Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

fool_of_sound posted:

IIRC the ship mercs don't show up till 1066.

That's right, here the wiki:

quote:

-Chance for landless adventurer hosts decreased

-Naval mercenary bands enabled

-This makes ships much more available to Christian rulers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So After Karl failed to form an empire and west/middle Francia still remain divided and maybe will never unite again after his death west Francia ran into a little snag where the Spanish muslims took all of Aquitaine in one big war. Muslims had 20k troops and west francia despite being absolutely massive and only had like 3000. West Francia was really only missing Burgundy region which is basically Middle Francia and had everything east all the way to Poland. I have no idea where all their troops went. I really have no idea how Karl failed to form the empire before dying because he did control all that land and I guess didn't have the money/piety to fire the event? :iiam:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

double nine posted:

Do adventurers spawn without warning or are they like a norse invasion attempt in that you get an 2-year notice before the adventurer actually attacks you. I can't remember. Just getting an advance warning allowing you to prepare would do a little to alleviate the bullshit.

I still don't like that they removed assassination.

You get a 2 year warning, but you cant diplo assassinate them anymore and plots will never work on someone in a foreign court. You can take those two years to prepare, but there are many examples of the adventurer showing up with double (or more) your levies.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
How can you tell what starts are tribal? Are there any Muslim coastal tribes?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

McGavin posted:

Also can you guys please stop screwing up my message settings with every patch? I have to click roughly 800 billion times to get them the way I want. If you could make a "Set all" button so they could be all set to a particular priority with a single click that would be outstanding.
Yes that x100 times. Also adding a "Only rulers of my religion" after "Only rulers of my faith" and fixing the "i forgot your third pause setting for battle/siege won/loss because you selected pause in all three columns" bug.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

Ireland is the worst in the 769 start. You're a tribal christian, which basically means that you're poor as hell and have no CBs at all. Every county has a whopping 15 gold for you to tax, and it's a pain upgrading every tribal holding into a feudal one with no source of income.

I made it into feudalism by borrowing from and expelling the jews. Not sure how you're supposed to get out of the (christian) tribal stage without either this or revoking some bishops. Making 1 gold a year is bullshit and you need like 500 or 600 tops for a stone hillfort.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Can you murder your children now or no?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Does the three-years-or-major-battle apply to the AI as well? At least that would draw out horde invasions - just don't engage.

Edit: You can imprison/execute children if you don't mind the tyranny malus

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Super.Jesus posted:

I made it into feudalism by borrowing from and expelling the jews. Not sure how you're supposed to get out of the (christian) tribal stage without either this or revoking some bishops. Making 1 gold a year is bullshit and you need like 500 or 600 tops for a stone hillfort.

Yeah, I've made far, far more gold by stealing from the Jews than by doing anything else as Pictland.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

It happened to me often enough that the game stopped being fun. Here's what I'm talking about :

Winter attrition is a thing and will absolutely murder them now, if you keep them from getting 100% warscore until winter they will die because they have nowhere safe to go. Even stacks that size are pretty easy to wear down as long as you never give them a chance to catch their breath, you don't have to win every war with a single massive battle.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Probad posted:

Yeah, I've made far, far more gold by stealing from the Jews than by doing anything else as Pictland.

Basically what I did:
-Fabricate claims
-Blitz a duchy with tribal armies
-Raise tribal authority, revoke some bishops. Even at half income, it's over 5-10 times what a hillfort makes.
-Borrow from then expel the jews
-I joined an ally war against some muslims in Asturias and luckily the pope gave me a few hundred gold.
-Build a stone hillfort, go feudal, give your non-feudal counties to your heir until you get a castle town and maybe build a city.

Then, you have to grind the 600 gold for every goddamn county. I united Ireland and got entirely feudal by year 900.

Honestly I'm not sure how you're supposed to go feudal without major gamey actions.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

I am going to be honest with you and say that your QA people suck at their jobs. I am not saying I could do it better (I probably could once I established a method and list of what to do) but the people you have doing it miss A LOT, and they do it OFTEN.

That being said, I think Paradox does great things and I will continue to buy Paradox products, but I will be doing it once those products go on sale because by the time they go on sale the bugs may (but are not always) fixed. tl;dr you could be getting more money out of me.

It's much more likely that QA found all the bugs and somebody just said "nah, gently caress that, release it anyway".

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think that's going to get resolved--that's working as intended, not a bug.

Well there's literally nothing I can do to fix this beyond removing my own army and letting the empire collapse entirely. I'm stuck at something like 70 vassals and can't transfer them to anyone. Guess I just restart?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Remember the good ol days when crusader kings 2 was in development and one of the selling points was that they outsourced their QA to an actual company that took pride in its work? Oh for the days of our youth.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Loading empires from old pre dlc saves seems pretty much to be a case of: you're hosed.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

evilmiera posted:

Well there's literally nothing I can do to fix this beyond removing my own army and letting the empire collapse entirely. I'm stuck at something like 70 vassals and can't transfer them to anyone. Guess I just restart?

Which major CK2 DLC hasn't broken savegames? You should always assume that you can't continue your old saves with the new patch. And they are actually rather compatible this time, instead of a map expansion making it flat out impossible to continue old savegames, you can still play on although your ability to hold big empires together is gone. Either restart or let your realm collapse to a more manageable size and start rebuilding. You don't even need to wait for big independence revolts, just grant your outlying dukes/kings independence.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Bonus feature - since Tunis starts off with a Catholic populace in the early start, if they revolt and win, it unlocks Jihads in the late 700s.

VVVV - sounds like you just want to win :smug:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 15, 2014

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Super.Jesus posted:

Honestly I'm not sure how you're supposed to go feudal without major gamey actions.

Neither am I. It's an absolute, unfun grind.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

How can you tell what starts are tribal? Are there any Muslim coastal tribes?

I think they said only pagans started as Tribal because they wanted them to 'feel different'.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fintilgin posted:

I think they said only pagans started as Tribal because they wanted them to 'feel different'.

There are tribal Catholics, in Ireland for example.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Bonus feature - since Tunis starts off with a Catholic populace in the early start, if they revolt and win, it unlocks Jihads in the late 700s.

VVVV - sounds like you just want to win :smug:

I found that one quote really weird, ofcourse i want to win. Who the gently caress likes losing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Torrannor posted:

There are tribal Catholics, in Ireland for example.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple tribal Muslims in Arabia.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

StashAugustine posted:

I'm pretty sure there are a couple tribal Muslims in Arabia.

Also in Morocco.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Remember the good ol days when crusader kings 2 was in development and one of the selling points was that they outsourced their QA to an actual company that took pride in its work? Oh for the days of our youth.

EU4 was quite polished at launch, want it? ROI was pretty messed up though, and this seems to be a little worst.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

canada jezus posted:

I found that one quote really weird, ofcourse i want to win. Who the gently caress likes losing.

Russians, based on what I remember Chewbot saying about Banner Saga feedback.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

ulmont posted:

Russians, based on what I remember Chewbot saying about Banner Saga feedback.

Weird. Anyway, did ck2 get harder or easier since release? I quit playing after i couldn't get the hang of the game and kept getting wrecked. Viceroys sound really fun though.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

canada jezus posted:

Weird. Anyway, did ck2 get harder or easier since release? I quit playing after i couldn't get the hang of the game and kept getting wrecked. Viceroys sound really fun though.
How do viceroys sound fun? they're just vassals.
I mean im just curious, dont mean to be a dick

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

gently caress the Abbasid's so hard. 30k levy god emperor controlling everything from Tunisia to India. He is only like 24 and all his vassal love him. With of course zero decadence. It took ounce of skill I had with a big dash of luck to hold back his war on me. He had tons of land occupied and had won a ton of early battles but I managed to get a big enough army together wipe out a series of stacks and was sieging stuff back when he sent one last about equal size stack at me and I got lucky and captured him in battle. I really should have executed him at the time but I didn't realize how powerful he was during that war.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

awesmoe posted:

How do viceroys sound fun? they're just vassals.
I mean im just curious, dont mean to be a dick

You get the titles back? MY problem with ck2 compared to eu4 is that everything seems like it spirals out of control faster. Honestly i could be wrong in that it makes a difference, but i don't know the game very well.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Am I supposed to get the Short Reign relations penalty when I create larger titles (like West Francia -> Empire of Francia -> HRE)?

Other annoying thing: You can't search in the Transfer Vassal popup by title, just name.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

canada jezus posted:

You get the titles back? MY problem with ck2 compared to eu4 is that everything seems like it spirals out of control faster. Honestly i could be wrong in that it makes a difference, but i don't know the game very well.

The problem is that you get a malus every time you grant a viceroyship - so if you hand out a dozen or so, everyone starts hating you (including other viceroys!) - then if a viceroy dies and you appoint a new one, you get an additional malus.

cheesetriangles posted:

gently caress the Abbasid's so hard. 30k levy god emperor controlling everything from Tunisia to India. He is only like 24 and all his vassal love him. With of course zero decadence. It took ounce of skill I had with a big dash of luck to hold back his war on me. He had tons of land occupied and had won a ton of early battles but I managed to get a big enough army together wipe out a series of stacks and was sieging stuff back when he sent one last about equal size stack at me and I got lucky and captured him in battle. I really should have executed him at the time but I didn't realize how powerful he was during that war.

As seen on Reddit, the Abbasids can still have nasty decadence revolts! 150K should do the trick.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wow, what kind of idiots require you register a user account before you're allowed even view the tech support forum?

Edit: with a CD key no less. gently caress anyone who wants to see if the game-breaking bug has been worked on or not, amirite?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It's their DRM, minor as it is.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's their DRM, minor as it is.

Maybe they should remove that "feature" while they have a "click to crash to desktop" button enabled.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Luigi Thirty posted:

Am I supposed to get the Short Reign relations penalty when I create larger titles (like West Francia -> Empire of Francia -> HRE)?

Other annoying thing: You can't search in the Transfer Vassal popup by title, just name.

Yes. At least every time your create a higher tier title than you currently own (duchy when you're a count, kingdom when you're a duke and empire when you are a king). I think you also get the short reign penalty when you switch your primary title.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
It's not letting me properly change the title of my kingdom if I'm a religion that likes the dynasty name. :negative:

Maybe if I restart the client?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's not letting me properly change the title of my kingdom if I'm a religion that likes the dynasty name. :negative:

Maybe if I restart the client?

Changes cultures to something not Bedouin, Berber, Turkish, Persian, or the Dravidians.

Religion only decides the flag, not the name.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

The problem is that you get a malus every time you grant a viceroyship - so if you hand out a dozen or so, everyone starts hating you (including other viceroys!) - then if a viceroy dies and you appoint a new one, you get an additional malus.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Oh well. Due to bugs and all, no reason to rush into this if i'm lukewarm on ck2 anyway, right?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Trabisnikof posted:

Maybe they should remove that "feature" while they have a "click to crash to desktop" button enabled.

Maybe you should buy the game and stop making GBS threads up the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

canada jezus posted:

Dorf Fort players!

• Locked thread