unless someone intervenes. Which is probably one of the reasons it is banned (along with a standard ban on mobile armors).

Last season the Adzam Leaders did the same thing. And again, it's hard to get more effectively instant-win than the Moonlight Butterfly.

(Also the Agrissa doesn't work the way it does in Gundam 00. The entire point of the Agrissa's thing in 00 is that it didn't damage the machines. It was specifically designed to kill and injure pilots. It was designed to avoid units exploding.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It has Hydra wings too.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Really enjoyed the episode, seems that the Yuuma drama is mostly over(until they encounter the person who caused it in the finals and he has PTSD problems), so next week we can move on to more traditional Build Fighters.

Oh, and man is this thread so much better to read with ImpAtom ignored.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zedd posted:

Fumina is cool but she and Sekai's sister once again confirm that anime has issues with making female character designs (for "teenagers")

Mirai isn't even that popular right now, her shtick is pretty common (Which is why I liked when she tells her bro to use his fist to make the emo understand). Fumina and Gyanko(of all characters) are way more popular than her right now. I can understand Fumina with her stupid spandex clothing being popular but Kaoruko is a mystery.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Karuoko is popular because Sazaki is popular and she's his sister. Also she has a pretty nonstandard character design that makes her stand out.

Caros
May 14, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm calling it the "Kitbash Hell Custom" until we get an actual name for it.

I like it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Last season the Adzam Leaders did the same thing. And again, it's hard to get more effectively instant-win than the Moonlight Butterfly.

(Also the Agrissa doesn't work the way it does in Gundam 00. The entire point of the Agrissa's thing in 00 is that it didn't damage the machines. It was specifically designed to kill and injure pilots. It was designed to avoid units exploding.)

Except that they probably toned down moonlight butterfly. My point is that I expect that they left the Agrissa at 'Mobile Armor' levels of power, which is why it is not tournament legal. Losing to something that is significantly more powerful is not a failing, and unlike a lot of poorly written female characters Fuumina didn't break down crying or give up when caught in the field.

I think the way they have the Agrissa working in this is the best approximation that you could manage in Gunpla battle. Can't exactly electrocute the player, so you have it slowly damage the unit over time while keeping it largely immobile.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I don't think the Agrissa was banned in particular, there's just a generic "no MAs on the team because they're all kind of bullshit".

ImpAtom posted:

Do the op. :colbert:

Uh there's the protagonist suits, the SBS in the poster at the beginning, a Wing and a Red Frame being assembled, the three EZ-SR types, R-Gyagya, a well-animated Destiny (:swoon:), an unidentified Gundam (looks heavily armored), Gouf R35, a plane (the cockpit section reminds me of G-Falcon, but the back is too different), the aforementioned Sword Victory Rouge, and a Hyaku Shiki with the Zeta's Hyper Mega Launcher.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
So, if that connection thing really is Winning docking with Build Burning, I hope that means they take this to its logical conclusion.

Episode was pretty neat, more establishing and a bit of character building, and goddamn do I love that OP. :allears:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This is a show where grown rear end men get beaten by children 99/100 times. Its probably an achievement :v:

You shouldn't be allowed into Gundam Fight Centers as an adult unless you are just watching your kids.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Except that they probably toned down moonlight butterfly. My point is that I expect that they left the Agrissa at 'Mobile Armor' levels of power, which is why it is not tournament legal. Losing to something that is significantly more powerful is not a failing, and unlike a lot of poorly written female characters Fuumina didn't break down crying or give up when caught in the field.

Again, this is not remotely how Gunpla Battles work. The canonical power level isn't important and "this weapon defeats things in a single shot" being illegal would invalidate huge chunks of Gundam weaponry because most of it is designed to defeat an enemy in a single shot if they're hit by it.

We're never given even the remotest indication that canonical power level matters. That is in fact a lesson Sei learned in S1.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Sharkopath posted:

You shouldn't be allowed into Gundam Fight Centers as an adult unless you are just watching your kids.

Unless you A) Ride in on a horse

B) are cosplaying as Ramba Ral

C) have a mysterious past and intend to antagonize a few small children.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think it's more that the Agrissa was sent in mid-battle than anything. Other gimmicks you guys compared it to don't really count because they're already there from round start. It's a fourth machine in their lineup.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pyronic posted:

Unless you A) Ride in on a horse

B) are cosplaying as Ramba Ral

C) have a mysterious past and intend to antagonize a few small children.

Fixed that for you.

Also I think the illegal thing wasn't because of the Agrissa's power, but merely because the MS MantisMan was using was the Enact. Adding a completely separate Mobile Armour, fusion ability or not, to the field is basically adding a fourth player to his team. At least, that's how I saw it.

Then again, considering one of his teammates got killed without doing anything and the other betrayed him, plus he was really overpowered...maybe he did need the help.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Show is still good. Also :ironicat: on some posts

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
...so where does that leave Sei's dad? Or Fellini?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's more that the Agrissa was sent in mid-battle than anything. Other gimmicks you guys compared it to don't really count because they're already there from round start. It's a fourth machine in their lineup.

This is my take on it as well, it as being "illegal" because he didn't start out with it, he added it in the middle of battle. G-Bits, mobile armors and the like can be fine, but only if you start out with it; if you start out with a base Justice or GP-03, you can't suddenly add the Meteor pack or Dendrobium out of nowhere, unless maybe if it were being controlled by other people at the start as well. Even in the case of the DX from last season, his G-Bits were being controlled by other people so most likely he started out with them.

In other words, it was illegal because he summoned a bunch of monsters in one turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

After giving both another listen, I'd have to say I'd still rank One Half as the best OP of the three. Cerulean probably beats out Wimp though.

• Locked thread