Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Vichan posted:

Decided to run a game in observer mode to see what the AI'd be up to when this happened:

:what:

Karloman's 7 year old son is king now, this could be promising!

I had that same thing happen but he died in 782 before he could really do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Burgundian vikings! :black101:

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
I knew it was going to be hilarious, but I decided not to bother with trying to keep the old version and just roll on and see what happened. Francia at this point consisted of everything from Spain to Bohemia, just about all of Italy (save maybe 1 duchy still in Byzantine hands), and all of Britannia. The only king vassal I had at that point was Scotland. Sadly, after the untimely death of Loup II whilst fighting some lovely vikings, the Empire was inherited by his brother Guy at age 7 or something. I think I had just about made it to 12 by the time I left it. Empire was fairly stable, with only one large Independence faction which was pretty easy to placate with gold whenever it got too big.

A day passes...

Chaos reigns in the Empire. My vassal limit is about half what it would need to be, I'm now over my demesne limit by a few, and the Independence faction is now at 150% of my strength. I check on that last one first; turns out my vassals are all so furious at how over the limit I am that they're now contributing 0 levies. I gotta drop vassals and fast. No problem, I've got a bunch of kingdom titles knocking about, I'll hand out a few viceroyalties and we're good to go. Except... the crown law for viceroyalties was never set, and since I'm still in a regency, I can't change it. So I'm forced to give out actual kingdoms; Italy takes care of a bunch (too many, I'm sure I'm going to regret losing it at some point), I create and hand out Andalusia, I give England back to the guy who held it before the previous emperor pressed his personal claim, and I give out Ireland and Burgundy to the guys there who hate me least. That still left me over, but the penalty was much more manageable. Now I just needed to ride out a few more years of regency and then clean up the mess. Sure enough, Guy comes of age, marries some genius Greek lady, and changes the goddamn crown law so he can name viceroys. Perfect. Germany and Aquitaine get new Viceroys, my vassal count is finally under the limit. All is set for a long and fruitful reign.

Until Guy dies of illness at 16 and passes the Empire to his 7 year old nephew. :suicide:
Either way it seems fairly stable right now, but I can't wait to see how quickly the empire all crumbles away.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So now the Abbasids just invaded Turkestan and Panjab. And who the gently caress's going to stop them at this rate? They're nearing 100K army size in 1072 with a realm size of over 1000, the next closest being somewhere around 300. Holy gently caress.

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007
I had a battle that was fairly even numbers wise (it was me vs. england, I was trying to just win real quick with my retinue+personal levy), had generals on everybody, but got totally slaughtered and I'm not sure why. There wasn't any defensive bonuses involved, both our stacks were 12,000ish, my generals weren't the greatest but they weren't garbage either. The only thing I can think of is that merging my retinue and levy into a doom stack made them lose, somehow. Would it have been better to keep them split up?

e: not sure what my army composition was, but well over half was heavy infantry thanks to my retinue.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
So what's the mechanic for transforming Hill Forts into proper Castles? I reformed a tribal to a feudal system and I'm getting sick of looking at that "Wrong Holding Type" button.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

DiseasedTempest posted:

I had a battle that was fairly even numbers wise (it was me vs. england, I was trying to just win real quick with my retinue+personal levy), had generals on everybody, but got totally slaughtered and I'm not sure why. There wasn't any defensive bonuses involved, both our stacks were 12,000ish, my generals weren't the greatest but they weren't garbage either. The only thing I can think of is that merging my retinue and levy into a doom stack made them lose, somehow. Would it have been better to keep them split up?

e: not sure what my army composition was, but well over half was heavy infantry thanks to my retinue.

Any of your generals shy or craven or whatever? The Hesitant Commander "tactic" is a pain in the dick and will lose you fights.

Without knowing what the composition of both stacks was it'll be hard to call

Zeroisanumber posted:

So what's the mechanic for transforming Hill Forts into proper Castles? I reformed a tribal to a feudal system and I'm getting sick of looking at that "Wrong Holding Type" button.

Adopt Feudalism all day erry day.

(if you have a tribal holding fully upgraded somewhere you'll get the opportunity to take the decision again)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

So, anyone know what it is I must manually disable?

Crazy Ted posted:

Start a game, the king has three wives die due to pneumonia within five years. Start another game, and the king has three wives die of pneumonia within ten years. I'm sensing a problem.

I noticed that too--apparently they jacked the "get pneumonia in childbirth and die soon after" rate way up in this patch, though I don't see any reference to it in the patch notes. I figured it was just the RNG until you said something.

evilmiera posted:

Got the patch and as predicted, my realm is completely screwed up. After painstakingly offering up all the vassals I could to my kings and dukes, I still had way more than the limit allowed, so I'm making no money whatsoever and my levies are at 0. Guess I'll wait for this to get resolved somehow.

I don't think that's going to get resolved--that's working as intended, not a bug.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Autonomous Monster posted:

Any of your generals shy or craven or whatever? The Hesitant Commander "tactic" is a pain in the dick and will lose you fights.

Without knowing what the composition of both stacks was it'll be hard to call

Yeah, I once lost a battle where I had the numbers advantage against a stack of peasants, mostly light inf, with my retinues due to the hesitant commander tactic. Traits are often much more important than high martial attribute.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Putting someone Cruel in charge of a siege really does seem to help a little.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Never had my liege try to have my heir educated by someone else specifically so he'd be my leige's culture instead of my own

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Never had my liege try to have my heir educated by someone else specifically so he'd be my leige's culture instead of my own

That was added in one or two patches ago, I think. It comes up a lot if you're not your liege's culture, and tanks your relations with him if you have a lot of kids. My reaction is invariably "I'm not necessarily opposed to that, but the person you're demanding I hand my heir over to is a drooling chucklefuck so, uh, no thanks."

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

So, anyone know what it is I must manually disable?

I'm guessing the new DLC.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Autonomous Monster posted:

Adopt Feudalism all day erry day.

(if you have a tribal holding fully upgraded somewhere you'll get the opportunity to take the decision again)

That is clunky & super-expensive (700g!) and I hope they fix it.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Because I know people from Paradox are reading this thread:
Can we please get an easier way to deal with prisoners? Either "Release/Ransom all" decisions or just make the release/ransom/execute buttons automatically do that with one click. It's just such a pain to deal with hundreds of prisoners, especially since most of them are worthless. If I click the ransom button, just send a ransom request instantly rather than bring up the diplomacy menu.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
My Charlemagne is pretty spry for an 81-year-old :sweep:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Back To 99 posted:

I'm guessing the new DLC.

Yeah, CM and any of the new graphical DLCs.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My Charlemagne died in battle before ever forming the empire so west and middle Francia are different kingdoms again. Also the caliph is getting beat on pretty hard and it wasn't even my doing.

He (the caliph is like 10 years old) is losing a holy war to this dude who has a total realm levy of 600 troops.

I just declared war to pick off some easy territory because his max levy is about 25,000 the same as mine. His current levy is barely 5000 guys.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
I also noticed after the patch all my Frankish culture guys were now French. Is there a specific trigger for that now? Is it going to make any difference?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Lamont Cranston posted:

I also noticed after the patch all my Frankish culture guys were now French. Is there a specific trigger for that now? Is it going to make any difference?

It's a melting pot event like the anglo-saxon -> english thing. Frankish has a different retinue type (straight HI) and is in the German rather than Latin culture group. I think that's about it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The "this character has claims on" tooltip is my favourite little new feature of the DLC.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is shift+drag+click to select only ships a new feature of this patch or was it added last patch? I know it was already in eu4.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Does this patch have a new "feature" where clicking on the bar beneath units (with the flag and strength of the army) doesn't select the unit? For me, it makes a clicking noise but nothing else happens, unless you click the unit itself. Tiny irritation, but annoying especially with a trackpad.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zeron posted:

A fringe problem that will only affect some games possibly and that is fairly easy to overcome through several methods is enough to stop you from playing? For gods sake if it bothers you that much just use the drat console, adventurers aren't common at all.

It happened to me often enough that the game stopped being fun. Here's what I'm talking about :

Fister Roboto posted:

So hey, here's some photographic evidence of "adventurer hosts are horribly broken": the adventurer here gets about 30k troops. With all my personal and vassal levies and my 7000 retinue troops (Ethiopian skirmishers, which is the only reason I have so many), I barely have over half their numbers. If I went all out and hired all the mercenaries and holy order troops available to me, they'd still outnumber me.

Here's my save from right before the invasion: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6T0HrwDQAQLVkFvSFR6X2FJMVE/edit?usp=sharing

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Idly scanning the merc list, I noticed that merc ships were effectively removed (you get 10 ships at a time for a huge pile of money rather than 100 now). Is that new or was that from some time ago? I'm not sure if anyone has ever hired merc ships anyway.

Re Adventurers: you can still console kill them, right? Not in Ironman, of course. At any rate it's pretty clear that adventurers are meant to be the equivalent of Chutes and Ladders square 87. You are supposed to lose.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Is it me, or have the COAs for each title been scrambled?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

It happened to me often enough that the game stopped being fun. Here's what I'm talking about :

clearly you don't like losing enough :rolleyes:. Adventurers have sucked since their inception (due to army strength) and since they've removed the assassination button we just have to suck them up.

In other words, gently caress this mechanic.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

Is shift+drag+click to select only ships a new feature of this patch or was it added last patch? I know it was already in eu4.

It's been in the game for ages, since before Old Gods at least, maybe even since launch. Though I didn't find out about it until I had already played the game for some time.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
It's a small thing, but I really like the seasonal changes they added. It always bugged me in my Scandinavia game that Europe was locked in an endless summer, and I don't even use the terrain map very often. Plus it means that winter in the Game of Thrones mod will get a little graphical boost.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

double nine posted:

clearly you don't like losing enough :rolleyes:. Adventurers have sucked since their inception (due to army strength) and since they've removed the assassination button we just have to suck them up.

In other words, gently caress this mechanic.

Yeah it could be different and still effective. Have adventurers trigger due to a hidden factor like just conquered a bunch of land, just finished a long war, a large religious or cultural revolt just happened, there is a huge faction that is likely to revolt, you are in a regency, you are a female, you are weak/incapable/craven, ect. Make it so they still "scale to x" where x is 50% of your levies. Just randomly out of the blue forming a host to invade with is strange and dumb. Forming a host to take advantage of a child holding a throne, or a weak rear end in a top hat holding a throne, or whatever, is smarter and more sensible. Make it so if an adventurer is invading your neighbor is more likely to say "well poo poo, he'll be distracted! and attack".

pdxjohan posted:

There are nobody from the EU4 team on the CK2 team.. (unless you count artists and QA)

I am going to be honest with you and say that your QA people suck at their jobs. I am not saying I could do it better (I probably could once I established a method and list of what to do) but the people you have doing it miss A LOT, and they do it OFTEN.

That being said, I think Paradox does great things and I will continue to buy Paradox products, but I will be doing it once those products go on sale because by the time they go on sale the bugs may (but are not always) fixed. tl;dr you could be getting more money out of me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 15, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Like a few other issues with this game, hosts would make more sense if the game kept track of population. Like if an area has lots of spare young men, a large host will form around a local character. Would also make for a better black death, better religious/cultural revolts, and better mongols.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Did you always get claims on the titles belonging to everyone in a revolt that you started once the revolt ended?

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 15, 2014

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

Holy poo poo are the Zunists bland as gently caress. I'm pagan but can't raid my neighbors? gently caress that. The metal as gently caress execution method doesn't even give any popups for the executioner. I want to hear all about how my prisoners got baked under the sun damnit!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I just booted up the game as the Byzantine Emperor and saw that myself and half my court are Iconoclasts. Not a big deal, but within like 3 years all of my provinces had converted to the Iconoclast heresy of their own accord. That seems somewhat fast.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Do adventurers spawn without warning or are they like a norse invasion attempt in that you get an 2-year notice before the adventurer actually attacks you. I can't remember. Just getting an advance warning allowing you to prepare would do a little to alleviate the bullshit.

I still don't like that they removed assassination.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So far my feelings are that the patch changes and the addition of viceroys are very nice, but the 769 start itself is pretty meh, since its basically the same as 867 except much more blobby. That said I haven't had a chance to play any game very far past the death of Karl, so maybe things get shaken up, but it's hard to imagine the Abbasid mega tumor or the Byzantines ever being dislodged. Railroading it so dramatically that Saxons are always hosed and that East and West Francia will nearly always combine doesn't help in that regard, either.

I do think the tribal stuff is very cool though!

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

double nine posted:

Do adventurers spawn without warning or are they like a norse invasion attempt in that you get an 2-year notice before the adventurer actually attacks you. I can't remember. Just getting an advance warning allowing you to prepare would do a little to alleviate the bullshit.

I still don't like that they removed assassination.

Same, having to rely solely on plots is just...I don't know, it definitely doesn't add to the fun.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Idly scanning the merc list, I noticed that merc ships were effectively removed (you get 10 ships at a time for a huge pile of money rather than 100 now). Is that new or was that from some time ago? I'm not sure if anyone has ever hired merc ships anyway.

IIRC the ship mercs don't show up till 1066.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Apoffys posted:

Because I know people from Paradox are reading this thread:
Can we please get an easier way to deal with prisoners? Either "Release/Ransom all" decisions or just make the release/ransom/execute buttons automatically do that with one click. It's just such a pain to deal with hundreds of prisoners, especially since most of them are worthless. If I click the ransom button, just send a ransom request instantly rather than bring up the diplomacy menu.

Also can you guys please stop screwing up my message settings with every patch? I have to click roughly 800 billion times to get them the way I want. If you could make a "Set all" button so they could be all set to a particular priority with a single click that would be outstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Drone posted:

So I just booted up the game as the Byzantine Emperor and saw that myself and half my court are Iconoclasts. Not a big deal, but within like 3 years all of my provinces had converted to the Iconoclast heresy of their own accord. That seems somewhat fast.

I was really excited that Paradox was going to model the whole Iconoclast controversy but instead it's reversed by decision and there aren't really any major consequences either way... :(

• Locked thread