Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
0803 during the day, lot better during day than night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTIYop-LnU4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

EightBit posted:

God drat dude, I would have crept through that intersection with so many people walking around and such poo poo visibility to the side.

I wasn't going that fast, you need to play chicken with pedestrians because some of them just don't give a gently caress. But if they're just straight up not paying attention... that's what quick reflexes and a dashcam is for.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:stonkhat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-0E2Nxtm6o

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:rip:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

She lived. Shattered a couple vertebrae but she loving lived. Lucky she wasn't carrying a passenger though. Slow it down and you can see water bottles and hairbrushes flying down the road.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Got my new Mini 0803 today. This thing is amazing for the price, its construction is 10 times the camera that the G1W is. I'm going to install it in the morning and get some road video to see what that looks like.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Wickerman posted:

Got my new Mini 0803 today. This thing is amazing for the price, its construction is 10 times the camera that the G1W is. I'm going to install it in the morning and get some road video to see what that looks like.

Update the firmware. Works good otherwise but locks up every now and then and requires battery to run out to reboot usually.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Christobevii3 posted:

Update the firmware. Works good otherwise but locks up every now and then and requires battery to run out to reboot usually.

I looked for firmware on dashcamtalk, but I think my firmware (stamped 20140917) is newer than the one they have. Am I misunderstanding it?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yes it is! See if you can figure out how to dump that firmware and give it to everyone!

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Christobevii3 posted:

Yes it is! See if you can figure out how to dump that firmware and give it to everyone!

Sure! I'm looking that up now and if I can figure it out, I'll do it around 4-5pm EST and post it up here as well as on dashcamtalks.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
So I've extracted the firmware successfully. I uploaded it to Mediafire and the link is below.

This firmware is from a NOGPS, 1 CARD unit, date stamped as 20140915 v1.0. I also posted it on dashcamtalks so they can rehost it for everyone.

https://www.mediafire.com/?rbyz684uakccyi4

e: Wait to download it until dashcamtalks people verify that it's not corrupted/incomplete. I think this can happen when dumping firmware, so just wait for now.

Wickerman fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 23, 2014

ValleyGirl
Apr 4, 2014

Orininated in the Silicon Valley, emigrated to the San Fernando - ValleyGirl is THE distinctive high-tech caricature of a single white paraplegic female IT geek and ubernerd for all things scifi, political, aviation, and fast cars.

Wickerman posted:

I passed on the G1W, and I wish that the Mini 0803 was available when I bought mine - it looks like a much better package than what I've got. The 801 was available at the time I was buying, but the 140 degree wide angle lens (vs 135 degree) is what tipped me over in the direction of the SeeZeus GT680W. If I were buying today, it would be the 803...

That said, I'm very happy with my GT680W... I love it so much, I've started a small series of Dashcam videos for YouTube, capturing the various driving incidents I deal with on a day to day basis. Only the major idiots end up here, I tend to let little stuff slide. Quality is fantastic both at night and during the day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl9YHYiSTvo

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'm pretty happy with my 0803, the mounting style makes it a lot more discreet than the G1W was, I have it mounted on the back of a toll transponder. Running it with an anker power supply rather than the adapter it came with, hopefully the power quality is better and helps its reliability some.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

I come across oblivious pedestrians all the time, but this one was special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4L2zbcjfvA

You drive like a giant rear end in a top hat, and you should have shown the videos on your YouTube to that cop who pulled you over for 83 in a 55 so he could take your license away.

The only moron you're catching with your dashcam is you.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Citizen Tayne posted:

You drive like a giant rear end in a top hat, and you should have shown the videos on your YouTube to that cop who pulled you over for 83 in a 55 so he could take your license away.

The only moron you're catching with your dashcam is you.

Wow, who pissed in your cheerios this morning?

Try driving in Manhattan before you post poo poo.

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

thelightguy posted:

Driving in Manhattan doesn't give you the right to drive like a dangerous lunatic. I don't need to drive in New York in order to recognize stupid people behind the wheel.

I find it disturbing that you're defending a driver who laughs happily after nearly hitting a pedestrian. Hint: you may not like it, but no matter how much money you make and how stupid they're being, pedestrians always have the right of way.

Apr 7, 2003

thelightguy posted:

Try walking in Manhattan before you post poo poo.

http://nytrafficticket.com/nyc-leads-us-in-failing-to-yield-right-of-way-to-pedestrians/

quote:

The failure to yield the right of way to a pedestrian is a 3-point moving violation. It is one of the most unsafe moving violations which a motorist can commit given the obvious danger to individuals within striking distance of the offending vehicle.

A recent study reveals that New York City is the most dangerous place to be a pedestrian. The study revealed that 31% of traffic fatalities in New York City involve pedestrians, more than any other city in the nation. Specifically, 317 pedestrians were killed in city traffic accidents in 2008. In New York State, 23% of fatal accidents involved pedestrians.

Bullying pedestrians aside, the guy drives like a child and he will eventually kill someone. I hope it's just himself.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
He should probably slow down but yeah in a super crowded urban environment the interaction between pedestrians and cars is a bit more complex, IMO.

Lots of people in NYC just don't give a poo poo and walk wherever they want.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Chinatown posted:

He should probably slow down but yeah in a super crowded urban environment the interaction between pedestrians and cars is a bit more complex, IMO.

Not really. Motorists in all circumstances are required to yield to pedestrians, even when said peds are violating a signalized crossing. It's a pretty basic thing that everyone who isn't a sociopath inherently understands.

Apr 7, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Which is their right, and it's your responsibility as a driver to let them.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Chinatown posted:

Well, that is kinda how right of way works. Not sure why giving a poo poo changes the law.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maniacdevnull posted:

Well, that is kinda how right of way works. Not sure why giving a poo poo changes the law.

You still have to yield to j walkers by law.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking

Yielding to J-walkers is mandatory yes.

Honking at them and telling them to gently caress off is optional.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
double

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's not actually that simple. :ssh:

Once the pedestrian is in the road, yes, you gotta yield. But if they enter the road illegally (i.e., jaywalking) they can be cited as well. They don't have the "right" to just do whatever the gently caress they want. They just have the right to not be gibbed by a car.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chinatown posted:

I thought this was a requirement in Manhattan. The more you know!

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

Chinatown posted:

Yielding to J-walkers is mandatory yes.

Is posting videos of you "owning" pedestrians for your posting bros to laugh at optional, y/n.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Solus M.D. posted:

Is posting videos of you "owning" pedestrians for your posting bros to laugh at optional, y/n.

Only if the pedestrian gets sucked into the wheel well and their shoes shoot over the windshield

Apr 7, 2003

I hope that AI is a public forum, so that dude's posts can be read out in court at his trial after he weaves into a minivan full of kids.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

I hope that AI is a public forum, so that dude's posts can be read out in court at his trial after he weaves into a minivan full of kids.

He'll more likely be hoisted by his own dashboard-mounted petard

His recorded laughter ringing throughout the courtroom as he tries to avoid eye contact with the jury

Apr 7, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

I got stopped by an officer for doing 83 in a 55 (I-495), but he also dropped four other tickets that are complete bullshit, unsafe lane change (1128A), improper/no signal (1163D), starting a parked vehicle unsafely (1162), no seat belt (1229-C). No reason for it, I didn't even realize I had more than one ticket in my hands till he drove away. Enough tickets to lose my license.

1162 is the funniest, I didn't even have a chance to 'start unsafely' unless he was following me from the Dunkin Donuts I was at before getting on a half an hour earlier. I've googled the hell out of this and I can't figure it out. I know they write extra tickets as padding so the speeding ticket sticks if I fight it but it has to be a law I was physically capable of breaking, right? Or is life just unfair?

I've already lawyered up but it'll be a while before I sit down and go over this and I'm getting anxious, what should I expect?

gently caress the police.

Haha, gently caress the police. *runs over six children and a hot dog cart*

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

NOTinuyasha posted:

I got stopped by an officer for doing 83 in a 55 (I-495), but he also dropped four other tickets that are complete bullshit, unsafe lane change (1128A), improper/no signal (1163D), starting a parked vehicle unsafely (1162), no seat belt (1229-C). No reason for it, I didn't even realize I had more than one ticket in my hands till he drove away. Enough tickets to lose my license.

1162 is the funniest, I didn't even have a chance to 'start unsafely' unless he was following me from the Dunkin Donuts I was at before getting on a half an hour earlier. I've googled the hell out of this and I can't figure it out. I know they write extra tickets as padding so the speeding ticket sticks if I fight it but it has to be a law I was physically capable of breaking, right? Or is life just unfair?

I've already lawyered up but it'll be a while before I sit down and go over this and I'm getting anxious, what should I expect?

gently caress the police.

*gets ejected from car after slamming into a jersey barrier because he was speeding and not wearing a seat belt* Haha, gently caress the police.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I thought the video was posted not because the guy is completely oblivious walking through an intersection, but because he had an amusingly flamboyant reaction to almost getting hit that involved sort of blowing the driver a thank you kiss? I dunno, seemed adorable and funny considering the average response in that circumstance.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

davebo posted:

I thought the video was posted not because the guy is completely oblivious walking through an intersection, but because he had an amusingly flamboyant reaction to almost getting hit that involved sort of blowing the driver a thank you kiss? I dunno, seemed adorable and funny considering the average response in that circumstance.

NOTinuyasha posted:

I wasn't going that fast, you need to play chicken with pedestrians because some of them just don't give a gently caress. But if they're just straight up not paying attention... that's what quick reflexes and a dashcam is for.

Apr 7, 2003

that's what my dashcam is for... Recording the sad faces of the elderly as they slide down my windshield. gently caress the police.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Citizen Tayne posted:

Running over that hotdog cart might actually save lives.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

People (tourists especially) in Manhattan are gleefully oblivious to automobiles, of course there are excessive pedestrian fatalities. If you want to make a case that cars should be banned on the island, I'd be all for it, but driving in Manhattan as is is a special exercise in trying to not run down the most oblivious midwesterners to ever step off a double-decker bus tour.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Citizen Tayne posted:

Hachi machi!

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Glad I saw how not to drive before terrible driver guy went and panic closed his youtube account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Glad I saw how not to drive before terrible driver guy went and panic closed his youtube account.

It was really bad driving and I'm glad you got to see the child weave through traffic at high speeds and menace pedestrians with his budget Benz before he took the videos down.