Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Did you guys COMPLETELY miss that this will now allow dwarves to get drunk, hop on top of tables, and fight until one of them falls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Urist cancels bar fight: needs throwable object.

jizzy sillage fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 14, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Urist cancels bar fight: bar fight.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Urist Is in a pretty good mood lately. He watched a good bar fight recently. He took a masterwork pine chair to the face recently. He admired a fine chair lately.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
First Question: Speaking of bar fights, what the heck is this "Misc. Object User" skill that my military dwarves sometimes accumulate? Is that when they decide to grab a llama wool left sock and hit someone with it?

Second question: I gave my dwarves the "eat sentient" ability in the raws, and started a fort. They butchered and ate a human that I killed, but when a Minotaur came by, they still ignored its body completely. How can I get them to butcher and eat a minotaur? Does it count as a titan or something, and that changes the category? If I kill a minotaur, by god, I want a Minotaur Skull Totem to show for it!

Third Question: If I change [CHILD:12] to [CHILD:4] in the dwarve's raws, that will make children turn into useful adults at age 4, right?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

1.) If they're military dwarves, it's usually from that shield they've got in their other hand, but yeah that's the gist of it.

2.) I dunno. Did they both die in similar circumstances? Is the corpse close enough to the butcher's shop? About the only per-creature difference I can see is that humans have [INTELLIGENT] while minotaurs get [CAN_LEARN][CAN_SPEAK]. Perhaps the entity thing is bugged that it only recognizes the first one?

3.) YES !!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reading posted:

Third Question: If I change [CHILD:12] to [CHILD:4] in the dwarve's raws, that will make children turn into useful adults at age 4, right?

yes. it's really useful to do something like that. I think Masterwork bumps down the age where they become adults to 7.

I've seen tons of posts on Reddit and the Bay12 forums consisting of 'if you do that you are promoting PEDOPHILIA in your forts!' and it's really funny to me because they think making the dwarf kids grow up at a younger age means they are still kids that are working and loving like adults (instead of you know just growing up faster) and they get really mad about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, 1. 14 is still a bit young...

2. If I recall the raws, wouldn't changing the child age literally cause them to grow to adulthood in that many years?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Has anyone else run into a problem when declaring multiple enemies to be killed? I got invaded by some elves from a goblin civ and when I designated my 5 squads of all Legendary fighters they ran outside and then just milled around while the elves attacked them. I finally got one squad to fight back after sending them all away and trying to attack with just one squad.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I thought dwarves reproduced via spores or something anyway?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

2. If I recall the raws, wouldn't changing the child age literally cause them to grow to adulthood in that many years?

I believe so.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'm pretty sure the KILL command interacts a little oddly with Dwarves' mono-maniacal need to fight the first thing they engage to the death before picking another target; I suspect from my own experiences that using the move/station command is a lot more reliable for group fights than the kill command.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'm pretty sure the KILL command interacts a little oddly with Dwarves' mono-maniacal need to fight the first thing they engage to the death before picking another target; I suspect from my own experiences that using the move/station command is a lot more reliable for group fights than the kill command.

I use the move command near what I want dead to get everyone massed up (far away enough that they won't aggro obviously) then a second move command into the enemy once the squad is all together.

I use kill sometimes when I need something chased down though (titan running around) and it works okay for that.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Is there any way to stop dwarves from taking away barrels/bins from a stockpile in order to bring new items there? I keep getting spammed with planting cancellations because they're taking away the entire barrel of seeds instead of just bringing their seed back and dumping it in.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Strudel Man posted:

Is there any way to stop dwarves from taking away barrels/bins from a stockpile in order to bring new items there? I keep getting spammed with planting cancellations because they're taking away the entire barrel of seeds instead of just bringing their seed back and dumping it in.

Forbid barrels from your seed stockpile. Bags can hold quite a lot of seeds as it is, so you don't even need the barrels to put the bags in. You'll still get some cancel spam, but not quite as much.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Neurion posted:

Forbid barrels from your seed stockpile. Bags can hold quite a lot of seeds as it is, so you don't even need the barrels to put the bags in. You'll still get some cancel spam, but not quite as much.
Hm. Not quite what I was hoping for, but okay.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

It's a one step forward and just over one step back, the barrel/bin hoovering thing. It's utterly neato when it works, but when the volumes are small, you really have to think twice about stockpile arrangements and whether to use bins at all.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Quantum stockpiles and never look back. Embrace them.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Excelzior posted:

I use the gently caress out of quantum stockpiles, and will be completely screwed if they ever get "fixed". The only non-quantum stockpiles I make are for the initial "move poo poo out of the cart"*, but wood and stone and poo poo just hang out until I get quantums setup (which is usually pretty quick).

* Also food/drink stuffs.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
On the subject of barrels and bins, I've got an issue with dwarves in my military not picking out armor pieces and weapons out of the bins in the armor/weapon stockpiles that are inside their own barracks. Is this just a bug, or is it part of the experience to find the one option I haven't enabled/disabled?

If it helps, I'm using the latest version of the game that uses the Phoebus tileset, and my experience with DF is this is my first fort that's gotten into several years in length without it either failing or me abandoning the fort for reasons. The wiki's been a huge help, but I'm stumped in this regard.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Bay12/Modding posted:

Hello fellow Urists.
I'm trying to get into a bunch of different stuff when it comes to Modding and Graphics before I have to get into College so that I have things to present when required instead of waiting to do all that junk in college.
Sadly, however, I'm on a poo poo PC for a little while, but it should hopefully run some programs that are required.
But the question is, WHAT are these programs?
Dwarf Fortress has probably been my absolute favorite recently so I want to start with it. The only problem is that I don't know what I need. I know there's a bunch of different programs like Lua, Maya, Photoshop, ect. ect. but I'm not sure what I would actually need for Dwarf Fortress Modding / Graphics.
If anybody could lend me a hand or give me some useful tips and advice on how to get started I would greatly appreciate it.

what spawns these people

tlarn posted:

On the subject of barrels and bins, I've got an issue with dwarves in my military not picking out armor pieces and weapons out of the bins in the armor/weapon stockpiles that are inside their own barracks. Is this just a bug, or is it part of the experience to find the one option I haven't enabled/disabled?

There's no real way to dedicate a stockpile to "armory" behavior. That's handled by the (currently broken) racks and stands. If you let them decide, soldiers will beeline straight for the best choices instead of the nearest ones, adjusted by the current position of the stars and the moon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

scamtank posted:

what spawns these people

Who on earth hopes to do video games in college without knowing how to edit a markup language or use any image editor?

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Just had 3 dwarfs die in unknown circumstances. One alone in his room, one on the staircase, one pushing a minecart around. No indication of how they died, no notification to say they have died by vampire or old age. Any ideas?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Engrave a slab to their memory, it'll say what their immediate cause of death was at least.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

GenericOverusedName posted:

Engrave a slab to their memory, it'll say what their immediate cause of death was at least.

This is a great tip.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
They're all dying of infected wounds. :(

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Soap is necessary in the current version for a completely effective, efficient fort. Lots and lots and lots and lots and LOTS of soap. I pretty much just accept that a few deaths are inevitable, because soap-making seems to be such a MASSIVE pain in the rear end; about half the time the dwarves don't seem to recognize the ingredients are on hand, for some reason, so I can't even queue the job up. My dwarves also happily stole the soap from the hospital in order to take baths, so no one got their wounds cleaned, although at least being clean lowers their chance for infection in the first place. C'est la DF.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Huh. Never seen this before.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Strudel Man posted:

That sounds more like a dwarven justice proceedings than a doctor's report.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

What surgery do they prescribe to cure it?

Gonadoplasty?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

What surgery do they prescribe to cure it?

Gonadoplasty?
Nothing cowardice-specific, sadly. He was fairly badly injured in an encounter with an orcish thief. I guess the coward bit could be a masterwork addition as well, but it's difficult to tell.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
cowardice is just something toady put in as an analogue for ptsd

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Strudel Man posted:

Nothing cowardice-specific, sadly. He was fairly badly injured in an encounter with an orcish thief. I guess the coward bit could be a masterwork addition as well, but it's difficult to tell.

This came up earlier in the thread and yeah I'm pretty sure it's a masterwork thing since so many of its mechanics rely on using the syndrome system.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
I'm somewhat new to Dwarf Fortress and I'm having a ton of fun. I'm also having two major problems:

a) animals keep starving in my fortress and dying and nobody is hauling their corpses away. I have a refuse, corpse, and animal stockpile as well as a butcher with "butcher things" on repeat. What am I missing?

b) first year dwarven traders are here and when I go to trade with them no goods show up on my side of the menu, only things on his side. I made a bunch of stone goods + have some cut gems and it appears they were all hauled to the depot.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Another noob question:

I've punched down to the water level of the caversn after cancelling all other mining. However, my dwarves still don't have a valid water source. Is it because there's no ramp to the water, or is it because mud does not count as a water source even though it's Water [7/7]?

Pictures attached in case there's something I've missed.

Z-level 42:

Z-level 43:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Parasara posted:

I'm somewhat new to Dwarf Fortress and I'm having a ton of fun. I'm also having two major problems:

a) animals keep starving in my fortress and dying and nobody is hauling their corpses away. I have a refuse, corpse, and animal stockpile as well as a butcher with "butcher things" on repeat. What am I missing?

b) first year dwarven traders are here and when I go to trade with them no goods show up on my side of the menu, only things on his side. I made a bunch of stone goods + have some cut gems and it appears they were all hauled to the depot.

a) check if the corpses are forbidden and unforbid them

b) select the depot and instead of trading hit g to look at your list of goods and select them for trade, then wait until they're delivered to the depot and you'll be able to see them in your half of the trade screen

vibratingsheep posted:

Another noob question:

I've punched down to the water level of the caversn after cancelling all other mining. However, my dwarves still don't have a valid water source. Is it because there's no ramp to the water, or is it because mud does not count as a water source even though it's Water [7/7]?

Try making a flat space they can stand directly next to the water, unless I'm mistaken that slope is underwater so they're not gonna go for a swim so they can fill up a bucket. Also you can use zones to designate a water source you want dwarves to use. Or you could just build a well there.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 16, 2014

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.

ghetto wormhole posted:

a) check if the corpses are forbidden and unforbid them

b) select the depot and instead of trading hit g to look at your list of goods and select them for trade, then wait until they're delivered to the depot and you'll be able to see them in your half of the trade screen

a)That's not the problem. All of them are unforbidden, nothing is happening.

b)that worked, but all my stone goods have disappeared? they used to be in a stockpile and they still show up if I search for them through the z menu but I can't select them from the trade window

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Set up a pasture zone for them to graze with and they wont die in the first place

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Excelzior posted:

For real the only barrels/bins/storage in my fort is at the hospital and at the drink stockpile (empties go there too).

Helps with the FPS too because you're not digging out vast areas just to stockpile stuff. My finished goods stockpiles would get gargantuan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Huh. Is there some special requirement for plants to be, well, plantable? I finally embarked in a location that has some of the cold-weather fruits probably added by masterwork, boreal berries and such. But they don't appear on the list of crops I can raise.

Also, are there any other such requirements for a biome to grow evil plants in the first place? That's actually what I was aiming for, to find and grow some black roses, but despite it being a 'sinister' tiaga, there were no glumprongs or any other evil plants.

edit: Nor are any appearing when I embark over in a haunted broadleaf forest, instead. Hrm.

edit2: Hey, found the evil plants AND them listed as plantable when I made a new world and embarked in a sinister swamp. Don't really get the reason for the difference, but at least it works.

Excelzior posted:

Don't they require you to designate stuff for dumping on a semi-constant basis?

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 16, 2014