Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

PelvicNerve posted:

Loved the S.H.I.E.L.D reference. I still hope that series comes more into play by the end of the run (and these last 2 issues release).

Brian looks awesome and I'm still confused as to why SHIELD would spend all these resources hunting down the Illuminati rather than the Cabal. No doubt this will be made clear as there are a lot of holes right now but that police state vibe is creepy.

It actually seems like the Cabal is supported by governments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PelvicNerve posted:

Brian looks awesome and I'm still confused as to why SHIELD would spend all these resources hunting down the Illuminati rather than the Cabal. No doubt this will be made clear as there are a lot of holes right now but that police state vibe is creepy.

Based on the tone and conversations in the previous NA, I'm pretty sure the world went "the Cabal is technically saving us, give them what they want" so Shield is stuck only being able to deal with the Illuminati.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Last I heard Amadeus Cho was the head of the Olympus Corporation, a multi billion dollar company that represented the Greek God's on Earth.

So to hear him gloat about why he deliberately doesn't pay taxes because he is smart and he doesn't like the idea of where the money goes. Um....yeah.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure it was also done in Secret Warriors.

I've definitely forgotten about this - where did it get pulled in during Secret Warriors? I should reread that book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

squidgee posted:

I've definitely forgotten about this - where did it get pulled in during Secret Warriors? I should reread that book.

Some technology that is involved with his final gambit and leads to the creation of LDM. It also caused for his brother to go a little crazy.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Senor Candle posted:

It actually seems like the Cabal is supported by governments

That was my understanding of last issue as well, which makes this all the more bizarre. The illuminati have done morally and legally debatable stuff but they're nothing close to the Cabal.
Cue a twist where they're wanted by everyone for that one time they were willing to let an incursion run its course but the Cabal saved the world.

Then again, we don't know why the illuminati are wanted or that the U.S. supports the Cabal.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm liking this story, but the more the timeskip goes on, the more it feels like one of those stories where everything's just going to get undone at the end. Like, Captain Britain mentions that he's the last Captain Britain, right? And Captain Britain's job is to protect the omniverse and he's got a corps of alternate versions of himself doing that, but see now this implies that at some point during the time skip the Illuminati or the Cabal or maybe just Braddock himself are going to go kill every other Captain Britain? I mean Jesus, that's grim. Then you've got Sunspot telling Thor and Hyperion that they're going to definitely die universes away (I mean I know this is a fake out and they'll either make it back or not die but come on) and Wakanda getting leveled and it just all feels... fake or something. Like I'm going to put this book down, say "That was a neat mini" then go read the actual Avengers.

Again, not saying the story's bad at all, I just find that it all feels... fake or something. I guess I'm getting the same vibe from this timeskip that I got from Uncanny Avengers' big time travel plot story arc I really liked but everybody called as being inconsequential.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I'm liking this story, but the more the timeskip goes on, the more it feels like one of those stories where everything's just going to get undone at the end. Like, Captain Britain mentions that he's the last Captain Britain, right? And Captain Britain's job is to protect the omniverse and he's got a corps of alternate versions of himself doing that, but see now this implies that at some point during the time skip the Illuminati or the Cabal or maybe just Braddock himself are going to go kill every other Captain Britain? I mean Jesus, that's grim. Then you've got Sunspot telling Thor and Hyperion that they're going to definitely die universes away (I mean I know this is a fake out and they'll either make it back or not die but come on) and Wakanda getting leveled and it just all feels... fake or something. Like I'm going to put this book down, say "That was a neat mini" then go read the actual Avengers.

Again, not saying the story's bad at all, I just find that it all feels... fake or something. I guess I'm getting the same vibe from this timeskip that I got from Uncanny Avengers' big time travel plot story arc I really liked but everybody called as being inconsequential.

Yeah I'm kind of worried about that as well. I think all of these could be worked in and it would be fine. (No one was using Captain Britian anyways, Thor and Hyperion are going to beard their way back somehow, and Wakanda could be rebuilt.) I really hope it isn't retconned away.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

I'm with you--the difference in the Marvel U "8 months later" and uh, now, is pretty drat drastic, and I'm skeptical that interim issues will make the interim progression seem natural. (It does certainly come up with a good reason for there not to be an ongoing FF comic, because how do you bring them back together after this without major repercussions?) It reminds me of that one not-too-distant-future in Uncanny X-Force where Psylocke is head of Psi-Crimes or whatever, but this is actually what's going to happen (and if comics have beat one thing into my skull is that "here's what lies ahead" never ever happens). Looking forward to seeing it come together.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 15, 2014

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Eh, IIRC this is like the third or fourth time that the Captain Britain Corps has been pretty much destroyed.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm guessing our Captain Britain led the rest of the Corp against The Great Destroyer in their attempt to save the Multiverse, this failed and resulted in Braddock losing his eye and the rest of the Corp being killed.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

This is probably the first glimpse of the broken FF. Even if it's some corporate bullshit, Marvel is going to take full advantage of a fractured Fantastic Four.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I loved the heck out of NA this week, but I think Avengers World was pretty good too. Little rushed but I was actually satisfied with the conclusions to each of the various plots.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Based on the tone and conversations in the previous NA, I'm pretty sure the world went "the Cabal is technically saving us, give them what they want" so Shield is stuck only being able to deal with the Illuminati.

Given the change in tone and everything, I'm not sure the Illuminati isn't supposed to be the "good guys" now. I mean, they really don't go into what happened in those 8 months, and Sue Storm/Menace is being pretty drat evil.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

How is Sue being evil? She's pissed at Reed because he was doing the same bullshit he always does and kept secrets from her.

And the Malice bit won't last through to this. That'll be resolved when FF ends.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rkajdi posted:

Given the change in tone and everything, I'm not sure the Illuminati isn't supposed to be the "good guys" now. I mean, they really don't go into what happened in those 8 months, and Sue Storm/Menace is being pretty drat evil.

Sue is being Sue after having to give up on family. She's really loving dangerous when she wants to and everyone knows it. Not to mention the reason her family fell apart falls largely on Reed so yeah... I can see why she's pissed and hellbent on finding him. Just think, once she finds out about incursions not only will the secret trips and "time to himself" moments will make sense, her getting dragged along to see the kids then Valeria in Latveria while Reed was waiting for the world to end without telling anyone is going to hurt. Dude gave up and was willing to let everyone go with him. She and Doom were right loving there and didn't know how close they were to biting it.

Hickman is going to be writing angry Sue for a while and it's going to be completely justified and awesome.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just think, once she finds out about incursions

I'm pretty sure everyone knows about them now. Especially her, since she said that she was going to put her husband in jail for a long time in this issue.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IUG posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone knows about them now. Especially her, since she said that she was going to put her husband in jail for a long time in this issue.

Well we jumped from Cap telling the Avengers (and putting the call against the Illuminati) to 8 months later. I'm assuming F4 (or Avengers/NA) will touch on how everyone related to the Illuminati reacts to the reveal.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm still wandering why Namor isn't a hunted fugitive like everyone else. When Cap came back to current time and was all like "The Illuminati sucks", his picture was shown.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm still wandering why Namor isn't a hunted fugitive like everyone else. When Cap came back to current time and was all like "The Illuminati sucks", his picture was shown.

He's part of the Cabal, which was shown to have struck some sort of deal with the various world governments.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The Iluminatai are basicaly scapegoats to distract the superhuman comunity from the Cabal.

Or in a ballsy move everybody is actually pissed the Illuminati were just going to let the earth die just so they could feel good about themselves like the selfish bags of dicks they are.

The World is ending
Tchalla : Gotta go get laid!
Tony: Gotta go congratulate myself for not drinking!
Bruce: Need to go gloat over my alternate personality.
Stephen: Gotta go mope at my manservant.
Reed: Gotta go tell Doom to shut the gently caress up.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

The Question IRL posted:

Last I heard Amadeus Cho was the head of the Olympus Corporation, a multi billion dollar company that represented the Greek God's on Earth.

So to hear him gloat about why he deliberately doesn't pay taxes because he is smart and he doesn't like the idea of where the money goes. Um....yeah.

Who is Amadeus Cho?

Atlas Shrugged joke just in case it goes over anyone's head

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

The Question IRL posted:

Head of a multibillion dollar corporation avoiding paying taxes THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN

Cho's just young enough and Internet-savvy enough to have been roped into lolbertarianism. Give him a few years, he'll grow out of it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I do like that 8 Months Later is basically "What If the Avengers All Had Beards" from Wha...Huh?, but with everyone else too.

e: Just realised that Scarlet Witch in it is basically Conchita Wurst.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 16, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Head of a multibillion dollar corporation avoiding paying taxes THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN

Cho's just young enough and Internet-savvy enough to have been roped into lolbertarianism. Give him a few years, he'll grow out of it.

He's a comic book character, he'll never grow out of anything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

He's a comic book character, he'll never grow out of anything.

You know everyone is going to grow out of this amazing beard phase :smith:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the CEO of a major corporation not paying taxes was the most realistic part of that issue. He probably doesn't even need highly-paid accountants to loophole himself out of them!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, the CEO of a major corporation not paying taxes was the most realistic part of that issue. He probably doesn't even need highly-paid accountants to loophole himself out of them!

Makes sense, as the CEO of a Corporation for literal Gods you'd think religious exemptions would apply.

Besides that, who's actually going to try to come and collect "Excuse me, Mrs.Hera? Yes, this is Mr.Wentworth with the IRS, we need to talk about these taxes...wait. I'm sorry my computer seems to have turned into a giant snake that's trying to eat me; I'll have to call you back."

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 16, 2014

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Wanna see Zeus or even Ares and Phobos show up to rescue Amadeus

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I'm not sure Phobos is coming back any time soon. He's probably enjoying Elysium with his dad. :yaycloud:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

The Iluminatai are basicaly scapegoats to distract the superhuman comunity from the Cabal.

Or in a ballsy move everybody is actually pissed the Illuminati were just going to let the earth die just so they could feel good about themselves like the selfish bags of dicks they are.

The World is ending
Tchalla : Gotta go get laid!
Tony: Gotta go congratulate myself for not drinking!
Bruce: Need to go gloat over my alternate personality.
Stephen: Gotta go mope at my manservant.
Reed: Gotta go tell Doom to shut the gently caress up.

it's not like cap would have done anything different, other than "welp hope we can find a way to fix this"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Monaghan posted:

it's not like cap would have done anything different, other than "welp hope we can find a way to fix this"

He would have tried to find a goddamned solution instead of mopping like a child. I did love Young Beast's ice burn on old beast.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

PelvicNerve posted:

I'm not sure Phobos is coming back any time soon. He's probably enjoying Elysium with his dad. :yaycloud:

Plus if they were back, Ares totally would've joined up with the Cabal immediately after he found out what was up.

"I'M SORRY FRIEND NAMOR I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF RETURNING FIRE"

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

He would have tried to find a goddamned solution instead of mopping like a child. I did love Young Beast's ice burn on old beast.

You act like Cap's power of positive thinking is capable of pulling a solution out of his rear end with minutes left on the clock.

Still, yeah, at that point they were fully committed and backing out was just as bad as continuing forward. Once they started taking it upon themselves to destroy worlds to save theirs while simultaneously keeping it secret, refusing to continue while simultaneously still keeping it secret is the most idiotic thing you could do. Either keep blowing worlds up or stop keeping it secret.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

You act like Cap's power of positive thinking is capable of pulling a solution out of his rear end with minutes left on the clock.

Still, yeah, at that point they were fully committed and backing out was just as bad as continuing forward. Once they started taking it upon themselves to destroy worlds to save theirs while simultaneously keeping it secret, refusing to continue while simultaneously still keeping it secret is the most idiotic thing you could do. Either keep blowing worlds up or stop keeping it secret.

No, I just think losing a hard fought battle is better than quitting, and the only reason they gave up is that they killed a world after murdering it's champions, options that wouldn't have been put on the table had they not mind wiped the only moral member of their council. Not to mention every minute they spent developing and building world killing bombs (that, aside from Namor, they weren't willing to use anyways) is a minute the didn't spend finding a more permanent solution.

Like, there's an argument the Illuminati were self-justified if they'd embraced their roll as world killers to save 616 earth, but the first time they were shown the logical end of their methods they gave up all hope.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

To be fair to the Illuminati (and I will say all this, despite how much I disapprove of the actions that they have taken.) we are viewing their decision to do nothing when the Incursion warning hit in some sort of vacuum.

Even ignoring the fact that the team were all shattered after fighting the Great Society. (Iron-Man's armour was broken by Boundless. It took T'Challa and Tony working together to get a Repulsor going. Hulk, Beast and Reed Richards had all been knocked out by a Superman. T'Challa had lost all his spooky powers because Ghost Dad walked away. And Dr. Strange had been drained from casting the Summon HP Lovecraft Monster IX.) and that is a significant factor, that they were all drained and in no position to retrieve another Anti-Matter bomb and attack another world.

They were also completely mentally wrecked. From their point of view they had sacrificed all of their morals and murdered good people who were begging for mercy. And their reward? To be told immediately "do that again."
And that was just too much for everyone bar Namor.
From a character point of view, I think it's a good character beat. They had reached the end of the marathon, they had nothing left to give and couldn't go on. (Plus it nicely contrasts with the Great Society. They were also coming off two Incursions back to back and just sucked it up to do it. Meanwhile the Illuminati just buckled.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

To be fair to the Illuminati (and I will say all this, despite how much I disapprove of the actions that they have taken.) we are viewing their decision to do nothing when the Incursion warning hit in some sort of vacuum.

Even ignoring the fact that the team were all shattered after fighting the Great Society. (Iron-Man's armour was broken by Boundless. It took T'Challa and Tony working together to get a Repulsor going. Hulk, Beast and Reed Richards had all been knocked out by a Superman. T'Challa had lost all his spooky powers because Ghost Dad walked away. And Dr. Strange had been drained from casting the Summon HP Lovecraft Monster IX.) and that is a significant factor, that they were all drained and in no position to retrieve another Anti-Matter bomb and attack another world.

They were also completely mentally wrecked. From their point of view they had sacrificed all of their morals and murdered good people who were begging for mercy. And their reward? To be told immediately "do that again."
And that was just too much for everyone bar Namor.
From a character point of view, I think it's a good character beat. They had reached the end of the marathon, they had nothing left to give and couldn't go on. (Plus it nicely contrasts with the Great Society. They were also coming off two Incursions back to back and just sucked it up to do it. Meanwhile the Illuminati just buckled.)

If Cap had still been on the team, they wouldn't have fought the Great Society, Namor attacking Not Batman would have been met with Captain America smacking Namor upside the head with a vibranium shield.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

If Cap had still been on the team, they wouldn't have fought the Great Society, Namor attacking Not Batman would have been met with Captain America smacking Namor upside the head with a vibranium shield.

616 would also be totally dead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

616 would also be totally dead.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know exactly how much time it takes to turn the Sun into a dyson sphere you affectionately refer to as "Sol's Hammer," but that's a lot of time Tony Stark didn't spend trying to figure out a way to save 616 without committing genocide. Etc. etc. for Richards, McCoy and Dr. Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Destroying the world was the impossible choice that even Cap would have made because not even Captain America is that good a guy, it's why he didn't want them built. Then they decided to kill two universes so they could die feeling better about themselves and not reveal what they had done.

That's what makes them villains.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 18, 2014

• Locked thread