Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Working on a level 10 adventure for Halloween. One thing I noticed: the lack of inflation for AC and to-hit numbers means that, in theory, large numbers of low CR monsters could potentially be a challenge for parties at higher levels. One of my bugbears about 3.Path was that one CR10 monster and 10 CR1 monsters were not equal to a party of level 10 characters. This seems to have solved it, but I won't know until I run it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Peas and Rice posted:

Working on a level 10 adventure for Halloween. One thing I noticed: the lack of inflation for AC and to-hit numbers means that, in theory, large numbers of low CR monsters could potentially be a challenge for parties at higher levels. One of my bugbears about 3.Path was that one CR10 monster and 10 CR1 monsters were not equal to a party of level 10 characters. This seems to have solved it, but I won't know until I run it.

So long as they can survive one AoE, more lowbie monsters tends to be an infinitely more dangerous encounter that one strong one. PC HP scales at a glacial pace, monster damage doesn't.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
IN 3.Path, my experience (at least with my group) was that for a party of 6, two CR6 monsters were WAY more difficult for the party to take down than 12 CR1 monsters, which were minor annoyances at best.

I'm happy that a horde of zombies or a small pack of werewolves might still be a challenge at 10th level.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Transient People posted:

You want the actual quote where they tell you that Levels 1 and 2 are supposed to be the tutorial and the real game where you play for keeps and get your true class stuff starts at 3, or the actual analysis that points at how ridiculously lethal 5e is and how it plays like Shitfarmer Fantasy Vietnam until you have a massive HP buffer and enough wizard bullshit to obviate all of your encounters per day?

I want the quote that says that the journey out of first or second or whatever level bracket is supposed to be like the baton death march. If they actually say "hey don't get too attached to this character because there's a good chance a centaur or bugbear will literally kill them in one hit" then maybe a lot of these lethality complaints are uncalled for.

polisurgist
Sep 16, 2014
I'm thinking of tweaking the Eldritch Knight (and maybe Arcane Trickster) to be a bit more flexible; instead of locking them into the two schools in the class description (evocation/abjuration, I think...don't have my PHB on me), I think I'm going to hold one of those two schools static and let the player choose the other. So they're always going to have magic as an attack or as a defense, but they could do something a bit more unique with the other...an enchanter or necromancer knight seems cool.

I'm not sure which of the two listed schools to lock down, though. Requiring abjuration seems to be more mechanically beneficial, since they can already deal damage decently enough with their fighter abilities, but a lot of the build powers deal with magical attacks.

Or (and I'm probably going to go this way), should it just be that you get two schools, one of which has to be evocation or abjuration?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Rannos22 posted:

I want the quote that says that the journey out of first or second or whatever level bracket is supposed to be like the baton death march. If they actually say "hey don't get too attached to this character because there's a good chance a centaur or bugbear will literally kill them in one hit" then maybe a lot of these lethality complaints are uncalled for.

No, they don't say that. What they say is that the game is a tutorial for beginners at levels 1 and 2, meant to be simple and easy to play. The lethality is just an artifact of lovely game design and sacred cows. I'll see if I can find it.

Peas and Rice posted:

IN 3.Path, my experience (at least with my group) was that for a party of 6, two CR6 monsters were WAY more difficult for the party to take down than 12 CR1 monsters, which were minor annoyances at best.

I'm happy that a horde of zombies or a small pack of werewolves might still be a challenge at 10th level.

Correct. This is because of math scaling. It's actually kind of very lovely that monsters that are fair challenges at low levels remain competitive at high ones because it means you can actually never pull off what Aragorn or Boromir or Gimli or Legolas do in Lord of the Rings, but that's just my opinion. I like it when characters truly begin to take on a mythical tone and being zerged almost literally by twenty rust monsters means that's almost impossible.

polisurgist
Sep 16, 2014

Transient People posted:

You want the actual quote where they tell you that Levels 1 and 2 are supposed to be the tutorial and the real game where you play for keeps and get your true class stuff starts at 3, or the actual analysis that points at how ridiculously lethal 5e is and how it plays like Shitfarmer Fantasy Vietnam until you have a massive HP buffer and enough wizard bullshit to obviate all of your encounters per day?

I think my plan for dealing with this is going to be that levels 1-2 are going to mainly feature groups of 1/8 - 1/2 CR enemies. Once they hit 3, I'm going to feel a lot better about having equal CR adversaries. The tendency of everything to be linear when a curve would suffice is a bit of a drag; this feels like something that you'd put in the DMG, though who knows.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

Transient People posted:

To be fair, fantasy Vietnam (or at least Cambodia) makes for a pretty nice setting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Remember, after the three years of open playtests, NEXT went through the math wringer before being released so you know everything is probably as it should be

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Transient People posted:

Correct. This is because of math scaling. It's actually kind of very lovely that monsters that are fair challenges at low levels remain competitive at high ones because it means you can actually never pull off what Aragorn or Boromir or Gimli or Legolas do in Lord of the Rings, but that's just my opinion. I like it when characters truly begin to take on a mythical tone and being zerged almost literally by twenty rust monsters means that's almost impossible.

I always assumed Aragon was like level 20.

The opposite I guess is what you get in the Hobbit, where the dwarves literally carve their way through hundreds of orcs such that you're finally just rolling your eyes and thinking "goddamn it, the players and the GM are fudging their natural 20s here."

quote:

To be fair, fantasy Vietnam (or at least Cambodia) makes for a pretty nice setting.

Delta Green motherfuckers!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

I actually assume he is, too. And he still gets pretty much bopped by an appropriate orcmass. I should just do an encounter mockup and put into perspective how silly Next can be about PC fragility when the Big Strong Wizard Man isn't babying you.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Extra damage? Advantage on saves? More things to do with your special dice and more opportunities to use them? Even harder to kill than everyone else in the party? D&D fighters never had anything like that before, we better give this stuff out to other classes, for, uh, balance reasons.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Y'know, I'm kinda down with the idea of "flat math" and all that. But...

quote:

Beowulf slew Grendel by tearing his arm off. He later killed a dragon almost singlehandedly. Roland slew or gravely injured four hundred Saracens in a single battle. In the world of D&D, a skilled fighter is a one-person army. You can expect fighters to do fairly mundane things with weapons, but with such overwhelming skill that none can hope to stand against them.

... it makes the stated design goals for the poor fightingman a little hard to reach.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Peas and Rice posted:

I always assumed Aragon was like level 20.

The opposite I guess is what you get in the Hobbit, where the dwarves literally carve their way through hundreds of orcs such that you're finally just rolling your eyes and thinking "goddamn it, the players and the GM are fudging their natural 20s here."

Delta Green motherfuckers!
There was a post somewhere about how all the LotR characters were level 5ish. I think gandalf was a bit higher, but still in the single digits.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

I know this is a joke, but I've actually known people who are seemingly unable to engage with other forms of media without filtering it through the lens of D&D rules and it's the saddest loving thing.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent
I think the martial dice were bland. It seems like a klunky ability that is derived from the system rather than from trying to think of something cool for fighters to do. Sort of how I feel about action points (or any number of other mechanics that are included). I wish there was something cooler.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Transient People posted:

If anything, bounded math makes 5E better able to make those fights interesting. If Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas were 3.X characters, they would only get hit by 1/20 attacks from those mooks. They pretty much automatically hit and automatically kill an orc with every attack they make. It's impressive, but not much fun, and the players would know that they aren't in any danger from the infinity orcs in Sauron's army.

For 3, say, 12th level characters, fighting 20 orcs would still be an interesting combat in 5E. Even with a Fireball tagging 4-5 of them per cast, some will make their saves and probably live, and even with a caster having very effective AoE spells prepared, some of them are still going to survive long enough to make it an contest. The orcs are at a slight disadvantage in hitting the characters whose ACs are likely in the 19-20 range, but they will connect and do damage.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

The Crotch posted:

Y'know, I'm kinda down with the idea of "flat math" and all that. But...

... it makes the stated design goals for the poor fightingman a little hard to reach.

Note: That number is hilariously, ludicrously off to the point it makes it clear that nobody in the design team ever read the Matter of France. The number of Saracens Roland fought wasn't four hundred, it was four hundred thousand. And he cleaved a mountain open with Durandal. If he's the model for a high level Fighter, Next is a miserable failure.

quote:

If anything, bounded math makes 5E better able to make those fights interesting. If Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas were 3.X characters, they would only get hit by 1/20 attacks from those mooks. They pretty much automatically hit and automatically kill an orc with every attack they make. It's impressive, but not much fun, and the players would know that they aren't in any danger from the infinity orcs in Sauron's army.

For 3, say, 12th level characters, fighting 20 orcs would still be an interesting combat in 5E. Even with a Fireball tagging 4-5 of them per cast, some will make their saves and probably live, and even with a caster having very effective AoE spells prepared, some of them are still going to survive long enough to make it an contest. The orcs are at a slight disadvantage in hitting the characters whose ACs are likely in the 19-20 range, but they will connect and do damage.

Notice how you have a Big Wizard Man babying the poor stupid martials to make that fight interesting and not a total TPK. That, right there, is the problem. Try running an all martial party and come back to me with the results, we'll if a 20 dude fight is interesting instead of lethal then.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

OctoberCountry posted:

I know this is a joke, but I've actually known people who are seemingly unable to engage with other forms of media without filtering it through the lens of D&D rules and it's the saddest loving thing.

I absolutely agree. It didn't even occur to me until the chase down the river scene in the most recent Hobbit movie, when I though, "christ, this is what would happen when the players and the GM are just cheating their socks off and no one's calling them on it."

Which probably says more about the mediocrity of the Hobbit movies more than anything.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
Wow, one of the moves for the Knight in the playtest is that there's an ability named "Defender" that functioned similarly to how the fighting style Protection works, except that if the melee attacker chose to attack YOU instead of what you gave disadvantage to, you kept your reaction. That would have helped with stickiness for fighters/paladins.

Edit: And what would become Sweeping Attack let you add your strength modifier onto the attack instead of just being your expertise dice.

Power Player fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 15, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

friendlyfire posted:

I think the martial dice were bland. It seems like a klunky ability that is derived from the system rather than from trying to think of something cool for fighters to do. Sort of how I feel about action points (or any number of other mechanics that are included). I wish there was something cooler.

I don't think the dice were bland, as they were just the resource by which the mechanics were activated, but a number of the effects were certainly unexciting. Perhaps that's what could've been changed? At the very least I think the fighter should've been able to spend additional dice in order to turn the dice abilities into a more powerful versions.

Peas and Rice posted:

I absolutely agree. It didn't even occur to me until the chase down the river scene in the most recent Hobbit movie, when I though, "christ, this is what would happen when the players and the GM are just cheating their socks off and no one's calling them on it."

Which probably says more about the mediocrity of the Hobbit movies more than anything.

I almost fell asleep in the theater during that scene :smith:

S.J. fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 15, 2014

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Transient People posted:

Notice how you have a Big Wizard Man babying the poor stupid martials to make that fight interesting and not a total TPK. That, right there, is the problem. Try running an all martial party and come back to me with the results, we'll if a 20 dude fight is interesting instead of lethal then.
So if I don't include a Wizard in the group, you bitch that this is only possible because we don't have a supreme overlord in the party, hogging the spotlight, and if I do, he's trivializing the encounter?

I didn't do the encounter budget math, maybe 14 is the right loving number, I don't know. Each martial can probably kill about 2 orcs every round, and every third orc hits for 9 damage. That's about 50 damage the first round, divided among the martials, 35 the second round, 20 the third, and less than 10 the fourth. It's enough to have seriously worn down each party member, probably not knock any of them out. Whatever the results are, there is some reasonable number of orcs that is an appropriate challenge for high level characters.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

S.J. posted:

I don't think the dice were bland, as they were just the resource by which the mechanics were activated, but a number of the effects were certainly unexciting. Perhaps that's what could've been changed? At the very least I think the fighter should've been able to spend additional dice in order to turn the dice abilities into a more powerful versions.

Drop one of the dice to trip, drop another die to push the guy they just hit 3 spaces, drop a die to retroactively have +2 to hit, drop a die to make their attack bypass resistance. These aren't really thrilling, but at least they add flexibility. Though that does run contrary to the implicit design goal of "this guy is just a jerk with a sword".

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Those effects certainly run contrary to the idea of a one man army at least. Relatively marginal benefits for what is, in context, a serious expenditure of resources for a fighter. Ugh.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent
I sort of like the idea of treating fighters as sort of mobile terrain. Like, give them something like: "Any time an enemy enters an adjacent space, their movement ends." That's super-sticky, not MMO-seeming (I hope), and probably not a huge power bump. It just lets them do their job a bit better.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
IIRC from earlier in the thread, Relentless used to give you back 1 superiority die every turn, rather than every encounter. And that Next briefly flirted with damage-on-a-miss

S.J.
May 19, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

IIRC from earlier in the thread, Relentless used to give you back 1 superiority die every turn, rather than every encounter. And that Next briefly flirted with damage-on-a-miss

And then whole subforums were devoted to this topic

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

friendlyfire posted:

I sort of like the idea of treating fighters as sort of mobile terrain. Like, give them something like: "Any time an enemy enters an adjacent space, their movement ends." That's super-sticky, not MMO-seeming (I hope), and probably not a huge power bump. It just lets them do their job a bit better.

You really shouldn't include how "MMO-seeming" a mechanic is as a serious criteria when you're designing it. MMOs, computer games and RPGs share so many elements that you'd be left with nothing to use if you tried to exclude it, not to mention that "MMO-seeming" is basically a meaningless term.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

friendlyfire posted:

Says a lot of stuff I agree with.

It seems like this thread is dogpiling on you, and I just wanted to pipe up saying that you've brought up a lot of what I consider to be fair points.

The amount of grogginess in this thread is overboard. As someone who's played 5e for close to 20 hours (with a cool group of people including my wife -- so this may have colored my experience), most of the complaints in this thread (e.g. the save system sucks, fighters suck, opportunity attacks are worthless, the unconscious/death system sucks, etc.) conflict with my personal experience playing Hoard of the Dragon Queen. Based on my last few play sessions, I actually think 5e is a more progressive system than 13th Age (note, my only experience playing 13th Age was near the end of "beta" at a couple of Conventions). 5e also feels vastly better than Pathfinder/3.x, which is key for me.

So Centaurs, Intellect Devourers (or whatever they're called), along with some other monsters are out of whack for their difficulty rating. This honestly just seems like a minor thing and easily fixed "on-the-fly" by a GM.

I do think that 5e combat can be more deadly than the other systems. This means you just have to play smart and have a fair GM. But as someone who enjoys more challenging combat scenarios (e.g. in PFS I killed Runelord Krune on "hard mode," surviving a GM that was trying his best to kill us, and attempted to Wish our level 11-12 party into the sun), I don't mind this.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Dahbadu posted:

I actually think 5e is a more progressive system than 13th Age

:allears:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Dahbadu posted:

easily fixed "on-the-fly" by a GM.
I don't think anyone's arguing that it's not easy to fix.

We're arguing that *we shouldn't have to*.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Well, it's not like 13th age is a paragon of progressiveness either.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait, people dislike the death saving throws thing? I thought that had basically unanimous approval here. The closest thing to a complaint about it that I've seen is that it's easy for enemies to accidentally bypass it entirely by bringing someone straight to dead at low levels.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Andrast posted:

They dumped alignments at least :shrug:

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Andrast posted:

It sure isn't. At least it isn't aggressively retrograde as Next.

Encounter math works, the system actually supports TotM combat — it's like an intellectually honest version of Next made by non-poo poo designers.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Crotch posted:

Wait, people dislike the death saving throws thing? I thought that had basically unanimous approval here. The closest thing to a complaint about it that I've seen is that it's easy for enemies to accidentally bypass it entirely by bringing someone straight to dead at low levels.

I don't think I've seen any posts disliking it here, but that's not to say no-one does.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

The Crotch posted:

Yeah, that's the complaint I'm talking about. Based on my experience, I disagree with it. I've falling unconscious like 3-4 times during play (I'm the tank in our group), from levels 1-3, so I have some experience being near death in 5e. I've felt "safer" compared to a near death state in Pathfinder/3.5.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I don't think much of 5e, but I have no complaints with the death-and-dying rules, they're pretty similar to 4e's, and a billion times better than 3e's "you die at -10" which was reasonable at 1st level but got ridiculous later on.

Dahbadu posted:

Yeah, that's the complaint I'm talking about. Based on my experience, I disagree with it. I've falling unconscious like 3-4 times during play (I'm the tank in our group), from levels 1-3, so I have some experience being near death in 5e. I've felt "safer" compared to a near death state in Pathfinder/3.5.

That's not a complaint about the death rules, that's a complaint about monsters that can take you from full HP to dead before your turn even comes up.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

This is the first time I've heard that some people don't like the death rules.

Edit:

Gort posted:

That's not a complaint about the death rules, that's a complaint about monsters that can take you from full HP to dead before your turn even comes up.
Yeah, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Dahbadu posted:

5e also feels vastly better than Pathfinder/3.x, which is key for me.

I think this is the heart of it for me. Since I pretty much skipped 4e entirely and no one in our group wants to run it, we're fine going straight to 5e, and the 5e rules are what I wanted 3.P to be.

E: There aren't any online character creators yet, are there. Sigh.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 15, 2014