Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Neo Rasa posted:

Why would you do this to someone. :(

One of the games on my list is The Path. Pretty sure anything will be a step up from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zombie Samurai posted:

One of the games on my list is The Path. Pretty sure anything will be a step up from that.

Well have I got a surprise for you!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYwkPko99ps

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Path isn't even a game.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Path rules though?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

:stare:

Cardiovorax posted:

The Path isn't even a game.

This is gonna be a really short write-up, then.

Okay seriously though, how is it that all the Tale of Tales games have middling to positive reviews on Steam?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Okay seriously though, how is it that all the Tale of Tales games have middling to positive reviews on Steam?
I have absolutely no idea, believe you me. If I had to make any guess, it's because of the games-as-arts crowd giving them perfect scores, while the few normal people who bought them out of ignorance rated them for what they actually are.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Zombie Samurai posted:

:stare:

no one plays them and then reviews them unless they know that a tale of tales game is what they need in their life coming in.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Weird Games days 1-4
Weird Games days 5-8

Let's look at some more contemporary (but still weird) horror.

9. Shadows of the Damned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McKgiNhY_sA
A joint production between the master of weird Goichi Suda and Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami, Shadows of the Damned was left in the shadows by Electronic Arts' tepid marketing. It's a mistake to skip out on this one as it's everything I wanted RE5 and RE6 to be. Taking the familiar over-the-shoulder action view, your weapon is a transforming skull gun (slash motorcycle) that can transform into various accessories as you collect them. Shadows play a role with some enemies being wreathed in darkness that must be dispelled and completely dark areas where your only hope is to light the area long enough to find the goat head that dispels it. Being a Shinji Mikami game you can expect crazy bosses and Suda throws his hand in with surreal sequences involving turning the game into a vertical SHMUP shooting and of course his fetish for wrestling.

Being a Suda game the plot is lascivious and sexually charged which can come off creepy but it also serves the plot in a good way. You play Garcia Hotspur, a testosterone charged demon slayer whose girlfriend Paula is kidnapped by Fleming, the Lord of Demons. It sets up as a "get the girl" story but takes a twisted turn as Fleming constantly murders her before you. You're constantly chasing a princess that's always out of your reach and there's some legitimate disturbing scenes. While the payoff in the end isn't the kind of commentary I expected out of the plot it's still a wild ride all the way through.

10. Catherine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLEBzLf6RY8
When Catherine was announced nobody really knew what to make of it. Years after its release I still don't know what to make of it. At its heart is a puzzle game where you climb a tower of shifting blocks. But like Persona 3 and 4 it's framed around a social meta-game that's arguably its greatest strength. At its simplest, Catherine is about a curse that targets men forcing them to climb for their lives in a hellish nightmare every night. After every night you speak with your friends in a bar, interact with the various customers who all have their own issues, and get funny beer trivia by getting wasted.

Catherine isn't a traditional horror game but it's still strongly horror themed. Death constantly looms behind you, sometimes literally as nightmares are ended with a boss representing a grotesque inhibition. But at the heart of the deadly curse is a fear of commitment. As reality twists around protagonist Vincent he becomes increasingly more paranoid and you, the player, begin questioning whether the events are truly real or not. My favorite feature is how so many of the social aspects ultimately tie into the plot itself. The story itself is framed in a Twilight Zone manner and there's an in-world arcade game, both of these elements tying into a greater meta-plot.

If you haven't played Catherine, at least check the demo out. It's a unique game that shouldn't be missed.

11. Eldritch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBHpEuKxYcA
I don't know where the procedural generated, roguelike-like explosion came from. Maybe Minecraft? I would argue that Minecraft's survival mode has a lot more in common with "survival horror" than most games carrying the moniker. Either way, Eldritch is one of those games whose appearance immediately comes off as cheap and copycat-ish but you'd be mistaken to write it off.

Based on the Cthulhu Mythos, Eldritch is a first person stealth roguelike. Emphasis on the stealth. This is not an action game. Enemies respawn elsewhere when killed, some can't be killed at all, equipment is at a premium, and being spotted usually means you're going to get a tentacle or fireball to the face. The sound design is fantastic and you need to play this game with a good sound setup or headphones to get the most out of it. Enemies all make audio cues and it's not uncommon for something to sneak up and whisper behind you.

It's relatively simple with only a few weapons and enemy types but its strength is in that simplicity. The first dungeon can be over in 10 minutes but after that the game gets haaaaard. The second dungeon starts throwing tricky enemies your way like a statue that instantly teleport to attack you when your back is turned and immortal mummies that follow you throughout the floor you're on. If you want a truly unique survival horror give Eldritch a try.

12. Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZjk9zgKF4A
Stubbs was a late Xbox release and carried a pedigree with it long before its released. Developed by one of the founders of Bungie and "Built with the HALO engine," Stubbs was hyped up and promptly forgotten. Which is a shame. Stubbs isn't a good game but it's certainly one of the more interesting in the Xbox's library.

Reversing the normal roles, you play as the zombie who amasses an army of followers by eating their brains. Each level is basically an action puzzle where you consume as many brains as possible to send your army against increasingly well armed enemies. Stubbs can use his hand to sneak around and convert hard to reach enemies or launch his head like an explosive bowling ball. The game also features some great covers of classic songs like Mr. Sandman and Earth Angel.

As far as I know the only way to play the game is by buying a physical copy. It might be backwards compatible with the Xbox360 but Microsoft removed it from their store for whatever reason. Apparently it was available on Steam at one point as well but I couldn't tell you how well the PC version runs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Stubbs is fun and entertaining, I recommend it. It's also the only game there is where you play the zombie invasion, not fight it. Worth trying for that alone.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Stubbs is great but feels super unpolished. It was also fatally buggy for me... I got stuck just after the dance-off against the general, and couldn't progress. Otherwise I probably would have finished it. As rough as it is, it's very unique.

I'm going to hit on Eldrich too, I think it's a very interesting game with some very significant flaws. I haven't played it in a few patches either, so I want to see all the neat new stuff that was added.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zombie Samurai posted:

Stubbs is great but feels super unpolished. It was also fatally buggy for me...

Well like it says on the box, "MADE WITH THE HALO ENGINE."

I do love that game though. I have it on XBox but look around for it on PC. Wish there was still a way for people to actually spend money on it but look around.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I had no issues with bugs, but yeah, it is unpolished. It also gets boring really quickly. Still, for a while it's really fun, and it shouldn't be too expensive these days.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
All you folks playing horror games and such, I recommend Realms of the Haunting, an old story-heavy horror FPS for the PC. I won a copy of it at a simple university course I was taking during middle school, and it scared the poo poo out of my back then. Not so much anymore, but it's not terrible from what I remember (but it has been a long time). Get the Director's Cut if you can, it comes with extra cutscenes or something.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I had no issues with bugs, but yeah, it is unpolished. It also gets boring really quickly. Still, for a while it's really fun, and it shouldn't be too expensive these days.

Actually, as far as I know it's currently unavailable. Poor Stubbs was pulled from Steam long ago and doesn't appear to be on any of the other download sites.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

All you folks playing horror games and such, I recommend Realms of the Haunting, an old story-heavy horror FPS for the PC. I won a copy of it at a simple university course I was taking during middle school, and it scared the poo poo out of my back then. Not so much anymore, but it's not terrible from what I remember (but it has been a long time). Get the Director's Cut if you can, it comes with extra cutscenes or something.

Realms of the Haunting is my day 13 and you can get the Director's Cut off GOG which everyone should!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I played it a few years ago. It's pretty decent. Not scary, but atmospheric and interesting. Worth trying, certainly. Also, fully acted cutscenes make me smile with nostalgia.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Actually, as far as I know it's currently unavailable. Poor Stubbs was pulled from Steam long ago and doesn't appear to be on any of the other download sites.
Well, that's a shame.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Stubbs is fun and entertaining, I recommend it. It's also the only game there is where you play the zombie invasion, not fight it. Worth trying for that alone.

If you like the idea of being on the "other" side of the zombie invasion I can recommend Zombie Dawn.

It's a topdown strategy game, where you control zombies and make them eat/convert all the people in each level. Later you get superpowers so you can make explosive zombies or screaming zombies that stops running people. It's a pretty good, if short game. It's not very scary though.

You can play it for free without a Runescape/Jagex account, pick "just play" twice if you don't care about saving your progress.
http://mggameserver4.funorb.com/g=zombiedawn/game.ws?js=1

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Has that issue been fixed where Stubbs absolutely will not install on any system that's Windows 7 64-bit or newer? I can't remember if it was a 64 bit issue or a Windows 7 issue, but the game never installed for me and I looked it up and apparently it just will not work with newer Windows OSes. It was the only reason I got rid of my game discs.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

al-azad posted:

Realms of the Haunting is my day 13 and you can get the Director's Cut off GOG which everyone should!

Literally minutes after I posted, it came out in an indiegala bundle, for $1: https://www.indiegala.com/

Don't actually know if it's the Director's Cut, but I'm pretty sure. Why wouldn't it be?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Has that issue been fixed where Stubbs absolutely will not install on any system that's Windows 7 64-bit or newer? I can't remember if it was a 64 bit issue or a Windows 7 issue, but the game never installed for me and I looked it up and apparently it just will not work with newer Windows OSes. It was the only reason I got rid of my game discs.

I haven't tried playing it in years, but thinking about it this might be the reason it was pulled from distribution.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Literally minutes after I posted, it came out in an indiegala bundle, for $1: https://www.indiegala.com/

Don't actually know if it's the Director's Cut, but I'm pretty sure. Why wouldn't it be?

Nosferatu is in that pack and I recommend that too. It's a first person shooter where you have to rescue your family from a randomly generated castle within a strict time limit. Kind of reminds me of Eldritch in a way with enemies that have specific weaknesses.

Not a great game but worth a buck.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't played the game since XP was still a thing, so I'm guessing that's still true.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zombie Samurai posted:

I haven't tried playing it in years, but thinking about it this might be the reason it was pulled from distribution.

I was curious and looked it up, and from what I gleaned from the Steam forums from last year it will run on Windows 7 64 bit with the Steam version (assuming you bought it in time), but it may have issues with certain ATI cards. The big hurdle seems to be just getting it to install at all.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
It seems that Gog is giving away AvP2000 for free if you sign up to test their multiplayer service thingy (by playing AvP2000)

Speaking of aliens, Alien: Isolation is the first legit scary game I've experienced in years. Haven't freaked out this hard in a long while. Kinda impressive how they achieve it purely through clever gameplay design, considering how stale the monster and the setting are in TYOOL.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

al-azad posted:

Nosferatu is in that pack and I recommend that too. It's a first person shooter where you have to rescue your family from a randomly generated castle within a strict time limit. Kind of reminds me of Eldritch in a way with enemies that have specific weaknesses.

Not a great game but worth a buck.

I really like Nosferatu. But! It's ugly as sin and it's clunky as gently caress, but if you can get past it it's a neat horror FPS.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I want to get Evil Within but my vidcard decided to crap itself, thanks a lot, guess ill watch a movie in halloween, what is this 1997?!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

woodenchicken posted:

It seems that Gog is giving away AvP2000 for free if you sign up to test their multiplayer service thingy (by playing AvP2000)

Speaking of aliens, Alien: Isolation is the first legit scary game I've experienced in years. Haven't freaked out this hard in a long while. Kinda impressive how they achieve it purely through clever gameplay design, considering how stale the monster and the setting are in TYOOL.

Alien is the only game I know of that trains you to look up. Normally you have to watch out for corners or shadows but this may be the first game where the enemy can and will attack you from the ceiling. Humans have no danger from the sky and I'm surprised more games haven't taken advantage of our natural blind spot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Probably because it's a blind spot in our thinking as well. Nobody expects danger from above, so people designing danger don't even think of putting it there.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I don't usually watch Let's Plays, but the Super Great Friend and the Super Replay walkthroughs of Illbleed have been fascinating. What a crappy, brilliant, tense and goofy game that is.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For people looking for a really goddamn scary game for free, Aliens vs Predator Classic is free on GOG right now. The Marine campaign is ridiculously tense, especially on higher difficulties where the lightning-fast Aliens can really tear you a new rear end in a top hat.
Oh and the Alien spawns are random, both in number and location, so the game is still loving scary even on replays.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Part 2 of my :skeltal:Halloween Backlog Spooktacular!:skeltal:

Week 1: Deadly Premonition

Week 2: The Walking Dead, Season 1

What's there to say that hasn't been said, The Walking Dead is really good, and I regret not playing it sooner. Lots of decisions that were hard to choose between, and now I want to check out the Fable game to see if it's as good.

Week 3: Dead Space 3
Week 4: ZombiU

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Very informative! Great work!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

One thing I really like about the screenshots I'm seeing is that it's actually using darkness, and not just "muddied shades of dark purple/brown/grey and where the hell is that light coming from". Too many games (and cinema for that matter) just don't use shadow anymore.

al-azad posted:

When Catherine was announced nobody really knew what to make of it. Years after its release I still don't know what to make of it. At its heart is a puzzle game where you climb a tower of shifting blocks. But like Persona 3 and 4 it's framed around a social meta-game that's arguably its greatest strength. At its simplest, Catherine is about a curse that targets men forcing them to climb for their lives in a hellish nightmare every night. After every night you speak with your friends in a bar, interact with the various customers who all have their own issues, and get funny beer trivia by getting wasted.

It's also got a goddamn analingus monster boss because why not.

woodenchicken posted:

Playing a bit of Alien: Isolation really makes me want a Predator game set in the jungle in the same tone, where it's hunting you. I hope that comes next.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

It's also got a goddamn analingus monster boss because why not.
And that's how you can tell it was made by the SMT guys.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I didn't get to play any spoooooooooky games last night on account of spending 3 hours at a pumpkin patch with a gaggle of 2-year-olds. However, it's a slow day at work and there are some terribly Halloweeny games that I'm not going to get around to playing. So let's do a...

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October BONUS ROUND :spooky:

A. Painkiller: Black Edition

This right here is about the Halloweeniest shooter you're going to get this side of KISS Psycho Circus. It's a Serious Sam-style FPS with the look and feel of Quake, except with more colors and cooler weapons. The levels are super varied and interesting, sending you through an opera house, a hellish version of Venice, a snowy mountaintop outpost, and one of the coolest renditions of actual hell ever. You also get demon superpowers and collectable Tarot cards that give you new abilities. The monsters are crazy and the shooting is amazing. Oh, and the story is hilariously dumb but neat because it changes depending on the difficulty you play on. Black Edition also comes with the expansion, Battle out of Hell, which has more interesting levels but isn't quite as fun as the original. Pick this up if you don't have it... and forget anything else with the Painkiller name exists. Seriously.

B. The Void

If you want something unique, atmospheric, and creepy, this should be right up your alley. The Void casts you as a lost soul lost in limbo, struggling to avoid final death. To do that you must grow color, the lifeblood of the world beyond. It plays like a first-person adventure game, with some exploration and combat, but much of the emphasis is on tending your gardens of color and dealing with the odd denizens of the void. It's the NPCs that make this game, because they are both very unique characters and VERY creepy presences. This is not a game where you follow quest markers and fill up a bar to win the game. Everyone in the void has an agenda and wants you to help them, sometimes to your mutual benefit, oftentimes not. You won't get a good ending the first time you play (unless you cheat and use a walkthru), but that's part of the allure, unraveling the mystery and deceptions. Definitely set aside some time for this one.

C. Shadowgrounds

I'm going to hit on the sequel, Shadowgrounds: Survivor, later on in my roundup (spoiler: it's not as good) but I can't let this little gem go unmentioned. Shadowgrounds is an isometric action shooter that has you as a hapless maintenance man on a colony world where things go completely to hell. It's you versus hordes of aliens as you try to fight your way off-world through darkened bases and crashed ships. The atmosphere definitely borrows from both Alien and DOOM in places, with quiet spells and sudden ambushes punctuated by frantic shootouts with horrible monsters. You get a wide range of weapons as well, and can find scrap throughout the levels to upgrade them with new abilities (not just more damage!). It's a no-frills game with a serviceable story that you'll blow through in a few hours, but I guarantee it'll be a fun ride.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Neo Rasa posted:

This intro cinematic is amazing.

"The white water turns them back to normal!" :what:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Two weeks out from Halloween, this thread really should be seeing more action. I guess the Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within threads hoovered up all the trending discussions.

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

Challenge Games
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!

Bonus Games
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds

11. Home

I think anyone who's ever played a video game has wished at some point to have some real impact on the story. That's why we make such big deals about morality systems and multiple endings, to feel like we actually have some agency in our pre-programmed experience. Home offers just that, the ability to shape the story through your actions, and decide the outcome.

It's just so boring you won't even care.

I don't want to get into too much detail about the gameplay because honestly, if you know nothing about the game and can immerse yourself in the experience, it's pretty effective the first time. The atmosphere is appropriately mysterious and oppressive, and there are a number of unsettling things to uncover. And there are a few scares to be had, but they're all just loud noise jumpscares that the game does not earn in the least. Aside from that, it's really just a low-res walking simulator. You walk right, you walk left, you go through doors and holes in fences and up stairs and down stairs, and you look at things. There's a lot of reading. A LOT.

The variable elements of the story are based on what points of interest you actually examine during the game, and your responses to several Y/N choices upon finding certain things. At the very end there's a final sequence of Y/N questions that, unfortunately, kind of blows the entire premise. The first one has a right and wrong answer, and the wrong answer gets you a super lovely "I have no idea" ending. The questions after that affect your own fate, but in terms of the overall story just give you a super vague rundown of how certain characters might be involved. I've played through a couple times, and if there's a way to get a more satisfying ending out of it I haven't found it.

If you've got it in your backlog you might as well give it a chance, but outside of the decent atmosphere it falls pretty flat as both a game and an experience.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Morpheus posted:

Thanks for posting this, I've been wanting Nosferatu and a chance to try out Lucius, though I've heard pretty bad things about the latter.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Thanks for posting this, I've been wanting Nosferatu and a chance to try out Lucius, though I've heard pretty bad things about the latter.

As poorly designed as Lucius is, it has some great kills and weird Lynchian moments throughout. It's basically a puzzle adventure game where you're trying to find out how to skill a specific target. You can't fail, you just have to click around until you figure out the specific triggers to watch people die in glorious fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Weird Games days 1-4
Weird Games days 5-8
Weird Games days 9-12

13. Realms of the Haunting

I've already talked about Realms of the Haunting but I'll talk about it again: this is an unsung hero of the genre. A year before Half-Life revolutionized storytelling in first person shooters with its mix of scripted sequences and 2 years before System Shock 2 advanced the adventure/action hybrid its predecessor set, Realms of the Haunting was that blend. It uses cutscenes to advance the story but it also uses scripted events and items to great effect. To use an example, the very first scene is you standing in the entry hall to a creepy mansion. You walk into a room and immediately a typewriter begins spitting out a letter. Picking up the letter you read a scrawled message straight out of The Shining.

As a shooter Realms is passable. But as a horror-adventure hybrid it's unsurpassed until System Shock 2 years later. It also has the acclaim of being one of the few games with live actors that isn't awful! Get it on GOG, it's great.

Special mention goes to Clive Barker's Undying which follows a similar presence. It suffers from terrible loading issues (it was going to debut on Dreamcast and the design shows) but it's another decent horror shooter.

14. Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dwukeu8alE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIa7Kwt-uD0

Time for a bad double feature. Heck, if you know what you're doing you can beat each game in 90 minutes or so. H.P. Lovecraft brand of cosmic horror is much imitated but rarely well. In their heady early 90s days Infogrames released two games heavily based on his Mythos and both of them are laughing stocks.

Shadow of the Comet is the better of the two games, although I say that lightly. Despite being released in 1993 it's entirely keyboard based like the 80s Sierra games which makes it hard to control. The graphics are actually very well done with large, detailed backgrounds and cinematic close ups. The same can't be said about the laughable voice acting. The plot otherwise unfolds like a generic detective story with sparse bits of Lovecraftian mystery thrown in.

The sequel is laughably bad. The backgrounds are largely pre-rendered and the characters are CGI models converted to sprites. The result is an ugly game with stiff animations that look like someone tried to render an adventure title with Mortal Kombat characters. It's shorter and simpler than SoC but uglier and constantly interrupts the flow of the story with PowerPoint slides. I wouldn't be surprised if Hideo Kojima directed this game because whenever something interesting begins to happen the characters aside while still screenshots cycle across the screen.

I'd give Shadow of the Comet a try if you're into old adventure games like Gabriel Knight. It's still a middling adventure but there's a sort of charm to it that I like. It's slow paced and meandering then ramps up to an alarming finish like most of Lovecraft's work although I take issue with the protagonist coming out fine in the end. As for PoI, watch the longplay to see how laughable it is.

Special mention to MicroProse's Return of the Phantom. Again, a middling adventure game but with digitized actors and some stellar cinematic scenes for a 1993 game. It's everything Prisoner of Ice tried to be.

15. It Came from the Desert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTWd_eyAmgQ

Out of all the games I'm playing this year, this one is hard to truly call horror but its aesthetic is thick in B movie monster flicks like Them! It Came is an expansion on Cinemaware's Defender of the Crown formula, you have to convince a small town of an impending attack by giant ants. It's a free form, non-linear game with a time limit and failure state that can put people off. But it's well scripted, sticks closely to its strong aesthetic, and is a blast to play once you understand all the subsystems and mini-games.

With King of Dragon Pass coming back in the public eye, I'd love to see a remake of this game. There's a lot of great ideas here and its setting practically stands unique out of all video games.

16. Braindead 13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV4lQ_LgsGE

This one is a straight up guilty pleasure. The CD era saw a revival of the Dragon's Lair style laserdisc games and Braindead 13 was one of the most heavily advertised of its time. And for good reason, it's beautifully animated and wouldn't look out of place as a Saturday morning cartoon. I remember renting this game and playing it after reruns of The Addams Family and Beetlejuice cartoon (the creator is actually credited as the character designer on Beetlejuice). I could beat this thing in my sleep but my bad reflexes today keep me from getting the iOS release.

At least give it a watch if you like cartoons. The full game without dying is about 30 minutes and the video I linked I believe is from the superior 3DO version.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 25, 2014