Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ochowie posted:

Just started listening to WHM and so far I like it a lot more than HDTGM. I'm not a huge fan of horror movies so I've been listening to some of the back episodes. Having The Net episode randomly start playing in the middle of a meeting at the point where the hosts are discussing Sandra Bullock in a bikini was the highlight of my day.

I sorta like WHM but they can be so goddamned long winded and they are not afraid to run jokes into the ground. Those jokers need to get an editor who can keep them on a short leash and turn an awful 70 minute podcast into a great 40 minute podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
On How Did This Get Made they jump all over the place and describe the movie very incoherently.

On We Hate Movies they usually go into too much detail. The plot descriptions are as long as the movies themselves.

The Flop House gets it just right. You get a pretty good sense of what the movie's like/about, and it moves along at a nice clip. All in all I think the formula they stick to is effective.

Note: I do like We Hate Movies though!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gargamel Gibson posted:

On How Did This Get Made they jump all over the place and describe the movie very incoherently.

This is my main problem with HDTGM. On the Flop House and We Hate Movies, I feel like I don't need to see the movie to understand the conversation, but HDTGM makes me feel like I do. And that would be fine if it wasn't a bad movie podcast. I don't wanna see Goobie to get the most out of a comedy podcast

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This is my main problem with HDTGM. On the Flop House and We Hate Movies, I feel like I don't need to see the movie to understand the conversation, but HDTGM makes me feel like I do. And that would be fine if it wasn't a bad movie podcast. I don't wanna see Goobie to get the most out of a comedy podcast

geuwbie

Vakal
May 11, 2008
WHM could be 10 hours long each episode and I would still listen to every goddamn second.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

I feel the exact same way but, in their defense, their entire model assumes that everyone's seen the movie. That's why they have the preview episode, unlike the other podcasts that keep it a secret until the day it drops.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gargamel Gibson posted:

On We Hate Movies they usually go into too much detail. The plot descriptions are as long as the movies themselves.

The Flop House gets it just right. You get a pretty good sense of what the movie's like/about, and it moves along at a nice clip. All in all I think the formula they stick to is effective.

I like Flop House but I think they get too distracted with puns/tangents/references and barely discuss the movie outside of the broadest terms and then jump into mailbag stuff which is my sign to turn it off. WHM does what I want out of a movie podcast but yeah, sometimes they run stuff into the ground.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I don't think its too much. They're the only ones I listen to when I haven't seen the movie because they describe it well enough for me to get all the jokes. Flophouse is great when I've seen the movie but its too easy for me to get lost when I haven't.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Meme Emulator posted:

I sorta like WHM but they can be so goddamned long winded and they are not afraid to run jokes into the ground. Those jokers need to get an editor who can keep them on a short leash and turn an awful 70 minute podcast into a great 40 minute podcast.

I noticed it's mostly Andrew. Someone will make a joke or an impression and Andrew will just repeat it while adding an obvious comment or something.
Guy's got the energy needed to keep the episodes going but he does need to tone that stuff down.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

weekly font posted:

I like Flop House but I think they get too distracted with puns/tangents/references and barely discuss the movie outside of the broadest terms and then jump into mailbag stuff which is my sign to turn it off. WHM does what I want out of a movie podcast but yeah, sometimes they run stuff into the ground.

Yeah, this has been my problem with the Flophouse after recently listening to some episodes. They have 30 minutes of mailbag, and the mailbag in the episodes I've listened hasn't been all that entertaining. I also haven't really found the two guys who aren't Elliot Kalan that funny either.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I will listen to hours of WHM as long as Eric is there. The Eric-less episodes usually fall flat for me.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I've listened to literally every single WHM (except for Wired) and every WHM spinoff (Side Order, Damnation, etc.) - most twice. I still can't differentiate between the different personalities once any given episode is done.

Edit: Tangential sidenote on how much I love the spooktacular theme. Never gets tired.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I think you nailed it. Each podcast has a different approach when dealing with the movies but I think the Flop House, even with their tangents, get it right most of the time. I compared the three podcast doing Easy Rider 2 and I ended up liking the Flop House episode more because it felt much more focused (but the other 2 podcast have their own strenghts as well).

Maybe if we took Elliot, June and one of the WHM guys (I still can't tell them apart) and put them doing a podcast we'll get the perfect bad movie podcast.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Modern Leper posted:

I've listened to literally every single WHM (except for Wired) and every WHM spinoff (Side Order, Damnation, etc.) - most twice. I still can't differentiate between the different personalities once any given episode is done.

Edit: Tangential sidenote on how much I love the spooktacular theme. Never gets tired.

For the longest time I didn't understand how people couldn't tell voices apart but I started listening to Flophouse and can't tell Dan/Stuart apart. I also can't tell the Alcohollywood guys apart.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't think I get why Eric Szyszka(?) is so loved around here. He says some funny things sometimes but I think Stephen Sajdak has the best batting average.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meme Emulator posted:

Podcast editor lol

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Beeez posted:

I don't think I get why Eric Szyszka(?) is so loved around here. He says some funny things sometimes but I think Stephen Sajdak has the best batting average.

I feel that a large part of it is that Eric has the most distinctive voice in the WHM crew so it's pretty easy to attribute the funny things he says to him. If Stephen did the entire podcast as Kid Stephen, though...

Also, Eric is usually replaced by Chris Cabin, who is entirely forgettable. There is usually a very noticeable dip in quality when Chris replaces Eric.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don't get how you guys can't tell the WHM people apart, they all sound very different to me. I am totally flabbergasted that anyone can't tell Dan/Stuart apart. Stuart talks in a pretty weird way in general, they have different pitches to their voices and different accents. I'm starting to think people who like movie podcasts all have some sort of sensory impairing brain damage.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I would pay money to see a Jason movie where it's just Jason picking off libertarians who were too stubborn to leave.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Drunkboxer posted:

I don't get how you guys can't tell the WHM people apart, they all sound very different to me. I am totally flabbergasted that anyone can't tell Dan/Stuart apart. Stuart talks in a pretty weird way in general, they have different pitches to their voices and different accents. I'm starting to think people who like movie podcasts all have some sort of sensory impairing brain damage.

I guess I just don't care who they are. The original Peaches are entirely distinguishable to me. But hey, if you'd prefer to call brain damage on people. v:shobon:v

EDIT: Actually, literally this. I know they have different voices (I don't think there's just one guy in the room), I just couldn't tell you who's who because their personalities don't stand out particularly strongly.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 15, 2014

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Drunkboxer posted:

Eric and Chris are the only ones I could see mixing up out of either group, everyone else has really distinct voices and personalities to me. Case in point: I was going to start defending Chris Cabin because I really like Blame It On Outer Space but then I realised that's Eric Szyszka's podcast. Whoops.

Chris Cabin still isn't that terrible though, he gets some good ones in here and there.

Production
Jun 11, 2001
It's been a while since I tried listening to the first few Flop Houses, but I remember Simon sounding dead-center between Dan and Stuart's voices, which was strange.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

I guess I just don't care who they are. The original Peaches are entirely distinguishable to me. But hey, if you'd prefer to call brain damage on people. v:shobon:v

EDIT: Actually, literally this. I know they have different voices (I don't think there's just one guy in the room), I just couldn't tell you who's who because their personalities don't stand out particularly strongly.

Well, that's to be expected with Dan since as the Leonardo of the group he is doomed to be eternally trapped in the middle ground. However, you can still tell it's him by the sighing.

With WHM, I think it's that they have a larger group (even adding one person to the mix increases the confusion a lot) and they don't have any strong personality splits. There's a lot of crossover within the group and there isn't a lot of defining themselves as characters. (Their inability to do this may be part of the reason the comedians on the other two big bad movie podcasts are employed as writers for comedy television shows while they're yet another local comedy group.)

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Podcast editor lol

Matt Gourley. I swear, half the podcast I subscribed to is edited by that guy.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

davidHalestorm posted:

Matt Gourley. I swear, half the podcast I subscribed to is edited by that guy.

Being a professor of theatre must be a pretty easy gig because that guy shows up everywhere

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I swear I thought there was only 3 dudes on WHM until a few months ago. It was all eric, steve, and andrew to me.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

WHM has a listener request thing for Animation Damnation until the end of October if anyone missed it. Just write into their mailbag.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Did anything come out of their heman shera Christmas special contest?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

weekly font posted:

I Still Know is monumentally retarded and assumes its audience is just as dumb. It should be fun.

Gotta say I'm a bit let down by the Jason Goes to Hell episode. They glossed over a lot of the dumb poo poo in the movie, which, with how much they DID go over should tell you a lot about JGtH.

Can you expand on this? I already had trouble believing Creighton Duke is a real character in a non-comedy film.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Can you expand on this? I already had trouble believing Creighton Duke is a real character in a non-comedy film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1WJzTTRuRk

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Chris is okay but only when he's legitimately offended by how bad a movie is.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 17, 2014

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Flophouse 4th Wheelers Al Magical and Hallie Haglund are on the daily show podcast this week in a turn that makes me realize that Hallie has been drunk every time she's been on the Flophouse

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Grapplejack posted:

He is great in Blame it on Rio, but I am just going to blame that on Rio.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yesterday's Flop House had probably the least time devoted to actually discussing the movie I've heard on any podcast (Dario Argento's Dracula 3D), but it was overall a very funny episode.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I liked Dan and Stuart's mutual unspoken refusal to do a bit about Seinfeld Dracula

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I can imagine that '70s Woody Allen vampire movie so clearly in my mind it's shocking that it's not a real thing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

GraPar posted:

I can imagine that '70s Woody Allen vampire movie so clearly in my mind it's shocking that it's not a real thing.

I have seen precisely two Woody Allen films, and I can too, it's creepy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GraPar posted:

Sadly, the time for that has passed.

And I'm with Elliott. The Fearless Vampire Killers should never count for anything.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Flop House AMA with Dan and Stuart:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2jq9fv/iama_dan_mccoy_and_stuart_wellington_of_the_flop/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Grapplejack posted:

I'm slowly warming up to Chris, but I still cringe every time he breaks the audio levels with his yelling. Learn how to podcast man!