Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So one of the principals here gets a newsletter out of the blue, and it's some racist clown's ramblings on how the education system is indoctrinating children on white privilege / white guilt / destroying our heritage, etc. The principal responds back "Remove me from this list please."

He gets a reply:

quote:

You are a public official within our public schools whose salary is subsidized by the taxpayer. And as a taxpayer, I believe I have every right to contact you with regards to issues transpiring in our school system.
Unless you work in a private school (which you don't), do not send me such a request again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Add the guys email to all the spam lists. Problem solved.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, I just blacklisted him no problem. Haven't ever seen something like that before.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, I just blacklisted him no problem. Haven't ever seen something like that before.

Did you also sign him up for every spam list you could find, and feed his address to the various SBLs as a source of unsolicited mail?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Write an exchange transport rule that automatically replies with an out of office notification saying that he is on vacation and will be returning in [today + two weeks], and have it reply with that to him no matter how often he emails. (and also just auto-spam-filter it)

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Write an exchange transport rule that automatically replies with an out of office notification saying that he is on vacation and will be returning in [today + two weeks], and have it reply with that to him no matter how often he emails. (and also just auto-spam-filter it)

Just have it reply back with a picture of the Illuminati.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

m.hache posted:

Just have it reply back with a picture of the Illuminati.

"Thank you for bringing you to our attention. We'll be seeing you."

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

deimos posted:

Holy crap this combo is crazy: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms14-oct

MS14-058 is probably worse than 060.

As someone who looks after a bunch of webapps, 057 is a loving heart attack

quote:

The most severe of the vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution if an attacker sends a specially crafted URI request containing international characters to a .NET web application. In .NET 4.0 applications, the vulnerable functionality (iriParsing) is disabled by default; for the vulnerability to be exploitable an application has to explicitly enable this functionality. In .NET 4.5 applications, iriParsing is enabled by default and cannot be disabled.

Send a particular GET request to a webserver, and get remote code execution, on a feature that can not be disabled. loving Wonderful.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

NZAmoeba posted:

As someone who looks after a bunch of webapps, 057 is a loving heart attack

Send a particular GET request to a webserver, and get remote code execution, on a feature that can not be disabled. loving Wonderful.

I also have a bunch of webapps but thankfully everything is behind some sort of load balancer/proxy (usually haproxy) and we don't use IRIs (NKD and flatten, gently caress the haters).

edit: to add, we just filter everything at a proxy level which made it a single config change and salt highstating.

deimos fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 14, 2014

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

deimos posted:

I also have a bunch of webapps but thankfully everything is behind some sort of load balancer/proxy (usually haproxy) and we don't use IRIs (NKD and flatten, gently caress the haters).

It doesn't matter if you do use IRI, as long as you have .net 4.5 installed. Also in absence of knowing exactly what the uri string is that can cause the RCE (which could otherwise be blocked by your load balancer), you're better off patching.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

NZAmoeba posted:

It doesn't matter if you do use IRI, as long as you have .net 4.5 installed. Also in absence of knowing exactly what the uri string is that can cause the RCE (which could otherwise be blocked by your load balancer), you're better off patching.

Yeah we are patched now, but as soon as we saw the vuln we mitigated by only allowing yee olde ascii (codepoints between 26 and 126 DEC I think was the rule).

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
058 is hilarious, but it's not exactly new. There's been a ton of similar attacks over the years, especially since web fonts started to become a thing. Why, Microsoft, did you think that it was a good idea to put loving font handling in a kernel mode driver?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
I honestly didn't believe this would ever happen:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rohaq posted:

They were polite and apologised. Give that person a new keyboard and a mug with a rubber base!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've replaced the front desk keyboard here like 6 times in the past 5 years. Of course it's a $40 ergonomic keyboard and not one we get free with new computers.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Rohaq posted:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
So we have a content filter in the form of a rack mounted Untangle appliance. It works decently well though I can't view the logs or anything.

So this morning this entire network slows to a crawl. I don't have access to the switch infrastructure so I did some DNS server swapping to no avail. Finally I manually bypassed the content filter (since our network engineer so thoughtfully created a bypass during the install) and magically everything worked again.

I can't wait to hear their explanation as to what happened. :allears:

*edit* here we go

quote:

Content Filters are prone to acting up so that's why we had $network engineer show you how to bypass it when he was down to install it. We'll keep you posted on what we find out & will likely need to put the Content Filter back online for a short while (during off-hours) to troubleshoot it.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 15, 2014

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

TEAYCHES posted:

48gb Outlook pst file.. corrupt... can't even archive that poo poo. Why.... :negative:

This user is nice but she isn't going to like that I'm going to spend unbelievable amounts of time fixing this poo poo.

Run pst repair tool. Not fixed? gently caress it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
An issue got dumped on my lap.

I don't really care about the issue, I just want to know what this vendor uses for hold music. Shazam and sound hound don't know it :(

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

I don't really care about the issue, I just want to know what this vendor uses for hold music. Shazam and sound hound don't know it :(

It's not this is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g4dkBF5anU

I hate this god drat song.

Also, this one too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOxRSN_if9M

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

skooma512 posted:

I wish we had hold music, instead we have a 5 minute loop of someone from marketing trying to sell you on services we offer. Is it unethical if you're trying to sell me on headache services if this on-hold-marketing gives me one?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The best hold music is the kind that has music that abruptly stops, makes a short pause and then has a voice that lets you know that all agents are busy.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The best hold music is the kind that has music that abruptly stops, makes a short pause and then has a voice that lets you know that all agents are busy.

This is so infuriating that I'm convinced it's intentionally designed to make people give up and hang up, thus reducing call volume.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
:phone: Did you know we have a website? You should probably go on the website instead of calling us you dummy!

Yes, I checked it first and it told me I had to call, you jerks.

And then there's this song that played before every single conference call at my old job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyLZablbRpE

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The best kind of hold music is the kind that is so overcompressed and corrupted by voip issues that it lapses in and out of harsh white noise (ticketmaster is always like this)

I actually pulled out my phone to record some hold music the other day because it was the first time i had ever gotten hold music that wasn't incredibly terrible

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/425928/music/Hole%20Music.m4a

It's perfect and unobtrusive and I could tune it out all day

Unfortunately it still had the [abrupt stop] [silence] -Thank you for holding, our agents are currently busy- thing. Yeah I know they're busy thats why I can hear music instead of a person. Seriously who thought up this poo poo

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
"We didn't need a website in 1975 and WE DON'T NEED ONE NOW" *slams down phone*

ok dude I was calling about your scheduled healthcheck but whatever

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

tehloki posted:

The best kind of hold music is the kind that is so overcompressed and corrupted by voip issues that it lapses in and out of harsh white noise (ticketmaster is always like this)
It's not really a VoIP "issue": VoIP traffic purposely uses codecs that compress the frequency ranges used by the human voice really well, and can be compressed and decompressed quickly; it's why you can hear each other pretty damned clearly whilst only requiring a relatively tiny amount of bandwidth compared to that of say, an MP3. Most common VoIP codecs range from 2.15kbps to 64Kbps (depending on the codec, and the quality), compared to say, 128-320Kbps MP3 compression required for decent audio.

The problem is that these codecs are totally geared toward voice communication. Low bandwidth requirements and rapid compression/decompression are required because it's realtime two way voice communication that needs to be able to operate even on a congested network. Isn't suited towards music, so anything beyond this range literally gets cut out, resulting in periods of silence or white noise.

From what I hear, there are companies that license out VoIP codec friendly hold music that plays well without being cut off by the frequency limitations. It's one of the reasons you tend to get the same kind of "muzak" type hold music when you call customer support places.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

tehloki posted:

Unfortunately it still had the [abrupt stop] [silence] -Thank you for holding, our agents are currently busy- thing. Yeah I know they're busy thats why I can hear music instead of a person. Seriously who thought up this poo poo

My favorite is one of the local cell phone providers, where every 5 minutes the hold music stops so you can be told "We're sorry, all agents are busy right now. Your estimated wait time is 5 minutes."

I'd like to believe it's dynamic, but it is "5 minutes" every time I call and every time the message repeats.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Nemo2342 posted:

My favorite is one of the local cell phone providers, where every 5 minutes the hold music stops so you can be told "We're sorry, all agents are busy right now. Your estimated wait time is 5 minutes."

I'd like to believe it's dynamic, but it is "5 minutes" every time I call and every time the message repeats.

There are a couple of vendors I sometimes have to call who either have long silent gaps in the hold music loop, or if they transfer you internally just gives you silence until the next agent picks up or you get transferred elsewhere.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nemo2342 posted:

I had to deal with one of those, but during the call the estimated time actually started saying 5 minutes went up to saying 15 minutes for a bit before dropping back to 5 minutes - and then immediately after the "5 minutes" part played the worker picked up.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

I had to deal with one of those, but during the call the estimated time actually started saying 5 minutes went up to saying 15 minutes for a bit before dropping back to 5 minutes - and then immediately after the "5 minutes" part played the worker picked up.

When dealing with one of those, the wait time started at twenty minutes. After twenty minutes, they were claiming 10. After an hour and a half, I shouted "gently caress YOU" down the phone. A co-worker tried the call as soon as their lines opened; he was still on hold for an hour (and they claimed 5 minutes throughout).

Claimed waiting times are bullshit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rohaq posted:

It's not really a VoIP "issue": VoIP traffic purposely uses codecs that compress the frequency ranges used by the human voice really well, and can be compressed and decompressed quickly; it's why you can hear each other pretty damned clearly whilst only requiring a relatively tiny amount of bandwidth compared to that of say, an MP3. Most common VoIP codecs range from 2.15kbps to 64Kbps (depending on the codec, and the quality), compared to say, 128-320Kbps MP3 compression required for decent audio.

And Shoretell uses hold music sampled at 48khz. It's the only thing I don't like about them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DigitalRaven posted:

When dealing with one of those, the wait time started at twenty minutes. After twenty minutes, they were claiming 10. After an hour and a half, I shouted "gently caress YOU" down the phone. A co-worker tried the call as soon as their lines opened; he was still on hold for an hour (and they claimed 5 minutes throughout).

Claimed waiting times are bullshit.

Most of the time the messages are just things that the call centre switches on when they're either getting overwhelmed with calls or expecting to get overwhelmed. It's pretty rare for places to invest in a system that actually makes an effort to calculate a genuine expected wait time.

My favourite ones are the ones that give you the option of pressing a button to schedule a callback once an agent becomes free, although I've only ever encountered one of those once.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fil5000 posted:

My favourite ones are the ones that give you the option of pressing a button to schedule a callback once an agent becomes free, although I've only ever encountered one of those once.

That's one of the things about my workplace I like. If you need a hand but we're all busy, you can hang up and a manager will go through the missed call list and schedule callbacks for everyone who hung up.

Most people are so happy we called them back that they forget that we couldn't pick them up for a couple hours because we were busy. It's a good quality of life improvement and every place should do it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Some vendor I have to regularly call has hold music interjected by random key presses. First time I called I figured it was the phone system transferring me through to the agent or the agent who had me on hold screwing around with the phone. Then it started looping. Recording something new is :effort: I guess.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
Well this was a new one: an international student decided he wanted some tea and instead of going to the vending machine for some hot water, he plugged in his own water cooker. Currently there's 2 computer labs without working computers or lights.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

mllaneza posted:

And Shoretell uses hold music sampled at 48khz. It's the only thing I don't like about them.

The only thing?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
As bad as the hold music and "your call is very important to us" interjections are, at least it's not as bad as T-Mobile using voice recognition to figure out why you were calling, then HANGING UP ON YOU if it didn't understand what you were asking about.

I nearly threw my phone through the window the first time that happened.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I called Southwest today, and the interjection message was just "test test test test". I was only on hold for a minute longer, so it was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

IndustrialApe posted:

Well this was a new one: an international student decided he wanted some tea and instead of going to the vending machine for some hot water, he plugged in his own water cooker. Currently there's 2 computer labs without working computers or lights.

It's me, I'm the guygirl in this post.

:11tea:

• Locked thread