  • Post
Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Nexus 9 rumored to be $399, that's kinda steep for a nexus tablet.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mister Fister posted:

Nexus 9 rumored to be $399, that's kinda steep for a nexus tablet.

That's what the 16 gb Nexus 10 was.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sounds like I should just buy a 2013 Nexus 7 before they're all gone

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That's what the 16 gb Nexus 10 was.

2560x1600@10" was groundbreaking in 2012, and PLS displays were still coming into their own. Based on the specs I've seen, N9 isn't breaking new ground. N7s have always been priced very competitively. Sorry for phone post.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 11, 2014

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

bawfuls posted:

Sounds like I should just buy a 2013 Nexus 7 before they're all gone

If you don't mind refurbished, 32gb Nexus 7 (2013) for $175.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bawfuls posted:

Sounds like I should just buy a 2013 Nexus 7 before they're all gone

I would be surprised if the Nexus 9 is meant to replace the Nexus 7 line too. I think a smaller 16:10 tablet and a bigger 4:3 (although I'd rather have seen 3:2) tablet are different enough to co-exist. For the smaller size 16:10 makes sense, since you can hold it in one hand, while for the bigger one the more balanced and wider/less tall 4:3 works better. I hope for a 16:10 Nexus 8 as replacement for the Nexus 7 in 2015 actually.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Tried that. The UAT downloaded the image fine, then I got this:

I don't know what it means by 'invalid state.'

The tablet is at the Fastboot menu.
I realise you "fixed" this now but for future reference, when I said "use fastboot" I meant actually use fastboot instead of whatever that dumb toolkit thing is. We see this kind of thing in the root thread with people getting weird messages and such and sometimes it's actually just the toolkit doing something dumb and hiding the real error. There is no good reason to be using a toolkit on a Nexus device, it's actually more complicated than using fastboot directly.

In this case I'd guess you're probably right about bad flash memory anyway. Only other thing I would have tried is recreating the partitions from scratch (with fastboot).

Edit: I googled that error and found this thread on XDA claiming that the recent bootloaders are just broken. I no longer own a N7 2012 so I can't test it but it looks like it probably wasn't your device:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2417097

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 11, 2014

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Decius posted:

I would be surprised if the Nexus 9 is meant to replace the Nexus 7 line too. I think a smaller 16:10 tablet and a bigger 4:3 (although I'd rather have seen 3:2) tablet are different enough to co-exist. For the smaller size 16:10 makes sense, since you can hold it in one hand, while for the bigger one the more balanced and wider/less tall 4:3 works better. I hope for a 16:10 Nexus 8 as replacement for the Nexus 7 in 2015 actually.
Have we seen any rumors/leaks about that though? My original N7 was killed back in the spring and I don't really want to wait till some nebulous time next year to get another one.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

RVProfootballer posted:

Maybe I read too quickly and you had already tried those, though :)

I did, though I worded it poorly:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Previously, trying to get to recovery resulted in a bootloop.

Any attempt to get into recovery (other than flashing the temp custom recovery,) just resulted in a bootloop.

Tunga posted:

In this case I'd guess you're probably right about bad flash memory anyway. Only other thing I would have tried is recreating the partitions from scratch (with fastboot).

Edit: I googled that error and found this thread on XDA claiming that the recent bootloaders are just broken. I no longer own a N7 2012 so I can't test it but it looks like it probably wasn't your device:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2417097

Yeah, I saw that as well. Being XDA, I didn't want to keep rooting through fifteen different threads to piece together whatever steps I might need to do to fix it.

In any event, it was quicker to just mash two half-broken tablets together.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Does anyone know how the Nexus 10 compares to a device like, say the Nexus 5 in terms of performance? I know the 10 is pushing more pixels, but the 5 feels snappier.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's a 2 year old SoC, so it's not terribly competitive nowadays.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why are you trying to compare an old 10 inch tablet to a newer five inch phone?

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Radbot posted:

Does anyone know how the Nexus 10 compares to a device like, say the Nexus 5 in terms of performance? I know the 10 is pushing more pixels, but the 5 feels snappier.

I own both. Well I did for nearly a year. Just sold my N10 for the Nvidia Shield Tablet.

My N10 felt nearly as snappy as my N5. Throughout the 1.5 years I owned it. But the N5 is noticeably faster. For the average user, I bet they'd say they were almost equal. The N10 screen is beautiful. Even to this day. Handled any game I installed. Still a very powerful device with a beautiful screen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I just got this PendoPad (Android 4.22) for free because my sister got two of them with her phone contract or something, and it was working fine until I turned it off and back on again and now it's got the word "Demo" in big red letters across the screen and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. I tried Googling and just turned up a bunch of people asking the same question with no helpful responses. Anyone here know how to fix this?

Edit: When I woke up today I had a look at the tablet and "Demo" is gone, so I guess I don't need an answer to this any more.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 15, 2014

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Posted to twitter ... I would like it to be a new Nexus tablet, but I'm game for anything right now. If no new Nexus tablet is announced this year I'll just grab whatever is best on the Android market.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

fondue posted:

Posted to twitter ... I would like it to be a new Nexus tablet, but I'm game for anything right now. If no new Nexus tablet is announced this year I'll just grab whatever is best on the Android market.

Yes, we're getting a Nexus tablet this year. NVIDIA has leaked it accidentally already and actual reputable sources like Android Police (which have been right in the past) and the Wall Street Journal (which typically doesn't post a rumor unless they know it's pretty much happening) have posted about it. It's went through the FCC already and there's an image of the back.

The only thing that's uncertain is if it'll launch on Oct 15, 2014 or not. Typically if that were the case, we'd have seen the press renders by now so who knows.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I have never used an Android device in the past, but I recently won a Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 through a company contest. What steps should I take to get the most out of my device? I will really only be using it for media consumption and games.

I know Android is considered to be vastly more customizable than ios; is there a good way to get started on that? Thanks!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
If you're just using it for media and games you don't need to do anything fancy. Get MX Player for video and Pocket Casts for podcasts, Google Play Books and Kindle for books.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.google.com/nexus/9/ official! preorders friday.

no word on how much RAM, I'm assuming 2GB but if anyone knows for sure that would be awesome

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The Verge has a few more details: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/15/6982223/google-htc-nexus-9-announcement-pricing-release-date

16GB is 399$ I was hoping for less, but probably still getting it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like there's going to be a keyboard dock too.

quote:

And since more and more people want to have the same simple experience they have on their tablets when they have to do real work, we designed a keyboard folio that magnetically attaches to the Nexus 9, folds into two different angles and rests securely on your lap like a laptop.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I'm picking up the 9 to replace my 2012 7. the play looks interesting too, might pick one up for bed room Plex

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lack of Qi is a real hangup for me. It's the difference between preordering this Friday and waiting and pondering the purchase.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, the Nexus Player is Amazon Fire TV? Same remote, same game pad? But, no access to Amazon Prime streaming. Winner.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Lack of Qi is a real hangup for me. It's the difference between preordering this Friday and waiting and pondering the purchase.

Is this proven or just omitted so far?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Is this proven or just omitted so far?

Just not enough info yet. I think there was some overreaction (That happens on the internet?!?!) and it was already shown that the n6 has Qi from motorola's website. There is still hope since google apparently didn't feel like sharing that info.

That said, after some reflection, I'll be pre-ordering. I wonder if all the stores will have a pre-order up on Friday or just the play store. If I could get those sweet amazon points I'd like to :P

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Can't help but feel disappointed in the nexus 9. Same price as a Nexus 10, lower resolution, 4:3 instead of glorious 16:10... blah.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What screen ratio is the iPad again? 4:3 right? The three brief weeks I spent with my Nexus 7 2013 made me come to hate 16:9 in a small form factor, is 16:10 that much better?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

EAB posted:

Can't help but feel disappointed in the nexus 9. Same price as a Nexus 10, lower resolution, 4:3 instead of glorious 16:10... blah.
The sub-300ppi display is disappointing but at least it's not the stupid 2048x1440 res everyone was reporting. Would 2560x1920 really have been that much more expensive? If it has Qi charging I'm still going to buy it.

Hadlock posted:

What screen ratio is the iPad again? 4:3 right? The three brief weeks I spent with my Nexus 7 2013 made me come to hate 16:9 in a small form factor, is 16:10 that much better?
Both Nexus 7 tablets are 16:10.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Is there a nexus 9/10 size comparison chart anywhere? Wondering how much smaller the screen really is without the huge bezels on the 10. Which I love the size of and am feeling quite reluctant to replace other than it's beginning to show its age.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So is nexus 7 out? If the page just had 9, 6 and player, I'd think "Ok, they are just showing the new stuff." But it has the Nexus 5 being on Lollipop. So the 2013 7 isn't going to get Lollipop right off the bat? I can't get to the play store at work, but it looks like the 9 is replacing the 7.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm not sold on the 4:3 aspect ratio and the pirce tag yet, but I guess I'll have to wait for some reviews first. My 2013 7 is still perfectly fine and I suppose I don't really NEED a new tablet yet...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Shannow posted:

Is there a nexus 9/10 size comparison chart anywhere? Wondering how much smaller the screen really is without the huge bezels on the 10. Which I love the size of and am feeling quite reluctant to replace other than it's beginning to show its age.
http://www.displaywars.com/8,9-inch-4x3-vs-10,055-inch-16x10

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm not sold on the 4:3 aspect ratio and the pirce tag yet, but I guess I'll have to wait for some reviews first. My 2013 7 is still perfectly fine and I suppose I don't really NEED a new tablet yet...

Yeah, my 2013 Nexus 7 is perhaps my favorite gadget that I own. I don't see anything with the Nexus 9 that might entice me to upgrade this year.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

So is nexus 7 out? If the page just had 9, 6 and player, I'd think "Ok, they are just showing the new stuff." But it has the Nexus 5 being on Lollipop. So the 2013 7 isn't going to get Lollipop right off the bat? I can't get to the play store at work, but it looks like the 9 is replacing the 7.

Nexus 7 should be getting lollipop November 3rd.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm not sold on the 4:3 aspect ratio and the pirce tag yet, but I guess I'll have to wait for some reviews first. My 2013 7 is still perfectly fine and I suppose I don't really NEED a new tablet yet...

4:3 9" is so much better for everything, especially reading PDFs with text that don't reflow. The 16:10 7" Nexus is a nightmare for reading technical PDFs that you have to zoom and scroll all over the place. I use my tablet to read 99% of the time, and I'm always noting how much better it is on my wife's iPad than my Nexus 7. I've had both 7s and the 10. I only got rid of the 10 because I changed jobs and instead of taking the train I biked, but once I got back on a train I bought the 7 because it was cheaper. After using the 7 for a few months, I want a bigger screen.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

4:3 9" is so much better for everything, especially reading PDFs with text that don't reflow. The 16:10 7" Nexus is a nightmare for reading technical PDFs that you have to zoom and scroll all over the place. I use my tablet to read 99% of the time, and I'm always noting how much better it is on my wife's iPad than my Nexus 7. I've had both 7s and the 10. I only got rid of the 10 because I changed jobs and instead of taking the train I biked, but once I got back on a train I bought the 7 because it was cheaper. After using the 7 for a few months, I want a bigger screen.

I'm going to disagree, 16:9 was a large part of my decision to get a Tab S instead of an iPad Mini. The form factor/Size is ideal for text that does reflow (Most eBooks/webpages) and media consumption while being extremely comfortable to hold and transport.

8 inch is an eBook replacement/video player with a lot more functionality. 10 inch is a laptop replacement, 9 inch 4:3 doesn't seem good at replacing either of those.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

You want a 16:10 aspect ratio, with Tegra K1? Go with the Nvidia Shield Tablet. I was a Nexus 10 owner for nearly 2 years. Sold it for the Nvidia Shield Tablet. I also own the Nexus 5 for nearly a year. The UI on the SHIELD Tablet is pretty close to stock Android 4.4.2. Granted, it's not 4.4.4 and no word on getting Android 5.0 yet. But it's a fantastic device with an 8" screen. Get the wireless controller, hook it up to your TV via mini HDMI, switch to Console mode in 1080p and be impressed with the power and visuals and responsiveness. Insall any emulator or any game you want. It also allows expandable storage for when you run out of room. I absolutely love this device for $299. So I don't have any need for the Nexus 9. Yes Qi charging would be nice, but I haven't done it yet with my N5, so I still don't know what I'm missing yet, and I'm fine with that.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Boywunda posted:

[...]

I use my shield for playing N64 games on my TV or wherever I'm at currently. Makes a pretty good console and I can plug in all my xbox 360 controllers for splitscreen games or games like Super Smash Bros.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Gunktacular posted:

I use my shield for playing N64 games on my TV or wherever I'm at currently. Makes a pretty good console and I can plug in all my xbox 360 controllers for splitscreen games or games like Super Smash Bros.

I have to say that is pretty baller.

I wonder how the Denver K1 compares to the Shield's K1 version. 64bit vs 32bit, 4+1core vs 2core. etc.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4