Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Its pretty watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Could they find an actor with less charisma? Nope.
True to life. See: Hilldog and Kerry.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Mu Zeta posted:

Tea Leoni is Secretary of State but with an edge. I think it's on ABC. It sucks.

Could they find an actor with less charisma? Nope.

I dont know, but I enjoy her performance, but taste's differ and if you dont like her performance you won't like the show.

The combo of The Good Wife and Madame Secretary is pretty good and you should watch them both if you liked The West Wing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Madam Secretary thread is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670184

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
This has probably come up before, but I decided to put on some old episodes while I edited today and guess who shows up during "The Crackpots and These Women" (the first block of cheese day episode):

Kind of fitting that he was advocating a wolves-only highway

E: True :respek: \/\/

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 7, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
But also ironic that he was advocating for the government to pay for it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What am I missing here?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Lord Bude posted:

What am I missing here?

That's Nick Offerman, best known now for his role as Ron Swanson, a Libertarian who manages a government office, on Parks & Rec.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Joementum posted:

That's Nick Offerman, best known now for his role as Ron Swanson, a Libertarian who manages a government office, on Parks & Rec.

Ah. I've never seen Parks & Rec.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Maybe you should. It's the second best political television show besides The West Wing in my opinion. Certainly closest when it comes to optimism and government.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Superrodan posted:

Maybe you should. It's the second best political television show besides The West Wing in my opinion. Certainly closest when it comes to optimism and government.

I'll wait till off season when I'm not inundated in a million quality shows, then buy the whole thing on DVD and binge it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's all on Netflix too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sam Seaborn and Josh Lyman are also in it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Asiina posted:

It's all on Netflix too.

I live in a backwards country without such luxuries as 'netflix'

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Just started watching this and I'm about 3/4 of the way through the first season. I love this show so much already. It probably helps that I just finished Dexter but still, I think it's pretty great. I love all of the characters so far. I'm not hating the relationship "drama" that's going on, which I usually do. I'm actually enjoying it.

The only thing that bugs me, and it's not even really a storytelling or show issue, is Joey Lucas' interpreter. I get from a show standpoint why he's there. Marlee Matlin can read lips and speak well enough, but they have the guy there so people can clearly understand what she's saying. Why's it gotta be a guy? Now whenever there's a scene with her, I imagine her having a guy's voice. It's a dumb thing and not even worth thinking about long but it's really the only thing that stands out to me.

Also Charlie is pretty great. I was a big fan of Psych so seeing Dule Hill was a little of a surprise. (I'd never seen WW or heard anything about it. A friend told me I should watch it after watching Dexter and being so disappointed by it)

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MindlessHavok posted:

The only thing that bugs me, and it's not even really a storytelling or show issue, is Joey Lucas' interpreter. I get from a show standpoint why he's there. Marlee Matlin can read lips and speak well enough, but they have the guy there so people can clearly understand what she's saying. Why's it gotta be a guy? Now whenever there's a scene with her, I imagine her having a guy's voice. It's a dumb thing and not even worth thinking about long but it's really the only thing that stands out to me.

Her IRL interpreter is male.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

MindlessHavok posted:

The only thing that bugs me, and it's not even really a storytelling or show issue, is Joey Lucas' interpreter. I get from a show standpoint why he's there. Marlee Matlin can read lips and speak well enough, but they have the guy there so people can clearly understand what she's saying.

The interpreter is there because a deaf person with a job like that would have an interpreter, mostly for their own benefit. Lip reading isn't an exact science by any means, even experienced lipreaders only pick up about 30-40% of what's said.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I always really liked Kenny.

He has a soft voice so it never really bothered me. I always attributed it to her.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aside from her IRL interpreter being male, I already knew and understood the other stuff. My only gripe was with my association of her having a male voice. I know it's dumb and not even worth worrying about, but it was a conversation that the friend that recommended this to me and I were having, that's why I added it here.

It doesn't take away from the show at all.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Flirting through a male interpreter is funny.

"Joshua Lyman, you have the cutest little butt in professional politics".

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Or the inner circle meetings in the basement

Bartlet posted:

Before we begin [the secret meeting], does anyone here know Kenny's last name?

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 15, 2014

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Victor Vermis posted:

Flirting through a male interpreter is funny.

"Joshua Lyman, you have the cutest little butt in professional politics".

Kenny, I swear to God that had better be Joey talking.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slashrat posted:

Or the inner circle meetings in the basement

quote:

Before we begin [the secret meeting], does anyone here know Kenny's last name?

Thurmon :colbert:

He was introduced to Bartlet, so I don't buy he didn't remember.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
He probably did remember, and was just testing the other staff members whether they'd actually thought about his presence at the secret meeting, or had just allowed him inside because they'd gotten used to him always being with Joey (which turned out to be the case).

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Except there's a running joke through the whole series about him not remembering people's names (which is true of Martin Sheen also).

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Asiina posted:

Except there's a running joke through the whole series about him not remembering people's names (which is true of Martin Sheen also).

Is there? Apart from In the Shadow of Two Gunmen, does Bartlet ever display a problem remembering names? I genuinely don't remember.

I guess this means it's time for another rewatch.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JohnSherman posted:

Is there? Apart from In the Shadow of Two Gunmen, does Bartlet ever display a problem remembering names? I genuinely don't remember.

I guess this means it's time for another rewatch.

Yeah, in the campaign he had that problem. I don't know if it's a running joke, though.

Guess I'll rewatch it too!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
He remembered the name of every staffer and assistant, including Ed and Larry, in the west wing just fine on his last day in office, even though in E&L's case he'd gotten them mixed up before.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Slashrat posted:

He remembered the name of every staffer and assistant, including Ed and Larry, in the west wing just fine on his last day in office, even though in E&L's case he'd gotten them mixed up before.

President Josiah Bartlet: Listen, have I gotten any of the names right so far?
Charlie Young: No sir, but you came drat close on a couple of them.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Slashrat posted:

I don't know if this was your point, but that was supposed to be a very sentimental, symbolic scene exactly because of the running joke about Bartlett always forgetting names.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Hoops posted:

I don't know if this was your point, but that was supposed to be a very sentimental, symbolic scene exactly because of the running joke about Bartlett always forgetting names.

I know. That doesn't preclude it from also indicating that Bartlet is a lot better at remembering names than he has been letting on. Doesn't mean he always remembers names, but neither that he is as bad at it as the running joke tries to make him look.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't remember Bartlett being bad at names as a running joke. It would be a weird problem for a politician to have.

Ed and Larry are a special case where no one being able to remember which is which is a running joke.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 15, 2014

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
He either forgets names or says that he can't remember names all the time.

There's the scene in season 1 where he gets all the names of staffers wrong. When he's interviewing secretaries he says that he can't remember names and dates very well.

In the open mic episode he can't remember the reporter's name. When he's trying to get a bible for inauguration, he gets the historical society guy's name wrong. When Will first joins he says "I can't remember your name, but are you asking me out on a date."

He gets Ed and Larry mixed up (but that's everyone).

Those are just off the top of my head.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There's a fine line between "running joke" and Sorkin plagiarizing himself.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

There's a fine line between "running joke" and Sorkin plagiarizing himself.

I don't think that repeated examples of a character trait can be counted as plagiarizing himself.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
When he's interviewing secretaries he's screening for someone that can help him work around his MS.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
BARTLET There's a tremendous amount of information you need to keep track of: dates, names, number, things I'm not good with.
MRS. HARRISON That's unusual, isn't it?
BARTLET What's that?
MRS. HARRISON A man of your intellect not being good with names and numbers. Especially an economist of your stature.
BARTLET It's not intellect, it's memory. It's a different gift. A wonderful one. I've never had it.
MRS. HARRISON There are excersises you can do.
BARTLET Well... okay, I'll try and find that time

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ed and Larry are pretty much the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern of West Wing and it makes me sad that we never got an episode about them with poo poo going down around them.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"He said: 'What's next?'"

drat this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

MindlessHavok posted:

Why's it gotta be a guy?

It doesn't and that's the point.

• Locked thread