Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Reading your guys' posts, I guess that personally it still comes down to why we play this dumb game. I just enjoy it because I happen to have friends who also play and it is more of a distraction. It reminds me of and actually weirds me out when I hear total strangers, who only barely know each other in the game shop, decide to carpool and spend a couple days with each other to play this game. Those car rides must be weird and boring. I go to Philly and NJ and other places cuz it's chat time with friends. I sometimes call up a friend and chat @ him while playing over cockatrice too. Jams games a lot faster when there's an event to prepare for.

I mean good on you guys to enjoy just the game enough to put up with that buggy piece of poo poo or other things like sweat beasts. But we decided it was bad and not worth playing on it so eh. I am also glad I live in areas with multiple stores so I can steer clear of the no-fun zones too.

Anyway, at least it's a decent game. Even more maddening are the guys who put up with the ham beasts and grogs just to play 40k. That's even worse.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
I agree with you that I wouldn't road trip with strangers to play in a tournament, but the actual game is more fun than the social factor. It's fun to play with friends, but I like MTGO because it's a convenient way to play without having to corral 8+ people or go to a game store.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

[quote="Pyronic" post="436299725"]
I pulled a sorin on MTGO last night, and Im trying to decide whether I should flip it right now or wait to see if it'll go up in price.

I'm not really much of a finance guy, any of you guys have advice?
[/quote

It's currently 2-4 of in the top standard deck. It's maxed out.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Chill la Chill posted:

I mean good on you guys to enjoy just the game enough to put up with that buggy piece of poo poo or other things like sweat beasts. But we decided it was bad and not worth playing on it so eh. I am also glad I live in areas with multiple stores so I can steer clear of the no-fun zones too.

I was seriously considering switching over to online until the best shop in the area opened up less than a mile from me.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Pyronic posted:

I pulled a sorin on MTGO last night, and Im trying to decide whether I should flip it right now or wait to see if it'll go up in price.

It's currently 2-4 of in the top standard deck. It's maxed out.

People are never going to stop drafting and that deck probably isn't ever going to get any better/more popular.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Death Bot posted:

People are never going to stop drafting and that deck probably isn't ever going to get any better/more popular.

That's what I was thinking, i'll flip it after MTGO maint is over.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Pyronic posted:

See Elspeth, Sun's Champion trend after last year's Fall PT for example
http://www.mtgprice.com/sets/Theros/Elspeth,_Sun%27s_Champion

Sell now or next year.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AnacondaHL posted:

Sell now or next year.

Mythics was such a great idea.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I keep thinking every now and then that it would be fun to pop over to the card store (there is really only one where I live these days - there have been more historically but they all went under one way or another) and play a game of paper Magic with some real human beings for a change. So I do, and then I remember why I stopped doing that, and also remember that I have plenty of human contact anyway with individuals who shower regularly and are not children. The friction of having to deal with the slow-rear end buggy MTGO client is somewhat lesser, for me personally, than the friction of having to travel to the store and get stuck in bad air with questionable company for several hours.

If someone were to launch a virtual card game that is as strategically deep as Magic (i.e. not Hearthstone) with an appealing theme and also don't get sued into the ground by Hasbro, I'd be all over that poo poo.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I keep thinking every now and then that it would be fun to pop over to the card store (there is really only one where I live these days - there have been more historically but they all went under one way or another) and play a game of paper Magic with some real human beings for a change. So I do, and then I remember why I stopped doing that, and also remember that I have plenty of human contact anyway with individuals who shower regularly and are not children. The friction of having to deal with the slow-rear end buggy MTGO client is somewhat lesser, for me personally, than the friction of having to travel to the store and get stuck in bad air with questionable company for several hours.

If someone were to launch a virtual card game that is as strategically deep as Magic (i.e. not Hearthstone) with an appealing theme and also don't get sued into the ground by Hasbro, I'd be all over that poo poo.

I RARELY encounter the Ablutophobes while playing, I mean they come around occasionally but they aren't to terribly common. Generally speaking, I enjoy the game itself, but for me, a lot of the fun also comes from talking about the game before and after, analyzing what happened, why I won or lost, what plays were good and what plays sucked. Its hard to do that over MTGO's chat function. It requires other people there to discuss the game. A lot of players are to tilty after they lose to talk with, and thats fine. But a I'd say most of my fun comes from analyzing the opponent's plays and my own and discussing them.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

AnacondaHL posted:

Sell now or next year.

This is bizarre to me because Sarkhan is still like $10 more than Sorin despite being a much worse planeswalker and showing up in lower numbers in a not-as-good deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is bizarre to me because Sarkhan is still like $10 more than Sorin despite being a much worse planeswalker and showing up in lower numbers in a not-as-good deck.

Sarkhan is not "much worse" than Sorin. That's a silly statement. Sorin happens to be good in this current meta (better than I thought) but Sarkhan is still very strong.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

People like dragons.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Umm, not-as-good deck? What defines this for you?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mcmagic posted:

Sarkhan is not "much worse" than Sorin. That's a silly statement.

Less good, rather. Less good and, even in the deck where he shows up, less used.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Less good, rather. Less good and, even in the deck where he shows up, less used.

Not really. Ari Lax's deck had 2 Sorin's and most Jeskai lists are playing 2-3 Sarkhan's. Temur and GR are playing a few too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yo could use both in Midwest newspaper which is clearly the superior deck.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

Umm, not-as-good deck? What defines this for you?

Go read his post history and see what he thought about Sorin before he won a pro tour. It will explain his "I was wrong but don't care to admit I was wrong" statement. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607421&pagenumber=873&perpage=40#post435363423

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 15, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Go read his post history and see what he thought about Sorin before he won a pro tour. It will explain his "I was wrong but don't care to admit I was wrong" statement. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607421&pagenumber=873&perpage=40#post435363423

LOL He wasn't even responding to a post I made but you were so eager to point out that someone was wrong about a magic card on the internet that you couldn't resist, could you?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

mcmagic posted:

LOL He wasn't even responding to a post I made but you were so eager to point out that someone was wrong about a magic card on the internet that you couldn't resist, could you?

But you're wrong a LOT.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

En Fuego posted:

But you're wrong a LOT.

I have opinions. Sorry. I'm right a lot too. You don't have to agree with me or take my advice on anything.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I have opinions. Sorry. I'm right a lot too. You don't have to agree with me or take my advice on anything.

mcmagic posted:

Lotus Petal into Pyretic Ritual?

Man so that's why my legacy deck failed.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mcmagic posted:

Tell me your opinions on sitting on a stack of Necropolis Fiends waiting for the Pro Tour to let them shine?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

Man so that's why my legacy deck failed.
Apparently you're an expert in my posting so you should know that I don't really play Legacy and don't claim to know all that much about the format but don't let that get in the way of being an rear end in a top hat for whatever reason.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

But that's fine? There are plenty of $1 cards (where the money is made) that go up and only when people have perfect hindsight do they realize why. My friends didn't believe me when night veil specter would be a hit when devotion was announced and it could have easily been a flop cuz another blue card could've been the all-star instead.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Sarkhan is just as necessary in Jeskai Wins decks which are about as popular as Abzan right now. Additionally, Sarkhan is absolutely not a much worse Planeswalker than Sorin.

Ari Lax himself, who won the Pro Tour, did a giant write up on his experience and his winning deck, where he said Sorin wasn't anything special but just happened to slot nicely into the curve of the deck and offer things he wanted to do synergistically.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

No but we can make fun of you on the internet.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
For some reason I keep getting into arguments with stupid nerds over on ChannelFireball who think that Remand is a great answer to Treasure Cruise in UR delver. You know, UR spear/delver, the deck that actively punishes you for playing Remands and runs 4 gitaxian probes and has no reason to ever stumble into a Remand when casting cruise. A deck that plays anywhere between TWO and FOUR cards that cost more than 1 mana.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 15, 2014

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Treasure Cruise is OP. They should ban Gitaxian Probe to deal with it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Nobody cares what mcmagic's being-right percentage is, guys.

Sarkhan costs more than Sorin because Sarkhan is a mono-colored win-condition.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Nobody cares what mcmagic's being-right percentage is, guys.

Sarkhan costs more than Sorin because Sarkhan is a mono-colored win-condition.

Though I don't always agree with you, this is certainly the case. Sarkhan is mono-colored and is of similar power level to Sorin. Which one is "better" is not something I can adequately evaluate, however both see play and only one of them can be played in more decks. Moreover, Sarkhan is a Dragon, which is a perennial casual favorite, if Sarkhan didn't cost more I would be aghast.

Besides, we have all been very wrong about cards. I KNOW I was wrong about Nightveil's power level (in standard), and was proven such. I didn't think highly of Thassa, I'm not sure if I voiced that, but I was proven wrong there as well. Who cares if you are wrong, admit it, and move on. Being wrong about artwork rectangles you turn sideways is so vastly unimportant who cares if you are wrong on that front.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 15, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Playing sealed on MTGO is dumb, but thanks to Orlando I've gotten REALLY good at this format, so I've been turning a hefty profit doing these things.....

Then I crack this in a pool...... Foil Ashcloud Phoenix, Foil Rattleclaw Mystic, Dig Through Time, Foil Dig Through Time. Yay freerolls!

EDIT: And it turns out my Temur cards are bonkers, so I get to play all of the above.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 15, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Playing sealed on MTGO is dumb, but thanks to Orlando I've gotten REALLY good at this format, so I've been turning a hefty profit doing these things.....

Then I crack this in a pool...... Foil Ashcloud Phoenix, Foil Rattleclaw Mystic, Dig Through Time, Foil Dig Through Time. Yay freerolls!

EDIT: And it turns out my Temur cards are bonkers, so I get to play all of the above.

I sometimes drop money on sealed and it never ends up like this. Allow me to hate you for it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I sometimes drop money on sealed and it never ends up like this. Allow me to hate you for it.

I've had one value sealed pool, Innistraad prerelease, three of my rares were Geist of St. Traft, Snapcaster Mage and Moorland Haunt, needless to say I went uw and won out that event. Every other time I do sealed I'm lucky to get a dualland of some variety :shrug:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Once upon a time four pack sealed was the best EV format in the history of MTGO. It was goofy and fun and you had 30 card decks.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Once upon a time four pack sealed was the best EV format in the history of MTGO. It was goofy and fun and you had 30 card decks.

4-pack sealed is the best thing ever. I would love to do it in paper magic.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

With the new FNM rules, NOW YOU CAN! :dance:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Madmarker posted:

I've had one value sealed pool, Innistraad prerelease, three of my rares were Geist of St. Traft, Snapcaster Mage and Moorland Haunt, needless to say I went uw and won out that event. Every other time I do sealed I'm lucky to get a dualland of some variety :shrug:
With the exception of the M12 prerelease, my sealed pools always end up spread out amongst all 5 colors evenly with my best rare being something worth almost but not quite $1.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
The MTGO design flaws continue!

If you play a foil Morph creature face down, the resulting morph on the battlefield is foiled. So if your opponent sees you have a foil morph game 1, they can now tell exactly which creature that is if you play it again in subsequent games.

Great design, guys.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The MTGO design flaws continue!

If you play a foil Morph creature face down, the resulting morph on the battlefield is foiled. So if your opponent sees you have a foil morph game 1, they can now tell exactly which creature that is if you play it again in subsequent games.

Great design, guys.

They explicitly stated your opponent won't see foil morphs. Or was this wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

I can't be arsed to look it up, but a year or two ago, in the midst of one of the most severe MODO tournament implosions, there was a post here from someone in the Seattle area describing a WotC Rep showing up at an FNM trying desperately to recruit some C++ (C#?) programmers or some such and getting laughed out of the store when people saw the compensation.
Oh yeah, this was monday legacy at card kingdom (apparently they were around at fnm too). As if 'plays magic' has any relationship to 'develops good software'.

Here are some things people should bear in mind when spouting off about what they should do about modo:

- "They should just make a new team and have them do a new client." They did this recently, twice. Once was a silverlight based browser version that did in fact get canned. The next was V4. They failed at that too until they could no longer afford to code everything twice and also brought in an external company to help with crashes and 'having more than 1000 cards in the collection view'. Seeing as the non dueling non matchmaking views are barely functional they are at the minimum bar above failing here.

- I do know someone who was hired onto their dev team recently. He was a tenant of mine and started as a contractor, which if you know the seattle dev area is like a second class coding citizen (ms blue badge etc etc). They liked him so much they hired him full time before he finished his 6 months though. iirc he was a .net guy. But, he had just moved to town and I expect they were paying him ~75k /year which is honestly about 1/3 - 1/4 what a grade A engineer makes in this town.

- The reason they never advertised about MODO or put in the effort to grow the player base was because of their backend. Aaron Forsythe mentioned this specifically when he was on the brainstorm brewery podcast. It could never support a 10x scale jump in user base and as such was always considered a niche product and thus not a first class citizen. Presumably with v4 this can now change.

- Client performance is pretty poor too. I don't understand how it can be such a resource hog when all it's doing is moving a few 2d images back and forth. Shameful.

Anyways my biggest beef with MODO is how it is still mired in the 'replace paper but online' mindset. That was important back in 2003 or whenever when it launched. I mean, paying real money for online cards? Shocking at the time. It has some benefits still like redemption but on the whole has been holding them back for a long time:

- poo poo trading. Trading online should be so easy. It's just numbers in a database. All copies of a particular card are identical. Having to talk to a bot that ocrs a view of a binder is ridiculous. Having to scan classifieds like some lovely craigslist ghetto is even more ridiculous. There is no reason to re create the (terrible) in-person way trades happen. Make a marketplace with bids and asks already. Take a cut and you could make it revenue positive even!

- Recreating paper tournaments. I enjoy spending an evening drafting at the store with friends. I might even take a whole saturday for a ptq occasionally. I do not want to be tied to my computer for 4+ hours to do one magic event. Take the hearthstone draft model (for sealed events) at the very least where I can drop in and play a round whenever.

- Stop trying to do everything yourself. Put your backend on appengine or aws or something and leave the service management to professionals. Keep your staff focused on improving the rules engine, divorced from any particular frontend view of the system, so that you could have a web client or something other than windows (lol).

- Allow me to play but don't force me to have identical collections online and offline. Maybe this means phantom constructed events or borowing a deck service or something who knows.

• Locked thread